PDA

View Full Version : Thief Gold Problems

JRok25
27th Apr 2008, 20:04
I have tried a number of things talked about on here and none them seem to fix the problems I am having with Thief Gold. I am now getting the error message: "Direct3D device driver does not accurately report texture memory use..." I tried getting the patch for this and when I replace the exe file with the patched version I get the error message saying that Thief has encountered a problem and must close (I must be doing something wrong).

Also, I updated my Nvidia GeForce 6800 to the device driver "169.21 WHQL" but this did not help. I actually could get the game to run but everytime it would freeze and I would have to ctrl-alt-delete to get out. Now the game graphics will not even run at all. I really want to be able to play this game so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

theBlackman
27th Apr 2008, 21:31
What is your system?

XP? Vista?

Peter_Smith
28th Apr 2008, 01:52
If you have one of the original release versions, the replacement EXE that solves the texture problem will work. If you have a recent re-release, then the replacement EXE won't work because it is incompatible with the installed game.

One possibility is to apply the DDFIX patch. I provided links in my sticky thread to DDFIX and a forum at TTLG which deals with DDFIX. There are links in that TTLG thread which contain replacement EXEs. Beware, though, that if you have an incompatible version of Thief, the posted replacement EXEs will not work either. DDFIX patch can be applied manually. Maybe that will work, maybe not.

There are some versions, I think Sold Out may be one, which will not work whatever you do, with recent drivers. In those cases maybe reverting to an older driver, such as the one that came with your card, might help. If you could get it working with the old drivers, you could experiment with which new drivers work and which ones don't. Unless you have an original version, it is a crap shoot.

It would help if you not only gave your system specs and Thief version / publisher/ release date but described in detail exactly what steps you have taken.