PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to see in the prequel?

mad_red
6th May 2008, 17:30
And what could they be up to?

(And how would you react to them?)

One of the top picks might be Sam Carter, the retired general / quartermaster at UNATCO. The guy made a big impression on me and actually changed my playing style on my first playthrough (I didn't kill everything that moved anymore).

Another possibility could be Joe Greene. Probably looking for some stories! He really got on my nerves the first time around, and I'd love to smack him around a little.

Come on! Who do you want to see? Gunther Hermann? Maggie Chow? The protoype AI? Lucius deBeers?

Edit: Dunno about the timeline. I don't think the teaser mentioned anything solid? "Biopolitic vote 2027" doesn't confirm anything, so get whimsical!

Vasarto
6th May 2008, 19:34
Paul Denton

Doom972
9th May 2008, 16:55
I really hope this game is a sequel and not a prequel, But if it will (and again I really hope it won't) - I'd like to see the young, unaugmented Walton Simons.
And Nicollete...

paul
9th May 2008, 17:21
It would be good to hear more about Paul Denton, about how he came to work for the NSF.

serene_chaos
10th May 2008, 02:24
yeah, sam carter.
I want to work with him on the Merced Operation, and see him take out a whole platoon with a pocket knife.
There should be at least one reference to Jock working at Area 51.
References, to the little things.

mad_red
10th May 2008, 15:43
I guess that's true - most likely we'll see only a few small references and cameos, but that will already be awesome if included. Goes to show how much I love the DX1 cast.

For the sequel it's hard to say who we'll see, whereas if it's a prequel, I guess we'll have to be content with the older guys: Manderley, Carter, Everett, etc. Everyone else might be just kids.

RedFeather1975
10th May 2008, 21:23
I honestly can't think it's a prequel.
The fetus doesn't feel like anything that was capable of existing in a prequel.
Only the information being shown that's transferring into the fetus' looks to be from history.

AaronJ
11th May 2008, 00:43
And here we are, already talking like its written in stone.

Gary_Savage
11th May 2008, 01:12
Heh heh, didn't you start the thread: "It Is Not A Prequel: The Final Prequel Thread?" :D
Just messing with you.

Anyway, it's nice to see people discussing prequel, and sequel ideas. I'm a little disappointed to not find any threads dedicated to sequel ideas, though, despite hoping for a prequel, myself.

mad_red
12th May 2008, 13:23
Heh heh, didn't you start the thread: "It Is Not A Prequel: The Final Prequel Thread?" :D
Just messing with you.

Anyway, it's nice to see people discussing prequel, and sequel ideas. I'm a little disappointed to not find any threads dedicated to sequel ideas, though, despite hoping for a prequel, myself.

I guess the only reason while I tend toward a prequel is that I think it will take less time to draw up an interesting story set in a living world. Making the far future come to life, coming up with an interesting story in a realistic world, incorporating ethical questions and strange technology, I imagine that will take a lot of time and effort. Maybe that's why people can't discuss it easily.

I really respect the effort they put into Invisible War, even if the end result isn't enough to satisfy me entirely. But if they can deliver this time around - hey, go for it! Still I think not many people are willing to wait so long for a sequel, even an excellent sequel, so I'll be happy if they make good use the material they have and the time it saves them.

Uhmm... did I hijack my own thread?

Voltaire
13th May 2008, 18:06
I honestly can't think it's a prequel.
The fetus doesn't feel like anything that was capable of existing in a prequel.
Only the information being shown that's transferring into the fetus' looks to be from history.

Woah. I hadn't even considered that the uber-fast montage was in vivo information transfer. I suppose it makes sense though...

As for cameos and re-appearances, I would hate to see Joe Greene, he really annoyed me in DX1, despite being a bit part.

I'd like to see cool, but not cheesy, explanations for certain stuff in DX. I might wanna see Sam Carter lose his eye, or Juan Lebedev becoming disenfranchised with American governmental policy. It's a shame they left DX1 so airtight in terms of loose ends, and didn't predict success and sequels, then the series could have been an all in one saga rather than a sequence of episodic cyberpunk fables.

