PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Gaming Moment Ever

Rindill the Red
10th Jun 2008, 05:44
My favorite gaming moment ever had to be in the original Deus Ex when you just get down to the sewer from the weird garden maze and Icarus scares the crap out of you by coming on screen suddenly and talking in his creepy computer voice. I FOUND YOU...

Second greatest gaming moment ever, you are in jail and Daedulus contacts you, disables the power and opens the door.

mad_red
10th Jun 2008, 08:06
1. Stepping into the Synapse (Hong Kong Market).
2. Anna blowing away Lebedev in front of my eyes.
3. Suspicion confirmed: the MJ12 exit leads to Unatco.
4. Arrival on a locked-down Paris skyscraper rooftop.
5. The Tracer Tong ending.
6. The Omar ending.

Other games:
- PS: Torment ending.
- Fang the Draconian.
- Cain shoots Seth in the head.
- Link enters the Dark World.
- Gordon Freeman meets the marines.

DXeXodus
10th Jun 2008, 10:49
Deus Ex memorable gaming moments has already been discussed here....

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75047

Psychophobe
22nd Jun 2008, 22:13
- Gordon Freeman meets the marines.

Yeah that was excellent knife-in-the-expected play by Valve. Half life 1 had a good rich and largely unique and refreshing view on FPS.... because the character wasn't all guns blazing.

But Half-life 2 was a gaming disappointment. Graphical marvel, nonetheless.

AaronJ
22nd Jun 2008, 23:42
The Walton Simons/NSF Terrorists interrogation scene.

SemiAnonymous
24th Jun 2008, 04:37
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!

That thing freaked me out, made me realize just how powerful Icarus was, and just how dangerous he was. Of course, I was expecting a fight against him after that, dunno how that would have worked

EDIT: Blast, it doesn't make the arrow. Oh well, you all know it

Lo Bruto
24th Jun 2008, 05:15
All moments with Simons.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 05:57
1. Half-Life - During the accident the alien slaves circle you while you are flashing through their world.
2. Deus ex - Paris base where you kill Gunther. AWESOME LEVEL DESIGN. The whole level was epic.
3. Deus ex 2 - Gunther's skul-gun order form.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 06:45
KOTOR 1. I think we all kind of saw it coming after a little while (especially since my friend told me there is A HUGE TWIST AT THE END OMG), but I thought it still rocked anyway. I was like "pwah! awesome!"

Hard to think of a lot of others. My memory sucks. But I'm sure there are more. I think there was something in KOTOR 2 I loved as well. Same with something in the Thief series. Damn, I can't remember the details though.

alzheimers
24th Jun 2008, 14:49
The best gaming moment ever?

Finally meeting Polito in System Shock 2.

The best Deus Ex moment? The standoff with Anna Navarre in Lebedev's plane. Really, that scene is the defining moment of the entire game, confronted with the decision to kill the man who might answer all your doubts vs following orders and being a good soldier.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 15:01
I loved the part where you wake up in the MJ12 building and Daedalus starts talking to you and breaking you out. That felt so awesome.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 19:26
I loved the part where you wake up in the MJ12 building and Daedalus starts talking to you and breaking you out. That felt so awesome.

I remember that so well. totally kick ass.

Absentia
24th Jun 2008, 19:43
I'm not sure about favourite moment EVER, but here are some.

Deus Ex: The Lebedev dilemma. Already been described before, the rising sense of mistrust and rebellion that starts on this level is brilliant.

The Chronicles of Riddik: Escape From Butcher Bay: After you kill Rust, and you are taken into the Infirmary, where there is a room with two soldiers, one of them is armed and one of them isn't. This is the first time that you can really say a big "screw you!" to the prison guards, strangling one to death and then beating the hell out of the other. Feels great.

Grim Fandango: Talking to Carla in the back of the police station, making your own interjections, and obsessing over her metal detector. Generally I love so many things about Grim Fandango.

Psychonauts: the entire Milkman Conspiracy level. Trippy and hilarious.

