PDA

View Full Version : Which platform would you play it on?

DXeXodus
30th Apr 2008, 08:26
Which platform would you be playing DX3 on assuming that it will be available on each of the above consoles?

Me personally, I am a die-hard PC fan so I will be playing it on PC (starting to save for my upgrade already - haha). But dont get me wrong.. I'm not here to spark a console bashing war.. I'm just interested to see which one is more favoured among the DX fans.

Blade_hunter
30th Apr 2008, 11:10
PC of course ;) consoles break this game ...

DXeXodus
30th Apr 2008, 11:18
Ah, we must be careful of what we say to the console peoples or this will become the land of rants and platform bashing. I'm all for this game being on all platforms, so long as my PC version remains unnaffected by this. If they can do a good job and have it on multiple consoles then I am happy.

Deadelus
30th Apr 2008, 11:24
PCs for life. I dont have a PS3 or 360.. To me, my old Sega Genesis is teh sheet as far as non-pc gaming. But then again, I almost hate Sony, and I'm sure as heck not gonna support the Communists that are so called 'Microsoft'.

DXeXodus
30th Apr 2008, 11:39
Aah, the PC gets out of the blocks with a considerable 7 - 0 - 0 lead over the consoles... :rasp:

Blade_hunter
30th Apr 2008, 11:48
If the game is madded for Windows, Linux and mac that is better port than use the consoles.
If they made a console, they must make the port more later, but I don't want a simple gameplay a la DX 2, I want a more enhanced DX1 gameplay

DXeXodus
30th Apr 2008, 12:03
They can make a complex game on a console. After reading through alot of console wars I have come to believe that. Alot of the dumbing down of DX2 wasn't console related, but rather engine related. That, and a combination of some terrible design decisions. As I said before, bring it to consoles too by all means, but make sure it is true to the original and is a complex and engaging game that makes the fans happy.

@Blade_hunter: A friendly note that one says 'made' and not 'madded'. I have noticed you using 'madded' on many occasions on other threads. :)

Gary_Savage
30th Apr 2008, 13:29
I'd go for the PC. If they make a GNU/Linux version later (also on the PC), then that would be great, too (they did that for DX1).

I like the PC because of the kind of control that it gives, like typing in alphanumeric computer related codes (like logins and passwords), and the easy and quick access to inventory, health, skills and augs screens, along with the ease of quickly toggling the use of any particular aug (the way it was done in DX1). I'm not sure how such versatility could be kept with a console controller; but then again, I haven't really played on consoles kindergarten.

Another thing, if I play on a PC, then I can actually see an improvement in the game's performance, if I have the good fortune of upgrading certain parts of my hardware or software, just like upgrading skills and augs shows improvements in the player character's abilities. I like to have that upgradability as an option.

Larington
30th Apr 2008, 18:47
Heh - 14/0/0...

Of course PC has an advantage here, since PCs are built as a multi-purpose tool that are just as capable accessing the Internet as playing games. I doubt many people spend many hours a day browsing Internet on a console, unless they don't have a choice in the matter.

And just as I type that, it switches to 14/1/0 - lawls.

GruntOwner
30th Apr 2008, 19:45
Consoles are not for DX, they are for gears and other such less sophisticated games. I'm not saying that consoles are bad, gears is a very good game if you want to run a little curcuit mutilating everything in your preset path (guilty), but DX does not belong on a console.

Freddo
30th Apr 2008, 22:27
PC. I don't even have any 360 or PS3 (yet), although my PS2 is still used quite a bit and I bought a new game for it just a few days ago.

They can make a complex game on a console.
Indeed they can. IW was a badly designed game (compared to the first game), and I don't think Xbox is much to blame for it. Even if the tiny levels probably are the fault of Xbox, but the current consoles are capable of so much larger areas without any problems.

jcp28
30th Apr 2008, 22:35
Probably PS3 . I don't have the money to be buying a tricked-out video card that probably costs as much as a system, otherwise I'd be getting the PC version too.

I actually originally played Deus Ex on PS2, and it wasn't dumbed-down at all. One little area in that building where you send the message to Hong Kong in New York was changed from something I've read, but otherwise it was good enough to be on my 10 best games ever list.

MaxxQ1
1st May 2008, 03:37
PC. If I went with a console, first I'd have to actually buy a TV (no, I don't have one), then the console, then spend the next few years figuring out how to use the damn controller. Just gimme a mouse and keyboard and I'm happy.

minus0ne
1st May 2008, 05:41
Probably PS3 . I don't have the money to be buying a tricked-out video card that probably costs as much as a system, otherwise I'd be getting the PC version too.
Contrary to what many people believe, there are always excellent videocards in the upper mid-range segment (say ~150€ on average), which when overclocked perform just as well or better than their bigger siblings. Such a card would last you years, and always offer more bang for your buck than the top range gfx cards. You don't need quad 500€ videocards to play a game. The same goes for CPUs (with the prices even being the same as above).

I actually originally played Deus Ex on PS2, and it wasn't dumbed-down at all. One little area in that building where you send the message to Hong Kong in New York was changed from something I've read, but otherwise it was good enough to be on my 10 best games ever list.
And the PS2 version has pre-rendered cutscenes, too, though I've not seen them and some people dislike them.

