PDA

View Full Version : How much "conspiracy" do you want?

mad_red
26th May 2008, 12:02
Mainly if it's a prequel, but if you have some good sequel ideas, that's fine too.

So how different should the DX3 world be from our real world? Should it have the same conspiracy theories, except maybe with a twist? Are the conspiracy theorists right about 9/11? Is oil really running out? Does global warming exist? Are GM crops harmless or do they have a more sinister purpose?

Should DX3 link into as many conspiracy theories in the real world as it can, but revealing or at least suggesting their 'true' nature (maybe biopolitics)?

Or on the other side of the spectrum:

Do you prefer a more imaginary / less imaginary world (depending on whether you buy into conspiracy theories ;) ). One where all of the real world conspiracy theories are false, and in-game either aren't there, or revolve around fictional instead of real-world events? Are the fictional events plausible, or impossible to take seriously?

What side do you tend to? What's the perfect balance?

DXeXodus
26th May 2008, 12:10
That is quite alot of questions you are asking there :).

I tend to lean towards the side where some real events and conspiracies are incorporated into the game world. The game should, however, not rely too heavily on these notions as not all people buy into such conspiracies, or they simply don't care much for them. I think that, As DX1 did, DX3 should have a strong and independent story that can work well alone, but uses conspiracy theories and events we can relate to as another layer that knits it all together and adds depth and immersion.

The game should not overdose on conspiracy theories just for the sake of things. It should be an idea or theory that adds to the overall experience.

serene_chaos
26th May 2008, 12:54
Yeah, the game shouldnt be "a conspiracy theory game", but conspiracies should make small appearances throughout, as dxexodus said, conspiracies should be there to tie the aspects of the story together.
Personally, i'd prefer more focus on ethics and metaphysics than conspiracy.

gamer0004
26th May 2008, 14:30
Of course I want conspiracies (just like DX) but I don't want some lame 9/11 theories. They'll have to come up with a nice storyline (just like DX). DX had the perfect kind of story.

sea
26th May 2008, 14:32
If they start playing off of Loose Change, I will be severely disappointed. It's just too easy. Nevertheless, the fact that Deus Ex's lore explains that the Twin Towers were bombed by terrorists presents quite the opportunity for exploitation of the current world geo-political situation. I just don't want any cheap cop-outs, I suppose.

~Psychotic~
26th May 2008, 14:39
I want a conspiracy like Deus Ex. I'm still very much hoping JC and Paul are involved in some way (screw Alex, he can go screw a TREE!!! xD) and I do hope any conspiracy is in such detail as Deus Ex 1 was.

I actually hope to get a big game, one that'll take me a decent time to complete. DX:IW was WAAAAY too small compared to DX1. I don't want to see that mistake happen with DX3.

GruntOwner
26th May 2008, 15:05
Conspriacy's by the bucketload please, but make them good. Hell, even go so far as to blatently state that some conspiracies are just plain idiocy. Walking through a military base and in one of the areas you see the mona lisa, and over the infolink "Ha, so this is what they did with it. Those unimaginative pricks, you're more likely to find a hidden message in a happy meal than that thing." just to put amature conspiritors in their place. Deus EX did it brilliantly by taking conspircy theories and making them even better. It wasn't "The templar were trying to look after secret religious affairs" it was "The templars set up world banking until the illuminati splinter took control". The aquinus hub was a non mainstream conspiracy, mainly because it was based on the escilon system, which the USA did in fact go on and abuse. IW just tried to spoon feed you tripe. "The templars don't like augmentation" "the illuminati are idiots who have the entire world answering to one of two sects" "The aliens are just an absoloute farce".

mad_red
26th May 2008, 17:31
The big conspiracy theory that DX1 took was the Illuminati and MJ12 of course. And then there are the ever-present smaller references. The whole story that the NSF-boss at the top of the statue tells you (what was his name again?) set the mood pretty nicely.

