PDA

View Full Version : Paul Denton? Questions

dxfan94
6th Jun 2008, 12:30
I guess i must have missed something in IW but Paul, he died in the first game. Was he in cryogenic sleep in IW?

jordan_a
6th Jun 2008, 12:56
The answer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc)

Lukewarm Soup
6th Jun 2008, 13:06
Sort of. He only dies if you go out the window during your second visit to Hell's Kitchen. If you stick in the room and fight your way through the troops when he tells you to flee, he lives. DX does that a lot.

Tsumaru
6th Jun 2008, 14:15
I thought that was a bit silly. The main plotline of the first game kind of leads you towards his death. I always thought him being alive was more of the "special" way the game could run. It's not a huge issue, but obviously some people might get confused if they didn't realise you could save Paul (I didn't the first time I played through - it was only the second time I tried. And boy did it take me a lot of tries to kill all those guys, too!)

GruntOwner
6th Jun 2008, 14:19
I just hid behind the bookcase and was very impressed when the shooting stopped, I opened the door and took in the new paint job. The very red paintjob. I think he has invulnerability as long as you're in the building, so as long as you either die in the 'ton or take the front door, He lives. I did however discover that Gunther wouldn't be fooled by you hiding behind a box. The hard way.

dxfan94
6th Jun 2008, 14:44
see i didnt think you could save him. he told me to leave so i did. Dam thats messed up. i guess i need tomplay it agian. it also screws up IW. i mean if you did kill him and all. So then how did he get in cryogenic sleep if you killed off the poeple then how?

minus0ne
6th Jun 2008, 18:12
I thought that was a bit silly. The main plotline of the first game kind of leads you towards his death. I always thought him being alive was more of the "special" way the game could run. It's not a huge issue, but obviously some people might get confused if they didn't realise you could save Paul (I didn't the first time I played through - it was only the second time I tried. And boy did it take me a lot of tries to kill all those guys, too!)
Actually it's not silly at all. Using your own judgement would tell you that Paul can't possibly face those odds himself, and if he's going to try to hold the MIBs back so JC can escape he'll likely die. At that point in the game you've got quite a lot of firepower already, so staying to fight is not a bad idea.

FYI, you don't have to kill anyone - they're there to incapacitate and capture the both of you, and no matter how many UNATCO troops you kill you'll eventually be facing and unkillable Gunther (and Navarre if you didn't take her out on the 747).

Vasarto
6th Jun 2008, 18:50
I did not think he was going to be alive untill I played it the second way through.

I played 1 so many times I have found every single last secret area to the game....especially since I used cheats like ghost....

Here are some places that most people might not know about.

1.In the airfield just before you get to paul at the 747. Behind the stone staircase is a secret room.

2.In the tunnles of hong kong where you get to the second level of the labs..There is a secret place you can not ever get to unless you cheat the use ghost. Underneath the black van is a water filled room with a dead guy there.

3.I forget where exactly but when you are going for the nsf generator and take the other rout where there is that lam on the wall and you have to jump that gate...follow up that ladder. You know...not taking the basement of ozgoods and sons where the turrets are. You can throw a lam over the really high gate and blow a hole in this wall...jump over it and you get to another way to get to the generator.

Also there is a secret tunnels that you can get through.....as long as you have a TON of multitools and lockpicks ect.. you can sneeak into the underground tunnles of the nsf generator from this direction as well..

4.The first time you get to new york where the bar is. You can see pauls friend...you know the one you need to have a password to see..You can fight the mj12 really early in the game if you agree to save his friend ford shyck.

Places I have never found is only 1.

Somewhere in the game you can gain the key to the black helechoppers guys tonnochi roads appartment. You know Jocks appartment in tonnochi road in hong kong.

I HAVE NEVER FOUND THAT APPARTMENT!!!!!!

gamer0004
6th Jun 2008, 20:50
I did not think he was going to be alive untill I played it the second way through.

I played 1 so many times I have found every single last secret area to the game....especially since I used cheats like ghost....

