PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one wanting a Kurtis Trent return?

Anarae
26th Apr 2008, 01:52
Just sayin' he was fun to play in AOD. He's also good enough for Lara because he can keep up and having kinetic abilities doesn't suck in the Tomb Raider world. I thought it was funny how AOD's ads said, "Out of the tombs and into Hell". Now Lara literally is going to hell and what better way to reintroduce Kurtis and finish off the ambiguous story line.

He wouldn't have to be a playable character per say, but a cameo wouldn't hurt. And if they gave him his own game like it was originally planned the cameo would promote it incredibly because Lara has a large fanbase.

I was playing AOD today and I switched over to Anniversary and it got me thinking about Legend. How the original plan was to do AOD in four installments, but then this "I have to get all personal and seek out my mother" happened. I did hear that AOD didn't sell very many copies, so it could be why the idea was 86ed.

Anyway, Kurtis has been on the backburner for a few years and it'd be cool to see what's happened to him since the Boaz incident. :)

Mate
26th Apr 2008, 02:51
it would be interesting to know what happened to him, he could have a revelation in Underworld...Maybe he went to the same place Lara's mother did, It reminds me hat it was almost the same: Their bodies were lost, but it is proven that they still exist somewhere...

Larahair
26th Apr 2008, 03:42
I'd love Kurtis to return and Lara and him can have a thing and have kids have a vegie garden and the family can go raiding together. ahhhhhh :D

LegendLost
26th Apr 2008, 03:54
I highly doubt Kurtis will return. Despite me really liking him, and that him and Lara have major chemistry, it just doesn't seem likely he will be seen again. Almost all was left behind from AOD and below. Legend started a new chapter/its own story arc.

Anarae
26th Apr 2008, 04:55
Thank you. I thought so. :)

RinoTheBouncer
26th Apr 2008, 12:27
There's no need to say that he died in AOD
they just didn't show him there but He survived since Lara found his "FLYING THINGY" and it showed her the directions to him and she smiled ... isn't that right ?

Mangar The Dark
26th Apr 2008, 13:02
Ah, Kurtis... another idea from AOD that was great in theory but bad execution messed it up. I loved the idea of adding a new important character to the series, especially a playable one. But that slow, clunky control system... ugh.
It would be interesting to see him return, but Lara in CD's games is so much different from Lara in AOD, I don't know if there would still be any chemistry between them. Apparently Kurtis likes really rude bad-asses.

Treeble
26th Apr 2008, 13:08
Doesn't Eidos own the license to the character? He doesn't need to be featured in a Tomb Raider game, though I have no idea what sort of game he would fit in. Plus, given Eidos current finnancial situation I highly doubt they'd put efforts in such a risky project. Maybe even further into the future, who knows, they decide to make a Kurtis revival.

Werner Von Croy
26th Apr 2008, 13:24
Hmmm I am sorry but I couldn't care less if I ever seen him again but that's just my opinion, maybe if he is in a separate game away from the Tomb raider world then yes, but if he's ever in another TR game then that's when I know my days of playing TR are over :thumbsup:

Rai
26th Apr 2008, 16:33
You know, I change my mind over Kurtis all the time. I kind of liked playing as a different character but the controls....

I can't see how he'd fit into the games now. I'm mean they did the whole 'after the same artifact' thing, what could they do next - a flash back sequence? It is a tad strange that we never found out what happened. But the AoD storyline was scrapped. Maybe if it had continued we'd have found out? Maybe a future story could have her go back to Paris and she'd have memory moment and/or she'd find clues as to what happened to him? I don't know, I can't imagine how he'd fit into the current plot and Lara's altered back story.

@ Werner. That is harsh :eek: :lol:

David 070
26th Apr 2008, 18:21
no i dont want him,i didnt get aod bcoz he was in it. lol :P

lara only hehe :D

i wouldnt mind if they brought back the sneaking around a little thou. :)

Fickji
26th Apr 2008, 20:32
KURTIS TRENT OUTFIT-UNLOCKED AFTER GETTING EVERYTHING AND DOING ALLLL TIME TRIALS>:D :nut: :D :nut:

But I don't realy want to play mission specific with him. Bonus mission? Skippy mission(where you can skip if you don't want to)?

Maybe...

I Hate Cliff Hangers Forever aka IHCHF

rabid metro
26th Apr 2008, 21:53
...Anyway, Kurtis has been on the backburner for a few years and it'd be cool to see what's happened to him...

Kurtis has lost his memory and he's re-fashioned his Chirugai, only to return (in another universe) as Dark Sector (http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/862/Dark-Sector/)!

:cool:

LisaB1962
26th Apr 2008, 23:10
LOL, Metro. I noticed that too. :lol:

No, I really don't. I liked the AOD story, etc., but I really would prefer to move forward into new territory than constantly try to reinvent the past.

Anarae
27th Apr 2008, 15:21
You all make very excellent points, but I still would love to know the rest of his story. He had potential and it's sad to see him scrapped.

His origin is kind of amusing because he was created by the winning contestant on Disney's "Make A Wish" contest. This kid wanted to be physically put in the game. Kurtis was modeled after him physically and given his first name. The kid chose his last name. So, technically, he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place -- but he was, and now I'm curious!

jayjay119
27th Apr 2008, 15:31
Seeing as the TR:AOD story arc was never completed and how good it was I would like to see it completed also. I hope after TR:U and the 3rd one in the trilogy CD do a re-make of AOD and make it as good as it was on paper. Then continue the story- I wouldn't care if it wasnt the trilogy Core had planned just as long as it answered all the questions fron TR4/chronicles and before AOD like it was supposed to.

