PDA

View Full Version : If DX3 is a Prequel DX4 should be a remake of DX1

KnightsoftheRound
8th Jun 2008, 11:30
In the time that I've spent lurking around these boards and other areas of the Internet desperately seeking information about Deus Ex 3, I've read some rumors about Deus Ex 3 being a prequel to Deus Ex 1.

That started to get me thinking that if Deus Ex 3 was in fact a prequel, it would be really cool if they made it so you played as Paul Denton, or someone familiar to the original game.

I think what would be really awesome, is if afterwards they announced a remake of Deus Ex 1.

I figure that since the whole point of Deus Ex 3 is to revive this franchise, what else would be better than doing a prequel with a familiar character that lead into a full-blown remake of Deus Ex 1?

I know some people don't like remakes, but personally I would LOVE to see a Deus Ex 1 remake one day.

I should also mention that if they ever do remake Deus Ex 1 and continue with the franchise they should just pretend that Invisible War never happened. I am not trying to blatantly insult that game or the people who like it, but it is probably one of the most disappointing sequels I have ever played to any game, in my entire life.

I'd also love it if they ever did make a new Deus Ex game that took place post-Deus Ex 1 and/or Invisible War that they bring back JC Denton as the playable character. JC Denton is one of the most badass main characters ever, and not having him as the playable character in Invisible War was really disappointing.

And one final note, if Deus Ex 3 takes place after Deus Ex 1 and Invisible War, PLEASE BRING BACK JC DENTON'S SUNGLASSES AND GLOWING EYES!

That is all :)

serene_chaos
8th Jun 2008, 12:32
Agreed... With the sunglasses and glowing eyes bit.

I can just imagine a wicked alternate cinematic to the JC ending of IW. someone's voice-overing about something, and on screen JC is standing on top of a hill or a building or something, facing crowds of people. the camera sweeping over the crowds towards JC, then, as just his head is taking up the screen, he finally takes off his sunglasses. A brilliant light spews forth from his eyes, encompassing everyone. cyclops-from-xmen-style, 'cept white light, not red. and that's his vision augmentation. as he said before merging with Helios, that's what he was designed for, why he exists, to finalize Helios's plans for the Human Collective.
yeah, a little bit silly, but cool nonetheless.

jcp28
8th Jun 2008, 16:30
I don't necessarily oppose a remake. Plenty of games have been remade successfully. But remakes always seem to me like a quick way for game publishers to make a quick buck when they can't think of anything else at the moment.

If Eidos planned a remake, then they should probably wait to announce it until a year after DX 3 comes out. They ought to see how successful DX 3 is, since DX 2 didn't sell too well.

SemiAnonymous
8th Jun 2008, 19:03
What I wouldn't mind is an extended remake, containing DX1 and DX2, rebuilt from the ground up. The only similarities between IW and this as-of-yet-not-real DX2 remake would be the overall story, characters, and maybe some of the locations. Everything else = remade.

That'd be cool. But I would rather get a brand new game than remakes

Bluey71
8th Jun 2008, 19:19
Please stop this nonsense.

A re-make of Dx 1 - with todays trend of console ports?? Lets not even go there - let true adult pc gaming with strong storytelling, moral dilemas and no particular hangups over the latest gfx, rest in peace.

Blade_hunter
8th Jun 2008, 20:32
:( for a remake of DX 1 I don't agree they make that .....
If we can use a part of DX 1 as a start I don't say no, but the inside game must be original and proposes more options, tools and what ever new, for the story we must have an "after DX 1".
For remakes we have some mods that will make a full remake of a game with a new graphic engine, we have the marathon game with the unreal engine, we have DX 1 with the unreal engine 2, we have blood with the quake engine (I don't know if the engine is called id tech 1)
I see a remake of dragon ball Z games for many FPS engines.
I don't want pay for a full remake the price of a full new game if we want a remake of DX 1 with the DX 3 engine for example we have two solutions
1/ add the remake with DX 3
2/ wait for the modding community after the release of the SDK

Other forms for actual or next gen consoles will be useless, if we want a true remake of DX 1 wait for a port to a console like the NDS or the PSP, the PSP can be the best support even if the controls aren't so good as the PS2

Tracer Tong
8th Jun 2008, 22:16
I'm not sure, but "The Conspiracy" can be called both a remake (a lousy one at that matter) and a weird console port.