GruntOwner
1st May 2008, 15:13
If it's released on a console foremost, then the modding community will die and all add ons will be a case of "Can Eidos be bothered?" and would cost money. PC mods are much easier to implemant as most people can learn how to install a PC mod in a few seconds. If there are mods there is replayability after the 100th runthrough, and generally more variety in what to get. Mass effect was a great game for the 360, though the only add on is a few hours long, costs 800 points and is the only available option until the PC version comes out. PCs will make mods good, and if you don't think of that as a redeeming quality, I suggest you look into gary's mod or even just counter strike.

Blade_hunter
1st May 2008, 16:33
For me the main problem is when a society make a game for consoles they make most of times a simple game when I look to DX 2 because they make the game for the Xbox, the gameplay was butchered instead of the first game, we have only more control on the story than the previous game ... DX 2 keeps the cyberpunk universe, but the gameplay of the first game was simplified

FPS part

one ammo
only sniper rifle can make headshots
less weapon customization
most ammo types are now weapon mods, and most weapon mods are useless on certain weapons
some weapon mods disappeared because the aim system makes them useless or the weapon can't change it's main function ...
no realoads
simplified aim like some old games ....
huge HUD

new good things

secondary fire
mods like damage amp, refire rate
some interesting weapons ...

RPG part
Less biomods slots 6 instead of 10
Some skills are now biomods .... neural interface = computer skill :/
Some biomods are disappeared because with the new system they became useless or the environment makes them useless ....
No skills, no experience points
FPS inventory one item = one slot; like an FPS inventory ...

new good things

Some biomods are passive and be used automatically
Some interesting biomods like the bot domination or the biotox drone
The fact you can change your biomods to place an other ...
The control on the story ....

Exploration part
Tiny levels
We don't need to search the alternate way because most of times they are on front of us ....
The bad impression to be closed even on the outdoors ...

I can't explain this when we wait for a game that can have a more enhanced gameplay than the previous game, this kind of things make frustration compared to the first game, perhaps I will love the sequel if I never know DX 1 or similar games before DX 2 ...

I prefer to save the gameplay and allows a more enhanced gameplay they must make a PC game eventually MAC/Linux and make after a console port
And the modding community can makes mods like the first game, DX 2 have only a new texture pack ....
DX 1 have the same plus some mods.

HouseOfPain
1st May 2008, 19:14
My thing is, I will probably end up playing it on P.Ç. but I don't even come close to a rig good enough for it. I own an Xbox 360, and i've been thinking, if they add some of the DX1 log ins (having to type in passwords and pin numbers and such) it should stay THE SAME as DX1. To avoid the pain of using a controller to type, I suggest making the game USB-Keyboard friendly. Right?:)

I just dont have the rig for the P.C.

but I do have a 360.

Keep me in mind Eidos!

EDIT: Keep all us console go-ers in mind. I would love to play it on P.C. thats my preferred DX machine. I just dont have the thousand or so dollars to mod it up to where it will even slightly play it at 50% graphics.

The 360 is just right for me, so keep us ALL in mind when making this game. I would even sacrifice my DX time to say make a PC version first, then make an equally good, but maybe slightly different (in HUD or something) 360/PS3 version. This better be the best game ever!

DXeXodus
5th May 2008, 04:09
29/2/1/1 is quite an amazing win so far IMO.

Wonder what the 'other' platform voted for was? PSP maybe?

Oh well, atleast now Eidos can know that it is clear as to who they should try please. Make a great PC game then port it to console. Consoles are more than capable now of playing complex games so a direct port with afew console optimizations should be satisfactory.

SomaMech
5th May 2008, 13:36
Deus Ex is, was and always will be home on the PC.

jordan_a
5th May 2008, 14:09
I just have a decent laptop and a PS3 for films (blu-rays) since I don't really play anymore.

In 2009, when the game is released, I guess I'll just have my PS3.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure we'll be given the same game whatever the platform.

And when you see what consoles are technically capable of today (play GTA IV), and imagine what the PS3 will be able to provide in 2009, there's no reason to worry about graphics for DX3.

Still,
Deus Ex is, was and always will be home on the PC.

AaronJ
5th May 2008, 18:08
PC or nothing. Deus Ex is a PC series. That cannot change.

jordan_a
5th May 2008, 20:58
I'm sorry my friend but things have changed.

DXeXodus
6th May 2008, 04:28
I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure we'll be given the same game whatever the platform.

I really hope that you are right.... And that if that is the case I hope that the XBOX and PS3 versions are just as good as the PC version and not vice versa if you know what I mean.

jordan_a
6th May 2008, 10:23
Graphics will be the same I'm sure since consoles can be really impressive.

But if the developers are wise and understand the needs of the players, they will create a specific HUD and interface for PC: this will be the only difference between the versions.

