PDA

View Full Version : Watching T.V in deus ex

Vasarto
6th Jun 2008, 22:16
Like how GTAIV is, I think adding a huge variaty of t.v channles and shows on a t.v you can watch would be really cool...instead of the Vwwlaladoda

Vwwlaladoda Vwwlaladoda Vwwlaladoda Stuff we saw on deus ex 1 when the news show was on.

This I think they should add as a comercial to a channel.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UbyExPu8BRY

jordan_a
6th Jun 2008, 23:37
TV has to be useful to the story, serve it. Live news for instance are a great way to make a setting more realistic.

If you're thinking of a TV the player can manipulate in his safehouse like in GTA IV, I think it would not be a good idea.

It's like vehicules, TVs belong to the set but should not be used or you're missing the point of the game.

Blade_hunter
7th Jun 2008, 00:10
We have spoken about it on the use of a TV in the game even is we haven't explained it properly, I always wanted it.
I never know if it be used on GTA 4 thanks for the news :).

DX have some news on a screen, but we can hear only a Bla, bla, bla sound....
I don't remember if on DX 2 we have some holograms or not for the news ...

AaronJ
7th Jun 2008, 01:06
Gibba Dabba Deepo Gibba Dabba Stay.

Thats exactly what the TV repeats.

serene_chaos
7th Jun 2008, 04:53
I always thought it was closer to:
mahnya mahnya maah

HouseOfPain
7th Jun 2008, 06:46
I tottaly agree, they should have THIS commercial in there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbbp89KtEIs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love that commercial so so so much.. GTA4 I <3 u.

Blade_hunter
7th Jun 2008, 20:44
Agreed when it's a man we can hear the sound described by GlobalNode, and when it's a woman it's the sound described by Serene_chaos

One other amazing thing is when we can find the new paper with our name, it can be amazing if we are purchased by the authorities or an organization if we can watch the news on the TV that presents our picture with our name and say this man/woman is very dangerous....
Like on the newspaper :D
put some TV programs can be more immersive like the ad :)

The soy food, the montybites, the chochoney, the nuke soda and other false trademarks can immerse us more and show us the philosophy of the society on the place where we are.
Each country have a manner to do their ads and programs.

These things can be difficult to realize on the best form, but it's a part of a scenario.
and see an NPC watching TV and got a reaction by the events on the screen like a football match or a movie can add this immersion and add the fact the NPCs have a life.

On the Ton hotel one of the curious things is the noises we can hear when we are close to a door's room. I always wanted to see what is on the other side.
Like the apartment on Paris we can see a couple the man talk to its girlfriend and if we stay too much on the view of the man he wants to kill us because we are on his apartment.

The TV is important but the radio, a phone, a mail box can complete the existing medias.
In DX we can see some mailboxes, but we can't do anything except lockpick them because we have an hidden keypad.
Open them to find a mail, a datacube, a newspaper and other kind of mails can be useful and adds something close to a real life.

SemiAnonymous
7th Jun 2008, 23:46
I would like to see the TV be used to progress the story in some ways. Maybe there is a point where you turn on the TV, and you see your house/hotel/apartment on with Swat/MJ12/Unatco/who knows what else approaching, which gives you enough time to prepare. Maybe a news bulletin on a robbery in progress, which you can go and stop, and get some easy money.

Also, maybe some sort of quiz shows or something, where you can call them up and win some extra money.
That, along with the awesome commercials (I want to see that one keep your soul in a vault thing in DX1 return) would be perfect.

serene_chaos
8th Jun 2008, 07:43
I would like to see the TV be used to progress the story in some ways. Maybe there is a point where you turn on the TV, and you see your house/hotel/apartment on with Swat/MJ12/Unatco/who knows what else approaching, which gives you enough time to prepare. Maybe a news bulletin on a robbery in progress, which you can go and stop, and get some easy money.

Also, maybe some sort of quiz shows or something, where you can call them up and win some extra money.
That, along with the awesome commercials (I want to see that one keep your soul in a vault thing in DX1 return) would be perfect.

it would be cool to be able to use the television to know what 'the enemy' is doing, like finding out theyre going to raid your house, it should be a required part of the mission. otherwise itll just be a gimmicky sort of "hey, remember that mission in deus ex where you have to watch the tv?". To avoid this it would have to be an integrated and optional part of the gameplay, all throughout the game.

during the first part of the game, when (i assume) youre working for the government 'good guys' (as with unatco) you might receive updates on current news events in your area via infolink. allowing you to go all vigilante. then they would be cut off when you inevitably find out that that organisation are actually a subsidiary of the Real Bad Guys. Then when you join the freedom fighter type group they might give you their own news updates that you can choose to intervene in. This idea should be in keeping with the idea of questionable agendas, in that the government type group will give you news stories about anarchic or criminal events, and the freedom fighter group will give you messages about ethically wrong or human-rights-oppressive events.

sea
9th Jun 2008, 03:43
The problem with television in games is that it requires a lot of work to do something even remotely convincing. I'm all for news reports and stuff, but frankly radio or newspapers (or e-mail, or whatever) seem much more likely, especially if the developers are continuing the cyber-punk theme.

DXeXodus
9th Jun 2008, 04:32
TV could possible have a fitting place in DX3, but it would need to be informative more than entertaining. DX3 is not like GTA4 where everything is funny and ripped off (well, most things). The TV should be news that tells us about the current world situation. I wouldn't mind there being no TV though, it could just be radio broadcasts and newspapers I would be happy.