PDA

View Full Version : DX1 vs DX2 Playthroughs

DXeXodus
24th Apr 2008, 08:06
I'm interested to know how many times did you play DX1 through to the end compared to how many times you played DX2 through to the end?

Me personally:

A bit hazy on the original but:

DX1 - 15 times (Over 8 years)
DX2 - 3 Times

Thats quite a difference.... hopefully DX3 will lend itself to catching up with the amount I played the original :)

Kill Switch
24th Apr 2008, 09:11
I've through about this a lot too. :-\

Deus Ex- 8 times
Deus Ex 2- 2 times

Tracer Tong
24th Apr 2008, 10:32
I wish I had more time to play.... You guys are hardcore fans or something...

DX1: 3 times
DX2: 1 time (didn't even finish the game. The loading times were too horrible. Saw all of the ending cutscenes though)

But I can say the same thing about The Elder Scrolls:
Morrowind + 2 expansion packs: 3 times
Oblivion: 1.5 times (I got tired of it the second time)

jordan_a
24th Apr 2008, 11:03
DX: Once a year since the release thus 6 times, for 2008 I'm waiting for the HDTP.
DX:IW: Two times, the last was with John P's texture pack, but I really don't intend to play it one more time.

Blade_hunter
24th Apr 2008, 11:11
DX 1 each year or twice playthrough since 2002 I have buy this game a bit later because I never know this fabulous game before.
I wait like Jordan the HDTP and the unreal extension pack
DX 2 Once only because after playing this game I returned back to the original DX

DXeXodus
24th Apr 2008, 11:29
I think I played Morrowind about 5 times through and Oblivion Twice.... An interesting trend... mmmm :scratch:

gamer0004
24th Apr 2008, 16:30
DX: 10 to 15 times, not always finished the game though.
DX:IW: I guess 3 times.

GruntOwner
24th Apr 2008, 16:37
DX: not enough
IW: too many

O.m.a.r
24th Apr 2008, 18:11
DX:6-9 Loved
IW:4-5 Liked

Lucifer
24th Apr 2008, 18:19
Deus Ex : dont know extacly but about 20-30 times maybe more.I know everything in this game i know all maps all items places(secret places) almost everything...
Deus Ex 2 :2-3 times

rhalibus
24th Apr 2008, 22:05
DX1 - more times than I can count
DX2 - once, then again after tweaking the damage modifiers and interface font, then once more with the hi-res texture patch mod and a faster GFX card. The third time was actually enjoyable, and I began to appreciate some of the AI tweaks...

Gary_Savage
25th Apr 2008, 00:06
DX: 15-20 times (I have lost count).
Haven't played IW.

DXeXodus
25th Apr 2008, 07:12
So there we go Eidos Montreal: Hard evidence that the fans think DXIW sucked and DX was the sweet nectar of life which we hold so dear to our hearts. :rolleyes: So please make it true to the original and dont slap us in the face with a release like IW

Tracer Tong
25th Apr 2008, 10:13
So there we go Eidos Montreal: Hard evidence that the fans think DXIW sucked and DX was the sweet nectar of life which we hold so dear to our hearts. :rolleyes: So please make it true to the original and dont slap us in the face with a release like IW

QFT.

minus0ne
25th Apr 2008, 14:50
DX; Anywhere between 10 and 20 playthroughs.
IW; 2 playthroughs. One to be disappointed, and another one to be 100% sure it was disappointing... disappointing isn't it :(

AgentSmithereens
25th Apr 2008, 17:11
DX - I've started it hundreds of times, but only actually finished it about 25 times. When I didn't finish it, it was probably because I was doing a 1-life runthrough and died, the game crashed or I got bored/distracted.
DXIW - I've yet to finish this actually. When I first played it I got up to Cairo (how far into the game is that?) and I can't remember why I stopped, but it's probably because I thought it sucked. I really want to replay it but it doesn't work well on my computer, which is a pity.