B0b_P@ge
6th May 2008, 14:07
2 Votes for XBOX 360 and 2 votes for Playstation 3?!!! ... Are you people MAD? Have you not played Deus Ex: Invisible War?!?! :eek:

Voltaire
6th May 2008, 14:11
I'll be playing on PC, but Xbox360 wouldn't really butcher the game, as it is claimed Xbox1 did. Remember, if the 360 can support huge games like Halo3 (not a comparison, at all) then why would it be such a problem if it were to have a DX3 port?

SomaMech
6th May 2008, 15:14
I'll be playing on PC, but Xbox360 wouldn't really butcher the game, as it is claimed Xbox1 did. Remember, if the 360 can support huge games like Halo3 (not a comparison, at all) then why would it be such a problem if it were to have a DX3 port?

The game would still be designed around the relatively slow-paced control system of the Xbox360. Until the Xbox360's primary control system is a keyboard and mouse, there will always be a problem with porting DX3 to PC.

minus0ne
6th May 2008, 17:11
Well let's take an IW horror and extend it to DX3: Level size. Large maps require a lot of textures (hi-res, preferably), which require a lot of memory.

Assuming DX3 is released Q1 2010 (really Q4 2009, but let's be realistic here) that means that the entry level PC graphics card will have at least 512MB video memory, equal to the 360's video memory, and double that of PS3's 256MB(!).

So this means that the developers will be limited to 512MB of textures (and their maps) for every level/map segment of the game. By the time this game comes out, upper-mid segment PC graphics cards will probably feature around 1GB to 2GB of memory or more, at any rate, substantially more than either 360 or PS3. Before anyone tries to tell me that consoles use their resources more efficiently than a PC; consider that on both PCs and consoles, a texture is a texture, taking up the exact same amount of space, regardless of memory throughput (which, again, will be far greater on PCs).

Unless of course, they make two distinctly different versions for console and PC; the console version having more load screens while the PC version just combined several map segments into one load-free area, which is probably a pain in the ass to do.

I haven't played Halo3 and never will (thank god), but from what I remember from the first two games, level sizes were average at best, and they were able to achieve this size due to using as few textures as possible and re-using them as much as possible (which is why Halo's environments are so bland and generic). This is the complete opposite of what a DX3 gameworld should look like, where there should be a lot of detail packed into every space, regardless of how big the levels will be. So while PC's by then will easily allow both very large environments AND immense texture detail due to the increase in PC power, this will probably be a lot harder for any console game to achieve.

I just hope they primarily develop this with the PC in mind, and THEN decide how to port it to consoles.

jordan_a
6th May 2008, 17:24
Unless of course, they make two distinctly different versions for console and PC; the console version having more load screens while the PC version just combined several map segments into one load-free area.
That's what we all want I assume.

I haven't played Halo3 and never will (thank god), but from what I remember from the first two games, level sizes were average at best, and they were able to achieve this size due to using as few textures as possible and re-using them as much as possible (which is why Halo's environments are so bland and generic). This is the complete opposite of what a DX3 gameworld should look like, where there should be a lot of detail packed into every space, regardless of how big the levels will be.
Yet GTA IV is very detailed.

minus0ne
6th May 2008, 17:47
That's what we all want I assume.
Here's hoping, although I doubt it can be done, pragmatically or from a PR point of view.

Yet GTA IV is very detailed.
Not exactly. Character models are quite ugly (reminiscent more of 5 year old PC games than recent games such as Mass Effect or even HL2 or the older VTMB running the HL2 engine as well) and as soon as you get up close you'll notice just how undetailed the textures and models are. At any rate, it's irrelevant since GTA IV employs seamless loading (much like Oblivion), which is something the CD engine doesn't do to my knowledge (I'd love to be proven wrong there).

Luckily GTA IV is only semi-dependant on its graphics, much more so on gameplay.

bsel
7th May 2008, 01:25
I'll play it on PC, but only the GNU/Linux version ;)

I don't think there will be a version for the platform of my choice, but i have a spark of hope. :nut:
I loved to play DX1. There was also a port for GNU/Linux made by Loki but it was not released I think.

gamer0004
7th May 2008, 15:27
Here's hoping, although I doubt it can be done, pragmatically or from a PR point of view.

Not exactly. Character models are quite ugly (reminiscent more of 5 year old PC games than recent games such as Mass Effect or even HL2 or the older VTMB running the HL2 engine as well) and as soon as you get up close you'll notice just how undetailed the textures and models are. At any rate, it's irrelevant since GTA IV employs seamless loading (much like Oblivion), which is something the CD engine doesn't do to my knowledge (I'd love to be proven wrong there).

Luckily GTA IV is only semi-dependant on its graphics, much more so on gameplay.

The CD engine does support that, I believe. Not sure where I read it though.

foxberg
7th May 2008, 18:51
Mac, xBox 360 (they say it's gonna come out with BlueRay HD)

Blade_hunter
7th May 2008, 21:54
The problem of the consoles is the controls, I'm not against console, but the game must be developped for PC's first (Mac, Linux, Windows, or what ever) and afeter be ported to consoles, I think it's the best compromise, and DX 1 was the best game of DX series; right ?
It's made for PC's first and it be ported to the PS2 after.