I'd love to see a remake, but it might just come from the users (with a good enough SDK), just like Black Mesa: Source (Half Life 1 remake, a total one).

Google them if you wish, but that, when it's out, will surely be the most extensive user-based modification and the first full-blown remake of a whole bestselling game.

Tsumaru
8th Jun 2008, 23:31
That started to get me thinking that if Deus Ex 3 was in fact a prequel, it would be really cool if they made it so you played as Paul Denton, or someone familiar to the original game.
I direct you to my posts over here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77220

I should also mention that if they ever do remake Deus Ex 1 and continue with the franchise they should just pretend that Invisible War never happened.
Dumb idea. Sorry, but I just don't buy into this "let's pretend it didn't happen" solution to a problem which doesn't exist. So you didn't like IW. Get over it. Despite whether universal ammo sucked or not, despite whether you all hated Alex D or not, it's all irrelevant. They didn't make a game that they thought sucked storyline-wise, I'm sure. And to just say "oh, well, a bunch of the diehard fans didn't like it... let's just... kinda pretend it didn't happen. And completely make a new sequel" seems like a huge cop-out. Alex D was obviously intended to be a sequel character from DX1, and to suddenly backtrack on that looks ridiculous. Especially if...

they bring back JC Denton as the playable character. JC Denton is one of the most badass main characters ever, and not having him as the playable character in Invisible War was really disappointing.
You now have a JC Denton who is effectively omnipotent, omniscient, and unstoppable. Yes, that would make for a VERY fun game. Excuse me while I mobilise my army of bots all tapped directly into my brain and destroy my enemies with ease. Or are we going to ignore half of the conclusion of DX1 as well as pretending IW didn't happen?

And lastly...
Remakes are also cheap ideas to get money without doing any real work. I would never buy a remake. I would *censored* so that I can play it without paying a dime.

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit aggressive. It's just I could never endorse, for any company or franchise, no matter how bad a sequel is, that they just "pretend it never happened". It would feel ridiculous, and shows - in my opinion - weakness in the company. There is credit to be given to designers and producers who can admit faults and problems - there is none due to those who carefully push it under the rug with a foot and then walk away whistling innocently as if nothing ever happened. I know people are going to disagree with me here, but that's just how I feel. My respect for the company would go way downhill. I would much rather see them work with the storyline of IW and come up with a sequel which makes sense to that, while also going back to the areas people preferred. If they can create a system which can reproduce the good parts of DX1, bring in *new* ideas, remove the bad parts of DX:IW and do all that while making sense to the story and past of BOTH games - that shows real ability in the designers.

AaronJ
9th Jun 2008, 01:05
DX3 won't be a prequel, everyone shut up about it.

Tsumaru
9th Jun 2008, 03:09
I <3 U GlobalNode

DXeXodus
9th Jun 2008, 04:49
DX3 won't be a prequel, everyone shut up about it.

HaHa! I laugh everytime you say that! You crack me up GloblaNode. :D

IMO: DX3 should be a prequel that overlaps slightly into the beginning of DX1 with the introduction of JC as a UNATCO agent. DX4 should take place during the same timeframe as DX1, just from a different perspective, using material form the original game as reference points instead of just remaking the game.

Tsumaru
9th Jun 2008, 07:22
Wow, you guys are really getting ahead of yourselves here. DX4?

