PDA

View Full Version : Dx Lighting

DON_The_Grey
8th Jun 2008, 16:10
Hey,
Recentely I started a new playthrough of DX 1 and it came to my mind,
that it would be great to have the choice to switch off the light, like in Splinter Cell, for example. I think it would be a great Idea. Deusex was a lot of sneaking and stuff so it may be an interesting aspect of the gameplay.
What do you think?

jordan_a
8th Jun 2008, 16:54
I'm sure it will be available on DX3, but guards should be very suspicious when it happens and enlighten their torch if they have one.

DXeXodus
9th Jun 2008, 05:04
I think, in addition top this we should really be able to shoot out lights and illuminated signs. I am tired of shooting a light bulb with a gun and it doesn't go out. Lots of games have done it already, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Blade_hunter
10th Jun 2008, 22:35
The lighting is a very important DX part and the fact we can see if an enemy becaones suspicious or not.
DX 2 does a great work about lighting, DX has good lightings effects but the reflects are the best thing on DX 1

We can use some indicators for the light and the sound for the infiltration part. It can help us.
In SOF we have a sound level indicator, In Splinter cell we have a lighting indicator.

If I remember it was ion storm that invents these or one of these systems ...

minus0ne
10th Jun 2008, 22:48
No game does it better than Thief. Even the light gem is pure genius.

jordan_a
10th Jun 2008, 23:56
In Splinter cell we have a lighting indicator.God no, not this. :D

pauldenton
11th Jun 2008, 03:49
In SOF we have a sound level indicator, In Splinter cell we have a lighting indicator

Don't we have eyes and ears for such purposes?

I don't want to keep looking at meters, destroying the natural immersion, i just need to look at what i see and listen to what i hear!

serene_chaos
11th Jun 2008, 04:30
yeah i agree. just look at the light on the walls, or listen to the sounds youre making. however, for this to work, the light on your gun needs to be realistic.

rhalibus
11th Jun 2008, 08:14
I agree that all lights should be dynamic and any light that looks like it could be destroyed can be destroyed. This has been possible as far back as The Chronicles of Rid****.

I'd love to be able to turn on/off any light in a room with the light switch. This was done somewhat in DX1 but not to any extent.

I also agree that the best way to see if you are hidden in shadow is to look at your weapon or device--no other display is needed.

I would rather have larger levels instead of dynamic shadows, however, ala HalfLife 2. DX1 didn't have dynamic shadows and that didn't hurt the immersion much. :)

Edit: Are you kidding me? I got the "bad word" label on a video game title? Well golly darn. :)

serene_chaos
11th Jun 2008, 10:35
I agree that all lights should be dynamic and any light that looks like it could be destroyed can be destroyed. This has been possible as far back as The Chronicles of Rid****.

Goldeneye, '64

I would rather have larger levels instead of dynamic shadows, however, ala HalfLife 2. DX1 didn't have dynamic shadows and that didn't hurt the immersion much. :)
Edit: Are you kidding me? I got the "bad word" label on a video game title? Well golly darn. :)

I'm pretty sure the modern gaming market demands fancy-schmancy shadows and things as standard, nowadays.

Ostriig
11th Jun 2008, 15:23
I think, in addition top this we should really be able to shoot out lights and illuminated signs. I am tired of shooting a light bulb with a gun and it doesn't go out. Lots of games have done it already, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Basically, something along the lines of how it was done in Thief? Yeah, sounds good.

Blade_hunter
12th Jun 2008, 01:13
These indicators are only used to see if we make too much noise to attract all guards to our place or not, and if we are sufficiently cloaked by the shadows or not.
Of course we have our hears and our eyes. but I don't think these games add these features for useless uses.
I don't want absolutely this kind of stuff because it can be useful if we play as a stealth agent.
I don't think a little bar kills the immersion of the game.

Perhaps have these bars makes the game too easy and force the designer to make levels that allows to be cloaked by the shadows ....

Hum, anyway the fact we haven't these bars makes the game more exciting and perhaps the fact to get them will remove a part of the difficulty

serene_chaos
12th Jun 2008, 02:43
That's right. To me, it's a difficulty issue, not immersion. Without indicators the game would force you to keep on your toes whenever youre in a hostile area. No indicators would make the game feel 'grittier', which i think we would all agree is how Deus Ex should feel.

gamer0004
12th Jun 2008, 10:25
Yeah, when there are indicators the only thing you'll concentrate on is the indicator, not your environment.

jcp28
12th Jun 2008, 22:07
If there are indicators, then they should be based on if you're playing a lower difficulty level or not. But it should probably be playtested first to make sure that the indicator doesn't make it too easy for someone to evade the guards and find their way around.

Blade_hunter
13th Jun 2008, 00:49
This can help of course, and splinter cell even if we put our self in the shadows when an enemy see us, they fire on us even if we are on the complete shadow.
In SOF if we make too much noise, we must be quick to put down the sound and avoid the reinforcements (in a low difficulty level we have no or very low reinforcements).
I don't play much games with infiltration elements, but the idea is to get an item that give us this kind of information.
A sort of decibel meter, and a suit that be sensible to the light, they can take rooms and give the choice to players to get these informations.
I think we can fell and choose to feel or use some special devices to help us this can be more logic, than get a lighting level indicator and a sound device.
the decibel meter can be used to be directed by mysterious noises and detect some movements.
the lighting sensor suit can be used to help us on our task, but we can get other items instead of it.

I think to transform the lighting sensor as an item and the sound device too that can give the choice if it's better to get some detectors or other items.
I think we can imagine other devices, ok that isn't the real subject. but I think all users wants the game has a great lighting system to be immersive even if the graphics aren't the best we can get some other features that grants the game will be great without great graphics.

I talked about the lighting devices because that have an influence to the gameplay, and I thought directly to games with infiltration elements and the stealth.
I wait for comments because I don't think the fact to add these elements makes the game marvelous but some players perhaps want it and others not.
That is the reason I propose to transform this kind of information in items that give us the informations.
Perhaps it can be the way to propose other items that can measure some measurable elements.

Station409
4th Jul 2008, 00:51
Goldeneye, '64

I'm pretty sure the modern gaming market demands fancy-schmancy shadows and things as standard, nowadays.

I must be the exception to the rule then. I turn shadows off or to 'Low' in pretty much every game I play. Except in games like Splinter Cell and Thief where sneaking is involved.

Castrol GTX
4th Jul 2008, 06:14
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had both a sound meter and a light meter. It worked out all right there, but that's really because the character is US special ops, so there's an air of high-tech super-preparedness.

I would be okay with it in DX3 if it were used similarly, if you were infiltrating someplace for a govt organization, or whatever. But the story of DX1, and how I liked to play it, say no and want the gritty, low-tech approach.