Necros
25th Apr 2008, 18:05
Haven't played IW.
You should give it a shot. ;)

DX: More than 5 times to the end, that's for sure, a lot more when I didn't finish, don't know an exact number though.
DX2: Finished at least 3-4 times and a few more just playing around on a couple of maps.

Gizmostuff
25th Apr 2008, 18:22
Finished my 20th run of Deus Ex not too long ago...
Deus Ex IW Only 2 - doesn't run in Vista either (unless someone knows how, I prob won't play it again)

Tracer Tong
25th Apr 2008, 18:40
I think that I bought DX:IW when it was out but my GFX card wasn't good enough, so I ended up waiting and saving money until I actually bought one which supported bloom ( :lol: in hindsight ). That made me annoyed and probably got my interest in the game decay over time... That, and the loading times...:mad2:

Necros
25th Apr 2008, 18:48
That, and the loading times...:mad2:
The loading times? :confused: It's only a few seconds (around or less than 10) for me. I'm talking about the original game of course, with the texture pack it is longer (15-20, if I remember correctly), but I don't mind, it's not taking forever (like the Witcher...), so it's okay.

jordan_a
25th Apr 2008, 19:38
Loadings are way too long on DX:IW, they just kill the game. 15 to 20 seconds with John P's most important TP.

Tracer Tong
26th Apr 2008, 08:16
The loading times? :confused: It's only a few seconds (around or less than 10) for me. I'm talking about the original game of course, with the texture pack it is longer (15-20, if I remember correctly), but I don't mind, it's not taking forever (like the Witcher...), so it's okay.

First of all, we are talking about 2003 here. Not the computers that we have today. I also tried the TP but then loadings were over a minute per level. Over a minute! :mad2: Imagine you playing a tiny bit of DX:IW with 60 whole seconds of loading times...

Ghostdog
26th Apr 2008, 09:31
I wait like Jordan the HDTP and the unreal extension pack Is this something that´s under development? And what´s "the unreal extension pack"?

Fen
26th Apr 2008, 11:28
DX1 - 4 times
DX2 - never completed. the game frustrates me too much because of how inferior it is to its predecessor. I just cant have fun while playing.

-Nomad-
27th Apr 2008, 00:54
DX1 - 13 times all the way through (100+ times not finishing)
IW - 3 times, plus a lot of just screwing around. I liked IW, but DX1 made it seem like crap.

Gary_Savage
27th Apr 2008, 22:32
You should give it a shot. ;)

Couldn't even run the demo on a 3.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, with 1 GB RAM, and 128 MB of VRAM on an Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family; and I'm not buying without trying.

I'm waiting for the DX3 to come out, after which I will buy a new laptop, based on DX3's system requirements (much as I bought my current laptop to run DX1 properly, back in early 2003 -- although I had been running, albeit with poorer performance, on desktop since 2001).

jcp28
28th Apr 2008, 20:46
Deus Ex 1: 15 times
Deus Ex: IW 1, but I played near the end to get all the different endings, which was the biggest waste of 20 minutes I spent in a while.

DXeXodus
29th Apr 2008, 04:14
I have never used John P's texture pack.... Is it any good?

Tracer Tong
29th Apr 2008, 13:54
it sure makes loading slower... ruins game continuability

DXeXodus
30th Apr 2008, 08:34
I looked at some of the screenshots for the texture pack and the difference doesn't look that great... Maybe it is just because the images are static which sometimes doesnt portray the true quality. So, in terms of quality and not loading times, is it worth downloading?

gamer0004
1st May 2008, 17:09
I like the environment textures, however the character textures are crap (anyway, that's what I think). Koif's (http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx2/files/mods/) texture pack is better, but the environment textures are less good and I think that they don't cover all the textures. Never noticed any increase in loadfing times. It always takes a minimum amount of time for my pc. I guess it depends on how fast your computer is.

minus0ne
1st May 2008, 21:56
I really hope one of the DX 'augmentation projects' are going to be finished (at all). Whether it's New Vision, Project HDTP or Reborn (preferably all three of course). I have little to no hope for HDTP though, they should've never started redoing all character models and animations, although that's of course their prerogative and I should just be glad with anything they put out.