F.E.A.R Finally killing Paxton Fettel. Realising that although he has so much power which had tormented you throughout the game, he's still only flesh and bone, and collapses to the ground with one shot to the temple.

stokesy131
24th Jun 2008, 19:49
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Icarus found you!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!
Run while you can!

That thing freaked me out, made me realize just how powerful Icarus was, and just how dangerous he was. Of course, I was expecting a fight against him after that, dunno how that would have worked

EDIT: Blast, it doesn't make the arrow. Oh well, you all know it

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!
>>>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

theres the arrow

same for me
it was like oooomg i was expecting to meet icarusfor a while , i imagined it would be like helios but in a room with icaruses avatar on all of the walls

Tsumaru
25th Jun 2008, 03:45
Icarus totally spooked me out the first time playing. I was like "OMG HE'S IN MY HEAD - HOW CAN I POSSIBLY SURVIVE?!?!"

Jerion
25th Jun 2008, 05:39
My Favorite Gaming moment?

Tough to say, especially regarding Deus Ex.

One of them, though.....

"A Bomb is a bad choice for close-range combat."

Seriously, though, I think my favorite moment is teh Lebedev scene. Second Favorite, though, is the confrontation with Walton Simons at Area 51. I love JC's comeback: "That makes me one ugly son-of-a-*****. How'd my face get all marked up with bio-electrics?"

v.dog
25th Jun 2008, 08:31
The end of Portal is the best ever, hand down. Other good ones were:
The Resonance Cascade in Half-Life.
Being jumped on by the head-crab in the tunnel at the top of the cliff in HL, reeling backwards, and falling to my death (and almost falling out of my chair).
Realising I just killed Anna on the jet in Dues Ex.
Encountering The Many in System Shock 2.
Blowing up my mate's spitfire with a tank round just as he took off in Battlefield 1942.
Watching my mate go reeling back in his chair as I did so, breaking it and nearly his back. :eek: :lol:

GruntOwner
25th Jun 2008, 10:25
Daedalus: I... I...
Stanton Dowd: I'm losing Daedalus
Helios: WE...............

'Nuff said really, we all know what I'm talking about, even if I may have gotten the order wrong.

Halo 3: Rescuing Cortana, out of relief because that level was like playing any other level on legendary, on easy, and party because I had finally rescued Cortana from several days of mindrape.

Mass Effect: The most effective way of dealing with Saren first time. You know what I mean.

Startropia: Pretty much all of the dialogue. "Your lack of inneptitude is a blessing, but please [something about objectives]."

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 11:32
when does ICARUS find you, I thought it was after destroying the UC... I forget when it is.

Jerion
25th Jun 2008, 12:46
I think he finds you when you return to NYC- Hack Smuggler's computer and you'll get that supremely creepy message.

Blade_hunter
25th Jun 2008, 12:59
All moments in DX, especially on the NSF prisoners interrogation.
Put sticky bombs to Red faction's blue guards :D
Burn enemies in some games they will run and scream :D

Professional No Lifer
27th Jun 2008, 09:48
Hello to all.

Favorite action moments:

-the fight with Walter Simons
-escaping MJ 12 Labs
-fighting the MJ 12 troops in Paul's apartment

Favorite funny moments:

-Gunther and Anna talking about the soda machine
-the NSF trooper who confused "philanthropist" with "philosopher" : "A philanthropist ? You mean like Nietzsche ?"
-the dialogue JC had with the guy stalking the hotel owner's daughter: "You have 10 seconds to get out of here."
-at UNATCO level 3, the dialogue between a trooper and a secretary, where the guy plays all tough. Trooper:"There were like 12 guys in there..." Secretary: "*gasp* Weren't you scared?" Trooper: "No, us UNATCO are trained in those sort of things".

Favorite plot moments:
-the philosophical discussion between JC and Helios about democracy
-when Sam Carter let's you in the armory to load up. "I'm gonna open the armory, get in and grab what you can."