I think DX 3 must pursue the same way as DX 1 even if they do a windows version first and after for the other OS, and after the consoles like the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

DXeXodus
8th May 2008, 04:14
The problem of the consoles is the controls, I'm not against console, but the game must be developped for PC's first (Mac, Linux, Windows, or what ever) and afeter be ported to consoles, I think it's the best compromise, and DX 1 was the best game of DX series; right ?

I think DX 3 must pursue the same way as DX 1 even if they do a windows version first and after for the other OS, and after the consoles like the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

I agree completely. It is essential that they make this for the PC first... with more complex (but intuitive) UI's and control schemes etc... then port it to console.

Hrunga Zmuda
9th May 2008, 01:27
Which platform would you be playing DX3 on assuming that it will be available on each of the above consoles?

Me personally, I am a die-hard PC fan so I will be playing it on PC (starting to save for my upgrade already - haha). But dont get me wrong.. I'm not here to spark a console bashing war.. I'm just interested to see which one is more favoured among the DX fans.

You should at least make it PC and Mac. Work with Aspyr and you'll be able to sell a boatload of them to Mac users. With my Mac Pro I'd be able to play this game just fine!

I played the Mac version of Deus Ex, and it's the best game I've ever played. So please, consider the success of ID on Mac as well as the Unreal games. They do just fine, make lots of money, and of course I'd probably buy Windows and set up boot camp so I could play anyway, just to get this game going. Or at least consider CIDER which allows PC games to run natively in OS X. But best of all, please make it OS X compatible. With 7 percent of the market and growing, plus about 15 percent of the laptop market, this platform is very viable.

Linux too!:D

SomaMech
9th May 2008, 14:20

100% Agree. If they created a console game and ported it to PC (Very rarely known to be successful), they can't expect to have their game in any 'Best games ever' lists. Look at Half-Life 2! Fantastically well-running game and potential for massive amounts of detail. I had no issues with the UI and no issues with poorly designed maps. The game was ported to consoles (Not the other way round) and it is constantly being named as one of the top games of all time.

Voltaire
9th May 2008, 14:34
100% Agree. If they created a console game and ported it to PC (Very rarely known to be successful), they can't expect to have their game in any 'Best games ever' lists...

This should not be their incentive. At all. Halo tops plenty of these lists, but few people who have played DX and enjoyed it like it was meant to be would not prefer such blockbusting shelf-fillers like the Master-Chief's debut series.

And a port from PC to PS2 is not realistic for a company that wants to make money. The only compromise I see here is a PC release, followed shortly by 360 and PS3 (pleeease not wii) ports

SomaMech
11th May 2008, 15:22
And a port from PC to PS2 is not realistic for a company that wants to make money.

I'm well aware of this... :rolleyes:

But it doesn't change the fact that the greatest game of all time ported from PC to PS2!

O.m.a.r
11th May 2008, 15:27
My fear is that it wont run on my freaking Computer. Thats why I think thatmaybe they should make the PC verison first, Then afterwards put in on the 360 and ps3.

Fen
11th May 2008, 15:46
I dont care if they port it to the sega saturn, just as long as the PC is the primary concern.

A plague on PC games at the moment is that they are all designed for consoles. So you end up with extremely unintuitive and very basic control systems.

I always get annoyed when playing a game that one of my keys does multiple actions when it would have been much smarter to put it onto another key. Due to the consoles having limted buttons however, we end up getting stuck with the E key being responsible for 4 different actions.

Necros
11th May 2008, 16:22
PC wins, like in this poll. :D It has to be the lead platform and we'll see a good sequel/prequel/whatever. :)

Voltaire
11th May 2008, 16:25
I dont care if they port it to the sega saturn, just as long as the PC is the primary concern.

A plague on PC games at the moment is that they are all designed for consoles. So you end up with extremely unintuitive and very basic control systems.

I always get annoyed when playing a game that one of my keys does multiple actions when it would have been much smarter to put it onto another key. Due to the consoles having limted buttons however, we end up getting stuck with the E key being responsible for 4 different actions.

This is why on Halo for PC (I play it ok?! Does that make me such a bad person?!) the "E" button is for actions, weapon pickups and reloading. It really sucks when you want to make a quick getaway in a jeep and you end up grabbing a crummy raygun off the floor instead...

CoryInJapan
18th May 2008, 18:57
PC allllll the way dude.

Consoles suck for these kinda games.

minus0ne
18th May 2008, 19:24
Apparently PCs are too inferior to play the new mighty god-like LucasArts games, according to this douchebag working on TFU:
http://www.nzgamer.com/ps2/features/627/the-force-unleashed-interview-with-dan-wasson.html

NZGamer: PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, PSP and DS... But no PC? There's been a bit of backlash regarding this decision, care to clarify it?
Dan: For us, ultimately it was... technologies like Pixelux, DMM (Digital Molecular Matter) and Euphoria are so processor intensive and powerful that the kind of machine you'd need to run them is not the kind of machine most people are going to have. It's such an advanced spec that we feel we really needed to do it justice. If we pulled that stuff out and delivered a sub-par experience...