I've come to the point where I literally know the patrol route of every enemy, the position of every crate and every single xp exploration bonus or story permutation :D (or :( I guess).

Tracer Tong
2nd May 2008, 12:40
I took part in the development of Reborn, but after I joined the project came to an immediate halt. Seems that they've continued without notifying me. :(

...But now I am too busy to help that project...

HeliosHasSpoken2052
2nd May 2008, 18:46
Well I've played Deus Ex approximately twice a year since first discovering the game in 2003 so..... 10 times. I wait at least 6 months to play through the game again to savor the experience. I've played through Deus Ex: Invisible War probably 5 or 6 times. I just finished it several weeks ago and enjoyed it more than I ever have before.

Tttt
3rd May 2008, 16:51
DX1: ~10 times
DX2: 2 times

Yes DX1 was much funnier to play again, maby because there is more ways to do everything on. Play as a hacker/lowtech/heavy weapn/rifle/ect...

First time played through DX2 I took the overpowered stuff, like make the uber guard bot friendly. And I needed to play it though again without anything overpowered

Chemix
4th May 2008, 12:50
DX: 5 complete runs in 2-3 years 10 or so uncompleted runs
DX- IW: 1 complete run, never went back

B0b_P@ge
4th May 2008, 18:47
Dx: 6
Dx: IW: 2

jd10013
5th May 2008, 12:02
DX: so many times I couldn't count.
IW: played once before putting it away. I have gone back and played it 2 or three times since then.

jd10013
5th May 2008, 12:07
Couldn't even run the demo on a 3.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, with 1 GB RAM, and 128 MB of VRAM on an Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family; and I'm not buying without trying.

you just need a graphics card me thinks. I was able to play it on release with a 2.4ghz athlon xp2600, 500mb ram, and a 128gb Gforce Ti4200.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm pretty sure IW (and most current games) will require a dedicated, separate video card to work.

DXeXodus
5th May 2008, 12:51
I ran the game well with an AMD 3000+, 768Mb ram and a GeForce 7900GT with very quick load times. The Graphics card is what matters... If you have onboard your performance will suck

Tracer Tong
5th May 2008, 14:07
If you're going to want to play DX3 anytime in the future you should buy a graphics card. I suggest you buy one shortly after DX3 comes out and after one playthrough try playing DX:IW

Gary_Savage
5th May 2008, 16:11
That's just what I have in mind, as I mentioned here:

I will buy a new laptop, based on DX3's system requirements.
(Yeah, that's the same post the last three of you are replying to)

No sense in buying a card now, and then having to wait some more time (for upgrades to my computer), once DX3 comes out.

I might want to play IW before I play DX3, though, since I am hoping that DX3 will be more akin to DX, than IW.

jd10013
5th May 2008, 16:36
No sense in buying a card now, and then having to wait some more time (for upgrades to my computer), once DX3 comes out.

the spec's on your pc don't sound bad. you could probably buy a vid card that will play IW, and a lot of other games, for less than $20

Gary_Savage
5th May 2008, 16:46
Alas, my own computer is a Compaq Presario 2100... I just made sure it could play DX1 well, when I bought it in 2003. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I'm thinking of one of those Alienware laptops, right after DX3 comes out, because the HP, Dell, and other laptops that I generally see do not seem to be very good when it comes to games. I'll gladly look into any other vendor suggestions, of course.

DXeXodus
6th May 2008, 04:36
Laptops are great... but only for mobility purposes. The thing that always gets me about them though is that you practically pay twice as much for the same (if not worse) performance than a similar spec desktop PC. But if you really want a good gaming laptop then check this out...

http://computershopper.com/top-products/top_5_gaming_laptops

The ASUS gaming laptops are apparantly pretty good. :thumbsup:

Voltaire
6th May 2008, 14:18
Laptops are great...
http://computershopper.com/top-products/top_5_gaming_laptops

The ASUS gaming laptops are apparantly pretty good. :thumbsup:

I have a game-buddy with an ASUS, and it seems pretty good in terms of being a solid gaming machine. She'd certainly reccomend it :thumbsup:

Gary_Savage
8th May 2008, 01:03
Thanks for the recommendations.