And many more, which I can't remember exactly right now. Also, the quotes my not be the exact same as in the game.

PNL

jordan_a
29th Jun 2008, 16:35
Deus Ex memorable gaming moments has already been discussed here....
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75047
He's right, we don't need several similar threads. Thanks.

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jun 2008, 18:14
Favorite moment (to have the time to even get this set up to work even, too...oh, the beauty of DX!)...

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=743396&postcount=17

The game isn't 100% non-linear, but the freedom in a FPS like game to find your own way to combat baddies (and not be penalized for thinking outside the box...or HURRY, HURRY, HURRY!), is what sets DX apart from 99% of the games out there.

Just connected the dots, trash cans explode makes shrapnel + major MiB+ mob coming after you = finding a way to conserve as much ammo as possible, and wipe them out with weapons at hand.

Can't get this goodness in other games.

v.dog
29th Jun 2008, 20:35
He's right, we don't need several similar threads. Thanks.This thread is for the non-Deus Ex moments :)

Bluey71
29th Jun 2008, 21:48
Red Faction - the first time I got called 'Scum!' by one of the guards.
Half Life - the intro, got to be the best ever.
Loads from Deus Ex - The chateu when gunther starts talking ''I see you, like a thief in the night'' that was just awesome.
Thief:The Dark Project - cant remember which mission this was - when emerging from a cave and hearing the piped music for the first time, Garret makes a comment like 'piped music,classy'.

Here's a different one from eve online,mmo - receiving a war declaration from the best pvp alliance in the game - that was a oh ***** moment...

EDIT: Theres another one - System Shock 2, well into the game, near the bridge I think you pick up an audio log from one of the 2 main players in the storyline. When the log plays you get an image of the what the guy looks like after his mind has been warped by the many - another awesome moment.

commander 199514cc
30th Jun 2008, 00:32
Mine has to be in the game FEAR were you enter a vent shaft and the little girl crawls at you like the gruge at 90 MPH i almost hurld my laptop i was so freaked out.

jd10013
30th Jun 2008, 22:24
favorite of all time would have to be polito in SS2.

favorite DX moments would have to be:
1. Meeting Paul in airplane hanger. When he said "I'm with the NSF" kind of upset the apple cart. Up until then it had always been, go out and complete mission, report back, get paid, heal, steal whatever you can, then go on your next mission. After that, I knew there was a lot more going on, and that cushy job of mine probably wasn't going to last much longer.

2. finding out Paul had died, and then seeing him dead, in the MJ12 base. at that point I didn't know you could save him. and when Daedalus said he was dead and I need to get his info link It made me kind of sad. I had become kind of attached to him at that point, and when that map first started loading the first thing I though about was what happened to him. I assumed he was just in a cell like me. And seeing him on the table kind of freaked me out a little too. Needless to say, I found out shortly after that mission he could be saved and went back and saved him. :)

Station409
3rd Jul 2008, 09:46
My favourite gaming moment in Dues Ex was something i didn't even intend.

On the airplane I was trying to prevent Anna Navarre from killing the guy so I could see if I could talk to him further. I had reloaded a save just before I got on the plane, and instead of talking to the contact, I carried every barrel I could find up to the doors and set them against it so the doors couldn't be opened.

What I didn't realize was two of the barrels were explosive. When she opened the doors, they blew up, and straight away I got a voice on my com system "Geeze JC, that was Agent Navarre you just wasted! Don't worry, I've deleted that from your mission logs."

I still can't seem to repeat it though. Pity, cause it was funny.

Kevyne-Shandris
3rd Jul 2008, 09:58
I just blew her up with a GEP gun. SPLAT!

It's sad that it didn't even matter with Lebedev for either option.

MaxxQ1
3rd Jul 2008, 16:07
Not a DX gaming moment, but one from Baldur's Gate. I forget what area it's in, but you run into a kobold and a couple of other creatures. Instead of attacking them, you talk to them and they introduce themselves as Larry, Darryl, and Darryl. You have the option of saying "Who?", or "Can I have your autograph?"

gettrix
4th Jul 2008, 03:34
Greatest gaming moments:

The Chronicles of R i d d i c k :Escape From Butcher Bay, the entire game.