We also felt that was a wrong approach as people are going to miss out on this. We didn't want to do it [the PC version] half-way. Every platform is getting a great game and they should all be able to stand-alone; we didn't want to deliver a sub-par experience for PC gamers.
Obviously, the Nintendo DS and Wii have hugely superior hardware to PCs. It just can't be done... Bwhahahaha :p

DXeXodus
19th May 2008, 04:52
I was thinking the same thing. It makes absoloutely no sense at all.

v.dog
19th May 2008, 10:18
If you bought that, I have a bridge to sell you.

JulianP
19th May 2008, 15:30
That was a pretty ridiculous statement from LucasArts. I do hope that people have the sense not to buy that crap. A quote from Valve, just to make LucasArts look all the more silly:"If it runs well on console, it’s easy to make it run well on PC." And I trust that the people at Valve know what they're talking about.

As for the actual topic: PC. Obviously.

DXeXodus
20th May 2008, 04:13
A quote from Valve, just to make LucasArts look all the more silly:"If it runs well on console, it’s easy to make it run well on PC." And I trust that the people at Valve know what they're talking about.

So true. And I also trust the boys (and girls :) ) at Valve. It is outrageous to make a statement (Lucas arts) like that as it only discredits themselves.

rhalibus
20th May 2008, 06:47
I also agree--The XBox 360 and PS3 have only 512 meg of RAM, whereas my new mid-range PC sports 3 gig of RAM with a quad cpu and an NVidia 8800 GT graphics card--on a relatively cheap box that's already becoming a year old. What kind of crappy PCs do they think gamers have if they still want to port it to the Wii and PSP? Sinclairs? Amigas? Radio Shack TRS-80s? *beep* *boop* *bip*

Jeez.

minus0ne
20th May 2008, 16:53
I was thinking the same thing. It makes absoloutely no sense at all.
Not even business sense :p LucasArts lost their magic a looooong time ago though (well, in gaming history terms, a decade is a long time) so we can hardly blame them for being all Lucas-turned-Spielberg.

By the time TFU is released, the *average* gaming PC is twice as powerful as a 360 or PS3, and high-end systems could easily run laps around their console cousins.

DXeXodus
21st May 2008, 04:33
Exactly! So now why can no one give a proper explanation to me as to why the PC owners are being left out. And dont even try flogging the piracy horse! ****

Zedux
26th May 2008, 09:46
i hope the ps3 version wont be a port or somethin horrible! ps3 can take the best out of this game!!

DXeXodus
26th May 2008, 12:26
How could the PS3 get more out of this than even a mid-range PC? The PC has it beat on all ends. You do realise that you are 1 of the 3 people here that actually say they will play this game on the PS3 (assuming that you voted in the poll)

No offense meant here BTW :)

Blade_hunter
26th May 2008, 12:46
Most of times a PC port to a console isn't so bad as the console port to a PC, DX 1 is a console port and it's stay a great game, but the main problem is i thrust the critics for this, i never play the console version, I only play the PC version, with the patches.

sea
26th May 2008, 14:12
Although I'd love it if Deus Ex 3 was developed primarily for the PC without concessions made for consoles, I know it's not realistically going to happen. Consoles are too big a market segment to ignore; furthermore, since Eidos Montreal is devoted to using "exclusively next-gen technology," if they made a PC exclusive and wanted it to sell more than 200,000 copies, they'd have to target more than just the high-end market segment. In otherwords, it doesn't seem feasible simply due to what the company lists as their project goals.

I should also note that, despite the fact that the poll shows that almost everyone here wants to play Deus Ex 3 on the PC, most of the people on this forum are old Deus Ex fans. Since Deus Ex has received very little exposure to console players, it's only natural that, especially this early on in development, there won't be any console fans around to vote.

Mactypetim
27th May 2008, 05:35
I played DX 1 on a mac back in the day, and I own a 360 with xbox live, and a PC now (along with the mac).

I wouldn't mind playing DX 3 on any of those platforms as long as there were full updates for them when needed.

J.CDenton
27th May 2008, 09:26
PC definitively. Just because there may be Mods for that game. And FPS fits better with a computer from my point of view.

JulianP
27th May 2008, 15:26
Although I'd love it if Deus Ex 3 was developed primarily for the PC without concessions made for consoles, I know it's not realistically going to happen. Consoles are too big a market segment to ignore; furthermore, since Eidos Montreal is devoted to using "exclusively next-gen technology," if they made a PC exclusive and wanted it to sell more than 200,000 copies, they'd have to target more than just the high-end market segment. In otherwords, it doesn't seem feasible simply due to what the company lists as their project goals.
Yeah. Especially now that Eidos is having financial difficulties, they're definetely going for as large an audience as possible.

mlowry
27th May 2008, 15:33
Mac OS X on Intel

dxfan94
28th May 2008, 22:10
I have a 360. its more accesible for me. in like i can buy a game for my 360 and it be ok. but my cheap parents refuse to get a new comp. its a dell from 2001. and they wont let me have games on it. I know i sucks. i'd love to be able to enter cheat codes into it with the 360 keyboard or with an onscreen keyboard to let us do what PC's players are doing.