KnightsoftheRound
9th Jun 2008, 09:00
I direct you to my posts over here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77220

Dumb idea. Sorry, but I just don't buy into this "let's pretend it didn't happen" solution to a problem which doesn't exist. So you didn't like IW. Get over it. Despite whether universal ammo sucked or not, despite whether you all hated Alex D or not, it's all irrelevant. They didn't make a game that they thought sucked storyline-wise, I'm sure. And to just say "oh, well, a bunch of the diehard fans didn't like it... let's just... kinda pretend it didn't happen. And completely make a new sequel" seems like a huge cop-out. Alex D was obviously intended to be a sequel character from DX1, and to suddenly backtrack on that looks ridiculous. Especially if...

You now have a JC Denton who is effectively omnipotent, omniscient, and unstoppable. Yes, that would make for a VERY fun game. Excuse me while I mobilise my army of bots all tapped directly into my brain and destroy my enemies with ease. Or are we going to ignore half of the conclusion of DX1 as well as pretending IW didn't happen?

And lastly...
Remakes are also cheap ideas to get money without doing any real work. I would never buy a remake. I would *censored* so that I can play it without paying a dime.

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit aggressive. It's just I could never endorse, for any company or franchise, no matter how bad a sequel is, that they just "pretend it never happened". It would feel ridiculous, and shows - in my opinion - weakness in the company. There is credit to be given to designers and producers who can admit faults and problems - there is none due to those who carefully push it under the rug with a foot and then walk away whistling innocently as if nothing ever happened. I know people are going to disagree with me here, but that's just how I feel. My respect for the company would go way downhill. I would much rather see them work with the storyline of IW and come up with a sequel which makes sense to that, while also going back to the areas people preferred. If they can create a system which can reproduce the good parts of DX1, bring in *new* ideas, remove the bad parts of DX:IW and do all that while making sense to the story and past of BOTH games - that shows real ability in the designers.

That's fine. You are entitled to your opinions. That doesn't make you right though, and I don't agree with you either.

J.CDenton
9th Jun 2008, 09:05
About a DX1 remake well I'd not disagree as long as the PC version has not been ported from a console. I want a true DX remake for PC. Also Warren Spector should have a look over it so that maybe he could also add some elements which have been deleted from the original game.

AaronJ
9th Jun 2008, 20:57

I detect a hint of patronage.

Oh, and I agree. We're getting ahead of ourselves, there is a very very very small chance that there will be a Deus Ex 4.

KnightsoftheRound
9th Jun 2008, 23:56
I detect a hint of patronage.

Oh, and I agree. We're getting ahead of ourselves, there is a very very very small chance that there will be a Deus Ex 4.

Why?

As long as Deus Ex 3 is a top tier AAA game like they are hoping it will be, and is commercially and critically successful, then I have no doubt in my mind that there will be a Deus Ex 4.

It will take several years for it to be released most likely, but I don't doubt there will be one.

Eidos isn't exactly oozing with awesome high-calibur triple A games and franchises these days. If they were they probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble to set up a new studio in Montreal with 24 month development times that focuses exclusively on creating triple A status games for long-dead franchises.

Tsumaru
10th Jun 2008, 00:07
You are entitled to your opinions. That doesn't make you right though, and I don't agree with you either.
Didn't you get the memo? I'm always right. The memo also says that remakes suck, Paul Denton is a horrible choice for protagonist, prequels can't work with a storyline like Deus Ex, and that Deus Ex 4 is 98.641% likely to never happen.

However, I appreciate your ability to remove "discussion" from the concept of "discussion boards" by responding saying only "Fine, but I don't agree." I'm sure if any developers ever read this forum, they would be thrilled by your well thought-out points in favour of your views! Tell me again, did you really think you were so important that everyone here cared to hear your opinion and just leave it at that? Try putting something of value into your posts next time. Here's a few ideas for what you could try...