Farcry, where you are left unarmed facing a mutant, than you have to grab a M16, quickly shoot it and then run for your life by jumping down the waterfall and swimming through the river.

Resident Evil 4, the entire game.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, when you are on a boat to a beautiful island, with crystal superb and legendary HL2 water and sandy beach, and than you face Orcs in the ruins.

Half Life 2, first chapter, from going off the train to escaping Overwatch.

SW: Republic Commando, the part where you board the invaded republic ship and discover what is going on.

Romeo
4th Jul 2008, 04:34
FarCry - The first time you against those mammoth mutants, only to realize that you can waste literally all your ammo and STILL they keep coming.

Gears of War - When you're walking through a hallway and one of those psychopathic little bastards jumps through a broken window at you.

F.E.A.R. - Like the guy above said - crawling through a shaft and having Alma sprint past you quick as lightning.

Silent Hill 2 - Walking through a pitch black hallway, and then having your radio start cackling.

Halo - The flood. Period.

gettrix
4th Jul 2008, 08:08
Halo - The flood. Period.

Yes, Halo had many great moments, I was totally disappointed with Halo 2 and 3.

jcp28
4th Jul 2008, 16:59
This isn't my favorite ever, just memorable but on the 4th level in Half Life, you go through this office complex. At some point, you get to this big room. The lights go out, and these head crabs come pouring out of a nearby ventilation duct. The suddeness took me by great surprise. Also, the voice of Nilhilanth you hear while traveling through Xen was as creepy as hell. It made me kind of think "Will I get out alive?" even though I could always reboot from my last save if needed.:D In the expansion Opposing Force, you just miss Gordon Freeman running through the portal to Xen. As Shepard's original mission was to kill the survivors, there was this whole "Wait up!" feeling.

Then there's that point in Unreal where all the lights go out, and you come under attack by the Skaarj aliens. Pretty damn scary.

urban_queen41
11th Jul 2008, 02:39
A few personal faves...

Red Faction- That huge robot that you have to lure into the pit to destroy (anyone remember what I'm talking about?). Can only be described as epic. It took me forever to figure out what to actually do- I sat there with a rocket launcher for ages before realising it didn't do anything... And the first time meeting Hendrix was pretty awesome. Oh, and the very first guard you have to kill in the game- he has a pistol, you have a prod. Try it on impossible.

Silent Hill 2- Pretty much the whole game- one of my all time faves. All the symbolism and deep psychological meaning was amazing. But the first time you meet Pyramid Head...I will never forget it. Also, finding out
*spoiler*

that James killed Mary. Completely blew my mind, and once you know that every little thing in the game takes on a new meaning. James' intro, for example, rambling about how it was impossible that his wife could have sent him a letter. At the time, a bit irritating, but looking back you really see that he wasn't all there.

F.E.A.R.- As has been mentioned before, Alma coming at you through the vent. The elevator was also awesome.

SSX3- Linking a 30-minute combo from the top of Peak 3 all the way to the bottom of Peak 1.

Black- Finally completing the final level- the Spetriniv Gulag. A three and a half hour level, with only three checkpoints through the whole thing.

Deus Ex moments:

Seeing Paul's dead body on that table in the MJ-12 base. On my first playthrough, I didn't realise I could save him. I had become pretty attached to Paul during the game, and when he died I was pretty upset =[

Waking up in the cell, WTFing because there was no way out, then hearing Daedalus' voice. Such a classic moment in gaming.

Most of the Lucky Money club, including 'I speeel my drink!' The two Australian chicks at the door cracked me up so much. No, we don't really speak like that...

Icarus' 'ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!' message. Actually have a funny story to tell about that one...