Here are some places that most people might not know about.

1.In the airfield just before you get to paul at the 747. Behind the stone staircase is a secret room.

2.In the tunnles of hong kong where you get to the second level of the labs..There is a secret place you can not ever get to unless you cheat the use ghost. Underneath the black van is a water filled room with a dead guy there.

3.I forget where exactly but when you are going for the nsf generator and take the other rout where there is that lam on the wall and you have to jump that gate...follow up that ladder. You know...not taking the basement of ozgoods and sons where the turrets are. You can throw a lam over the really high gate and blow a hole in this wall...jump over it and you get to another way to get to the generator.

Also there is a secret tunnels that you can get through.....as long as you have a TON of multitools and lockpicks ect.. you can sneeak into the underground tunnles of the nsf generator from this direction as well..

4.The first time you get to new york where the bar is. You can see pauls friend...you know the one you need to have a password to see..You can fight the mj12 really early in the game if you agree to save his friend ford shyck.

Places I have never found is only 1.

Somewhere in the game you can gain the key to the black helechoppers guys tonnochi roads appartment. You know Jocks appartment in tonnochi road in hong kong.

1. Yes, I found it wile doing the no-item run.2
2. You can get there. Go to one of the restaurants, to the freezer, through the vents and after some walking and climbing you'll get there.
You mean the one with the karkarians (and the datacube explaining the eggs were unhatching)?
3. Yes, found out when I - I believe - shot one of the explosive barrels nearby.
4. Err, you can't meet smuggler in the bar...

And Jock's apartment does exist - http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deusex/hongkong2/hongkong2.htm (somewehere in the middle).

minus0ne
6th Jun 2008, 22:33
Jock's apartment is right across from the Queen's towers, very hard to miss IMO. Sounds like you've still got some secret areas to uncover Vasarto ;) Of course without using cheats, that's just lame (and there are no secret areas only accesible by cheats).

#2, 3 and 4 are not secret areas in the slightest. In fact they're main quest related subquests. The only secret you mentioned was the dartboard secret room in the building adjacent to the hangar however it doesn't have any real goodies.

Tsumaru
7th Jun 2008, 01:25
Actually it's not silly at all. Using your own judgement would tell you that Paul can't possibly face those odds himself, and if he's going to try to hold the MIBs back so JC can escape he'll likely die. At that point in the game you've got quite a lot of firepower already, so staying to fight is not a bad idea.
I don't think you understand my point. I never said it's silly to stay and fight - I said it's silly that considering you are *told* to leave, and not really given an option to say "I'll stay and fight with you. We can win this.", and furthermore Paul is meant to be about to die anyway. (I can't remember - at this point do we know if the killswitch is able to be deactivated?) If you take a look when the guys bust in, on the first run through of the game, it looks kind of like unbeatable odds as well. Or at least it did to me. It feels to me as if you're *meant* not to save Paul. It doesn't seem like a clear, obvious, and viable chioce that you could actually stay, kill everyone, and have Paul still survive for later in the game. So in terms of sequel storyline, if you picked the thread which the first game seems intended to be followed and the one which more people would have chosen (and I do believe that more people would choose, at least on their first run through of the game, to leave through the window) - then logically speaking, Paul should be dead in IW. That's just how it seems to me. After all, you DO have two people saying they didn't realise Paul could survive, and I only thought of it the second play through. It leads to more consistent continuity if you have him dead, and leads to more confusion for non-diehard fans if you have him alive.

FYI, you don't have to kill anyone - they're there to incapacitate and capture the both of you, and no matter how many UNATCO troops you kill you'll eventually be facing and unkillable Gunther (and Navarre if you didn't take her out on the 747).
Hmm... I looked it up online. As I understood it, you had to kill/incapacitate everyone in the 'Ton for Paul to survive. I don't really know if that's true or not. I just did what it said online, took them all out and went on my way.

gamer0004
7th Jun 2008, 07:24
Jock's apartment is right across from the Queen's towers, very hard to miss IMO. Sounds like you've still got some secret areas to uncover Vasarto ;) Of course without using cheats, that's just lame (and there are no secret areas only accesible by cheats).