I'm a conspiracy theory fan. I don't really put much stock into them (okay, maybe a few), but basically I just love reading other people's ideas and viewpoints. So what I'd really love to see is tying in all kinds of existing conspiracy ideas into the DX3 plot. Most of them needn't be significant to the plot, but the plot should definitely involve a few big ones. I agree though: no random conspiracies, and equal emphasis on ethics, metaphysics, etc. etc.

But if you take stuff like the chemtrails; nanotech experiments on the population delivered through aerosols! And the GM crops thing... after it becomes an established practice, maybe they start introducing experimental nano-tech there too, and then you'd read about you throwing a monkey wrench in their secret program, but they spin it to say a terrorist causes famine by destroying a GM crop research lab.

Awesome Idea (IMHO): They should put the Lone Gunman articles speculating on various conspiracy theories and secret programs, just like they did with the excerpts from Jacob's Shadow!

Hell, even go so far as to blatently state that some conspiracies are just plain idiocy. . This is brilliant! Also, you remind me how well DX1 is written...

Anyway, which specific conspiracies, secret government programs, lost knowledge of ancient civilizations, etc. etc. would you like to see in DX3?

Kneo24
26th May 2008, 17:59
How much conspiracy do I want? I want enough to blow my ******* mind. Nothing more, nothing less.

J.CDenton
26th May 2008, 20:34
Whatever the number of conspiracies needed, if the script is not good it'll perhaps suck. I hope they'll work hard on it!

Blade_hunter
26th May 2008, 21:21
I think the best thing is to get some key moments that allows to change the main parts of the story, the fact we can chose to be bad or good or in between, I think our actions and our choices can change some things.
The first can be the kind of character we are and the gender, I think some characters can get a "different" attitude with us if we are a girl, a man, or an other thing. I don't know but it encourages to try some skin choices ...
The others is the missions, at the init of the game I think the choices are restricted, but when we go further on the game the choices are more. The comportment of the factions with us must be change with our actions in the game. Most of these actions can change the universe of the game and can put us to a "good" end or a "bad" end, I don't want only two endings of course if we have about 10 endings it will be great. I think the fact we help a clan or not can change their attitudes with us we can choose to reveal some informations or not or working for ourself only, I think in the game we can find some special agents like us or with other specs. I think we can use a clan to help us to accomplish a special task.
I don't know but I want some freedom and not an illusion like in DX 2 even if DX 1 is mainly linear. And even in DX 2 the clan system was a great idea but, it's not used properly like some other things on this game ...

I hope they give us choices and the power to change step by step our universe in the game.

HouseOfPain
26th May 2008, 22:20
How many do I want? Enough to blow my ****** brains out. I dont care if this game takes till 2012. (just not 20/12/12 please :P) I want to be amazed.

jcp28
27th May 2008, 02:17
Awesome Idea (IMHO): They should put the Lone Gunman articles speculating on various conspiracy theories and secret programs, just like they did with the excerpts from Jacob's Shadow!

. This is brilliant! Also, you remind me how well DX1 is written...

Anyway, which specific conspiracies, secret government programs, lost knowledge of ancient civilizations, etc. etc. would you like to see in DX3?

I quoted this to help me keep track of what should be in as far as conspiracies go.
Well, I don't mind any references to 9/11 so lon as they are brief, like the mention of the Kennedy assassination in DX 1 by Stanton Dowd I believe. But yeah, you can also run into people that tell you that the government really has more oil than they claim and they are just holding it to keep people in line. Also, I'd suggest mention of the crystal skulls, but that would be like ripping off Indiana Jones now. Also, somebody should mention Project ULTRA. RX-84 and Roswell were both mentioned in DX, so something with a terorist mentioning " the government brainwashing us" would be much appreciated.

S

Gary_Savage
27th May 2008, 05:38
I tend to lean towards the side where some real events and conspiracies are incorporated into the game world. The game should, however, not rely too heavily on these notions as not all people buy into such conspiracies, or they simply don't care much for them. I think that, As DX1 did, DX3 should have a strong and independent story that can work well alone, but uses conspiracy theories and events we can relate to as another layer that knits it all together and adds depth and immersion.

