PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 at E3 2008?

Unstoppable
20th May 2008, 23:35
Exhibitor list for 2008:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/19/2008-e3-exhibitor-list-released/

Wonder if this will be the big unveiling of Deus Ex 3? Your thoughts?

AaronJ
20th May 2008, 23:40
I'd go. I live in Eastern Canada, and I'd go. Looking for a way to get out there right now.

=Edit= Just made a deal with my dad. If I pay for the plane tickets he'll pay for everything else. Applying for a job somewhere now.

DXeXodus
21st May 2008, 04:17
I wish I could go.

The list just says Eidos Interactive, does that 100% mean that they will show DX3? Maybe (And I hope it's not so) they are just going talk about the TR series.

Lets hold thumbs that we get some DX3 info from this. I have looked at that lone piece of concept art too many times now

Unstoppable
21st May 2008, 06:19
I always wanted to go to E3 but it's not that big a deal considering that the press reveals everything they can about the games.

rhalibus
21st May 2008, 07:02
Six months is not a long time to have anything ready--I went to the 1999-2004 E3's (where I first saw the glory of Deus Ex), and the year after Deus Ex was released the next E3 didn't have anything yet on Invisible War.

This year's E3 will probably not have anything big on DX3, considering it's coming out late next year...but the 2009 E3 (if there is one) should have a lot of information!

Larington
21st May 2008, 07:42
I live in the UK, so I'm not entirely down on the whole getting into E3 thing, but I thought restrictions had been placed on joe public going to the event now?

DXeXodus
21st May 2008, 09:49
...but I thought restrictions had been placed on joe public going to the event now?

Oh yes, thats right. I remember hearing something about that. Can anyone confirm this?

Unstoppable
21st May 2008, 11:05
I'm pretty sure it's press only, it's never been made open to the public.

http://www.e3expo.com/

As far as I remember anyway.

gamer0004
21st May 2008, 14:14
D'Astous did mention that more information would be given this summer. Which could mean DX3 at E3.

AaronJ
21st May 2008, 18:15
Fine then, 2009 it is.

rhalibus
21st May 2008, 22:20
I was always able to get in to previous E3's through the e3expo website, registering as simply a rep from my film production company (which was technically true :)), until the last year when they required more pertinent information. But now E3 is invitation only--there's not even a way to register on the e3expo site; only a login for the lucky authorized few.

I'm glad I got to go to E3 when I could; it was truly like a geek Disneyland...you actually got giddy during your first walk up the steps of the LA Convention Center and into the booming, chirping, clamoring bedlam of the showroom floor...good times...*sniff*:(

minus0ne
21st May 2008, 22:42
I'm pretty sure it's press only, it's never been made open to the public.

http://www.e3expo.com/

As far as I remember anyway.
Actually anyone could go (with a little effort) back before E3 was lobotomized, although it took a good press pass to get into certain booths. Now it's just devs and press, and... strippers?

Which brings up the following; Who here could pass for a stripper and is willing to go undercover into the Eidos Montreal Champagne & Orgy Grotto?

Seriously though, E3 is dead. It used to be a showcase for large and small devhouses alike. Now it's just EA, EA, and.. those other EAs. It's no surprise so many devs are leaving the ESA and cancelling their (gargantuan) subscription fees. The ESA has become little more than an anti-piracy policy forum, and a lousy one at that.

Unstoppable
25th May 2008, 00:07
E 3 is not dead it has just been changed. Give it a chance, geesh.

HouseOfPain
25th May 2008, 05:32
Oh god.. EA all over the place?

E3 is going the way of G4, which went the way of MTV.

MTV doesnt show music anymore, and G4 is bassicaly showing COPS and CHEATERS and *****.

Poor E3 =(

Freddo
27th May 2008, 01:11
Hasn't been that long since they announced the game. I think it's too soon, and don't think they should show anything. Cause if they do, it will probably just be a very small area, which may change drastically during the rest of the development, or some screenshots that barely tell anything interesting.