Me and my non-DX-playing friend pranked a guy I know who is also a DX fan. We created two MSN accounts, one called Daedalus (which I controlled) and one called Icarus (which my friend controlled). We invited the guy into a convo, made our display pics the infolink icons for our characters, and began to talk to him in character as if we were Icarus/Daedalus. He had no idea who it was that was pranking him. We quoted lines directly from the game, and talked to him as if he was JC Denton. I distinctly remember getting my friend to copy/paste the ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU quote to him over and over again. We did this a few times over the course of a few months. The last time we talked to him as Daedalus and Icarus, he began to play along as if he was JC Denton. I told my friend to sign out of the conversation, and I changed my MSN name to Helios, changed the DP to Helios' infolink icon, and kept talking to him as if I was Helios. We actually ended up playing out parts of Area 51 XD His reaction when I told him that it was me the whole time was priceless.

HouseOfPain
11th Jul 2008, 02:44
Wow haha now THATS friendship, urban queen

Freddo
14th Jul 2008, 00:59
Anything with SHODAN really :p

Like when one is in a small room and set a bomb to explode in a few seconds, and she locks the door out of there. Oh snap!

urban_queen41
14th Jul 2008, 08:02
Wow haha now THATS friendship, urban queen

Ah, it was a great prank. Me and my friend used to do that to people all the time...we sat around for a whole day while on a boring excursion plotting pranks on people. But my favourite prank we did was of course the DX one =] I think I still have those convos somewhere...

Necros
14th Jul 2008, 11:02
Oh, there are so many... :( A couple of them have already been mentioned here, so I'll just pick one of the lot that hasn't been here yet:

Call of Cthulhu
When you are escaping from the locals in the hotel. :cool: If you don't know about this great game, here's what I'm talking about: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3-CyUOVtImc

Psychopomp
19th Jul 2008, 04:56
Half Life 2:Every last one of the "Breen-casts."

Deus Ex: ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU, RUN WHILE YOU CAN

Baldurs Gate 2: The "dream" sequences with Jon Irenicus

Silent Hill 2: The hotel

Planescape: Torment: The ending

KoTOR 2:Meeting the remnants of the Jedi council on Dantooine, and the entire scene that follows. Also, Kreia.

Mass Effect: The end of Virmire, from Sovereign to Saren.

Team Fortress 2: First time I ever started it up, the first thing I hear after connecting to a server is "EVERYONE! I AM MEEEELTING!"

It was at that moment that I knew I had spent my money well.

Fallout 1: Not being allowed to return to Vault 13.

Metal Gear Solid 1: "You like Castlevania, don't you?"

Metal Gear Solid 4: "WHAT? NO MEMORY CARD? I see your methods have improved."

Hitman: Blood Money: Washington D.C.

Shenmue: Finally finding a place where Sailors hang out.

Edit:
"Call of Cthulhu
When you are escaping from the locals in the hotel."

How could I have forgotten that?

Man, it's a shame. The first few hours of that game were great. Then the dev's gave you a gun, and things went downhill.

CarloGervasi
19th Jul 2008, 09:04
- In Deus Ex, when I first emerged from the MJ12 prison and realized...holy ****, I'm in the UNATCO building! The encounters with the Icarus AI were also very well done as well. When he first comes on out of nowhere and just says "I now have full access to your systems", it was very creepy.

- The entire Ocean House Hotel in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Probably the most atmospheric and immersive experience in any game on the market.

- The Shalebridge Cradle in Thief III, for the same reasons as the Ocean House Hotel. Very, very well done. Was the star of the whole game.

- First encounter with the Flood in Halo.

- The entire battle for City 17 towards the end of Half Life 2.

- The entire game of "Knights of the Old Republic".

Voltaire
19th Jul 2008, 09:48
Alone In The Dark 1: in a tiny bedroom of a "haunted" house, the protagonist (Edward Carnby) is looking through all the junkin this dresser. He's being player controlled so the gamer is totally engrossed in finding out more about the surroundings when the music changes and a zombie appears at the door. At this point Carnby is without weapons, so he has to smash the thing up with bare hands. The ending was good as well, I seem to remember.