The game should not overdose on conspiracy theories just for the sake of things. It should be an idea or theory that adds to the overall experience.

Very well said, DXeXodus. While I agree with that, for the most part, I would want someone like Leo Gold (the NSF leader at the top of Lady Liberty, in DX1) to throw in a heavy load of facts. I would also want someone like Harley Filben (one of the NFS guys from DX1), with all his story related theories, in DX3. A re-run of any Alex Jones (he made/was involved in Loose Change) might be a tad too much, though.

It would be great to have a conspiracy theory that uses real world physics that cannot be argued with, for example, some 9/11 conspiracy theorists point out that each of the twin towers fell at the same rate that an object would have fallen at, had it been thrown off the top of either tower, just before the collapse -- i.e., both towers fell as if in freefall. These conspiracy theorists use that claim as proof that the twin towers were demolished, using pre-planned explosions. Now, this is a very well constructed conspiracy theory, IMO, because it uses observations that anyone can make (i.e., anyone can go to YouTube, and count the seconds it took each tower to fall), and basic equations of mechanics that anyone can learn to use (i.e., anyone can calculate to show that the buildings fell as if they were in freefall) as its underpinnings. It would be great if some conspiracy theory was put into the game that relies on physics, like the theory I mentioned, so that the player will have to keep guessing what really happened (and whom to trust) for a long, long time.

On another note, I wouldn't want any conspiracy theories about the descendents of Jesus being protected by some group, while being hunted by another.

J.CDenton
27th May 2008, 09:18
What could be good also would be to expand you ability to modify the world around you just by your actions. At first for example you're just know in your area and your decisions will only affect the places around you. BUt as long as you progress through the game and encounter more and more importants peoples your decisions will directly affect a city, a whole country then the world organisation. For example by choosing one organization you can strenghten a country or weaken it, start or end a war, make a chief of state falling from its place or on the contrary place one at the head of a country...

That could be interrestuing to really fell at a point the world's destiny is yours.Then juts by those actions you'll become known as a legend around the world, a whole theory by yourself, papers will talk about a possible but mysteriopus man manipulation the world around you. You just don't meet conspiracies, you become one by yourself...

Gary_Savage
27th May 2008, 11:04
I like most of your idea. I want to play as the invisible hand, except that I don't want the world to know that this hand exists. I only want them to know that "the long night is over." Of course, I could be choosing any of the factions/endings, but the world, at large, should only get disjointed bits and pieces of information, from which most will not be able to piece together a complete puzzle. Those who can, however, will be the enlightened ones, albeit most of them may not even be in a position to change anything.

Think of it this way: an embedded systems engineer walking into an automated factory, late at night (to fix something that just cropped up). Most workers may not even know that their systems are so complicated, and that these machines are controlled by so many embedded systems. So these workers will not even understand the need for this engineer. This engineer will work behind the scenes (as opposed to giving orders, like the managers), and only a few of the workers will even see him/her. Among those who see him/her, most won't even understand what this person does, and they won't even notice all the myriads of circuitry that this engineer deals with. The few, if at all, who see any of the chips will not get to see the other places/machinery that this engineer works in, so they will not be able to build a complete picture of what this engineer does. This engineer's decisions, however, affect these workers' lives. For example, a bad decision by this engineer could reduce the safety in using these machines. The establishment's management, however, has some idea of the what their engineer is doing, though they may not be completely aware of the myriad of decision possibilities that this engineer could have taken. But only these enlightened few have any coherent picture of what their agent (the engineer) is really doing. To the workers this engineer is a ghost, for while he/she is an invisible hand, they may not even know that he/she exists. To the management he/she is a paid employee/consultant, hired for a specific role, but, to an extent, the engineer controls the inner mechanics of how the system works.