They should wait to show stuff until a large part of it is done, cause otherwise people will complain about the "unfinished crap". The initial impression shouldn't have any bad stuff but instead have something that makes the hardcore DX fans go "cool!" who will then proceed to spread the positive impressions across the net and build up a hype. And then work on keeping the hype up to the release, cause hype can sell a great deal of release copies.

Freddo
27th May 2008, 01:21
E 3 is not dead it has just been changed. Give it a chance, geesh.
I don't care much about the E3 changes. It's the ESA changes that are bad. ESA (Entertainment Software Association, who arrange E3 every year and own ESRB) have lost a lot of members this year. Activision, Vivendi, Lucasarts and Id Software have all left ESA this spring.

I'm not 100% sure what has caused this change, but it's not hard to see that the games publishers aren't happy about how ESA changed. I belive it's the new ESA CEOs fault who started last year. The previous ESA CEO (and founder) was a strong defender of video games in the media and so on, giving games a good publicity, but the current one doesn't seem to do anything. It's like he's there just to pimp the money while the whole association go down in ruins.

Larington
27th May 2008, 12:23
This probably didn't help:
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/19/report-e3-2007039s-santa-monica-venue-cost-esa-5-million
"Kotaku is reporting today that the ESA paid a $5 million penalty last year to move E3 out of Los Angeles and into nearby Santa Monica. The penalty was triggered by the ESA's decision to break a contractual agreement to hold the event in L.A. through 2012"

I've also seen the view expressed that the new head isn't as outspoken as the previous one in a few places, including this forum thread.

minus0ne
27th May 2008, 18:41
And as we speak iD Software has also left the ESA:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/23/breaking-id-software-leaves-esa

Larington
27th May 2008, 20:13
I love gamepolitics, its become one of my favourite games sites, partly because of its coverage of Cack Thompson, err Jack Thompson... And his in progress disbarrment proceedings. Mostly because its covering issues that I'd never hear about anywhere else.

phlebas
28th May 2008, 02:01
E3 is going down hill. I say penny arcade expo all the way!

As for seeing DX3 in E3, I wouldn't bet on it. It hadn't been that long since the DX3 passed the concept stage. At best they might have another teaser (which is still good, I guess. I don't think Eidos has been saying much of anything about DX3 recently).

DXeXodus
28th May 2008, 04:47
I'd rather Eidos hold their cards to their chests somewhat with DX3. They must not blast the media with mountains of unfinished work. This just leads to disappointment. I think they must just release small bits of information and only high quality polished images that speak of the final product as much as is possible. This should be done in a gradual and controlled manner, building up the hype and excitement of fans, but in a realistic manner.

I think all of us had basically played and finished DOOM 3 before it was released due to the amount of images, videos, tech demos, in-depth interviews etc that were available, many of which only led to disappointment with the final product (for many people) and I don't want that to happen to DX3.

Dont get me wrong. I love getting info about the new DX game. But it must be controlled properly. They are doing a good job so far by not making all sorts of unrealistic claims and showing us hundreds of little concept images which we will never see materialize.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2008, 04:45
They definitely need to show something from this game at E3. It was announced months ago, it will come out sometime next year, and the public needs a seed planted in their minds.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 22:25
EA - will most def be spore
Valve - Probably showing off ep3? probably not.
Microsoft - will probably be alan wake (should be good)
Ubisoft - farcry 2 or the never dying prince of persia?
Eidos - ... Too far from DX3 might release another trailer thats it. Lets see... TR underworld probably. Ill look forward to the generic tits with guns adventure game. The last remake was decent and I enjoyed legend

I must agree that E3 isn't what it use to be.

Necros
14th Jul 2008, 11:13
I hope they are there. I NEED some info about the game!

René
14th Jul 2008, 14:36
As for seeing DX3 in E3, I wouldn't bet on it. It hadn't been that long since the DX3 passed the concept stage.

