PDA

View Full Version : Viral ad campaign or some complete idiot?

AaronJ
5th May 2008, 18:02
http://www.unatco.org/

minus0ne
5th May 2008, 18:23
Iirc that's just a DX fansite that's been up for some time. Don't remember anything about this though;

Im gonna rock you like a baby when the cities fall
We will rise as the buildings crumble
Float there and watch it all
Amidst the burning, we'll be churning
You know, love will be our wings
The passion rises up from the ashes
When the world ends

At any rate, I doubt it's just a complete idiot, after all, at least he or she's got some good taste in games ;)

serene_chaos
6th May 2008, 11:45
So i registered this domain on a whim and now i'm bored with it. What should i do with it? I dont want to make a DX fansite. Email me: manderley@unatco.org

apparently last modified "Tuesday, 6 May 2008 11:13:55 AM" according to my firefox (but i assume that's US time, and i'm in Australia, so it doesn't mean anything to me).

you think anyone's emailed him? someone should turn it into a mock government unatco front-page, for the hell of it.

B0b_P@ge
6th May 2008, 14:02
apparently last modified "Tuesday, 6 May 2008 11:13:55 AM" according to my firefox (but i assume that's US time, and i'm in Australia, so it doesn't mean anything to me).

you think anyone's emailed him? someone should turn it into a mock government unatco front-page, for the hell of it.

Cool, I noticed that too! Some buddy should definitely do that.

Voltaire
6th May 2008, 14:14
Who says we buy it off him? A unatco email adress would rock my world.

:D :D :D

Nathan2000
6th May 2008, 16:36
An idea of a site is great.

There was an old UNATCO-stylized fansite at http://contrast.150m.com/unatco/index.htm. It is dead now. You need to search a pseudo-FTP folder (an icon on the right side of the screen) in order to get to the content. I'd like to see something like that under that URL.

At any rate, I doubt it's just a complete idiot, after all, at least he or she's got some good taste in games
Maybe he thought that Eidos will want to reactivate the UNATCO site and wanted to resell it for big money?

AaronJ
6th May 2008, 17:48
UNATCO couldn't still exist after the events of the first DX and IWar. So UNATCO won't be in DX3. Because it is not a prequel.

Maximus
7th May 2008, 02:57
hey all, yeah this is my site. I put that up as a placeholder a little while ago, cos i'm not too sure what i want to do with the site. I'm talking with Jordan now about what we should do with the site: anyone got any suggestions?

Also, i'm happy to give out an @unatco.org email addresses as a reward to people who make good suggestions!

Don't want anything big or hard to maintain but ideas would be great

manderley and jcdenton@unatco.org are taken.

Maximus

DXeXodus
7th May 2008, 04:27
Whether or not DX3 is a sequel or a prequel, the site could serve as a collection of all things DX3 as they come out. One source for all of the teasers, concept artworks, developer diary, interviews and other press releases. Just a succint and neat collection of all the stuff available on the internet that is fueling the hype machine. There is not much available now (some interviews, a teaser, global noded analysis and a concept art pic) but that will change in the not too distant future.

Also, It could contain all of the main conspiracies found in DX and a description of them, which would make for good reading, except it would be a pain to write/source.

Just some ideas, would be cool to get a site going now on the suggestions of us forumites.

gamer0004
7th May 2008, 15:30
I'd like a site simply about UNATCO. About the employees and their position in the world (in 2052). And possibly other organisations in DX3 and IW.
And perhaps some fan fiction about Paul Denton for instance?

Voltaire
7th May 2008, 18:19
I'd like a site simply about UNATCO. About the employees and their position in the world (in 2052). And possibly other organisations in DX3 and IW.
And perhaps some fan fiction about Paul Denton for instance?

Yeah, kept nice and simple. It wouldn't need that many pages to look like a reasonable in-universe 2052 website... in fact, I'm pretty sure you could get plenty of people here to contribute to it if you needed. A few agent profiles, a little UNATCO history, aims and achievements, snippets from the handbook. You're onto a winner here :thumbsup:

gamer0004
7th May 2008, 18:39
BTW: maybe you know the discusion about clearances, especially the god-clearance? I believe god-clearance doesn't exist, because of the way Jamey Reyes talks about clearances. Gonna check it out.

