PDA

View Full Version : PC getting shafted?

MouseNo4
24th Apr 2008, 13:30
Tomb Raider was originally designed only for pc.

Fast forward 10 years and now Tomb Raider has a new home. Consoles. At the moment, its the Wii.

With the introduction of new features and abilities in Tomb Raider Anniversary (and Underworld i can guarantee it) ONLY available on the Wii version, is this the start of an abandonment from Tomb Raider's roots in PC gaming from the developers?

Will Crystal Dynamics take the same route that Call of Duty took? Infinity Ward, the developers of Call of Duty have all but abandoned the original platform from which they designed their successful franchise.

Ive been playing Tomb Raider for years, and this path all but wraps it up for Tomb Raider series as far as im concerned.

But what annoys me is the fact that all the 'enhancements' to the Wii version should be fully compatible with the keyboard/mouse control interface, but i dont see any 'enhancements' coming to the PC version.

It is a sad day for me when i learned of this BS.

GoranAgar
24th Apr 2008, 13:42
I am sorry to tell you this ... but the first TR was developed on the Playstation.

I am a PC gamer myself and the controls for the PS1 TR are completely alien to me. But we do not have any claim here. ;)

MouseNo4
24th Apr 2008, 14:00
Irrespective, the Wii has a limited lifespan, PC's last... well they havent 'died' yet...

What will happen to those who buy the console version and realise the next successor to the Wii isnt backwards compatible? Just keep the old consoles stored somewhere?

I cant imagine keeping ALL the consoles ive had through the years. As most will attest, a single console will last about 2 years. Afterwards, the successor comes in and nothing gets developed for the old console.

Sole reason i never bought a console again. Their lifespan is far too short. You see, if i want to play the pc version of tomb raider 1, i grab the disc, ram it in the drive and play! (of course with a few adjustments if your using vista)

Treeble
24th Apr 2008, 14:16
But what about computers? It's a known fact that it's quite troublesome to play old DOS based games (such as the original Tomb Raider) under machines running Vista or even XP. So what do you do? Do you stash away an old 586 to play the old games without headaches? ;)

The only reason the Wii received extra features was that it came out on that platform half a year after it was released on PC/PS2 and because, well, pretty much every game that's ported to the Wii receives some tweaks of some sort because of the control features.

Just for the record, a console has a lifespan of around 5 years, not 2. I think 2 years is how long PC technology lasts before you have to upgrade again.

EDIT/

Just dawned on me that the Wii itself (and the PS3) has been around for almost 2 years now. And the Xbox 360 for almost 3! Yet current games are far from taking full advantage of these hardware capacities. The PS2 for instance, was released in 2000, and up until last year new games were still coming out very oftenly pushing its limits with every new release (even the new Tomb Raider game is coming for PS2, in late 2008). Hardly abandoned, I'd say.

LisaB1962
24th Apr 2008, 16:53
I think the "short life span" argument is a bit weak. You can argue numbers all you want, but most "modern gadgets" have relatively short life spans. The iPod was launched in 2001. How many "originals" do you still think are being used?

And yes, I keep my old consoles. :cool:

Werner Von Croy
24th Apr 2008, 17:11
I am sorry to tell you this ... but the first TR was developed on the Playstation.

I am a PC gamer myself and the controls for the PS1 TR are completely alien to me. But we do not have any claim here. ;)

But wasn't it on Sega Saturn originally?:scratch:

KasigiYabuSama
25th Apr 2008, 06:40

?

'Dunno, but that's where I first played it. It's the only console I've kept, too, mostly because I have to play Mr. Bones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bones_(video_game)) once in awhile just to stay sane. Too bad that game hasn't gotten revitalized in some form - it was hilarious, RonMon's tunes were great, and the weapon of choice was a Strat from Ronnie's cabin. What more can a guy ask for? :D

Anyway, I can't believe anyone at CD would consider ditching the PC version of TR, and along with it a large chunk of their customer base.

GoranAgar
25th Apr 2008, 09:56
It was released first on the Sega Saturn. But the development happened on the Playstation enviroment.

Fickji
25th Apr 2008, 14:43
I origanally bought the computer(actually my dad bought it) to play Tomb Raider AND do homework.

I stayed with pc even though the playstation was out because the pc had better graphics. It still has better graphics if you can afford all the hardware gadgits to upgrade it every single year.

As I am cheap and broke I now use the pc to play the older games and get the consoles to play the newer games.

But when I buy a new computer three to four years from now that has better hardware I'll upgrade my game selection. For instinse, my computer is not capable to play TR Legend and onward. But I know in a few years of updating computers they will be and so I'll buy them for PC then.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have money to upgrade a computer it has a long life. If you don't its just easier buying a console.