Bear in mind the game just passed its "proof of concept" barely six months ago, nevermind actual development. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16714

Tsumaru
15th Jul 2008, 00:53
Why must you dash our hopes again and again?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Jul 2008, 06:10
Bear in mind the game just passed its "proof of concept" barely six months ago, nevermind actual development. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16714

True... but its always nice to dream. :p

gamer0004
15th Jul 2008, 15:23
Technically, 6 months is quite a lot. As the plans are to take 2 years for the whole game, that means they've already done about 1/4 of all work. They'll already have the storyline finished by a long time and they've probably thought out most of the game mechanisms.

imported_van_HellSing
15th Jul 2008, 16:21
Screw E3, the Games Convention is where it's at these days. I was there two years ago and it was absolutely EPIC.

raz3r
16th Jul 2008, 11:09
So are there any announcements about Deus Ex 3 and E3?

El_Bel
16th Jul 2008, 11:32
No, but we have a new Red Faction!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36475.html

I haven't seen any news from eidos..

AndyRaffle
16th Jul 2008, 12:23
Technically, 6 months is quite a lot. As the plans are to take 2 years for the whole game, that means they've already done about 1/4 of all work. They'll already have the storyline finished by a long time and they've probably thought out most of the game mechanisms.

I suppose it depends on their schedule. They have the engine (mostly) ready from the start, which helps a lot. But I doubt that any of the levels are anywhere near ready to show off yet. In any case, as most of the forum have said, the magic of DX1 was in the characters and the unfolding story. It's not such an action game as some others, and we've already seen what the engine can do in other Eidos games.

So what can they do in a 2 minute video to show off the real magic of the game?

El_Bel
16th Jul 2008, 13:19
Well, i dont want a gameplay video..

I want to know if it is a prequel.. I want more concept art!!

rhalibus
16th Jul 2008, 18:48
While a DX3 gameplay video isn't yet available, there are a few videos from that other Eidos game that uses the same updated Crystal Dynamics engine that DX3 will use: Tomb Raider: Underworld...:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCroft

Kevyne-Shandris
21st Jul 2008, 09:43
While a DX3 gameplay video isn't yet available, there are a few videos from that other Eidos game that uses the same updated Crystal Dynamics engine that DX3 will use: Tomb Raider: Underworld...:)

Not bad. It's DARK, and I see there's a-l-o-t of movement. ;)

Now does that mean we'll get our crates to make ladders and such? Does it also mean the Havok engine issues (like too high gravity that can knock things off of shelves) will be fixed? Will we have the ability to use augs to climb :cough: statues and buildings :cough: like Laura does naturally?

Hmmmmm........

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 06:09

Kicking this up, since finding this...

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194746&pid=942721&tag=top_stories;title;26

Come on Eidos, when a console game about cooking in momma's kitchen is getting E3 press time, DX3 needs some more publicity!!

Eidos has always been bad about getting the necessary publicity for their games (I never heard of DX, until that chance Yahoo games download experience -- 3 years after it's original release). Never recalled it on store shelves, despite I was buying games from computer stores at it's release time.

The same is playing out again. I can get wall-to-wall coverage about Project Origin (and if it's distribution is like F.E.A.R., even Wal-Mart will have the game on it's shelves, despite the M rating and content). I bought F.E.A.R. and BF2142 at Wal-Mart, even. Will even Tomb Raider be found at Wal-Mart (supposely Eido's main franchise)? Unless the game is actually available to the masses, the game won't get the exposure no matter how it's spammed online or at game sites. People have to want to goto Wal-Mart (or another major retailer) and grab it while doing their weekly shopping.

Two months to wait for a blog, 2 years for a game...meanwhile, I know more about a Wii game about cooking in momma's kitchen. :mad2:

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 06:15
Oh, while I'm at it...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/flower/news.html?page=1&sid=6194156

Now how about that? Innovative - Yes? Creative - Yes? What's needed in this stale cookie cutter game world now - YES??!!

DX3?

Cr4sh
24th Jul 2008, 07:57
I don't care when DX3 will be released, I only hope it will be at a time faaar in the future, so that they have enough time to make it the best shooter-RPG mix ever (oir at least since DX1 - which i probably will begin once again after my exams...). It WILL be worth the effort!

I would be pleased with a trailer such as the last one, the hunt for information was just very cool.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 09:39
I don't care when DX3 will be released,

I do.

Release teasers, to entice interest, it better be backed up. Not as "vapor ware" but the real McCoy.