Episodic cyperpunk fables. Is that a metal band? :nut:

AaronJ
13th May 2008, 18:26
If Deus Ex 3 is a prequel, it would have to be something like the Star Wars continuity. Everything is far more advanced in the past, its ridiculous. Thats reason #45454/3526543764537657657657 why the Star Wars prequels sucked.

Helios_Denton66
14th May 2008, 00:43
I'd also like to see young JC in training... Maby even the Echallon III in building [also known as Deadelus

DXeXodus
14th May 2008, 04:12
I would love to see Paul. He was a brilliant character from the original game and they completely hacked him (and JC) in Invisible war. If it were to be a prequel, then I want to play as Paul. An original Denton... Not some whining skinny boy (Alex).

A prequel has the potential to be a great success as it can draw upon the same inspiration as DX1... Same world setting, character histories, etc. It would be great to see how these characters form and where they stand before the Original game takes place. It could even overlap into the original game if you play as Paul. It could be a prequel and a gap filler during the same timeline as the original.

More on topic though, Id like to see (timeline permitting of course):

Jaime Reyes
Alex Jacobson
Sam Carter
Walton Simmons
Gunther and Anna
etc...

jcp28
14th May 2008, 22:30
I think Jacobson would be much too young by the time DX 3 takes place. Unless Paul is the protagonist, but I don't feel like discussing that right now.

jordan_a
14th May 2008, 22:38
Nobody if the story justifies it.

jcp28
16th May 2008, 00:28
Jordan Shea, the Underworld bartender might be a good pick. She was the first mech-augmented agent, I believe.

Apollonius
16th May 2008, 01:08
Yeah, I was thinking about her too, and also Gary Savage and Jock. It would be good to see them included in the story to some degree. But if everyone managed to get included then it might become a little far fetched and corny... plus they can’t be killed coz then DX1 won’t make sense, but there are heaps of ways to work around that.

For example, it would be cool to get rescued at some point during the game by Jock, but not to have him as the main pilot in the game. Just to make an appearance coz we’d know that he would have existed if the prequel was set not too far before the original. That way there's some interaction, back-story and nostalgia for fans and new players would be none-the-wiser.

Maybe we hear of or receive some new technology developed by Savage or get to speak to them over videoconference or something at least.

Perhaps we'll just end up reading various newspaper articles or data cubes containing info about characters during the game if we choose to. That way it's still immersive for fans but not integral to the plot if the developers want to take the game in a different direction. It would seem like a bit of a copout though not to have anything more than a newspaper article about a character but in some cases I guess it’ll probably have to suffice.

I’d be happy to see Joe Green sticking to writing the ‘recently deceased’ section of the newspaper and that would be a nice touch :P

I think that it's important that the devs consider fans and have some references to characters from the other games to some degree and I have faith that they will. As long as they stay true to the original, it had the right formula.

Gary_Savage
16th May 2008, 01:22
Yeah, I was thinking about her too, and also Gary Savage...

Yes, Gary Savage would love to see Jordan Shea, too! :D

While I'm not sure that she's the first mech aug (I probably missed that, if that's the case), she does seem to be a little disenfranchised, and she seems to harbor secrets and connections, too. I remember getting the feeling that she was connected to some underground network, the moment she said "Mr. Denton, I know who you, and I know your brother... leave town." Also, at one point I fired a weapon in the NYC bar, and she shot gunned me down with quite some skill, so I think that either she went quite far into her training, while at UNATCO, or she kept up her training later on, maybe even with some other organization. She was a secretive woman whom I'd like to know more about.

Apollonius
16th May 2008, 01:47
LOL great minds think alike hey Gary :nut:

Yeah, I remember copping a shotgun to the face from her too. Very nice. She was pretty cool, enigmatic, and didn’t mind showing off her sexy arms either. There's a lot that they could work with by choosing to including her in the prequel.