On the subject of Kurtis, I wouldn't mind seeing him again- but much like the way I feel about Zip and Alister... a supporting character not a playable one, besides the fast that i play TR for Lara, Kurtis was cluncky and slow plus he got the hardest boss-fight in the game!

imported_ViNi__
27th Apr 2008, 18:27
...I hope after TR:U and the 3rd one in the trilogy CD do a re-make of AOD and make it as good as it was on paper. Then continue the story- I wouldn't care if it wasnt the trilogy Core had planned just as long as it answered all the questions fron TR4/chronicles and before AOD like it was supposed to.

I agree, a AoD remake would be fantastic! And a path to continue the AoD trilogy... I wanted to see what happened to Kurtis, but not to play as him again =S

nurmok
27th Apr 2008, 20:45
I would like to see him again
but not play with him.. no way...
AOD was a mistake in the tomb raider series
and they
certainly didn't fix it by giving
you the oportunity to play with another
character..

So if they want to involve Kurtis again in a game they
should do it very carefully..

Werner Von Croy
27th Apr 2008, 21:02
You know, I change my mind over Kurtis all the time. I kind of liked playing as a different character but the controls....

I can't see how he'd fit into the games now. I'm mean they did the whole 'after the same artifact' thing, what could they do next - a flash back sequence? It is a tad strange that we never found out what happened. But the AoD storyline was scrapped. Maybe if it had continued we'd have found out? Maybe a future story could have her go back to Paris and she'd have memory moment and/or she'd find clues as to what happened to him? I don't know, I can't imagine how he'd fit into the current plot and Lara's altered back story.

@ Werner. That is harsh :eek: :lol:

Sorry I found him a tad irritating just for some reason

Anarae
28th Apr 2008, 00:30
AOD got tons of negative reviews, which bummed me out. The controls are horrid, but I never encountered any bugs. I got used to the whack control job. It's the only Tomb Raider to date that allows Lara to do hand to hand combat and I enjoyed having her interact with other people. Sure, it wasn't the best in the series, but I certainly wouldn't call it a failure or a disappointment.

Underworld seems like it's going to satisfy me in that aspect. It's going to bring back AOD elements like the hand to hand combat and the edgier look. It's going to satisfy those who think she's too blood thirsty by providing alternatives since the animals and baddies can now attack each other, leaving Lara's hands blood free if she's skillful enough. It's also going to pay homage to the classic by using a "into the tombs of hell" storyline.

I agree with above -- I hope after this trilogy they pick up AOD and either a)revamp it or b) give us a small Kurtis cameo to show us that he's still alive and not totally in the dumpster.

Hopefully when Eidos recovers financially, they'll give Kurtis his own game and fix the messy controls. I'm attached to this idea and I don't want to give up on it so easily.

Emroid
28th Apr 2008, 04:07
i always thaught kurtis was karel, i mean at the end karel says he help lara so far and transforms into several people (including kurtis), either it means it was him, or he is dead from that bug monster :confused:

uzigirl
28th Apr 2008, 11:50
I would love to see Kurtis back.......only in a game of his own though, definitely not in Tomb Raider. :D

Cherry Hardy
29th Apr 2008, 02:45
I would love to see what happen to Kurtis Trent. And I also like him to.

Icetea555
29th Apr 2008, 02:52
It would be nice to know what might have happen to Kurtis Trent and also did Kurtis and Lara like each other feel affection to each other.

ziad
29th Apr 2008, 16:20
i thought kurtis was really KAREL... and i swear no-one ever explained who karel actually was lol... and NO NO, no AOD remake please, CD already ruined tomb raider one, lets not see them add the over fluid lara on prozac into the really well made atmospheric landscape of AOD, knowing them, they'll probably add some connection to laras parents and make every level look and feel the same. the controls was the only let down in AOD, well that and the crap boss fights and maybe the bad monsters aswell. so no, if CD did another remake or a core game i will be soo angry

jayjay119
29th Apr 2008, 17:41
i thought kurtis was really KAREL... and i swear no-one ever explained who karel actually was lol... and NO NO, no AOD remake please, CD already ruined tomb raider one, lets not see them add the over fluid lara on prozac into the really well made atmospheric landscape of AOD, knowing them, they'll probably add some connection to laras parents and make every level look and feel the same. the controls was the only let down in AOD, well that and the crap boss fights and maybe the bad monsters aswell. so no, if CD did another remake or a core game i will be soo angry

Lol but isn't there even just that little bit of you thats wants to know what happened after Lara walked out of that chamber at the end of the game? Lets agree Cd should at least make AOD2 at least :whistle:

ziad
29th Apr 2008, 17:48
of course i want to know what will happen, but i'd rather not if cd make it. lol tbh i would rather core just tell us what they were planning on doing and where the storyline was going, just so we get some clarification then having yet another linear CD game in which the refuse to make use of atmospheric lighting and colours that arent verging on grey lol.

jayjay119
29th Apr 2008, 17:53
of course i want to know what will happen, but i'd rather not if cd make it. lol tbh i would rather core just tell us what they were planning on doing and where the storyline was going, just so we get some clarification then having yet another linear CD game in which the refuse to make use of atmospheric lighting and colours that arent verging on grey lol.