#2, 3 and 4 are not secret areas in the slightest. In fact they're main quest related subquests. The only secret you mentioned was the dartboard secret room in the building adjacent to the hangar however it doesn't have any real goodies.

Wrong - there are secret areas you can't come without cheats. Like Manderley's secret vault and a room underneath the communications building at Area 51.

minus0ne
7th Jun 2008, 08:06
I don't think you understand my point. I never said it's silly to stay and fight - I said it's silly that considering you are *told* to leave, and not really given an option to say "I'll stay and fight with you. We can win this.", and furthermore Paul is meant to be about to die anyway. (I can't remember - at this point do we know if the killswitch is able to be deactivated?) If you take a look when the guys bust in, on the first run through of the game, it looks kind of like unbeatable odds as well. Or at least it did to me. It feels to me as if you're *meant* not to save Paul. It doesn't seem like a clear, obvious, and viable chioce that you could actually stay, kill everyone, and have Paul still survive for later in the game. So in terms of sequel storyline, if you picked the thread which the first game seems intended to be followed and the one which more people would have chosen (and I do believe that more people would choose, at least on their first run through of the game, to leave through the window) - then logically speaking, Paul should be dead in IW. That's just how it seems to me. After all, you DO have two people saying they didn't realise Paul could survive, and I only thought of it the second play through. It leads to more consistent continuity if you have him dead, and leads to more confusion for non-diehard fans if you have him alive.
Actually on my first playthrough I didn't go out the window. The situation reminded me of the millions of times it occurs in movies (generally a wounded person who opts to buy someone else time by holding back a third party, and sacrificing himself in doing so) and it actually gave me a chuckle, if I remember correctly. I only learned later that if you leave through the window Paul doesn't survive (never tried that myself though). I don't see how you've come to the conclusion that Paul dying is the "dominant" outcome, and seeing as he's alive in the sequel, I fail to see your point.

Hmm... I looked it up online. As I understood it, you had to kill/incapacitate everyone in the 'Ton for Paul to survive. I don't really know if that's true or not. I just did what it said online, took them all out and went on my way.
Well trust me, whatever walkthrough said that is wrong (try it for yourself if you happen to have a savegame near that point). Of course it's fun to lob some LAMs down the corridor and keep fighting till you get to Gunther but it does feel like you're just meant to go down in the Ton along with Paul (at least to me). On my first playthrough when I "died" there my first instinct was to load the last savegame thinking I'd failed to protect Paul but when I realised I was imprisoned and not dead I was immediately motivated to keep playing and find out what happened to Paul (and you'll later encounter him in HK and he pops up on the infolink frequently after you leave him in the MJ12 facility).

Wrong - there are secret areas you can't come without cheats. Like Manderley's secret vault and a room underneath the communications building at Area 51.
I've never heard of Manderley's vault (or do you mean the flag in the toilet thing) or that A51 room. I'll give it a look, thanks.

gamer0004
7th Jun 2008, 10:35
"The flag in the toilet". You mean the easter egg in DX:IW, the 'real' ending?

mad_red
7th Jun 2008, 10:59
That's weird, I remember taking out everyone in the 'Ton and walking out the front door (with dozens of retries admittedly)! Gunther never appeared. Did anyone else do this, or am I imagining things?

Btw. I also thought I was supposed to chicken out through the window, pretty much for the same reasons Tsumaru mentioned. Especially because I couldn't tell Paul otherwise, and when I realizaed I was outmatched I beat it.

I kinda get the impression that Paul was originally meant to die there, and the option to save him was programmed in later.

Anyway, I guess what I'm really trying to say is that... I'm a terrible player! :p

minus0ne
7th Jun 2008, 11:36
"The flag in the toilet". You mean the easter egg in DX:IW, the 'real' ending?
Yeah the 'party ending', so what's this I'm hearing about a secret vault in DX? :p I've never heard about it (I think). And is the A51 room an actual secret room/easter egg or just an unintended spare room that never got removed?

