PDA

View Full Version : I really need the devs to hear this music

Spaz
4th May 2008, 10:23
I heard Alan Oldham's enginefloatreactor album recently and it struck me as the perfect sound for Deus Ex 3. In particular, tracks like 'Drift', 'White Thighs and Feedback', 'Miss Sublissima' and 'La Cosa Nostra' scream cyberpunk.

Please have a listen here (http://ifile.it/wclm6ky) and urge the developers to consider hiring Alan to compose the score.

If not Alan, then I'm sure there are many Detroit techno artists who could be relied upon to produce authentically dark and dystopic pieces.

EDIT: The album was released in 1997.

Chemix
4th May 2008, 12:43
it's not bad music, though you have to remember that the music of DX was a small step up from the midi tracks of older games, some pieces were really good, though I don't think a hard techno approach is the way to go. Some techno, perhaps, but I don't think it should be entirely techno based.

After listening to a couple tracks, they're decent, though the background static noises don't help and get rather annoying, whereas those without it are a lot better, at least, to my ears that is. They're worth a recommendation, definitely, though again, I don't think a hard techno soundtrack thoughout the entire game would be suiting.

Spaz
4th May 2008, 14:18
it's not bad music, though you have to remember that the music of DX was a small step up from the midi tracks of older games, some pieces were really good, though I don't think a hard techno approach is the way to go. Some techno, perhaps, but I don't think it should be entirely techno based.

After listening to a couple tracks, they're decent, though the background static noises don't help and get rather annoying, whereas those without it are a lot better, at least, to my ears that is. They're worth a recommendation, definitely, though again, I don't think a hard techno soundtrack thoughout the entire game would be suiting.
Agree with your remarks re: hard techno. It would definitely not be suited towards a Deus Ex game. Although much of the stuff coming out of Detroit from the late 80s through to the mid 90s wasn't hard, it was actually quite melodic and soulful, yet melancholy. This album by Alan Oldham fuses Industrial with Techno so that's why there's a harsher sound.

Yeah... from listening again I really think it's only the last 3 tracks that really match the vibe of Deus Ex.

Maybe the harder stuff would be appropriate for combat sequences (since these are usually shorter)?

Anyway, I really hope this gets through to the producers... I'm not saying that they should use these pieces exactly since they're from 1997 but definitely look around and see what musicians like Carl Craig, Jeff Mills etc have to offer. Alan Oldham himself can quite easily be reached via myspace, his blogspot and his official website.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mWAc_b0mjWY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7MtaYVMbtqI

I should also mention that Jeff Mills re-scored Metropolis but the effort didn't receive much recognition.

minus0ne
4th May 2008, 15:23
I don't think this suits Deus Ex. I have many Jeff Mills records (LPs, including an uber-mint The Bells) but the Detroit sound is way too heavy to suit the atmosphere. I think they should go for a minimal* score, with some electro and ambient thrown in. *=minimal as in, the offshoot of electro.

They could always have a few heavier tracks for background music in places like bars and clubs though (assuming DX3 will have those).

Spaz
4th May 2008, 16:32
I don't think this suits Deus Ex. I have many Jeff Mills records (LPs, including an uber-mint The Bells) but the Detroit sound is way too heavy to suit the atmosphere.
RESPECT.

With that said, it sounds as though you have a lot of his dancefloor-oriented work as opposed his more recent minimal output? There's a lot of Detroit techno out there that is very deep and sparse.

I think they should go for a minimal* score, with some electro and ambient thrown in. *=minimal as in, the offshoot of electro.

They could always have a few heavier tracks for background music in places like bars and clubs though (assuming DX3 will have those).
Robert Hood's Minimal Nation? Could you please name some artists so I have a clearer idea of what sort of minimal you are referring to?

serene_chaos
4th May 2008, 23:27
I heard someone on gamespot forums suggest Autechre. that could be interesting. I mean, if they made something specifically for the game it could turn out pretty ok.
If you want more techno, perhaps someone like Juno Reactor? (with the world music influences) but i'd much prefer a more ambient soundtrack, i think.
Either way, i think licensed music almost always makes games better. IW introduced me to the KidneyThieves and i still listen to them... sometimes.

rhalibus
5th May 2008, 07:15
I liked the Carl Craig tune; the first part could definitely be in a DX level...

Tracer Tong
5th May 2008, 13:18
Still going on creating DEVS READ HERE posts? :mad2:

Spaz
6th May 2008, 10:12
I heard someone on gamespot forums suggest Autechre. that could be interesting. I mean, if they made something specifically for the game it could turn out pretty ok.
If you want more techno, perhaps someone like Juno Reactor? (with the world music influences) but i'd much prefer a more ambient soundtrack, i think.
Either way, i think licensed music almost always makes games better. IW introduced me to the KidneyThieves and i still listen to them... sometimes.
Autechre suck. You should hear some of the awful hardcore/gabba they were making back in the day. As for their newer IDM output, meh. Noisy and undanceable. Good on them for their experiments with form but it only registered with the Pitchfork crowd.

I don't think I want more "techno" in the form of a lame cheesecake sound like Juno Reactor's. It's because of dance-pop bands like them, the majority of people have no idea of what real techno sounds like.

What next, someone will suggest BT or Enigma? :lol:

Still going on creating DEVS READ HERE posts? :mad2:
Yeah OMG FFS. :mad2:
I know it's futile but I still cling to the hope that someone from the team will see this. I've only seen about one other post of this kind? diaf

serene_chaos
6th May 2008, 11:38
Autechre suck. You should hear some of the awful hardcore/gabba they were making back in the day. As for their newer IDM output, meh. Noisy and undanceable. Good on them for their experiments with form but it only registered with the Pitchfork crowd.

I don't think I want more "techno" in the form of a lame cheesecake sound like Juno Reactor's. It's because of dance-pop bands like them, the majority of people have no idea of what real techno sounds like.

What next, someone will suggest BT or Enigma? :lol:

Try not to come across so nasty when you post, dude.

Spaz
6th May 2008, 13:37
Try not to come across so nasty when you post, dude.
Heh, sorry.

You're in Adelaide, right? I suggest you check out DJ HMC, he's one of our best DJ/Producers. He's getting on a bit now though, don't think he comes out to play that often.