I see what you mean, the past CD games have been SO linear compared to core's universes but if you look at how non-linear TRU is promising to be maybe after its release CD may be able to attack the AOD universe properly! Plus the mechanics of TRU resemble those of AOD a lot at the moment...maybe CD took a lot of inspiration from that game for this.

If not i agree Core, or the higher members of it should get together and release a novel of the story lol

ziad
29th Apr 2008, 17:57
I see what you mean, the past CD games have been SO linear compared to core's universes but if you look at how non-linear TRU is promising to be maybe after its release CD may be able to attack the AOD universe properly! Plus the mechanics of TRU resemble those of AOD a lot at the moment...maybe CD took a lot of inspiration from that game for this.

If not i agree Core, or the higher members of it should get together and release a novel of the story lol

lol well maybe i'll change my mind when i play underworld, lets all hope for the best. although now i;m secretly wishing for the novel

Anarae
3rd May 2008, 22:20
Hm. Perhaps they could do a third Tomb Raider film. I know it isn't going to happen, but I'd love to see a Tomb Raider film post-AOD that finishes the ambiguous storyline.It never fit to me that Lara would just let it "live and let live". She's curious, it's what gets her into trouble, and Trent is something to be curious about.

Again, it probably won't happen, but I've already picked out a cast in my head. I was watching American Idol the other night and it hit me. David Cook looks uncanny to Kurtis Trent.
Cook
http://thmg.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LuckyStar19/th_david6.jpg]

Trent
http://www.tombraider.ws/images/angelofdarkness/characters_kurtis_trent.jpg

Just sayin'.

Arctic
4th May 2008, 10:41
It would be interesting to see him return, but Lara in CD's games is so much different from Lara in AOD, I don't know if there would still be any chemistry between them. Apparently Kurtis likes really rude bad-asses.

Well, maybe Lara has gone back to the rude bad-ass. She looks a bit more like it :p

I wouldn't have any problem with Kurtis coming back at all. But not as a playable character. In Tomb Raider you play as Lara and no one else :D
If Kurtis came back, they should keep him mysterious, but maybe a bit more open than in AOD.
The last thing: Kurtis and Lara getting married and having children: No way! ****
:D

lara croft #1
4th May 2008, 16:49
i loved kurtis. i would at least like to see what happened to him. and if he does return it would be cool, but i would not like to play as him. maybe have a flshback scene or sumthin

rabid metro
4th May 2008, 17:41
in CD's tomb raider universe, Kurtis doesn't exist.
there's no AoD and no Von Croy, etc. ...

on the subject of movies, it would be interesting to see a 3rd movie that was more aligned with CD's story-telling.
however, it would require a non-Jolie Lara, in order to break free from the past.
someone before mentioned a CG-Lara movie (ala Beowulf, etc.). that would be doable and awesome ...

Moosey1020
4th May 2008, 18:43
:mad2: Omgosh that would be like the most stupidest thing in the world he was stupid to play and it totally ruined aod when they did that

Katin-ka
4th May 2008, 22:26
Just sayin' he was fun to play in AOD. He's also good enough for Lara because he can keep up and having kinetic abilities doesn't suck in the Tomb Raider world. I thought it was funny how AOD's ads said, "Out of the tombs and into Hell". Now Lara literally is going to hell and what better way to reintroduce Kurtis and finish off the ambiguous story line.

He wouldn't have to be a playable character per say, but a cameo wouldn't hurt. And if they gave him his own game like it was originally planned the cameo would promote it incredibly because Lara has a large fanbase.

I was playing AOD today and I switched over to Anniversary and it got me thinking about Legend. How the original plan was to do AOD in four installments, but then this "I have to get all personal and seek out my mother" happened. I did hear that AOD didn't sell very many copies, so it could be why the idea was 86ed.

Anyway, Kurtis has been on the backburner for a few years and it'd be cool to see what's happened to him since the Boaz incident. :)
You are not the one who liked Kurtis and would like him to return! I also agree with U !!

Rai
4th May 2008, 22:42

Really? You know this for certain, do you? Lara's family/life back story may have changed, but have Crystal D actually completely discounted the previous games? Lara's actual past adventures may not have been mentioned in Legend, but nothing new there. So AoD was a (very vague) continuation of TRLR but other than that which Core TR game ever referred to a previous adventure? Chronicles didn't really reflect any of the previous games, it was just flashbacks to past adventures. Ones the players hadn't seen before.

I guess my point is: Just because CD changed Lara's back story, it does not mean her previous adventures can be discounted. True, it is highly unlikely that CD will ever incorporate older storylines into the new/future games. TRA was a special case as a celebration.

In our imaginations those in-between years can still have taken place for Lara. Although, the AoD story doesn't really make sense in her new bio.

Kurtis coming back is doubtful, but never say never.

Fickji
5th May 2008, 02:10
Really? You know this for certain, do you? Lara's family/life back story may have changed, but have Crystal D actually completely discounted the previous games? Lara's actual past adventures may not have been mentioned in Legend, but nothing new there. So AoD was a (very vague) continuation of TRLR but other than that which Core TR game ever referred to a previous adventure? Chronicles didn't really reflect any of the previous games, it was just flashbacks to past adventures. Ones the players hadn't seen before.

I guess my point is: Just because CD changed Lara's back story, it does not mean her previous adventures can be discounted. True, it is highly unlikely that CD will ever incorporate older storylines into the new/future games. TRA was a special case as a celebration.