Gary_Savage
16th May 2008, 02:32
I liked her for another reason, as well. Right at the beginning of DX1 (I think it was at the beginning) we're told that nano-augs were created to be able to blend in with the crowd. Our Jordan Shea, of course, only had her arms augmented. So, a nice, long sleeved top, along with a handy pair of gloves, and she'd be as sociable as any girl in a bar. I can't remember if she had any facial markings, though. I remember, on my first mission, thinking that I would actually get to work with her, simply because I figured she could blend in. When she told me to leave town (my first playthrough) I really thought the she would fight for the resistance, and help me find some secret tunnel out of town (and I had not even known of the tunnel system under DX1's NYC, at the time, where the MJ12 had a secret base). I still think of her as a person who tries to look neutral, but one who has an agenda. In the gaming world, to me, she is the embodiment of mystique.

Apollonius
16th May 2008, 03:05
Yeah, right at the end of the training mission in DX, Jaime Reyes shows you the ‘pictures’ of Anna Navara or Gunter and compares them to Paul Denton. He mentions how their technology was very obvious whereas JC and Paul’s nanotech was supposed to be the new wave of more discrete biomodification. Not sure whether he mentioned it being more powerful or not but it was supposed to be the new generation of technology.

As I mentioned in one of my other posts somewhere, the teaser video of the foetus would most likely give ‘birth’ to a prequel coz looks more mechanised than nano augmented.

Quoting myself here:
" If that’s the case then I’d like to see us play as a character who perhaps incorporates both nanotech and ‘mech’ augs and upgrades. I guess it would make sense too…like a mech upgrade for telescopic vision or increased strength but a nano upgrade for regeneration and sonar/xray vision. And since nanotech would be in its infancy at this time, mechanical augs would allow the devs to include some new, innovative and also powerful augs.

If that was the case then maybe we could control our character’s appearance during the game depending on what upgrades we choose to include. This would probably also influence the way different NPCs in the game interact with us or if we become more of an obvious target to enemies or intimidate them. It would be cool to see how things pan out. "

Gary_Savage
16th May 2008, 04:49
As I mentioned in one of my other posts somewhere, the teaser video of the foetus would most likely give ‘birth’ to a prequel coz looks more mechanised than nano augmented.

I probably mentioned this before, but I think that the foetus might be a piece of contemporary art from the DX3 era (if it is a prequel). It could be a work rendered out of fear that people would be augmenting their babies (just as people now have the fear that some people want to have designer babies), or it could be rendered out of hope that babies would be transhuman even before being born. It could also be a concept art of a hope by a faction in the game, bent on having a loyal group of people who will never question transhumanism, simply because of never having been anything but transhuman (the project culminating in Paul and JC, who had implanted memories).

On the other hand, someone (perhaps on another thread) mentioned that the foetus could be in the game, and that human history was being sent to its brain even before it was born. Now, I've heard of an extreme case, in which a kid memorized part of religious text before being born, from repetitively hearing his mother read it while he was in the womb (and no, I have no evidence to support, or to negate that), so I cannot actually deny that possibility. Just as today we have doctors/researchers working on implants (augmentations, if you will) that will elongate limbs, over time (if I remember right, this work is being conducted in Russia), it could be possible that in future it will be possible to have augmentations that grow with the baby. So, from the point of view of growing augmentations, we could still have a prequel (to DX1), but if the baby is being fed information prenatally (if that is a word), then we could not have a game set in any period before DX:IW (since JC and Paul had the memories implanted after being born), unless it turns out that educating the baby prenatally was a failed experiment in the pre-DX1 world, which was what led to Paul and JC's being memory implanted long after being born. O, there are so many prequel/sequel possibilities from an augmented baby being fed information prenatally! I don't think I will be able to think up each permutation.

serene_chaos
16th May 2008, 06:40
yeah, it'd be cool if you make choices of mechanical or nano augs, and that affects what factions are available as allies.
both would have advantages and disadvantages: mechanical augs might break or jam occasionally, and nano augs would still be in infancy.

DXeXodus
16th May 2008, 07:06
yeah, it'd be cool if you make choices of mechanical or nano augs, and that affects what factions are available as allies.
both would have advantages and disadvantages: mechanical augs might break or jam occasionally, and nano augs would still be in infancy.

That is an intersting idea and would make for an interesting play dynamic. I'd love to play as an agent with a kind of hybrid system of mechanical and bio-mechanical systems.