Unstoppable
29th May 2008, 08:13
http://kotaku.com/5011533/deus-ex-free-next-week

Tsumaru
29th May 2008, 11:03
But I already have a paid copy. =(

SageSavage
29th May 2008, 12:52
Wow...seems like great news. Maybe this will significantly raise the brands popularity which means bigger communities.

Nathan2000
29th May 2008, 13:02
Free, but only for Americans and Canadians. GameTap announced that it would become available for Europeans last year, but nothing happened since then.

As you can guess, I live on the wrong continent. I'm not worried, since I have DX already, but it's irritating.

SageSavage
29th May 2008, 13:10
So you mean European IPs won't be allowed to use it? Are you sure?

dark_angel_7
29th May 2008, 14:29
^ I hope they can. I've never played DX and I really wanted to try it out for free. :(

minus0ne
29th May 2008, 18:17
Not a big surprise though, for some reason game devs and publishers (and apparently content distributors) really hate Europe. Which is why we're always made to wait forever while the whole world sinks their teeth into whatever awesome game we're waiting for. The excuse is always the same, too - "We have contracts with European publishers blahblah" etc. Even if we buy all their crap it still doesn't change anything (case in point; Sony). Oh that and we pay about 50% more for both hardware and software. In other words, we're taking it royally up the ass. Of course when we develop an awesome game, we opt for simultaneous worldwide release, we're just that forgiving :p

Oh well, at least now with digital content distribution we can just SocksCap the download application and fool it into thinking we've got a US connection..

*laughs maniacally

SageSavage
29th May 2008, 18:44
Yeah but one should think that digital distribution could only benefit from being worldwide available....
As for the retailers: I think it's less attractive to serve this market in the first place because Europe actually still is many different markets and all of them have their own complex rulesets that the publishers have to understand and obey before any of their actions. Breaking them can quickly lead into full blown disasters. Think about customer rights, privacy issues or legal protection for children. Grabbing the easy money from the big and wealthy countries first sounds reasonable - and it sucks for sure!

Kneo24
29th May 2008, 19:58

If they're going strictly by IP, you may be able to trick them with a proxy!

SageSavage
29th May 2008, 20:22
Yeah, I know and that's what minusOne mentioned too but there won't be too much impact on the overall popularity of DX when they restrict it like that. I am not sure about their methods and their plans though.

It doesn't matter for me personally since I own a retail-version of the game anyway.

v.dog
30th May 2008, 10:05
Why does the global village still have gated communities? What are they afraid of?

[FGS]Shadowrunner
1st Jun 2008, 16:01
1. money

2. you dont put all your eggs in the one basket and vice versa...

3. Development, prototypes, audience testing...

4. Because MJ12 want it that way

J.CDenton
1st Jun 2008, 18:10
I found the game for about 5€ in France. And maybe less if it's a "Cheap price" collection.

I miss a good old boxed version with a manual inside. Not a stupid box with just a CD with a PDF Manual...

Unstoppable
1st Jun 2008, 20:47
Deus Ex 3 should be digitally distributed upon launch. Would greatly help sales. Also it should be available worldwide digitally. That way those people in other countries can all get it at same time.

J.CDenton
1st Jun 2008, 22:51
Maybe they'll release it with Steam on the same occasion. So that if there's no worldwide release, players from other countries will just have to buy it by Steam...

foxberg
4th Jun 2008, 16:31
The DX is not there. Was there a delay? :confused:

Nathan2000
5th Jun 2008, 10:45
Still "comming soon (http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050)".

Vasarto
5th Jun 2008, 22:08
Will the game of the year edition one work with all those fancy mods out there?

SomaMech
6th Jun 2008, 00:09
Woop! It works on Vista :)

I've been through 3 Deus Ex discs so far. This is v.handy. Cheers for posting!

dark_angel_7
6th Jun 2008, 07:52
^ So doesnt DX1 work with Vista? :eek:

J.CDenton
6th Jun 2008, 08:46
Yes it does. It does perfectly. I'm actually playing it and you don't even need to change the compatibility mod for that.

;)

SomaMech
6th Jun 2008, 11:32
^ So doesnt DX1 work with Vista? :eek:

I bought a new laptop a few months ago for work etc and decided to install Deus Ex from a CD. I couldn't get it to work! It wouldn't detect the CD and wouldn't load up at all. But it works using GameTap! <3

dark_angel_7
6th Jun 2008, 14:41
Hopefully it'll work - I'm planning on getting it and then playing IW and hopefully DX3.

minus0ne
6th Jun 2008, 17:57
I bought a new laptop a few months ago for work etc and decided to install Deus Ex from a CD. I couldn't get it to work! It wouldn't detect the CD and wouldn't load up at all. But it works using GameTap! <3
To my knowledge the GOTY edition works perfectly under XP, but I've heard of install and gameplay problems with the regular unpatched version. I don't use Vista myself though, and I likely never will. I'm going straight from XP to 7, and by the looks of it so is Microsoft :p

[TKG]Alfredo
20th Jun 2008, 21:25
Hey theres this clan In Deus Ex 1 that has the donwload for the multiplayer patch so you can play DXMP with that but its scraped down it does not have all the maps but it has everything else. It does not check your IP so anyone can use it:
http://www.readytokill.dx-cg.com/Downloads/DeusEx%20Multiplayer.zip

stokesy131
21st Jun 2008, 18:19
I miss a good old boxed version with a manual inside. Not a stupid box with just a CD with a PDF Manual...

agreed