In our imaginations those in-between years can still have taken place for Lara. Although, the AoD story doesn't really make sense in her new bio.

Kurtis coming back is doubtful, but never say never.

In the manor in TR anniversary there were books that talked about adventures from TR2 and TR3 and possibly others. I remember Maria Dorie and the dagger and I think some of the artifacts in TR3.

So, in essence Kurtis, Von Croy and all the other weird and wacky Core universe characters could still be in CD's parallel universe.

Kurtis may come back but I dought a ghostly Von Croy will make an appearance. Unless its a flashback.

pinkangel07
5th May 2008, 02:43
I'm really indifferent.

If Kurtis is there, I'll be all, "Wow, CD is bringing back Kurtis?"
Then I'll remember the Asylum level and get freaked out.
Then I'll think of when Kurtis and Lara had a "moment" and he stole her guns from her (bom chicka wah wah! hahahahahaha, jk)

And then I'll ask myself, "Wow, why is he here though? I thought he like, died in AOD..."

Anarae
5th May 2008, 07:19
In the final scene of AOD (don't read this if you don't want to be spoiled!)...

Lara's standing over a pool of his blood and the Chirugai (Kurtis' weapon) begins to move, spin around her, etc. The Chirugai couldn't move if the wielder was dead. It's moved by Kurtis' kinetic energy. Therefore Kurtis is alive -- or was alive, move the Chirugai to mess with Lara's head, and then died from blood loss. The last makes me laugh to think about because it's so silly. "Hm. I'm dying and the first thing on my mind is to get the Chirugai and waste all my energy getting that while I bleed to death." Yeahhhh right!

I know he won't be coming back in Underworld, but I would appreciate CD giving him a nod in a future game.

Ironically Core Design and Crystal Dynamics have the same acronym: CD. Found it amusing.

LisaB1962
5th May 2008, 12:23
It's not a question of it "not existing" so much as it's not germane to what CD is doing. The only reason to dredge up the plot points of the old games is to try to "legitimize" CD's new story arc for folks who can't quite accept the past is past, and we're moving on. And I say this as someone who's not entirely thrilled with CD's new Lara. :cool: It's pointless to try to make connection where none was really intended just so "TRJohnny" can feel more comfortable playing the new games.

I liked AOD's story as much as the next person, but there's just no real point to bringing back Kurtis. I can't see it improving the gameplay experience, only improving the nostalgia factor while bringing baggage that the new games don't need.

TR doesn't need cutscenes where Lara talks about Area 51 or Tibet or guest appearances by Von Croy or Kurtis. It just needs good solid TR-style gameplay: huge levels, lots of places to get to, puzzles and creepy enemies. We need to get scared, we need to get stumped, and we need to get lost.

jayjay119
5th May 2008, 15:22

on the subject of movies, it would be interesting to see a 3rd movie that was more aligned with CD's story-telling.
however, it would require a non-Jolie Lara, in order to break free from the past.
someone before mentioned a CG-Lara movie (ala Beowulf, etc.). that would be doable and awesome ...

Point 1/ I think you will find that TR:AOD and everything/one that accompanies that storyline DOES exist under CD continuity. CD said it themselves! And as Fickji says in TR:A there is MANY open references to past adventures! CD has blatantly made huge changes for a reason, and it's probably all going to be pulled together in TRU.

Point 2/ Unless the 3rd movie is in the style of Beowolf with the 'ACTUAL' Lara
I don't want another, the first 2 were a big enough let down thank you!

Point 3/ IF Kurtis wasn't Karel, and was a real person then he is Alive as when Lara picks up his Chirugui over the pool of blood, it must have been in the chamber where he was impaled by Boaz as He had the Chirugui when it happened...There was No body, hence he must have survived and limped away!

jayjay119
5th May 2008, 15:37
Lara's actual past adventures may not have been mentioned in Legend, but nothing new there. So AoD was a (very vague) continuation of TRLR but other than that which Core TR game ever referred to a previous adventure? Chronicles didn't really reflect any of the previous games, it was just flashbacks to past adventures. Ones the players hadn't seen before.

This is very true, at least someone agrees with me on this, although i think the AOD storyline could still make sense of in the CD continuity. Think of it like this- under CD's continuity, Lara was tutored by her father, but that doesn't mean that she still didn't go on that trip to Cambodia with Von Croy that started everything in TR4. In fact I think it could make more sense under CD's continuity.

That's to say, if you consider Lara's Original bio Core wrote, it states Lara only got a taste for a adventure in her 20's after the plane crash. But yet we see her adventuring at the age of 16 in Cambodia with Von Croy in TR4...doesn't make sense. So CD moving the Plane Crash to earlier in Lara's life in Legend opens the mother storyline but also makes sense of Lara wanting to travel from an earlier age, hence the Von Croy character/ TR4 Cambodia scenario would now make sense around Lara's 16th year. As would everything that follows.

Anarae
6th May 2008, 07:08
We're definitely going to get everything we bargained for and more in Underworld, I'm confident of that. But I think after the mother issue is solved it wouldn't hurt to visit bits of the AOD storyline. With all the improvements I think something epic could come out of it.

little miss Ju
6th May 2008, 18:28
I really liked Kurtis except that he sucked when you played him so if they like reintrodiced him as a non-playable character then I'd be happy - or at least let us know what actually happened to him...

pinkangel07
7th May 2008, 17:06
I really liked Kurtis except that he sucked when you played him so if they like reintrodiced him as a non-playable character then I'd be happy - or at least let us know what actually happened to him...