Jerion
28th May 2008, 23:07
I'd like to see both a PC version and a mac version. I first got to play DX 1 on a mac back in the day. Considering that transgaming's Cider tech has become very mature, it would be very, very easy to create a stable port of the PC version and release it for the Mac.

So yeah. PC + Mac. Consoles be damned.:D

Bloodwolf806
29th Jan 2009, 23:40
Xbox 360. Ease, achievements, controller, comfort baby.

EDIT: And those hoping for a pc-centered game with console ports is simply dreaming. Comparing sales figures, Eidos wouldn't want to water down the version that consumers are most likely to buy. (X360). Even if Deus Ex did sell better on PC, the 360 crowd has the highest attachment rate, and so that's where the sells are. I can assure you it's under simultaneous development for PC, 360, and PS3.

And Fallout 3 shows that you can have a fairly complex game work beautifully on a console.

Corpse_Maker
30th Jan 2009, 00:12
Will give my vote for PS3. But will purchase two copies, one for PS3 and one for PC.

PC because I'm a PC gamer, and well just because i can play the game at the highest settings, with all of the eye candy :rasp:

PS3 because sometimes i like to play games on the big screen comfe on my couch. AND because Deus Ex is my favorite game, therefore i have to have it for PS3, like i have Deus Ex: The Conspiracy and Project: SnowBlind. ummm 1080p on 46' Bravia :nut:

rynn taylor
30th Jan 2009, 00:52
PC all the way for me. I have been a long time PC user and only bought a 360 last year. There are some games that I prefer playing on the 360 (eg sports games) and some that I prefer playing on the PC (eg fps/rpgs). A lot of the reasons why I would choose one platform over another have already been mentioned (eg mods).

Whatever platform/s EM decides to release DX3 on, my fingers are crossed that they release a special edition :)

GmanPro
30th Jan 2009, 01:32
PC duh.

I could start listing reasons why I prefer PC over console, but I'm sure everyone has already heard it all before.

acce245
30th Jan 2009, 01:49
Everyone here is complaining about how games designed for consoles don't play out well. And I agree that, if a game is designed for the 360, and it is not improved upon, it will simply be a 360 port. However, such is not the case with the PS3. The PS3 is much closer to a 'PC' than most people realize. With the advent of Blu-Ray, as well as the immense processing capabilities of the PS3, it would be ideal for the starting system.

Not only can a blu-ray store 50gb of information (try that with conventional or HD-DVD even, or your PC optical drive-and to make that blu-ray will be another 150 easy), but the PS3 is one of the few systems that can (currently) efficiently use it. Remember also, that the PS3 is not the 360, or the Wii. The PS3 includes a free web browser (which the 360 doesn't, and the Wii charges for), Blu-Ray comes standard (360 has no hi-def optical standard, and the Wii is a souped-up version of the Gamecube), not to mention the Cell processor.

The PS3 supports in-game keyboarding (for menus, keypads, et cetera; the 360 may also), and the PS3 allows for free online play (much like PCs!). The PC might be the best choice, if they also do a Linux (preferably Debian/Ubuntu) release.

The PC is tied for first in the options, but I would recommend against strictly going for it in favor of developing on both PC/PS3. The 360 is already outdated technology for this kind of thing. Being that I have played between the 360 and the PS3 on a few games, the differences can be striking (both in quality, layout, and other factors). Also, the PS3 has motion sensing, if they would just put it to good use (instead of Bowling games like the Wii has...)...

Also, having played DX on both PS2 and PC, the PS2 version wasn't that bad (given the technology). Sure, the graphics were reduced for the ps2, and a few things were changed, but it used the tech it had. As long as we don't have ourselves another Invisible War, we should be fine. Tune the game to the system, but keep them as consistent as possible. True, a keyboard and mouse are slightly more fun, but a well-laid control can be equally (if not more) effective. Also, the pressure sensitive buttons on the ps3 give other options as well.

acce245
30th Jan 2009, 01:53
Xbox 360. Ease, achievements, controller, comfort baby.

And Fallout 3 shows that you can have a fairly complex game work beautifully on a console.

Not sure what you mean by 'Ease.' PS3 has Trophies, which are exactly the same as the achievements. Controller is a matter of preference (I like the way both analog sticks are in the centre of the controller on the ps/ps2/ps3 personally, and the trigger grips add a nice sense of comfort as well). 'Comfort' is a bit ambiguous as well.

But Fallout 3 is awesome, and I did notice shorter load times on the ps3 version...

acce245
30th Jan 2009, 01:56
Not even business sense :p LucasArts lost their magic a looooong time ago though (well, in gaming history terms, a decade is a long time).

Would love to see 'The Dig' come back, maybe 'Return to The Dig?'

MattColes
30th Jan 2009, 03:00
PC and 360, i need two copies lol

GmanPro
30th Jan 2009, 05:07
Lol, EM should make a crazy looking 'special edition' copy. With exclusive behind the scenes footage, and a real-life augmentation canister.

Jerion
30th Jan 2009, 05:25
I will play this on PC. Mac if it is released for that platform, but right now I'm planning for PC.