Wolfenstein 3D: all the end bosses. They were all basically thrice your size and with giant chainguns. Each would say some inane comment right before battle, so you'd open a door hear someone shout "Guten Taag!" and then **** yourself and backpedal until you were safe.

Tekken 3: Ogre becomes True Ogre.

Total War: Medieval: a battle between my army of 800 Britons, against a horde of around 1500 Egyptians. I had no less than 6 princes marching into battle that day, with the Eqyptian head of state on the opposing side. No mercy was shown either way, and on a rare occasion, none of the Egyptians were allowed to flee, and the battle was won with 500 Britons left standing.

Abe's Odysee: Pretty much all of it was epic.

FX Fighter: a really old tekken-esque game that nobody's heard of. There were very few grapple moves, and it took place on various plannets, inside square, sumo style rings (i.e. step out and lose). The last boss was a real sod. I distinctly remember him picking up the protagonist by the leg and hurling him out of the ring.

Deus Ex moments:

- JC getting stuck into Simons at A51.
- On the 747, sticking a LAM to the previously locked door of Lebedev's quarters, so that JC doesn't bat an eyelid when he hears an explosion and Anna's scream. Out of interest, what happens if you kill them both?
- Backing a hunch and shooting the mirror in Lucky Money.
- The MJ12 goons attacking Lucky Money.
- Pretty much everything in Versalife. You can set free the alien clones and greasels, nobody really minds.
- I once threw a fire extinguisher or something at Simons and he got nasty with me. Not good.
- Maggie Chow. On my second run through, I shot her in the face upon meeting her. Also, she properly bigs herself up before the fight at the UC, and it turns out she's pretty pathetic. I just zapped her straight off.
- That engineer on the boat. I saved him by batoning his head then carrying him all the way to the deck and off the sinking freighter.
- Freeing Miguel from UNATCO HQ.

jcp28
19th Jul 2008, 16:33
On the 747, sticking a LAM to the previously locked door of Lebedev's quarters, so that JC doesn't bat an eyelid when he hears an explosion and Anna's scream. Out of interest, what happens if you kill them both?

You still receive your op bonus, but Manderley still gets kind of mad and Alex reacts the same. Not much different, really.

Some more favorite moments

Doom: On the third level after going over that oval-shaped platform in that open toxic area, I would get the red key. Then the lights went out, and a room opened directly behind me with a whole horde of monsters. This was back in 1996, so I was scared poopless, having never encountered anything like that before.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein-In a more realistic depiction of what you didn't see happen in Wolfenstein 3D, BJ hides on the ceiling of the cell and then jumps the guard who came to his cell to feed him. Also, that Nazi priestess gets turned into some kind of spirit by Heinrich which then proceeds to take massive health if she touches you. But I still manged to kill Henrich, though! Not like the Doom III guardian....that guy got me nearly every time I shot him
Duke 3D: Walking to the end of the second level and having bars close on both side of you. I went "WTF?" I couldn't believe these guys would lock me up like that!

MOHAA: The first level. The Germans check the indentfication of the other half of the company behind you realize that you guys aren't German soldiers, the music heats up, and some guy with a bazooka takes out their truck. One by one, the other soldiers in your squad perish as you get and attempt to charge toward the nearby town. Great stuff.

mook333
21st Sep 2008, 18:52
silent hill 1: when you fight split-head

jordan_a
21st Sep 2008, 21:38
Consoles this time: loads in Shenmue 2, Zeldas on N64 and final fight in Banjo-Kazooie.

imported_van_HellSing
21st Sep 2008, 22:00
I was recently amazed by the start of the Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion:

SPOILERS:

You cross a typicall fantasy-portal-gate-thingy and you get transported to a dark, almost Lynchian room with a ticking metronome on a desk. Behind the desk is pretty much an iconic English butler (only dressed somewhat fantastically), who explains that he's chamberlain of the Prince of Madness. After confirming that you do indeed want to venture into his realm, the room literally dissolves into light and thousands of colorful butterflies, leaving you in a beautifully strange world, straight out of Alice in Wonderland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=392THJV0Lwg

END OF SPOILERS
Neither the description nor the video do this moment any justice though. It really makes you think you're hallucinating, that it's not possible to do something like this in a game.