I'm glad someone brought that up; Going from nimble Lara to clunky Kurtis wasn't the best idea in the world.

NightRain'06
8th May 2008, 06:18
I have not met Kurtis in AOD because of its problems.

But don't be surprised IF he makes a return and flirts with her again. I've seen the AOD meeting cutscene in YouTube. That cocky son of a......
I don't understand why he was not in an intensive care unit immediately.

Anyway, who's to say, hypothetically, that they won't continue with the AOD storyline ? Or maybe in due time in a crossover he could appear in a separate storyline. Do I want his return ? No. But if they continue with AOD sequels, eventually his annoying face will show. Right ?

Then, she will break him.

Anarae
8th May 2008, 08:03
Haha, NightRain, I loved your commentary there. I found Kurtis' redeeming quality was the Kinetic powers/farsee ability. That's handy to have around in the Tomb Raider world and the only thing that really makes him good enough for Lara (though many will disagree).

Bringing him back briefly as a nonplayable character would be great! His controls were a disaster so if he got his own game they'd have to me MAJORLY tweaked.

NightRain'06
8th May 2008, 22:44
Bringing him back briefly as a nonplayable character would be great!

Agreed. Preferably only as her target practice.

Kurtis spin-off game ? I think his cousin (not really but it's funny to think so) Hayden Tenno from Dark Sector (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=63651) already beat him to the punch. Check out his Glaive throwing weapon. Doesn't it resemble Kurtis' toy ??

Anarae
9th May 2008, 20:32
I have a new argument. It's merely a joke, but I thought I'd share. Everyone is talking about how Lara's around 40 or so and getting older. Another reason to bring back Kurtis (for a cutscene or something, certainly not playable until they fix those controls!), is so Lara can procreate before she gets too old to do so. :lol: He's the only legit kind of love interest/flirting quietly with gunplay she's had (With the exception of Larson but he's both stupid and dead). It'd be better to use Kurtis instead of coming up with someone new. She wouldn't be into a guy who couldn't keep up with her so it'd be like rehashing Kurtis just to come up with a new character.

I mean, I don't mind playing Lara at 50 .. but it'd be nice to continue it later on AND it wouldn't suck being a kid with Lara's Amazonian athletics and Kurtis' Kinetic/farsee abilities. ;)

pinkangel07
10th May 2008, 03:23
Hahahahahaaa, omg, that would be CRAZY.

Idk if I want Lara to have a kid with Kurtis Trent though... lol

NightRain'06
10th May 2008, 04:59
There is a separate Love Interest (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75567) thread. Have you seen it before ? :)

I don't know if I could see her as a Baby Mama ! :lmao: I think that should be kept only in our minds.

Honestly, you could play as Mama Croft........ in The Sims game.
Just create her, the husband, and their child or children. And there you go. Hehe.......

Anarae
10th May 2008, 06:31
Yes, I've seen it, thanks. I'm just joking around. :)

I don't see Lara as a Baby Mama either. :\ Maybe she can drink some Fountain of Youth elixir or something so that we can play TR eternally.

I suppose that's what Tomb Raider Level Editor was created for. I'll have to get back into that and make some interesting levels.

chubbywubby
24th Jun 2008, 17:25
I highly doubt Kurtis will return. Despite me really liking him, and that him and Lara have major chemistry, it just doesn't seem likely he will be seen again. Almost all was left behind from AOD and below. Legend started a new chapter/its own story arc.

Yeah Like Angelina Jolie and Gerard Butler in The Cradle of Life LOL

Kami
25th Jun 2008, 13:36
you arent the only one! :) I am a proud KTEBer :D :D :D

To anyone else who feels this way, there is an aod trilogy petition going on. Please sign it! :)

http://www.petitiononline.com/aodtri/petition.html

Anarae
25th Jun 2008, 16:38
you arent the only one! :) I am a proud KTEBer :D :D :D

To anyone else who feels this way, there is an aod trilogy petition going on. Please sign it! :)

http://www.petitiononline.com/aodtri/petition.html

Me, too. I'm the same name on that forum. Already signed the petition.

rabid metro
25th Jun 2008, 18:23
... I am a proud KTEBer ...

pardon me asking ... but maybe you can sort this out for me.
... and i hope you don't mind the term i coined "Kurtisans".
i don't intend any disrespect as i thought it was kind of clever ...

1. are the "Kurtisans" angry with Eidos or CD?
2. is Core completely blameless from your point of view?
3. do you want Eidos to force CD to complete the AoD trilogy or would it be okay if someone else was hired to complete the trilogy?
4. assuming a trilogy completion, could it possibly satisfy all "Kurtisans"? (are you all of one mind?)
5. will "Kurtisans" refuse to play TRU, for example, if your "AoD demands" aren't met?

curious minds want to know.

Anarae
25th Jun 2008, 19:16

3. do you want Eidos to force CD to complete the AoD trilogy or would it be okay if someone else was hired to complete the trilogy?
4. assuming a trilogy completion, could it possibly satisfy all "Kurtisans"? (are you all of one mind?)
5. will "Kurtisans" refuse to play TRU, for example, if your "AoD demands" aren't met?

KTEB stands for Kurtis Trent Estrogen Brigade, often refered to as KTEBers. I've never heard the term Kurtisans, but that's cool.

