PDA

View Full Version : Moral Ambiguity

jcp28
2nd May 2008, 23:29
Well, I know I'm doing nothing to eliminate DX nostalgia, but here goes...:D

One of the things that I really liked about DX was the moral ambiguity of the NSF. I was 14 when I first played it, so I was unequipped with the first hand experience of "bad freedom-fighting groups" though I had book knowledge of liberation groups with questionable tactics.

And those NSF were something. They claimed to be all about liberating the people, yet when it cam to wanting something, they had no compulsion about bullying people like that bum near the basketball court and the mole people into doing what they wanted(the bum gets killed if you don't intervene). They even put a quasi-gangster Jojo Fine in charge of the vaccine supply, probably because he had knowledge of traditional drug distribution channelsin Hell's Kitchen.

At the same time, there were these people who believed what they were fighting for, or else didn't like some of the people in charge.
The same voice actor did the voices of these soft-spoken sounding older men. One of them was talking to his buddy behind some crates in Liberty Island. One of them was that guy that JC could interrogate at the same time Walton Simons first showed up at UNATCO to carry out his interrgation. Then there was this thug near the top of the statue that questioned the wisdom of having a punk like Jojo be in charge of vaccine distribution.

I think this shows at least in part what the NSF was like in DX1, but I would hope Eidos Montreal decided to reflect a similar complexity when they decide to do the NSF in DX3. I assume the game would feature them in a fairly significant way since this game will be a prequel.

HouseOfPain
4th May 2008, 16:52
Yeah, the NSF always felt very shaky, because their goal is true, but they go to dangerous lengths to achieve it. I always wondered why they would hire such punks like JoJo or the two people at he basketball court.

I was 8 when I first played, so, ha, I never knew what the **** was going on, but at 15 I completely understand the situation. Great thread.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: