PDA

View Full Version : Lara on the big screen!!

trfreak5
12th Jun 2008, 14:37
Seeing Lara Croft in a movie was really cool!! Do you all think

that the films are major source of some of Lara's new fans?

Should they even make a third film? :rasp:

TDK
12th Jun 2008, 14:44
ya they should make more of TR films tho the 2nd film was kind rubbish
but ya i want to see TR on big screen but bring good directors like
Steven Spielberg or maybe Stephen Sommers cuz both of them did a great adventure films like indy for (steve) and the mummy for (stephen).
and i suggest if they use the original stories like imagin if Tr:L is a film tht would be smthin gd

Mangar The Dark
12th Jun 2008, 15:56
My main problem with the movies is that they focused so much on trying to make her cool and trendy, almost to the point where they forgot to make her human. Characters are most interesting when they have some weaknesses, fears, flaws, etc. And doing things in spite of fear is what makes someone brave. For me, this is one of the many reasons why the Indiana Jones movies are so much better than the TR movies-- Indy is an everyman who gets in over his head, and yet somehow, despite overwhelming odds, manages to scrape through in the end. We can all relate to him because he's not perfect, and yet he's just that little bit more skilled/lucky than we would be, so we can admire him.

If they do a third movie, I really want them to take some time to focus on making her more human. Don't make her so sure of herself at all times. Let's see some fear in her eyes when something big happens. Let's see some character growth through her adventures. I know these movies were meant to just be mindless popcorn films, and I'm not saying they should slow the movie to a grinding halt so that they can explore her character, but there are ways to develop character while still telling an exciting story.

They also need to pace the adventure better. Look at the succession of encounters she faced in TR1-- Huge robot, sword weilding statue, and finally, a fist fight with some guy. That's backwards! A fist fight is the least impressive, so don't make that the grand finale, especially not after you already set the audience up with giant robots and sword weilding statues.

Once they get the script done, they then need a better director-- someone who will focus on telling a solid story, not on trying to look cool with flashy shots and gimmicky cinematography.

I think the franchise has huge potential for a good movie, but they need to treat it as a proper film. I feel like with the first two films, they settled for the attitude of, "Hey, if we throw in enough MTV style stuff, the kids will like it."

Ok, wow, I really over analyzed a mindless movie, didn't I? lol.

Fickji
12th Jun 2008, 18:19
The first movie was great but the deleted scenes should have been put in. The action was pretty good but the fist fight was a tad drawn out and fakey.

The Second movie was blah.

Mangar The Dark
They also need to pace the adventure better. Look at the succession of encounters she faced in TR1-- Huge robot, sword weilding statue, and finally, a fist fight with some guy. That's backwards! A fist fight is the least impressive, so don't make that the grand finale, especially not after you already set the audience up with giant robots and sword weilding statues.

That is what it felt like in both movies. The ending climax wasn't over the top and explosive. And most of the really good scenes from both movies took place in the middle. Even the really cool bike scenes were in the middle of the movie. The endings were more character development than anything else.

If they made the movies more about archialogy and trying to find stuff with JUST the essencels (pistols, flares, motorcycle) and thats all she had to work with with more athletic moves than that would be a better movie. And added a ton more tombs and traps.

Critical of it arn't I

Mangar The Dark
13th Jun 2008, 13:41
Also, maybe I'm a bit stupid, but what was the point of that little girl in Cambodia in the first movie? Who was she? Why was she there?
(it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, so maybe I'm forgetting something obvious.)

Fickji
13th Jun 2008, 15:00
Didn't the little girl show up in the ice village to. Lara sees the flowers from Cambodia where the little girl disappears.

I read the book and it explained alot of what the movie didn't. Time because of the triangle was splintering the closer it came to getting it. Thats why the civillzation was destroyed anyways. So this little girl is a symbolic version of Lara's wish to see and be with her father again. The little girl also warns Lara that she could really mess up everything if she sees him again.

I wonder if I actually still have the book?:scratch:

It actually had a better fight scene. Lara was suppose to throw the evil bad dude into one of those time rips. If you watch one of the behind the scenes thing it shows you what happened to him

Mangar The Dark
13th Jun 2008, 16:09
I read the book and it explained alot of what the movie didn't. Time because of the triangle was splintering the closer it came to getting it. Thats why the civillzation was destroyed anyways. So this little girl is a symbolic version of Lara's wish to see and be with her father again. The little girl also warns Lara that she could really mess up everything if she sees him again.

Ah... ok. Thanks. I wish the movie had taken more time to explain things like that. As it was, it just seemed a bit random.

I just recently ordered the movie because I found it online for less than $1, so I'll watch it again soon. I know I seem really negative about it, but that's mainly because I think it had the potential to be so much more if they had better writers and a less flashy director.

Larahair
16th Jun 2008, 20:03
Yes I want to see another tr movie but I would like to be like the games drawn not that I mind aj but I just want to see look like eg: legend.

Mangar The Dark
17th Jun 2008, 15:14
I watched the first movie last night, after not having seen it for several years. It's not TOO bad, and some scenes really work, but one thing that bugs me is the amount of posing that Angelina does-- Too many little wink-like, smug, "aren't I just wonderful?" gestures at the camera. She's much better when she's just acting, not posing.

Marcus T
20th Jun 2008, 09:28
Yes I want to see another tr movie but I would like to be like the games drawn not that I mind aj but I just want to see look like eg: legend.

A cgi movie? If the project's given to the right people, I don't see why not :)

domina
20th Jun 2008, 15:49
I know for a fact that the movies have--Well, I want to say "tainted," but I'll go with "influenced" instead--non-gamers who weren't familiar with Lara. Anytime I say I like Tomb Raider, I'll have folks respond "You mean Angelina Jolie?" :rolleyes: Not really, but thanks for playing.

The first movie wasn't that bad given what it was - Most movies from video games are lucky if they can reach the higher end of below par. I agree with the misplacement of the action sequences and I don't really care for Angelina as Lara, but the locations were lovely and the artifact felt very TRish; plus, I'm a sucker for films with bad-ass chicks. And I actually found Bryce and Hilary endearing, and decent companions for Lara.

The second movie was terrible. TERRIBLE. As much as I like Ciaran Hinds, I found his character unsuitable for a TR setting. Everything about the second movie felt like they were trying to make a watered down, female version of a Bond movie, and still failed miserably. And again, although I like Gerad Butler and I liked his character in the context of himself, he didn't fit with Lara.

I think the problem with making a TR movie, at least with what was given in the previous games, is that Lara was never a very developed character. A great video game character that is compelling to play, but within a movie that wants character development, emotion, etc., she doesn't translate well. She doesn't really have the personal charisma of say, Indy or Rick from The Mummy.