1. Our opinions are scattered. Most of us aren't angry, simply disappointed. No one I've met is angry at Core Design (but they blame them fairly), a few are angry at Eidos. In conclusion, we're a fairly peaceful group.
2. No, Core Design shoulders their fair share of blame. We do feel that they were given too much blame in the AOD fiasco.
3. I can't speak for all of us on this, but most of us are okay with someone else being hired to do the continuation (probably Crystal Dynamics) as long as they do a proper job. Some wouldn't trust the job with anyone except Core Design. Again, mixed views.
4. No, we aren't all one mind, but sometimes it feels that way. We'd be satisfied provided Kurtis remains true to his character and the controls are fixed. :)
5. Nope! Most of us are very excited about TRU. Many of us will be buying and playing Tomb Raider: Underworld.

We would sincerely appreciate an Angel of Darkness storyline continuation featuring characters such as Karel and Kurtis, but we aren't being stubborn by refusing to play the current games.

Plenty of KTEBers didn't like Legend due to her radical personality change (plenty of original Tomb Raiders weren't so fond of it either), but I haven't met anyone who flat out refuses to give the game a chance because "it isn't AOD".

We do debate and argue a lot, but we try to remain positive and not bash anyone. "Kurtisans" only want to see the game continued and done properly because we felt incredibly robbed when AOD was released unfinished. The storyline was incredibly brilliant and it's a shame to see it scraped.

I'm (along with others) confident that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos could integrate the storyline into a new game/continuation and if done properly, could do well in sales.

Personally, I'd appreciate even a mention of homage in a new game to AOD. I realize that we can't have everything we want and am open to fair compromise. I wouldn't have any qualms about having the Legend continuation and the AOD continuation integrate into one storyline. I'm sure a few creative minds could connect them. This way -- the new gamers get what they want (Emo Lara and her Childhood Trauma), while old raiders and AOD fans get what they want. I'm all for finding a middle ground. I can't speak for the rest of the KTEBers. If you're interested in what they have to say, there is a forum at www.kteb.net. I'm sure they won't mind you asking a few questions or taking a poll.:)

CJtheRad
25th Jun 2008, 19:18
I'm not overly fond of Kurtis Trent but one of the things that I liked about him was the expaneded social network he provided. Througout the Original Game their were subantagonists like Larson who you knew and you knew something about them. In Larsons case, he was a stereotypical southern boy but it worked. I liked having that interaction between Lara and the baddies.

I think they tried to bring back that social interaction by making Kurtis Trent but unfortunatly we never really learned an awful lot about his personality so the attempt kind of failed. I'd like to see more of that social interaction in the new games. I mean, sure there's her crew back at the manor but you only see them a few times in the cut sceans, there background art. It's fun to have more characters in the story then just Lara and one big baddie.

In Legend they had two antagonists (Rutland and Amanda) who you learn a bit about and then Yakamoto you you just see 3 times in one level. Pretty much what I'm saying is, I don't know if I want Kurtis Trent back but someone who we'll see in later games. Someone maybe who's not a baddie, maybe another archeologist who is just compeating against Lara, not working w/ the baddie like Pierre.

Darcy-123
25th Jun 2008, 20:09
JUST THINKING BACK ON ALL THE OLD CHARACTERS AND IM WONDERING DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO VON CROY????? :scratch:

Anarae
25th Jun 2008, 20:25
JUST THINKING BACK ON ALL THE OLD CHARACTERS AND IM WONDERING DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO VON CROY????? :scratch:

Have you not played Angel of Darkness? In Tomb Raider 6, Von Croy is murdered by Karel, a member of the Nephillim race who wishes to revive and cause havoc on mankind. Von Croy was doing some work for him, hunting down Obscura Paintings, but soon Von Croy became a liability and was exterminated.

If you're not interested in playing the game you should look into the story, read about it on Wikipedia. It's a brilliant story.

rabid metro
26th Jun 2008, 04:36
... KTEB stands for Kurtis Trent Estrogen Brigade, often refered to as KTEBers ...

cool ... i'll now suggest KuTEBee's ... as a rabid gesture of support.

i think it is funny that i used CD meaning Crystal Dynamics (and i refer to the other as Core) and that you read CD as Core Design (and you refer to the other as Crystal).

Crystal has paid some respects to AoD in Legend. you're probably aware that Crystal Design is notorious for their Easter Eggs, in general.

many people would like Crystal to indulge their personal fancy, which is fine, but ... at this time, i don't see Crystal's motivation for doing so.

one hurdle facing treatment of the older games by Crystal is the largely incompatible story lines. i think that was intentional and signals Crystal's desire to be free from the past. it doesn't rule out tributes or integrated story lines but any such efforts will be entirely at Crystal's discretion. petitions and such, are the way to make your case and i suppose anything is possible, however I wouldn't hold my breath over it. i hope you don't mind too much that i feel this way. basically, i think we're all just FOLC's to some extent ...

(Fans Of Lara Croft)

Kami
26th Jun 2008, 05:54

:cool: Ahhhh :rolleyes: The pint of this petition is just the aod fans to know what happens after tr4 and tr6. In any form. Can be a game, can be a movie, fmv unlockable, a book, comix... whatever.