AaronJ
8th May 2008, 02:11
God clearance wasn't real, in my opinion. It was an exaggeration used twice.

Maximus
13th May 2008, 04:00
Changed the site a bit with a nice little pic and some text. What do you guys think of that?

So we have had a few good ideas - a Deus Ex based ARG, a small Unatco site, a hacking game based in the DX universe. I want to hear back from the developers before i make any decisions; if they need/want it for marketing purposes its all theirs of course.

Do we have any writers in the forums who'd like to contribute in the event of making some kind of game? Or anyone who'd want to put in a bit of time for running / maintaining the site?

Cheers guys,

Maximus

DXeXodus
13th May 2008, 04:31
It is good to see something new on the site. I'd be glad to help with anything on the graphic design side of things. I'm not to clued up on web design, but I have got a fair amount of design and graphic skill. So just PM me if you would like some help. :thumbsup:

xiaokiraa
13th May 2008, 12:34
Iirc that's just a DX fansite that's been up for some time. Don't remember anything about this though;

"Im gonna rock you like a baby when the cities fall
We will rise as the buildings crumble
Float there and watch it all
Amidst the burning, we'll be churning
You know, love will be our wings
The passion rises up from the ashes
When the world ends "

At any rate, I doubt it's just a complete idiot, after all, at least he or she's got some good taste in games ;)

What was the point in quoting a lyric passage by Dave Matthews band? :o

gamer0004
13th May 2008, 13:59
I'd like to help, but since I'm not that good at CSS and things like that I could only be useful for writing texts. But if I can be of any help, I'll be glad to help.

Voltaire
13th May 2008, 15:08
Similarly, I'd love to lend a hand with some text-work, though I'm pretty much clueless in webdesign, CSS and HTML code.

:thumbsup: But happy to help!

serene_chaos
13th May 2008, 15:34
yeah sure, i'm in too. same story as the other guys, though.

c37579
13th May 2008, 15:48
il help out if you need it, i can do html, css, a little javascript...

or if you found somebody for that i can help in some other way

must get unatco email adress....

*cough**cough*
anyway, just ask if you need anything

EDIT: sorry that might be a little decieving, i can do HTML pretty well, and i know a bit of CSS, enough to create a site... and besides i can easily pick up anything i dont know, as for javascript, its been a while since i learnt it, but i should be ok with it...

Ghostdog
13th May 2008, 16:40
I´d like to see something like an archive for all things Deus Ex. Not a classic fansite with actual reports ("hey everyone, looks like eidos just released some new pics. check them out below. super exciting") but just stuff posted.

Or maybe divide it into sections; and have one of them be the above mentioned "dump" and the other the ARG and fan fiction?

SageSavage
13th May 2008, 16:52
I´d like to see something like an archive for all things Deus Ex. Not a classic fansite with actual reports ("hey everyone, looks like eidos just released some new pics. check them out below. super exciting") but just stuff posted.

Or maybe divide it into sections; and have one of them be the above mentioned "dump" and the other the ARG and fan fiction?
You mean like the one maintained by DXAlpha (or is it?)? - http://download.deusexnetwork.com/index.php

AaronJ
13th May 2008, 17:05
Changed the site a bit with a nice little pic and some text. What do you guys think of that?

So we have had a few good ideas - a Deus Ex based ARG, a small Unatco site, a hacking game based in the DX universe. I want to hear back from the developers before i make any decisions; if they need/want it for marketing purposes its all theirs of course.

Do we have any writers in the forums who'd like to contribute in the event of making some kind of game? Or anyone who'd want to put in a bit of time for running / maintaining the site?

Cheers guys,

Maximus

Sounds amazing. I apologize for assuming you're an idiot. E-mail me with anything you need, I'll contribute any way possible.

Ghostdog
13th May 2008, 18:27
You mean like the one maintained by DXAlpha (or is it?)? - http://download.deusexnetwork.com/index.php Well something like that, only as a real site - not just some structure of folders.