Frraksurred
30th Jan 2009, 06:22
What do you mean what platform? Is there any other platform BUT the PC?

:rasp:

Sorry had to do it. :whistle:

ilweran
30th Jan 2009, 09:58
If we can afford a new PC we'll get a new PC to play this. If we can't, it'll have to be on the 360 :hmm:

Which would probably be ok. I played IW twice on xbox, and bought it on PC a couple of months ago cheap so I can play it again without having find space under the tv for another console.

Bloodwolf806
30th Jan 2009, 17:25
Not sure what you mean by 'Ease.' PS3 has Trophies, which are exactly the same as the achievements. Controller is a matter of preference (I like the way both analog sticks are in the centre of the controller on the ps/ps2/ps3 personally, and the trigger grips add a nice sense of comfort as well). 'Comfort' is a bit ambiguous as well.

But Fallout 3 is awesome, and I did notice shorter load times on the ps3 version...

I wasn't stating that the Xbox 360 was in any way better than the PS3. I simply stated what I preferred. I like the controller, I'm an achievement whore, and I get to chill on my recliner while I play.

And if we're gonna play that game, we get Fallout 3 DLC that you don't.:D :p

Everyone here is complaining about how games designed for consoles don't play out well. And I agree that, if a game is designed for the 360, and it is not improved upon, it will simply be a 360 port. However, such is not the case with the PS3. The PS3 is much closer to a 'PC' than most people realize. With the advent of Blu-Ray, as well as the immense processing capabilities of the PS3, it would be ideal for the starting system.

...You are kidding right? THE PS3 has been called a pain in the a** to develop for or port for. I'm expecting simultaneous development for each platform it's released on, but if there is a lead platform it's definitely PC. It'd be easy as pie to port from PC to 360, and fairly easy to port it to PS3. Porting from PS3 to 360 or PC would be a pain due to the PS3's architecture. The 360 and PC's architecture is almost exactly alike, while the PS3's is fairly different. That would result in frame rate drops, texture pop-ins, etc for the other versions.

Anachronos
31st Jan 2009, 00:09
Definately on the PC. I plan a system upgrade in Q4 2009 so that my PC will definately be able to play DX3 with all bells and whistles. :)

Tracer Bong
1st Feb 2009, 03:05
Xbox or PS3.

I'll wait for the player reviews for both and see which is the least buggy and has the fewest problems.

WhatsHisFace
1st Feb 2009, 16:15
If the game is good, both Xbox360 and PC.

Xbox360 to show to my friends, flaunt it over Live and get some achievements.

PC for Steam's convenience, (probably) better user interface (customizable no doubt) and the benefit of lightning fast load times when I play it ten years in the future on my 4th PC from now.

If the game is mediocre...

I'll just get it on the 360 for achievements.

If the game sucks...

I'll just get whatever great game is out there at the time of release.

Blade_hunter
1st Feb 2009, 16:22
The game will be released in the PC platform first, this is what René said, after that the other platforms comes after, the Crystal dynamics engine is made for both platforms, I think the console versions will come shortly after the PC version ...

WhatsHisFace
1st Feb 2009, 16:28
The game will be released in the PC platform first, this is what René said, after that the other platforms comes after, the Crystal dynamics engine is made for both platforms, I think the console versions will come shortly after the PC version ...

I'm fairly certain that the game is being developed for PC first, and then ported to consoles well before the bug-crunch/polish stage by smaller in-house teams. I'm certain there will be a simultaneous release for all version.

Behindyounow
1st Feb 2009, 17:43
360, just so I can avoid the chance of buying it for my pc and it not working.
Where I live you can only return things if they are still in their packaging, and you cant even trade in PC games for store credit...

So I'd rather stick with something I know it'll work on. Modding isn't all that important to me.

PugPug
2nd Feb 2009, 00:05
I partially blame consoles for screwing up DX2.

Why are console games designed for dumb people, anyway? I can't believe console gamers are actually dumber (or want simpler games, if you prefer). It has to be a stereotype.

But still, I want DX3 to make its developers a pile of money to swim in, because they deserve it. So if they can put it on consoles as well as the PC without screwing it up, I'm all for it.

WhatsHisFace
2nd Feb 2009, 00:28
I partially blame consoles for screwing up DX2.

Why are console games designed for dumb people, anyway? I can't believe console gamers are actually dumber (or want simpler games, if you prefer). It has to be a stereotype.

But still, I want DX3 to make its developers a pile of money to swim in, because they deserve it. So if they can put it on consoles as well as the PC without screwing it up, I'm all for it.

DX2 was going to be screwed up anyway.

Deus Ex Postmortem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWvsGA77T4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o31W_E73_U

AsukaoYl
2nd Feb 2009, 00:31
Pc for sure, probably buy it for the PS3 as well.

I have all platforms but Deus Ex belongs on my PC and i prefer my PS3 over 360 so ya...

PugPug
2nd Feb 2009, 23:51
DX2 was going to be screwed up anyway.

Deus Ex Postmortem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWvsGA77T4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o31W_E73_U

So is your point that some of the greatest aspects of DX1, they stumbled into at the last moment?

I guess I don't really get it. What did that have to do with DX2?

WhatsHisFace
3rd Feb 2009, 01:40
So is your point that some of the greatest aspects of DX1, they stumbled into at the last moment?

I guess I don't really get it. What did that have to do with DX2?

That the watering-down/streamline ideas had nothing to do with making the game with a console in mind. Why don't you watch the videos and listen to what Randy says.

Romeo
3rd Feb 2009, 07:07
I'm going to retract my previous statement of "360", and change it to "360, if the PC version doesn't ship with a mod kit."

=)

GmanPro
3rd Feb 2009, 08:03
Here is Christian Bale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w09rqkY0hbg) after he just found out that Deus Ex 3 doesn't come with an SDK ...

Jerion
3rd Feb 2009, 08:09
^^ :lol: :lol:

That would probably resemble this forum if it didn't come with a SDK!

PugPug
3rd Feb 2009, 16:36
That the watering-down/streamline ideas had nothing to do with making the game with a console in mind. Why don't you watch the videos and listen to what Randy says.

I watched every last second of each of them before my earlier post. They have nothing to do with DX2. I believe it was mentioned in passing once. There isn't even anyone named Randy in either of them.

gargar
3rd Feb 2009, 17:31
i'm going with pc, as i don't have any kind of consoles apart from a DS.

but there simply MUST be at least an xbox version of the game. today consoles are the key for high sales. the days of none multiplayer games selling millions on the pc were over when everyone got a broadband. too many people simply doesnload the games and obviously, pc games are much easier to pirate then consoles. Steam may make it harder. but it's still very much possible.

look at great game like the Witcher. barely selling a million and this is with sales from sells of both the original release and the special version which came a year after.

this game MUST have a console version. but one which won't cripple the pc one.

Ushae
3rd Feb 2009, 22:44
If the developers do it right it won't matter too much. Fallout 3 is great example of this. The PC version clearly triumphed (mouse and keyboard win again :D ) over it's xbox and PS3 counterparts, especially considering the game had a simlutaneous release on those platforms. No bogged down ports.

I just hope we don't get the same garbage we got with Deus Ex 2: Insivible War..

After all the game has been classed as a AAA title. So we have every right to have very high expectations.

GmanPro
4th Feb 2009, 01:28
look at great game like the Witcher. barely selling a million and this is with sales from sells of both the original release and the special version which came a year after.

I'd say that is due to poor marketing, not because of any lack of a market. I never even heard of it untill a few months after it was released.

Bloodwolf806
4th Feb 2009, 04:03
This would be a hit on PC and 360. The fusing of elements from Gears of War and Bioshock would easily woo the 360 crowd, and the PC is already strong DX territory.

itsalladream
4th Feb 2009, 04:25
Don't have either console, so I'm going with PC. Besides, FPSs belong on PC.

GmanPro
4th Feb 2009, 06:00
^^ Everything belongs on PC.

singularity
4th Feb 2009, 06:53
You can't blame consoles for dumbing down DX2. DX1 was ported very well to the PS2, and lost nearly none of what made it so great. The developers could have just as easily made an awesome DX2, but didn't.

As for my platform of choice, I'm going with the 360.

GmanPro
4th Feb 2009, 07:48
^^ I can, and I WIIIILLLLL!

Lol ... anyway, if for whatever reason my PC explodes, then 360 is my number 2 option (not that I have anything else that would play it).

itsalladream
4th Feb 2009, 08:02
That's what new computers are for.

megam4n
4th Feb 2009, 14:42
PCs for life. I dont have a PS3 or 360.. To me, my old Sega Genesis is teh sheet as far as non-pc gaming. But then again, I almost hate Sony, and I'm sure as heck not gonna support the Communists that are so called 'Microsoft'.

I agree with you about Microsoft, but Apple are just as bad and I hate Sony as an entity also. I'm gonna install it to a 13GB RAM disk on XP 32bit (http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=38005) and just back it up on my HDD. The memories of DX2 are too bad, running for 5 seconds and having to wait 5 minutes for it to load the next 'section'.

Blade_hunter
4th Feb 2009, 15:13
You can't blame consoles for dumbing down DX2. DX1 was ported very well to the PS2, and lost nearly none of what made it so great. The developers could have just as easily made an awesome DX2, but didn't.

As for my platform of choice, I'm going with the 360.

The DX PC was well ported to the PS2 but it was basically made for the PC and not for a console, they removed some elements like the large zones, the separate body parts in the health system, the inventory system, etc ... even if got "better graphics, and some animations, some new rooms, different level design" I don't think it was better than the PC version because it was reduced compared with the PC version, even if they kept some essential things.
DX 2 was made for a console, instead of DX 1 and the game was much lowered due to the Xbox low capacity, the small areas for example is due to the xbox capacity, I played much games used the unreal engine 2 with a better render than DX 2 and with less processing power, better physics, and better AI, that doesn't need an 1.5ghz processor, because the game was poorly optimized for the PC

Much games series when they go to a console, they became more crappish than the first title. DX itself is a proof of it.