...and yes, I need that mobility :D ...despite the ridiculous price tag. :mad2:

Dead-Eye
8th May 2008, 01:15
DX; Anywhere between 10 and 20 playthroughs.
IW; 2 playthroughs. One to be disappointed, and another one to be 100% sure it was disappointing... disappointing isn't it :(

Yeah too true.

DX: >16 times. Maybe even 20.

IW: first time I hated every moment of it.
The second with cheats to realize yes DX2 was that bad.
The last time I had a much better video card and I got augs that didn't suck, I kinda liked it. But this was after Deus Ex 3 was announced so maybe all that hatred for destroying the best damn game ever made was gone. But DX2 still killed the Deus Ex Movie.

Gary_Savage
8th May 2008, 01:21
But DX2 still killed the Deus Ex Movie.

I never realized that. It still would have been hard to create a satisfactory movie, given the amound of material in DX1, though, don't you thinK?

While I would, personally, be happy with a movie with just the Hong Kong part, I would definitely be disappointed with a cliff-hanger ending.

DXeXodus
12th May 2008, 07:03
I think there is potential for a great movie based on DX, it wouldn't be easy to do, but under the right supervision it could be solid gold

Ghostdog
12th May 2008, 16:14
I think there is potential for a great movie based on DX, it wouldn't be easy to do, but under the right supervision it could be solid gold
But that´s the problem isn´t it, "under the right supervision". The risk of a movie being ****ed up by Hollywood are pretty high I think.

Ghostdog
12th May 2008, 16:16
Hahaa, that´s right; "fingerwaived" by Hollywood.

jcp28
12th May 2008, 20:54
Yeah, just remember Doom if you don't think a DX movie could be screwed up somehow. They'd probably just simplify the complex story down to nothing.

DXeXodus
13th May 2008, 04:28
You mean the Doom movie where they made it everything except DOOM? Yes, I remember that quite vividly. Don't worry, I'm not here to advocate a Deus Ex movie. But how happy I would be if there had to be a good one.... I mean a really good one.

You know, come to think of it, I thought Hitman was a pretty good game to movie adaption. But that's a much simpler story.

Voltaire
13th May 2008, 15:37
Wow! A DX movie! Cool!

Castlist:
JC Denton - The Rock
Gunther Hermann - Arnie
Manderley - Sir Ian McEllen
Alex Jacobson - Shia LaBoeuf
Paul Denton - Vin Diesel

Or, um, maybe not :whistle:

Ooh, but seriously, Matthew Fox as JC, there's a smarter match.

Ghostdog
13th May 2008, 16:31
Well if they had a good script and a producer and director that wanted to really respect the games and not do just a Hollywood cash-cow, then why not? But it just feels that too much could go wrong and the fans would be left with something terrible.

DXeXodus
14th May 2008, 04:02
Well if they had a good script and a producer and director that wanted to really respect the games and not do just a Hollywood cash-cow, then why not? But it just feels that too much could go wrong and the fans would be left with something terrible.

Agreed. It will be touch and go as to whether they would do it right. Well, I just hope that if they do it then it rocks!

How did we get so far off topic :scratch:

xvxNe0xvx
15th May 2008, 15:46
DX1: 6-8 fully
DX2: 2 fully ... started MANY times thinking i need to give it another shot but hardly ever get past the second area losing interest.

DXeXodus
16th May 2008, 04:38
Ok, so I've done some rough number crunching and it appears that based on 22 peoples playthrough comparisons that DX1 has been played an average of 6.5 times more than DX2 through to the end by the people who posted in this thread. :thumbsup:

Now come on Eidos Montreal - the bars are set. There is one high bar and one low bar, so try jump over them both. Or atleast make it 6.5 : 1 : 6.5 - which basically means as good and replayable as DX1 :nut:

Hope that makes sense