SageSavage
13th May 2008, 18:59
Well, the only point I can see in any additional DX-archive is a reduced risk of data loss by downtimes. There are several linklists, like the one below, that point to the original hosts whenever possible. Usually you'll find descriptions and explanations on these sites:
- http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1042

Lovely

jordan_a
13th May 2008, 22:36
We'll find something appealing eventually.

serene_chaos
14th May 2008, 05:50
on the bus this morning i started writing a sort of 'opening message' that an organisation like UNATCO might have on their frontpage. ill post it when it's finished, maybe later tonight or something.

[doing what i can to get a unatco email address]

serene_chaos
14th May 2008, 11:50
ok, here we are.

United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition

• Protect Individuals
• Serve the Community
• Preserve Order

This agency was founded in the early 21st century, during a time when global threats were no longer enemy nations, but small, cell-network oriented terrorist organisations devoted, by varying motivations, to reducing the Western World to anarchy.

While governmental militaries and national guards took to locating and eliminating terrorist groups at their source, UNATCO was formed with the specific role of protecting the lives of civilians that may be placed in jeopardy.

As a subsidiary of the United Nations, UNATCO’s operations are generally restricted to peacekeeping, however we do intervene in other situations.

• protéger les individus
• Servir la Communauté
• maintenir l'ordre

Cet organisme a été fondé au début du 21e siècle, au cours d'une époque où les menaces globales ne sont plus les nations ennemies, mais petit, cellule-réseau axée sur les organisations terroristes consacré, par diverses motivations, * réduire le monde occidental * l'anarchie.

Alors que les armées gouvernementales et a pris garde nationale * localiser et éliminer les groupes terroristes * leur source, UNATCO a été créé avec le rôle spécifique de protéger la vie des civils qui mai être placés dans jeopardy.

Comme une filiale de l'Organisation des Nations Unies, UNATCO opérations sont généralement limitées * de maintien de la paix, mais nous ne intervenir dans d'autres situations.

•保护个人
•服务社会
•维护秩序

这个机构是成立于21世纪初,期间的时候,全球性的威胁已不再是敌人的国家,但小,细胞面向网络恐怖组织专门讨论,由不同的动机,以减少西方世界的无政府状态。

而政府军队和国民卫队了定位和消除恐怖集团在其来源, UNATCO 形成与特定的作用,保护平民的生命可能处于危险之中。

作为一个附属的联合国, UNATCO的业务一般只限于维持和平,但是我们不干预,在其他情况下。

I included French and Chinese google translations, but they should be in a smaller font. If anyone can read French or Chinese, they should check those translations, cause google isn't very good.

Current UNATCO operations
• Peacekeeping in the Middle East and Africa
• Damage control in terror-stricken regions (such as USA and France)
• Advanced Enforcement Units

UNATCO Affiliates
• United Nations
• Interpol
• FEMA
• US Dept. of Homeland Security
• US National Security Agency
• Paramilitary
The lists above I imagined in table cells either side of the page. they would be links to other pages detailing peacekeeping and damage control operations, and to all those organisations, though i'm not sure if linking to them without permission is legal.
I included the Department of Homeland Security and NSA because as much as i try to remember that UN stands for United Nations, i can't help but think of it as mainly American-based.
Also, Advanced Enforcement Units (referring to modified agents) and Paramilitary (referring to MJ12) would be links to a page that says:

CLASSIFIED
Uh-Oh!
You Seem To Have Exceeded Your Security Clearance.
Please Input Your Angel/OA Passcode To Proceed,
Otherwise Report Immediately To Your Supervisor.
[and a password form box with a submit button]
However if we're too lazy we can just not have a correct password.

Voltaire
14th May 2008, 15:43
Would a UNATCO site really mention involvement in France? Remember, the military presence in Paris was strictly MJ12, with the in-game explanation being that "MJ12 is strong enough [in Paris] to operate in the open". An overt link between UNATCO and MJ12 forces seems unlikely on a public medium.

But otherwise, looks good SC :thumbsup:

Nathan2000
15th May 2008, 08:22
I'd love to help.:D I can write text, I also know CSS and can do basic JavaScript/PHP programming.

Besides struggling terrorism, UNATCO copes with drug smuggling, money laundry and piracy. That's why they hated the Triads so much. You may want to include that in your introduction, serene_chaos. Anyway, good text.