That's weird, I remember taking out everyone in the 'Ton and walking out the front door (with dozens of retries admittedly)! Gunther never appeared. Did anyone else do this, or am I imagining things?
You're not imagining things, however if you fight on to reach the subway you'll encounter an unbeatable force of UNATCO troops and an unkillable Gunther (and Navarre depending on how you handled Lebedev) when you reach Battery Park (or more accurately, IF you reached Battery Park :p ).

gamer0004
7th Jun 2008, 14:00
Yeah the 'party ending', so what's this I'm hearing about a secret vault in DX? :p I've never heard about it (I think). And is the A51 room an actual secret room/easter egg or just an unintended spare room that never got removed?

You're not imagining things, however if you fight on to reach the subway you'll encounter an unbeatable force of UNATCO troops and an unkillable Gunther (and Navarre depending on how you handled Lebedev) when you reach Battery Park (or more accurately, IF you reached Battery Park :p ).

Well, at first they wanted a vault in Manderley's office which could be hacked. However, they thought it would be kinda silly if JC hacked the safe in front of Manderly, so they removed the option. They didn't remove the vault however. You can see it when you're using the SDK.
The secret room was indeed just a spare room which they forgot to remove.

J.CDenton
7th Jun 2008, 16:13
To get into Jock's appartment I know an easy way which involve no cheats, no lockpick, no nanocode: go to Maggie Chow's appartment. Once inside just go to the place with all the windows. One of the windows face another building. Break it. A few meters below, on the building facing you, you'll see a balcony with breakable windows. Just jump and once in the balcony break the windows and enter the place. Voila, you're in!

GruntOwner
7th Jun 2008, 17:21
Have you people heard of a key? I'm pretty sure there was a key, on account of his apartment door being unpickable. And if anyone's reading this for hints in HK, stay the hell away from that freighter. The loot really isn't worth it given that there's the toxicity to deal with AND getting it open.

Nathan2000
8th Jun 2008, 20:17
Have you people heard of a key? I'm pretty sure there was a key, on account of his apartment door being unpickable.

The key is in Tong's place. Easy to find.

And if anyone's reading this for hints in HK, stay the hell away from that freighter. The loot really isn't worth it given that there's the toxicity to deal with AND getting it open.

No, I can't leave any secret area unsearched. Sorry.

Dead-Eye
8th Jun 2008, 21:08
There is a trigger is the mission script that is something like bisPaulDentenAlive=Ture (My unreal scripting is rusty) The game defaults to him being alive and is only triggered to false if you go out the window.

Dead-Eye
8th Jun 2008, 21:29

At first I thought you were talking about Paul's Girl Friend. Then I realized that you were not.

There are a few ways to get there. One is to jump from Maggy Chows apartment to Jocks via braking the window. The other is to pick up the key off Tracer Tongs Desk, the one where Paul will be siting. I had to cheat to get there the first time and give myself the key.

Tsumaru
8th Jun 2008, 23:13
There is a trigger is the mission script that is something like bisPaulDentenAlive=Ture (My unreal scripting is rusty) The game defaults to him being alive and is only triggered to false if you go out the window.

Well ain't that just an interesting tidbit! I coulda sworn on one of my tries to save him, he died from all the MIB and UNATCO dudes, but maybe not. I can't really remember for sure. Damn, it took me so many goes to kill them all, and I coulda just hidden and let him finish them all off for me. =P

Daedalus.
26th Aug 2009, 02:57
Sort of. He only dies if you go out the window during your second visit to Hell's Kitchen. If you stick in the room and fight your way through the troops when he tells you to flee, he lives. DX does that a lot.

The last time I played DXSP I fought through the troops with Paul and he lived; however, Paul was found dead in the MJ12 Jail / Labs. Also, when I went to Hong Kong Paul was not in Tracer Tong's place. What happened?