See there's a host of games that got a lot of interest. Promises made about all these neat things.

2 years pass. 3 years pass. 5 years pass.....

So, yeah fans would like a monthly update (not much to ask, considering if a game is more than 10hrs long). Don't want to find out if JC doesn't even exist in DX3 3 days before release, ya know?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2008, 12:48
I don't care when DX3 will be released, I only hope it will be at a time faaar in the future, so that they have enough time to make it the best shooter-RPG mix ever (oir at least since DX1 - which i probably will begin once again after my exams...). It WILL be worth the effort!

I would be pleased with a trailer such as the last one, the hunt for information was just very cool.

In total agreement here. :cool:
I want Eidos Montreal to make Deus Ex 3 the most awesome game ever. I have every confidence that they can deliver... but they will need the time to achieve this, with no pressure. I say, give them this time and the best of luck to them.
Maybe we can edit the thread title to "2009" now, hehe. :D

Yeah, I loved all the discussion on the teaser trailer. It was more than enough to gather interest. :cool:
If we get another one, that would be awesome too... but no problems if not. I guess we will have to just sit tight and wait patiently - no matter what. :)

AaronJ
27th Jul 2008, 18:32
No, but we have a new Red Faction!!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36475.html

I haven't seen any news from eidos..

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I can feel the hype-o-meter wavering.

jordan_a
27th Jul 2008, 19:07
I hate this kind of videos which focus on technical features... It's an illustration of what's wrong in the video games today. And these guys are the ones responsible for it.

Kevyne-Shandris
27th Jul 2008, 19:18
I hate this kind of videos which focus on technical features... It's an illustration of what's wrong in the video games today. And these guys are the ones responsible for it.

What technical features? ;)

The last dev video I watched was with F.E.A.R. XP. Was turned off of it because how excited he was, when the content wasn't anything really new. I'm not a dev, but I'm not blind.

Hope DX never faces that drought of content. Same textures; reusing music that becomes symbolic to levels (can you play DX with the Versalife theme on the Liberty Island level?); to it's the same slam, bam, thank you man shoot up.

Don't care how the devs would justify it. If it's boring content, it's boring.

AaronJ
27th Jul 2008, 20:12

They've been over the plot with Red Faction: Guerrilla. Then they show a demo of how they are revamping Geo-Mod extraordinarily. Is it wrong to display a games unique feature? No. They were simply explaining how today's technology can help them bring Geo-Mod further. While I would much rather prefer a trailer, I see nothing wrong with showcasing their excellent new feature. Plot is a big slice of the cake, but not all. When they make a "LOOK AT THE NEW GRAPHICS, THEY SHOW MUD AND WATER" video, I will be concerned.

Absentia
27th Jul 2008, 23:57

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCroft

Sorry, you can't base DX3 speculation from what Underworld looks like.

"Play's assertions that this is the "first true next gen Lara" and "one big physics smorgasbord" which "looks altogether photo-real"[13] led to speculation that Tomb Raider: Underworld might be using a new game engine for its next-generation graphics rather than the system used by Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Deus Ex 3.[15] Later, the Senior Producer and External Designer separately confirmed that Underworld uses an all-new engine that was built especially for it"

Kevyne-Shandris
28th Jul 2008, 00:14
Isn't the Crystal engine inhouse and designed to be customized inhouse for just that reason?

jordan_a
28th Jul 2008, 01:35
Concerning the E3 itself, it's pretty bad. EA, Ubi Soft and many others have made it clear.

AaronJ
28th Jul 2008, 03:20
Concerning the E3 itself, it's pretty bad. EA, Ubi Soft and many others have made it clear.

Looks like Red Faction: Guerrilla was the only fantastic thing out of it this year. Gears of War 2 is too mediocre to warrant hype, having been already released as well, under the name Unreal Tournament 3. But "I Am Alive" looks intriguing, but I'm sure more information will be released to ruin the mystery soon. Lord of The Rings: Conquest will warrant a buy (maybe when the price drops, I still can't be arsed to buy games for over $30, its just ridiculous). Other than that, I have to say, pleh.