I know this is a crude example, and it makes my kind look like a bunch of control freaks who are "so crazed for power that they would control not only governments and people but the chemistry of our bodies as well," but improving our quality of life, and keeping things running, while staying hidden, behind the scenes, was one of the charms of engineering, I think. But I hope that this example (however simplified) shows how I would want my character to influence the world.

serene_chaos
27th May 2008, 13:26
Building on your idea Gary, I think it's slightly cooler if even the engineer himself doesn't know the full consequences of his actions.
Take JC's final decision, whichever it may be. He knew what he had to do, that is, he knew the immediate processes that he would carry out, and he partially knew what would happen to his immediate surroundings after carrying out his actions, but he didn't know exactly how the world would turn out afterwards.

I just played the bit where Jojo meets Gilbert Renton. Now, imagine if Gilbert asked you for a gun, and after either giving him one or not, you left the area, without seeing jojo. The next time you go to the 'Ton front desk you might either see gilbert's, jojo's or sandra's dead body.
THAT's the sort of stuff i want to see. and it'd be even better if it was randomized.

Gary_Savage
27th May 2008, 14:38
THAT's the sort of stuff i want to see. and it'd be even better if it was randomized.

I like it :thumbsup:
I would want my choices to bias the random outcome in favor of some outcomes, and away from others, of course.

mad_red
27th May 2008, 14:59
It's okay not know the exact consequences, but you should at least have a hint to the possibilities, and only rarely be helplessly misled especially in large scale consequences. That was fun with the Omar ending, but very often it's just plain nasty.

One can make half the story based on nothing more than becoming conscious of the pivotal spot you occupy in the world, and the other half on deciding what to do with it.

As for cool conspiracies:

One of the stories I'd love to see is the philadelphia experiment. It was supposed to be a secret expirement to turn a ship invisible. It went wrong, and the ship teleported, it's crew meeting a gruesome fate ending up embedded in the structure of the ship, or catching fire.

I'd love infiltrating a ship or some other location that's undergoing such an experiment! You can't get out in time, and end up teleported and have to escape from the ensuing chaos. Stuff being half out of phase, weird forces and anomalies at work, defence systems haywire... kinda like the ocean lab level, except that you have to get out like in half-life1. You'll find that the way out is a little different than it was on the way in.

More ideas:

Stumbling onto a recording set for a fake Mars landing, but suggesting that the moon landing was in fact real. Something about how conspiracy theories are self-fulfilling prophecies.

You find some captured ethereal force or shapeless anomaly in a special research chamber. The researchers could nickname it "the ghost" or "the vortex" something, and suspect it could somehow be sentient, but otherwise not have much of a clue.

A cloning lab working with skeletal remains of giants or other strange creatures, origins unknown. (But no Annunaki or aliens).

A quarantined and forsaken town in a valley or some far-off place, where all the failed modified (gene, nano, and tech) agents, random homeless, and animals get dumped.

The NSF started as a Federal sting operation to lure opposition out into the open. You were part of it. Only it got out of hand.

J.CDenton
27th May 2008, 15:05
What is needed to establish a good script is also to prevent the way world is running. Beetween the time DX was put in shops and nowadays, things and way to see the world have changed a lot. Especially after the 11/9. Other stuff must be taken into consideration: China's development, Russia's return on the scene, problems in Europe (I'm french, I know what I'm talking about), in society, how we consider things like culture or medias today.

For example, let's see French example: in 2000 when DX1 has been released, T.V didn't show ANY Reality Shows. Today, we just eat that **** (MY point of view) on every channels. Also politics changed a lot. We're facing a more conservative and destructive political situation. And it's the same for a lot of countries, not only France.

Maybe DX3 will have to take into account the new "standards" of today to write its script. To prevent what can happen in the future, we must understand our own world and try to say ourselves "how could it be in X years?".

Conspiracies are still present today. We always speak about some kind of pupettmasters of our own governments which decide, in shadows, what must be done, what must not.

DX1 and 2 has been explaining that stuff but world has changed since. Anyway all we have to do is just wait and see for the next news about the game.