I found a way to get away from Gunther, the bots, and the troops, and to escape into Battery Park without cheats. Jock did not return with the Black Helicopter to pick me up in the park; so, I had to return to let Gunther catch me, because there was nothing else to do.

Well ain't that just an interesting tidbit! I coulda sworn on one of my tries to save him, he died from all the MIB and UNATCO dudes, but maybe not. I can't really remember for sure. Damn, it took me so many goes to kill them all, and I coulda just hidden and let him finish them all off for me. =P

Paul disappears if you don't stay close to him all the way to the front doors.

PlasmaSnake101
26th Aug 2009, 03:21
You guys suck, I saved him on the first run. Why would you just leave him there? Also, I died about two seconds into that fight during the first run.

I wonder, if you blow yourself to bits with a lam, will you still go to prison or just have to restart?

Azrepheal
26th Aug 2009, 03:31

First time I heard you could save him, I spent a while setting up lams on the door, let them blow, then threw more down the corridor and leapt out firing. A couple more lams down into the lobby while strafing the snipers, and a mild surprise as my brother - who up til then had been at death's door - decides to leap down the stairs with a machine gun and give me a hand. We mopped up everyone who was left, and that was that. Mission accomplished. Paul was safe.

Because it seemed easier than going down and out the front of the 'Ton, I decided to head back to Paul's room and use his window. You know - cos it was closer.

This wasn't a good idea (well, not for Paul, at least)

Dead-Eye
26th Aug 2009, 03:36

The developers commented on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o31W_E73_U&feature=related
Essentially they had characters drop off the map and they didn't realize that until they where almost done with production. So for most of the game the developers developed the story as if characters, like Paul, had died and then realized that they had made a mistake too late. Fortunately they got an extra 6 months to bring all the characters back.

You can die in Ton and you'll wake up in your cell. Paul will be alive.

minus0ne
26th Aug 2009, 05:21
You guys suck, I saved him on the first run. Why would you just leave him there? Also, I died about two seconds into that fight during the first run.
Same here, though to be fair, the game (ie Paul) does instruct you to leave, so some players might think he'd be able to handle himself, even when wounded.

I wonder, if you blow yourself to bits with a lam, will you still go to prison or just have to restart?
Restart :p Who knows though, might be 'overlooked' by the game script.

SemiAnonymous
26th Aug 2009, 05:44
To get into Jock's appartment I know an easy way which involve no cheats, no lockpick, no nanocode: go to Maggie Chow's appartment. Once inside just go to the place with all the windows. One of the windows face another building. Break it. A few meters below, on the building facing you, you'll see a balcony with breakable windows. Just jump and once in the balcony break the windows and enter the place. Voila, you're in!

Thats basically how I do it every time. I love getting the guards in the room, having a dramatic shoot out and jumping out of the window after chucking a LAM.

Who says Deus Ex didn't have enough memorable moments.

El_Bel
26th Aug 2009, 11:13

You go to prison :p

Gunther and the bots turned me to pieces ones. It was funny how they turned me from fine mist to human again :p

gamer0004
26th Aug 2009, 11:30

Gunther and the bots turned me to pieces ones. It was funny how they turned me from fine mist to human again :p

See? DX did have auto health regen... What's the fuss :rasp:

SemiAnonymous
26th Aug 2009, 18:08

Nanomachines, man.

teknikal-vision
27th Aug 2009, 05:24
I don't think you understand my point. I never said it's silly to stay and fight - I said it's silly that considering you are *told* to leave, and not really given an option to say "I'll stay and fight with you. We can win this.", and furthermore Paul is meant to be about to die anyway. (I can't remember - at this point do we know if the killswitch is able to be deactivated?) If you take a look when the guys bust in, on the first run through of the game, it looks kind of like unbeatable odds as well. Or at least it did to me. It feels to me as if you're *meant* not to save Paul. It doesn't seem like a clear, obvious, and viable chioce that you could actually stay, kill everyone, and have Paul still survive for later in the game.