Why would it 'be cool if you played as Paul Denton or someone familiar'?
How could this work effectively while still having a dramatic open-choice ending knowing how Paul Denton ends up in DX1 and DX2?
Why would you "love to see" a remake?
How could a remake attract new purchases, considering the original DX1 didn't actually sell well in the first place? Remembering that game companies are working for profit, not to make KnightsoftheRound happy.
Why should they just ignore DX:IW because you found it disappointing? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Is there any real benefit?
How can they avoid confusion in the storyline? Should they market the game saying "This takes place instead of DX:IW. Pretend it never happened". Wouldn't doing this remove any chance for a Collecter's Edition involving a nice trilogy of games?
Why should they bring back JC Denton as a playable character?
How can this viably work? There can be no gradual implementation of mods, there can be no progression of skill development, there can be no feeling of being underpowered. JC Denton is already a demigod. How can this work?

gamer0004
10th Jun 2008, 14:25
I want DX4 to be the beginning of a dumbed-down DX series. So we've had 2 great DX games, one trying to be that and the rest is like final fantasy - fun but not spectacular. They won't be able to keep making games as good as DX, so that would be a good option.
Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but just give it a thought.

Jaxer
18th Jun 2008, 11:53

IMO: DX3 should be a prequel that overlaps slightly into the beginning of DX1 with the introduction of JC as a UNATCO agent. DX4 should take place during the same timeframe as DX1, just from a different perspective, using material form the original game as reference points instead of just remaking the game.

Sounds like my idea of Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lo Bruto
18th Jun 2008, 19:14

The franchise future will depend on DX3's sales and popularity.

Let's supose DX3 becomes a new Counter-Strike-like fever. :lmao:
Then, there will be DX4, 5... until the hype fades out.

Artichokeinanutshell
19th Jun 2008, 13:11
Hi all,

I actually would expect (and would like to play) a prequel that's more in relation to HOW augmentations came into the lives of the Deus Ex world. So we'd play as a rising politician or something, developing a gradual understanding of the augmentation stuff, dealing with different factions (mafia, corporations, religious fanatics, etc) and then making the bill pass in congress and set up the stage for DX1 (unatco, nsf, etc).

then would come all the strife and we'd have to try and fix all the problems...or becoming a politician working really for the megacorporations (releasing gray death, lower taxes)...anyway, the ending will somehow connect with the screwed up world we had in DX1.

Just a thought here. I'd like a game like this, tho I know many others would not become it'd take away much of the element of the fps (except maybe having to go into corporations to steal data and kill ppl or killing the leader of certain factions for the biopolitic bill to pass)...yeah. Please comment on the idea. and be honest, but try to limit unconstructive criticism...thanks.

serene_chaos
19th Jun 2008, 16:02
do you mean, political, like The Republic? you mean totally abolishing the DX gameplay? If that is what you mean, then negative on that, in my opinion. youre not a politician, you're an agent. I agree with you that it'd be cool to have the story about the introduction of augs, i personally would like to see more of a focus on mechanical augs, and have my character become a Strogg :D

Artichokeinanutshell
20th Jun 2008, 01:53
well, you can't really be an "agent" like JC...since there's no UNATCO...but i'd expect you to be more freelance...? you probably will deal with riots and stuff?? like the pro-augmentation faction hires you to put down the riot (kill riot leaders etc?)...in short it'll probably be kind of red faction-ish...in my pov. anyway...i think the protagonist will NOT start out as the superman type (aka he wont be like JC or Alex). but maybe he'll acquire mech augmentations later...of course...it will somehow NOT make him ugly...btw for the sake of not typing too much, i'll continue referring to the protagonist as he, despite the high possibility of him being a her....i cant wait for DX3. i just wonder if it'll require really high system requirements. and if it'll be on vista or xp for the pc version.

AaronJ
20th Jun 2008, 03:06
The franchise future will depend on DX3's sales and popularity.

Let's supose DX3 becomes a new Counter-Strike-like fever. :lmao:
Then, there will be DX4, 5... until the hype fades out.

It would need multiplayer for that. So far that doesn't seem like where they're headed.

Lo Bruto
20th Jun 2008, 07:42
It would need multiplayer for that. So far that doesn't seem like where they're headed.

Thank God. :o

AaronJ
20th Jun 2008, 12:43
Shut up.