Power_Incarnate
28th May 2008, 04:51
I want all of it =_=
don't want them ALL to be TRUE
but i want ALL the Theories
so your constantly guessing
you have to play almost an old fashioned adventure game to figure out which path to take @_@
i love it ^-^ it make the game so engaging not knowing who to believe not knowing who or where to turn to~
sure this guys is my friend now but is he playing me? and this girl and this corporation saved my life but do i owe them as much as they are asking of me?

And it is always fun to see real world things put in games and movies
but i don't want real world stuff actually part of the story line
i like allusions
such as area 51 in Deus Ex 1 and the Govanator thing in Demolition man (surprisingly tru...ish)

But the story is the most important part!

(P.S Hobos on LSD have great ideas about conspiracy theories ;D)

GruntOwner
28th May 2008, 12:35
(P.S Hobos on LSD have great ideas about conspiracy theories ;D)

That's no way to talk about Dan Brown.:rasp:
Now back on the rail roads, I think they should mainly focus on the central conspiracies and make them absoloutley epic, then start adding in a small army of references to keep people intrigued and have jaw dropping "WHAT?!?" moments over the infolink that never get mentioned again, like when Everett gives you the brief history about the Templar gold and the nazis, which had me going "woah" as soon as I opened the door, only do it on even more things that arn't even relevant objectives, so when you arrive in Paris they start reminicing about their fond memories, and bring up, for one line, how the louvre was used to store one MJ12 munitions and armour so they had enough resources when they staged their coup de'tat.

SomaMech
28th May 2008, 14:03
They should definitely lean towards a Deus Ex level of conspiracies for DX3. I think the Deus Ex description on Steam sum's up how they should deal with conspiracies...

Strong storyline: Built on "real" conspiracy theories, current events and expected advancements in technology. If it's in the game, someone, somewhere believes it.
(http://www.steamgames.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=6910)

serene_chaos
28th May 2008, 14:21
i love it ^-^ it make the game so engaging not knowing who to believe not knowing who or where to turn to~
sure this guys is my friend now but is he playing me? and this girl and this corporation saved my life but do i owe them as much as they are asking of me?

That'd be great. now that i think about it, some of the characters in DX1 seemed a little too... i dont know the word, "squeeky-clean"? They didnt have complicated enough agendas. I mean, dont get me wrong, character development was leaps and bounds ahead of 90% of other games, but there could have been more. The Goodies like tracer tong and even smuggler could have had more of a dark side, ulterior motives. sure smuggler's main goal was to make money, but what if he was also selling weapons to the nsf(or buying from unatco, or something), or what if he was selling zyme or hookers on the side.
Brotha gotta eat.

(damn, this even blocks out the N word... not being racist)

Larington
28th May 2008, 16:15
Comedy (and Irony) dictates that white folks don't have the right to decide when its ok to use, ahem, that word, doubly so in the sense that on the Internet, know one knows what colour anyone is, so everyone gets hit by a blanket rule... Mmmmmm, warm comfy blankets... (The last few sentences aren't entirely serious)

However, it was fairly clear that Tong wasn't a particularly straight forward character to me as he was quite willing to go for this dark age despite knowing the chaos it would cause, or perhaps I'm reading more into his character than there was. Sometimes I wonder though, if you're truly content and happy with your life as it is, then why bother schemeing? That said, perhaps that contentedness was the result of some dirty secret or blood money, waiting to be discovered.

J.CDenton
28th May 2008, 18:58
The script may also explore the elements which will at the end lead to the creation of Unatco and the Denton's Clones. So conspiracies in a way are unveiled and DX3 will just show "how it has all begun": what will be the role of MJXII, how Walton Simmons will become head of the F.E.M.A, the events which will lead to the creation of the Silhouette group, the Liberty Island attack.

Or maybe it'll be a total different story which will just talk a bit about these events. But we can surely expect to find back some "veterans" characters...

Gary_Savage
29th May 2008, 01:16
However, it was fairly clear that Tong wasn't a particularly straight forward character to me as he was quite willing to go for this dark age despite knowing the chaos it would cause, or perhaps I'm reading more into his character than there was.

