PDA

View Full Version : idea

DLGenesis
9th May 2008, 04:58
dunno if this has been brought up before so here goes

nourishment system

food and drink used to heal until the user becomes full

user gradually become hungry over time and also by exerting ones self

when the user becomes hungry the character should weaken (slow down and become less effective)

Gary_Savage
9th May 2008, 06:06
I'm not sure how popular this idea will be. I, for one, would rather that the developers concentrate on giving the player character an improved version of the DX1 skills, including skills for physical feats, like mantling, rolling, blocking (during hand to hand/close quarters combat, as in Thief1's sword fighting -- forgive my ignorance of the proper terms, here); but only AFTER coming up with a good storyline, first. If resources still permit, then, personally, I would rather they improve the aiming system, giving DX1 like aiming to iron sights. BTW, I think that food and sleep was brought up, quite recently, in some thread -- it did not seem all that hot to a lot of people.

Fen
9th May 2008, 09:15
Yeah sorry, but Im not a fan of requiring food/sleep/toilet breaks etc. Its just not needed. I also like the idea of having lots of food and drink arounda all the lvels that can be used to heal really small amuonts of health. I remember emptying vending machines when really low on health, which was funny.

Nathan2000
9th May 2008, 09:38
Such system doesn't fit Deus Ex. In fiction, each mission is completed in a few hours - you don't have time to get hungry. Eating every five minutes is dumb. Imagine a special agent having lunch on an assasination mission.

jordan_a
9th May 2008, 09:54
Bad
idea ****

DXeXodus
9th May 2008, 10:38
Such system doesn't fit Deus Ex. In fiction, each mission is completed in a few hours - you don't have time to get hungry. Eating every five minutes is dumb. Imagine a special agent having lunch on an assasination mission.

Agreed

Voltaire
9th May 2008, 14:27

But in Deus Ex? Can you really remember any point where JC had a break from either manically globe-trotting, sneaking round blowing stuff up, busting out of jail, or falling under the influence of neuro-paralytic gas? This is because the game isn't broken up properly into "missions", it flows seamlessly from one goal to the next.

So I can see where the OP was coming from (a little extra immersion into the game never hurt), but I don't see it happening.

Doom972
9th May 2008, 16:46
Doesn't sound like an improvement...
If you have to feed Denton III manually, it'll become as annoying as it was in GTA:SA, if he'll consume the food in the inventory automatically than it'll be pretty pointless.

I always assumed the main character did this kind of stuff during flights.

Fen
9th May 2008, 17:13
Doesn't sound like an improvement...
If you have to feed Denton III manually, it'll become as annoying as it was in GTA:SA, if he'll consume the food in the inventory automatically than it'll be pretty pointless.

I always assumed the main character did this kind of stuff during flights.

yeah, look at JC's flight path. NY to Hong Kong, back to NY, to Paris etc. All via chopper. Thats gotta take a long time. He has plenty of time to eat, drink, and sleep while in the chopper.

gamer0004
9th May 2008, 20:20
I always carry soda with me. It heals up to 20 points of health and they can be found everywhere. I don't want to waste medkits. I always finish the game having the maximum amount of medkits. Which is pretty failed actually.
But 20 points and like 10 extra each mission as you can find them everywhere. And I drink as much forty as possible, that heals you too.

Voltaire
9th May 2008, 20:24
yeah, look at JC's flight path. NY to Hong Kong, back to NY, to Paris etc. All via chopper. Thats gotta take a long time. He has plenty of time to eat, drink, and sleep while in the chopper.

But who goes to Hong Kong, New York and Paris and choses to eat airline food? :D

minus0ne
10th May 2008, 06:48
I always carry soda with me. It heals up to 20 points of health and they can be found everywhere. I don't want to waste medkits. I always finish the game having the maximum amount of medkits. Which is pretty failed actually.
But 20 points and like 10 extra each mission as you can find them everywhere. And I drink as much forty as possible, that heals you too.
Soy food heals 5 points each (and I think you can carry 10) and they're pretty much everywhere too. One of DX's hidden charms, advertising how healthy soy food is :p

gamer0004
10th May 2008, 08:20
Soy food heals 5 points each (and I think you can carry 10) and they're pretty much everywhere too. One of DX's hidden charms, advertising how healthy soy food is :p

When I see them, I eat them, but it is actually way more efficiƫnt to carry soda with you. They are much more common so it will eventually heal more.

Tracer Tong
10th May 2008, 12:34
I'd like this thread's poster to ponder about something:
Do we REALLY need to nourish our character? In any first/third person game and movies, characters don't eat, sleep or go to the bathroom unless it has something to do with the plot and/or has a commercial bound to it...

And the award for THE WORST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD IN THIS FORUM goes to.... 'idea' :mad2:

P.S. I hated the way you got thin if you didn't eat in GTA:SA

Doom972
10th May 2008, 14:28
Reading this thread reminded me of a disturbing fact:
In both DX games you're never able to eat meat!
You see thos chickens in Hong Kong but that's about it.
I have a good idea for the next game:
MEAT! Denton III shouldn't be a *****...
(j/k all you vegetarians out there who will outlive me by hundreds of years)

jcp28
10th May 2008, 18:55
I remember in MGS 3, you had to search for food to help keep you from starving. But the mechanism there worked because gameplay was seamless, and you were pretty much sneaking around in the jungle anyway. But requiring you to search for food in DX game would not fit the game's overall purpose in a number of ways. Besides that, it's cumbersome.

MetalRaven
10th May 2008, 23:26
Why stop there? Lets make him be forced to go to bed at a certain time. Oh and use the washroom. Hey why dont we make him have bills to pay and a nagging wife he fell out of love with years ago? An annoying dog that he doesnt even like, that would get mad at him if he doesnt pet it every so many minutes. It could get mad and do dmg to him. Oh, while we're at it lets make him have a crappity job like a telemarketer. Lol Thanx anyway I have enough of that in real life ;) There is a point where realism hampers gameplay. BTW im just teasing no offense meant and I dont have a dog. Honestly getting a bonus for eating (healing as done in the past) is fine...but forcing it is just an extra annoyance no one needs. Any immersive aspects should be optional and at the discretion of the player to discover.

Unstoppable
11th May 2008, 04:12
This is a game and I disagree with this idea simply because it will turn into less of a game and more into realism. Plus you would have to sleep etc so it wouldn't make sense to just have to consume. I vote no. Food/drink for health is ok. :thumbsup:

Voltaire
11th May 2008, 11:44
...In any first/third person game and movies, characters don't eat, sleep or go to the bathroom unless it has something to do with the plot and/or has a commercial bound to it...

:eek: Good point. We dont want:

[JC pops open a Dr Pepper]
JC: What's the worst that could happen?

Product placement would suck, unless it was ironic. Like Wal-mart getting bought by Page industries and re-branding as Bob-Mart...

jcp28
11th May 2008, 17:19
:
Product placement would suck, unless it was ironic. Like Wal-mart getting bought by Page industries and re-branding as Bob-Mart...

I know this is an example, but that would still be pretty funny.:) The developers would probably have to settle for some sort of copy since Wal-Mart is a major retailer. Of course, I doubt a company like Page Industries would be interested in retailers. I don't think that's in their description.

DXeXodus
12th May 2008, 05:12
Just keep the same system. It is not necessary to the game dynamic. If it's going to be incorporated it should be done as in S.T.A.L.K.E.R which I felt was done really well in this regard. You are free to disagree of course. I'd be happy if they include all sorts of food and drink, but just keep it for health-increase purposes.