1. some are, some not
2. Both sides Core and Eidos were wrong. But Core didnt deserve to get fired
3. there are some really passionate aod lovers (not necessarily to be KTEBers) that want the ocntinuation only by core. But I am realistic I know the chanse of that happening is evenmore miniature then getting a continuation at all. But I would love it if the smith brodthers and Murty schofield (he is teh writer of aod's plot) are back to continue with crystal... I dont fond this so hard to do. They got toby gard back
4. SOme say they wont be satisfied witha continueation not made by core, But I think Crystal is startting to understand what aod is about
5. I think they will all play it. I know I will. soma (even me) can bash it though. Like we re doing with legend. But the game has to deserve it. Not just because its notmade by core.

And we are not called Kurtisans - we are called KTEBers. KTEB is the name of our club and we even have a forum :p

cool ... i'll now suggest KuTEBee's ... as a rabid gesture of support. :rolleyes: mature...

I[/I] wouldn't hold my breath over it. i hope you don't mind too much that i feel this way. basically, i think we're all just FOLC's to some extent ...

(Fans Of Lara Croft)

No harm in trying. Whats importent is that we are showing we still car about aod. Even 5 years after it was made we still care about teh game as strong as ever.

rabid metro
26th Jun 2008, 06:17
... The pint of this petition is just the aod fans to know what happens after tr4 and tr6. In any form. Can be a game, can be a movie, fmv unlockable, a book, comix... whatever ...

i think you might find relief in this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77660) (around post #30 - 31 or so) ...

Kami
26th Jun 2008, 08:06
wow... and I tried to be serious... :rasp: Its possible teh guy on teh boat is winston. In teh comics lara's butler was doing such thigs like takeing her home iwth a yacht after some serious underwater exploring... No point in kurtis doing that.

and I still think t his yach looks out of place as if the background has been fanmade

Anarae
26th Jun 2008, 13:51
cool ... i'll now suggest KuTEBee's ... as a rabid gesture of support.

i think it is funny that i used CD meaning Crystal Dynamics (and i refer to the other as Core) and that you read CD as Core Design (and you refer to the other as Crystal).

Crystal has paid some respects to AoD in Legend. you're probably aware that Crystal Design is notorious for their Easter Eggs, in general.

many people would like Crystal to indulge their personal fancy, which is fine, but ... at this time, i don't see Crystal's motivation for doing so.

one hurdle facing treatment of the older games by Crystal is the largely incompatible story lines. i think that was intentional and signals Crystal's desire to be free from the past. it doesn't rule out tributes or integrated story lines but any such efforts will be entirely at Crystal's discretion. petitions and such, are the way to make your case and i suppose anything is possible, however I wouldn't hold my breath over it. i hope you don't mind too much that i feel this way. basically, i think we're all just FOLC's to some extent ...

(Fans Of Lara Croft)

Oops! No, most of us aren't mad at Crystal Dynamics. It's confusing how their initials are the same!

We're not holding our breath, but thanks. We know that the odds are slim, but we trudge along anyway -- because you never know. ;)

pinkangel07
26th Jun 2008, 17:15
I was just thinking to myself...

"It would be the craziest thing ever if Kurtis appeared randomly in the game somewhere... I would LOVE to see that movie clip."

I don't think it's going to happen though. :/

Katie_Fleming
26th Jun 2008, 18:08
I would love it if Kurtis returned, but I doubt we'll ever see him again. Eidos ditched Core and seemed to be happy to ditch the whole AOD concept at the same time.

I was wishing they would have at least put a FMV at the beginning of Legend to make everything flow correctly, but no such luck :rolleyes:

rg_001100
26th Jun 2008, 18:13
Oops! No, most of us aren't made at Crystal Dynamics...

I've seen one guy who I thought was....

Maybe Kurtis could cameo as some random character in the game, but not as 'kurtis'....

Anarae
27th Jun 2008, 02:43
I've seen one guy who I thought was....

Maybe Kurtis could cameo as some random character in the game, but not as 'kurtis'....
Of course some people are angry at CD, but I meant that most of us aren't.

Ah! You mean like the film Elektra? Elektra was in Daredevil and when she got her own film, there were rumours that Daredevil would be part of the plot. He wasn't, but if you look carefully, you'll see a blind man walk by her on the street and it's him. He did a small cameo as a sort of nod/homage. It was nice.

It'd be cool to do the same with Kurtis. Just have him walk by in the game or sitting at a table somewhere (if there are any urban locations?). The AODers would appreciate the homage. :)

rabid metro
27th Jun 2008, 05:16
... It would be the craziest thing ever if Kurtis appeared randomly in the game somewhere ...

... Maybe Kurtis could cameo as some random character in the game ...

... It'd be cool to do the same with Kurtis. Just have him walk by in the game ...

... ahhhhhh, the Easter Egg potential is so great here ... i can smell it ...

james987654321
27th Jun 2008, 05:40
I really hope he had a haircut! Those man bangs were awful!

Kami
27th Jun 2008, 06:09
... ahhhhhh, the Easter Egg potential is so great here ... i can smell it ...

easte egg would be nice. But I hope they don mak a guy looking liek him to be a shootable merc and thats it! :lol:

Jurre
27th Jun 2008, 14:48
I don't like Kurtis at all. Tr was a revolutionary game for featuring a strong independant female protagoniste. Don't mess that up by introducing (yet another!) boring male action hero to be her sidekick... Also, I don't want him (or indeed anyone else) to be her love intrest. I think that the more unreachable she is the more desirable she becomes. Having her to fall in love with some dude spoils that feeling for me. There is also a final reason for me to dislike him but perhaps its better I keep that to myself...