The rest of the expansion is also very good, I recommend trying it even if you didn't like Oblivion itself (I didn't, and I loved the Isles).

Romeo
22nd Sep 2008, 02:14
Oh, there are so many... :( A couple of them have already been mentioned here, so I'll just pick one of the lot that hasn't been here yet:

Call of Cthulhu
When you are escaping from the locals in the hotel. :cool: If you don't know about this great game, here's what I'm talking about: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3-CyUOVtImc
What genre of game is it?

DXeXodus
22nd Sep 2008, 03:56
I was recently amazed by the start of the Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion:

SPOILERS:

You cross a typicall fantasy-portal-gate-thingy and you get transported to a dark, almost Lynchian room with a ticking metronome on a desk. Behind the desk is pretty much an iconic English butler (only dressed somewhat fantastically), who explains that he's chamberlain of the Prince of Madness. After confirming that you do indeed want to venture into his realm, the room literally dissolves into light and thousands of colorful butterflies, leaving you in a beautifully strange world, straight out of Alice in Wonderland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=392THJV0Lwg

END OF SPOILERS
Neither the description nor the video do this moment any justice though. It really makes you think you're hallucinating, that it's not possible to do something like this in a game.

The rest of the expansion is also very good, I recommend trying it even if you didn't like Oblivion itself (I didn't, and I loved the Isles).

That was a seriously beautiful gaming moment. And I agree, Shivering isles was great. The whole of Oblivion should of been like that.

Romeo
23rd Sep 2008, 20:04
It seemed more like Morrowind as well (definately a good thing) and all the uniquities were appreciated. Definately how the rest of the game should have been.

badwolf
24th Sep 2008, 14:51
Most of my memorable gaming moments have actually come from Deus ex, maybe because I have played it sooo many times.

1. At the aircraft hanger when Paul says he is with the NSF.

2. Waking up in the cell.

3. Realizing the cell was beneath unatco.

4. The Lucky Money, actually pretty much all of the Hong kong stuff, I just found it all so immersive and I dont think a video game has achieved the effect which Deus ex had on me.

5. Icarus is coming...........

Jerion
24th Sep 2008, 15:11
Most of my memorable gaming moments have actually come from Deus ex, maybe because I have played it sooo many times.

1. At the aircraft hanger when Paul says he is with the NSF.

2. Waking up in the cell.

3. Realizing the cell was beneath unatco.

4. The Lucky Money, actually pretty much all of the Hong kong stuff, I just found it all so immersive and I dont think a video game has achieved the effect which Deus ex had on me.

5. Icarus is coming...........

Ditto.

I have a new one to add to my list:

In Crysis, The first time I dropped a wooden crate on a korean, causing him to fall over and nudge an explosive drum into the path of an oncoming HumVee. The drum promtly exploded, ligthing the humvee on fire and sending it flipping over my head to land on another explosive barrel.

That could have been a scene straight out of a pierce brosnan Bond movie, yet it wasn't scripted at all.

DXeXodus
25th Sep 2008, 04:17
Ha ha! i would of loved to have seen that. :) Those moments are always so precious. Pity one can rarely catch them on video.

LatwPIAT
25th Sep 2008, 05:59
Well, I'd say the the fight against The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3 is one of my favourite moments. It's basically the cullimination of gameplay and storyline, with a boss who is basically identical to yourself, only better in every way.

As for Deus Ex: Hearing Page's screams for mercy. "I'll give you Europe Denton!"

And reading the audiologs in the Underwater Base, learning exactly what happened there. It's such an epic moment in computer game storytelling.