I think the fact that this choice was not flagged and made obvious with dilogue choices or something makes it all the more interesting and dynamic. In reality our available decisions are never obvious; we have to look for them ourselves. You're not 'told' to go. Paul only says this because he wants you to because he feels he's in a hopeless situation and would rather you not risk your life for nothing... but it's not really an order is it? It's just damn good writing. Typical movie/book situation.

If you did listen to Paul and leave on your first playthrough, well that's the ultimate evidence that all the other linear games we play really have conditioned us into not thinking for ourselves. We're all so used to following the script and not having control of the story and plot. I left Paul on my first playthrough. Why? Prior to playing Deus Ex, I had never played a game like it; I was honestly not used to being given that amount of power in a game, nor used to having to consider the consequences of my actions.

So if anyone chose to stay and help Paul on their first playthrough, kudos to you 'cause you we're thinking for yourself. :D

Ninjerk
27th Aug 2009, 15:27
I think the fact that this choice was not flagged and made obvious with dilogue choices or something makes it all the more interesting and dynamic. In reality our available decisions are never obvious; we have to look for them ourselves. You're not 'told' to go. Paul only says this because he wants you to because he feels he's in a hopeless situation and would rather you not risk your life for nothing... but it's not really an order is it? It's just damn good writing. Typical movie/book situation.

If you did listen to Paul and leave on your first playthrough, well that's the ultimate evidence that all the other linear games we play really have conditioned us into not thinking for ourselves. We're all so used to following the script and not having control of the story and plot. I left Paul on my first playthrough. Why? Prior to playing Deus Ex, I had never played a game like it; I was honestly not used to being given that amount of power in a game, nor used to having to consider the consequences of my actions.

So if anyone chose to stay and help Paul on their first playthrough, kudos to you 'cause you we're thinking for yourself. :D

Yeah, I think what really made that event special was that it wasn't handed to you in a dialogue choice with some Saintly/Demonic Morality Value or other such nonsense.

Grimesy
27th Aug 2009, 15:53
I remember on my first ever run of DX, Paul survived but I myself was shot going down the stairs.
On my second run, after being imprisoned, I found out he had died. After reloading (I always make a perm-save before talking to him at that point) and re-trying I saw Paul getting killed!!! I was still at the door to his room and he was already by the stairs. I think all you have to do to keep him alive is:
1. Do NOT exit through the window
2. Die before Paul does OR kill all Ton-enemies

P.S. Yes, if you blow yourself up, you end up in prison...
(Got caught in the blastradius of my own LAM...)

El_Bel
27th Aug 2009, 17:06
I found out that Paul can die on the internet. I always saved him!

FrankCSIS
27th Aug 2009, 22:29
Yeah, I think what really made that event special was that it wasn't handed to you in a dialogue choice with some Saintly/Demonic Morality Value or other such nonsense.

Or like Mass Effect's "save girl/save guy" choice. I don't think it could've been any more in your face than the way it was presented. They even made sure to add the "I think we both know that's not true captain" message so we'd understand right away the implication of the choice.

I stayed for Paul, when I understood there wasn't going to be any cutscene and that I retained freedom of actions. I stayed for the sake of seeing if the MIB would really show up, and for a while I expected nothing to happen, or an automatic re-direction.

Gizmostuff
28th Aug 2009, 04:42

Yeah...Yall must haven't seen the Deus Ex speed run where (whom ever did it) kills himself with a box of cigarettes and drops everything in his inventory so he'll have it in his cell. Makes me laugh every time. How did the beta testers miss this?

That's how I went too...bots owned me my first run. I wanted to fight Gunther so I went back to a previous save because I wanted to know if he was beatable. I threw everything I had at him. I shot a damn LAW at him...That convinced me he couldn't be killed. Hehe.

Jerion
28th Aug 2009, 04:45
The first time my brother played through, he left Paul to die. The first time I played through, I saved him. Saved him on every time through too- though on my most recent time through I let Jock die. Never did that before.