Anarae
27th Jun 2008, 15:41
I don't like Kurtis at all. Tr was a revolutionary game for featuring a strong independant female protagoniste. Don't mess that up by introducing (yet another!) boring male action hero to be her sidekick... Also, I don't want him (or indeed anyone else) to be her love intrest. I think that the more unreachable she is the more desirable she becomes. Having her to fall in love with some dude spoils that feeling for me. There is also a final reason for me to dislike him but perhaps its better I keep that to myself...

Kurtis was never meant to be a love interest; he was meant to be a long term friend, much like Zip/Alister/Winston.

Yes, Lara has always been an icon of feminine power, but it doesn't mean she can't maintain relationships without remaining so. Logically, Lara's had a few men in her life, but it's something you'll never see in game. Don't fret. Tomb Raider is first an Action Adventure game. :)

Ah, I never thought of him as a sidekick. Kurtis seemed to manage well on his own. He was supposed to get his own game, but after the AOD fiasco those ideas were subsequently scrapped. Bringing him back wouldn't be such an awful thing. When they tighten up the control system, everything will be fine. They could always make him an optional playable character. You could choose between being him or Lara.

I didn't see what the big deal was about him being playable. Kurtis only had three levels in AOD and they weren't incredibly long. It was different and refreshing.

It's fair that you don't appreciate Kurtis' character, but I hope your reasoning isn't because you fear him a "love interest" for Lara. It wasn't intended and certainly wouldn't happen in game. There were reasons to dislike him: Kurtis was quite egotistical and the during gameplay he moved like a cement truck with flat wheels -- but these are easily fixed.

Crystal Dynamics seems to be doing well with the developing. I admit I wasn't a fan of Legend, but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy Underworld.

When he makes a return (I say "when" because I like to remain positive), Crystal Dynamics will make sure that everything fits and that he doesn't intrude on Lara's independence. :)

Jurre
27th Jun 2008, 16:07
Kurtis was never meant to be a love interest; he was meant to be a long term friend, much like Zip/Alister/Winston.

Excuse me, but wasn't there a scene in which they kissed? I thought I saw something in a screenshot. I haven't seen it in the game I must admit, because I never made it to there.

Anarae
27th Jun 2008, 20:23
Excuse me, but wasn't there a scene in which they kissed? I thought I saw something in a screenshot. I haven't seen it in the game I must admit, because I never made it to there.

No, they didn't kiss. There was a scene in the end of Galleries Under Seige where Kurtis comes up behind Lara with a gun and takes her pistols. He goes about disarming her in the same manner Larson took when trying to get the stone in Chronicles. It was a bit flirty, but she had a gun aimed at her neck and didn't have much of a choice.

They ended up working together as friends. Eckhardt says, "I don't care about you, Miss Croft. Or your friend. Give me the painting and you may both go."

There's plenty of fan art out there, so you've bound to come across something of the sort. But there's no kiss in the actual game itself. I've played it ten times over.

Jurre
27th Jun 2008, 20:31
Oh I see... well thanks for clearing that up...

OoxshlezarxoO
30th Jun 2008, 18:12
:) :) :) :) :) i think kurtis should return in some kind of way, but i dont think he is gonna come out yet, unless somebody went to eidos or crystal and asked them to put kurtis back in a game or something but i hope he will be
1:) :) :) :) :) :)

Rachie
1st Jul 2008, 07:29
No, they didn't kiss. There was a scene in the end of Galleries Under Seige where Kurtis comes up behind Lara with a gun and takes her pistols. He goes about disarming her in the same manner Larson took when trying to get the stone in Chronicles. It was a bit flirty, but she had a gun aimed at her neck and didn't have much of a choice.

They ended up working together as friends. Eckhardt says, "I don't care about you, Miss Croft. Or your friend. Give me the painting and you may both go."

There's plenty of fan art out there, so you've bound to come across something of the sort. But there's no kiss in the actual game itself. I've played it ten times over.

Yes, there are very strange fan arts of Kurtis and Lara..... most not suitable to mention on a family thread.... :whistle:

Kurtis, come back!! I missus you.

kitkatt13
2nd Jul 2008, 18:20
Loved teh concept of Kurtis, didn't like the 2nd playable character.......TR's about you following Lara, Not Kurtis.
As to a return, I doubt it......I belive CORE owns him and i doubt they gave him to CD too...

Rai
2nd Jul 2008, 18:24
Loved teh concept of Kurtis, didn't like the 2nd playable character.......TR's about you following Lara, Not Kurtis.
As to a return, I doubt it......I belive CORE owns him and i doubt they gave him to CD too...

Er...don't Eidos own Kurtis? If that is the case, they can give him to CD if they want. But I can't see him back...maybe a mention would be nice just to clarify things.

kitkatt13
2nd Jul 2008, 18:43
Er...don't Eidos own Kurtis? If that is the case, they can give him to CD if they want. But I can't see him back...maybe a mention would be nice just to clarify things.

*shrugs* From the shady reviews i read, it said somewhere that Kurtis belonged to Core, but it honestly doesn't matter too me. Either way i think we can agree that their most likely, will not be a Kurtis Trent return, unfortuantly.

Kami
2nd Jul 2008, 18:53

ditto

ditto

:)

Marilena
5th Jul 2008, 12:10
Noooo you're not the only one!!!! I really hope he will come back!!!! He's PERFECT for her!
I loved playing angel of darkness! ^_^