I do agree with MouseNo4 about the wii having a limited life span. Its a gimic. I'll stick with my previous buying stragegy. Buy ps3 new, buy xbox360 and wii used 2 to 3 years later.

RUGRLN
25th Apr 2008, 15:43
Well, it was made for PS1 where Sony denied the grant to release the game quoting it wasn't good enough!:eek: But, I think they redeisnged so I guess it was for the best, nevertheless I've come to known TR as a PC game, yup just realised it wasn't now, and I do think it should be just as good and eaasy and worth it on the PC, as I believe the game sells more on PCs, if not mistaken..

EDIT
Also, from a press conference with the fans of TR, eidos/Cd actually said something that a high-end PC will be needed. That is BS...sorry. It's gna become like CRYSIS. No pc can play it, and having a PC play it is like a miracle [on high detail that is] they should accomodate for all PC users!

glisten
25th Apr 2008, 16:21
I too have played every level of every tombraider. Several years ago, the pundits were saying pc computer games were dead. Can't say for sure but I think the Tomb Raider series had a large part in keeping games coming to the PC.

If I were a game designer, I would feel pretty constrained by the console world. The high end PC's just pack so much more power. The game houses want to attract the best designers. The best designers will want to write for PC's. I have high hopes that this intent will keep PC games alive for quite a while.

And yes, I am lucky to have a totally kicking computer.

NightRain'06
25th Apr 2008, 17:48
EDIT
Also, from a press conference with the fans of TR, eidos/Cd actually said something that a high-end PC will be needed. That is BS...sorry. It's gna become like CRYSIS. No pc can play it, and having a PC play it is like a miracle [on high detail that is] they should accomodate for all PC users!

The past two games were lenient as far as Minimum system requirements. I was glad to test out the demos and they were playable on my current 2 year old desktop before purchasing them. I already knew on my system there would be stutters on some spots because it's not high-end but I didn't care. Enjoying the games were the point which I very much have.

For Underworld, on one hand, I wonder if it could stay that low because of the previous 2 games. The other hand, it probably won't be seeing as there were released information that the engines are built from scratch for everything. So my speculation is as far as the Underworld Minimal requirements go, it could be up there too. We'll have to wait for the PC demo to become available.

If they do manage to keep it low to some extent, that would be great for those who really can't shell out for basically a new system. I want a PC and a console version. However, I'll just stick with purchasing PS3 version when I find out the PC demo can't be played.

LaraLara
26th Apr 2008, 04:59
consoles last 2 years? if you're gonna rant at least do it with the correct info...

NightRain'06
26th Apr 2008, 05:31
LaraLara ~ Are you talking to me ?

Treeble
26th Apr 2008, 10:15
Nope. That's what's written on the post #3.

RinoTheBouncer
26th Apr 2008, 12:45
It was based on the PS1 and the earlier versions of TR1 was rejected by PS1 and was re edited ad re-released in 1996 on PS1 .. that's what was said on the Official Tomb Raider Documentary on my Special Edition Anniversary Pack

aussie500
26th Apr 2008, 13:30
l must have missed something somewhere, how has the Wii version got anything to do with the PC games? The Wii version gets extra features because it is more suited to that type of gameplay, just as the PSP versions had extra features, none of the features on the Wii would be suitable for a PC, which has no motion sensor capability, people are not going to be interested in constantly pressing 2 buttons for a few minutes just to uncover a glyph. Tomb Raider games till recently have always required the latest PC hardware, the PC l played Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on was incapable of playing Tomb Raider 3, l decided to buy a playstation at that point. l had to wait to get a new PC before l could play AOD. The latest AAA games do usually require fairly recent hardware to play them, been that way since PC's were first used for gaming, a fully next gen game is not going to play on a 5 year old PC. Many people prefer consoles because they know the game will play, no need to constantly be upgrading every time the next big Tomb Raider game comes out.

With only one game released on the Wii so far, l would hardly say Tomb Raider's new home is the Wii, Lara has been a playstation icon since Tomb Raider 1 in 1996, Tomb Raider might be available on more consoles these days, but many fans will stick with Sony's latest console as Lara's home.

NightRain'06
26th Apr 2008, 16:44
Nope. That's what's written on the post #3.

I see now. :o Thanks.

Doddie63
26th Apr 2008, 17:08
I originally started playing games on my PC, but everytime a new game came out I had to upgrade, either the picture or sound or both. Finally in exasperation I purchased a PS2 then a PS3 and haven't looked back. Now I am totally frustrated by the glitches in games. Guess I can't win. :mad2: