PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will It Last?

LaraCroftRox
22nd Apr 2008, 14:34
Heya! Does anyone know how long Tomb Raider will last? :scratch: I hope there's like 20 more games but that's just a fantasy.... (Wishfull Thinking):lmao:

Laterz Tomb Raiderz! :D

Mangar The Dark
22nd Apr 2008, 17:27
Short answer-- As long as it continues to bring in a profit, they'll keep making them.

As of now, nobody knows a specific answer to your question. But TR is a cashcow for Eidos, so they won't be willing to give it up anytime soon. Eventually, the popularity will dwindle, or another franchise will become so much more popular that Eidos will choose to focus its efforts in that direction and allocate fewer resources to TR.

Lo
22nd Apr 2008, 18:35
I guess that most games have a shelf life, sadly. Would it be realistic or possible to have a never-ending story? As much as I would like to see a continuation of the games, I guess running out of locations could be an issue and people may tire of the concept. Lara Croft is primarily a raider of tombs but how many more are there to uncover? ;)

That said, thank heavens for Level Editor and all the custom made levels - I look forward to being able to download some when I get Broadband. I've already had one done for me (TITAK's Himilayan levels), and they were brilliant levels to play.

So even if the franchise comes to an end, hopefully fans will continue to create new levels for us staunch old-skoolers to enjoy. :thumbsup:

Phlip
22nd Apr 2008, 19:23
As it says in the Gametap doc, "If James Bond's lasted 40 years in the film industry..." (Forgot the rest.) But if that's true, then Lara Croft will last a very long time.

Mangar The Dark
22nd Apr 2008, 19:43
I guess that most games have a shelf life, sadly.

Hey, they still churn out the occasional Pac-Man and Frogger game, and those go back to the early 1980s, so I guess TR could live on. But I do agree with you that they may start to run out of ideas. Actually, I think Core was on to a good idea with AOD-- taking the character and putting her into a new type of situation to keep things fresh. It's a shame it wasn't executed better because I really think that could be the way to keep the series (or at least the character) going once the actual tomb raiding starts to get stale.

Lo
22nd Apr 2008, 20:10
Good point Mangar.

I guess they were a bit previous in calling the game 'Tomb Raider' seeing as there were no tombs in AoD :D But I love the different environments and would get seriously bored of just exploring tombs the whole time.

I'd be happy if they opted for complete stories - a different one upon each release. And you're right, a lot of older games are still being bought so who knows? It would be a shame if the franchise discontinued :(

Fickji
22nd Apr 2008, 23:19
It may go on hiatus but eventually some enterprising young person will decide to bring back the series and remake the older games with better graphics.

As the study of old dead things never truelly gets old she'll probably be around as long as James Bond or as long as the game developers keep her young...

Didn't AOD have that place under the Louve that was an archialogy dig? I don't know as I haven't gotten to that part yet. I actually like it its not too bad.

(I'm a cheater, I cheat on AOD):D

Jezyk
23rd Apr 2008, 11:46
Well, if they run out of ideas they can always do a remake of TR2, and TR3 perhaps... ;)

Spong
23rd Apr 2008, 14:13
Fifty billion years?
A week? Who knows?
That's why we should enjoy what we've got now.

But I'd go with Jezyk's comments. Even though Anniversary was a disappointment, I'd happily play remakes of all the other old-skool Raiders.

Lo
23rd Apr 2008, 15:56
@ Spong,

Even if it means playing only half a game? :o I'm not sure I'd rush out to buy any remakes if they were going to be as limited in gameplay as Anniversary appears to be so far. Then again, you can work the controls, I can't, which only doubles the frustration for me. If I could play the newer games in the older style of controls I might consider it but I'm struggling to feel 'familiar' with the environments in Anniversary.

The moment I stepped beyond the gates in the opening level I didn't think "Oh how nice it feels to be back but with greater visuals and textures". I actually found myself recognising very little from TR1. I was in a cave that had a broken bridge, ledges high up, poles to jump to and from....nothing remotely resemblant of TR1 - except for the wolf enclosure perhaps.

So far it's like watching a bad remake of a classic such as Gone with the Wind - minus two hours of reel, none of the colourful Southern backdrops, atmosphere and element of surprise. :(

angerzXraider
21st May 2008, 11:00
I'm pretty sure all of us here on the forum would be devastated if the Lara Croft Tomb Raider series were to discontinue. Seeing as we all give up hours to write about her adventures on this forum.

I say we all protest against buying Eidos Crystal Dynamics games if they do stop making TR. lol:mad2:

angerzXraider
21st May 2008, 11:01
I'm pretty sure all of us here on the forum would be devastated if the Lara Croft Tomb Raider series were to discontinue. Seeing as we all give up hours to write about her adventures on this forum.

I say we all protest against buying Eidos Crystal Dynamics games if they do stop making TR. lol:mad2:
Unless its like 20 years from now, Ill most likely be dead, and I wont care. haha

Rai
21st May 2008, 11:27

Unless its like 20 years from now, Ill most likely be dead, and I wont care. haha

Wow, you think you'll most likely be dead in 20 years?:eek: I've seen your other posts where you said you started playing Tomb Raider aged 6 - so you're what? 17? In 20 years, you'll only be 37 :D . I'm guessing you're joking. ;) ;)

As for me: I sincerely hope to still be alive in 20 years and I'm waay older n you! And if the Tomb Raider franchise is still going, I'll still be playing. Or I'll be playing really old games and still loving them, so long as they're not too worn out. :D

I truly hope Eidos/CD don't stop making the games, not for a loong time yet. I agree with everyone who says that as long as the money keeps raking in and the games continue to be popular, they'll keep making them. That and the ideas don't dry up. The world is a large place. It could take a loong time to explore all of it. *crosses fingers* ;)

Laura_Cross
21st May 2008, 14:28
As long as it can :cool: and as long as they keep it fresh. If they keep making them I'll keep buying them, they're pretty much the only games I play. :D

TDK
21st May 2008, 16:31
another 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 year :D