I agree, quite a bit, with Larington. I think that some of the DX1 characters did have a darker side. Tracer Tong wanted a dark age (despite knowing the consequences), Smuggler would only sell weapons (rather than donate them) even when he knew that lives were at stake (when that ship with the plague virus was in NY), Shea Jordan seemed to know a lot about you (but did not divulge anything about herself), Alex Jacobson knew Tracer Tong even during his UNATCO days (so who else did he know in what capacity, and to what extent), Gary Savage ran his own spy network (those researchers at Ocean Labs) and his own covert operations (I'm not sure of the extent of that, since he sent his own daughter, but it makes you wonder what else he was capable of), Harley Filben worked for the NSF, but he was still on UNATCO's payroll. I can't think of anymore, right now.

Of course, the MJ12 was a little too squeeky clean, being overly one-sided (pure evil), rather than a true alternative to the Illuminati.

GruntOwner
29th May 2008, 15:34
Of course, the MJ12 was a little too squeeky clean, being overly one-sided (pure evil), rather than a true alternative to the Illuminati.

It was headed by a man who wanted absoloute power over people through omnipresent knowledge (the aquinus hub) and un rivaled control over the market (pagenet's monopoly on almost everything). I think we can forgive that level of evil when they make it that logical.

Gary_Savage
29th May 2008, 23:57
Well, I'm pretty sure that Bill Gates would qualify for at least part of Bob Page's characteristics. For example, his disdain for methodical development (which is why he dropped out of school -- this is reminiscent of Bob Page's being impatient, in that he would smash everything in his cubicle, if his plates got contaminated), his anti-competitive practices against rival companies that lead his company into a legal battle (though I'm not sure exactly what the anti-trust charges were, his company did engage in corporate espionage, at some point), his tagging on software (Internet Explorer) that would undermine the competition, his using his software (Internet Explorer) to fake network statistics by sending two requests per click (thus showing his software to be twice as popular as it really was), his undermining the businesses of an entire country (New Zealand) -- albeit, probably unintentionally -- by announcing the WindowsXP's subscription system on very short notice (and at an uncomfortable point in the part of the year for when most of New Zealand's businesses did their financial planning), his (at least trying to) assert control (by asking shop owners to report on customers who bought PCs without Microsoft's Windows installed -- this was tried in at least part of the US, some years back), his wanting to control the world's computing, using the software as a service model, his funding political campaigns to have laws that are favorable to his business interests, etc., etc., etc., though some of this things mentioned may be standard practice among businesses, I'm not sure.

On the other hand, Bill Gates also made some high profile donations, for needy causes, so he seems to have two sides.

I know that the above is simplistic, and it is intended to be; the point is that anyone (from the real world) whom some group or the other may think evil is often also associated with some good causes (or efforts), not just the public opening of a facility that will only serve his/her own business interests. In this respect, I think that Bob Page is lacking.

AaronJ
30th May 2008, 01:28
I would've said as much as the first game, but then I read that this is mainly for prequels. I cannot contribute.

FrankCSIS
30th May 2008, 01:39
Gary don't forget the infamous NSA KEY inserted without developer knowledge in Windows NT and 2000, now simply renamed KEY2 after its discovery and ensuing "scandal" in 2000 ;)

Gary_Savage
30th May 2008, 03:14
I would've said as much as the first game, but then I read that this is mainly for prequels. I cannot contribute.

Hey, chill out, GlobalNode. I think we're all talking about how much, and what kind of conspiracies we would want, using DX1 as the basis for analogies. I don't see what would prevent anyone from drawing on exsiting news material, or DX1 material, to illustrate the kind, level, and amount of conspiracy they would want in a sequel to IW. I think all ideas are welcome, prequel, or sequel.

Gary don't forget the infamous NSA KEY inserted without developer knowledge in Windows NT and 2000, now simply renamed KEY2 after its discovery and ensuing "scandal" in 2000 ;)

Wow. I must have been busy with my board exams, at the time, to have missed that. Thanks for sharing.

ATM, however, I am more concerned about the implications of things like the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), rather than what 'stuff' these companies are putting in my software. I got so frightened when Dmitri Sklyarov got arrested at Defcon, that I decided not to major in Computer Science. Come to think of it, it might be interesting if we have a conspiracy theory (in DX3) where governments are using fear to influence youth's choices of college major, so as to shape the workforce in ways that suit their vision. It might be corny, since I know for a fact that most of my friends from Electrical Engineering will no longer be doing anything like engineering within less time than it took them to get their college degree. A good writer, of course, might be able to weave a story in which governments use fear to compel decisions on college major, and subsequently throw around opportunities to lure people in different kinds of majors towards different kinds of jobs (I hear that the first job has a major impact on a persons career, throughout life). I'm not sure how the writers will show how the US Govt. could go from promoting diversity (to benefit from multiple perspectives on the same problem) to having an almost Stalin inspired zeal for giving it all for the state.

FrankCSIS
30th May 2008, 03:34
Controlling enrollment to a certain degree would be easier than one might think. It seems to me that reality tv has opened the doors for large scale recruitment and some types of propaganda country-wide, and it all started with COPS. I'm surprised we haven't seen an army tv show yet to solve the recruitment problem. Perhaps they thought it might actually scare away people from enlisting!

It's like the border situation. It's always seemed to me the physical border with Canada was an absolute waste of money, ressources and manpower, and just when NAFTA is being reconsidered and the possibility of a type of opened alliance like the EU is ripe to be discussed, some network comes out with a reality show on border patrols. I just can't wait to hear officers justify and glorify their bureaucratic work week after week, and maybe stop a "terrorist" or two on the season premiere or finale.

TV's been changing and shaping the way we view our own country while the actual variables haven't changed at all or gotten better in the past few decades, and it's not too far-fetched to imagine either a government or a group taking advantage of this situation. To transpose it into a game environment and extrapolate on this would be child play.

mad_red
1st Jun 2008, 14:47
Just finished watching the conspiracy-movie "Zeitgeist". I had put it off for a quite a while, figuring that I was familiar with most of the content (I was). Still, even though the presentation is annoying (Something like: "The X-Files: The Reality TV Docu!!!"), I think it's still pretty powerful.

The first part is about the power of religion, and the third about the power of banks. Both are excellent material for DX IMHO. The second part is about 911, which I won't like to see as a big part of DX3 (maybe in DX4 instead ;) ).

Google for "Zeitgeist movie" if you're interested. It's free.
Disclaimer: It's not a happy :) happy :) video. I don't agree with or believe everything in the video. Anyway, enjoy :cool: !!

J.CDenton
1st Jun 2008, 18:06
Well I remember zeitgeist was the password to loggin into Ghermann computer. Coincidence? I'll check that movie...

minus0ne
1st Jun 2008, 18:27
Coincidence?
Yes. Zeitgeist is just an expression.

mad_red
1st Jun 2008, 18:31
Well I remember zeitgeist was the password to loggin into Ghermann computer. Coincidence?

Coincidence? DX1 is quite old, so I don't think there's a direct reference. Which leaves us:
1. Two shapes of the same idea;
2. One thing recalls the other;
3. It's random.

There's always a deeper connection; take a look at this wiki on the word "Zeitgeist"

Origins

In 1769 Herder wrote a critique of the work Genius seculi by the philologist Christian Adolph Klotz and introduced the word Zeitgeist into German as a translation of genius seculi (Latin: genius - "guardian spirit" and saeculi - "of the century").

The German Romantics, habitually tempted to reduce the past to essences, treated the Zeitgeist as a historical character in its own right, rather than a generalized description for an era.

Definitions

"Zeitgeist" refers to the ethos of a select group of people, that express a particular world view which is prevalent at a particular period of socio-cultural progression.

Doesn't sounds too unsuitable for Hermann?