PDA

View Full Version : Mapping systems, available images

Voltaire
19th Apr 2008, 14:14
I'm not sure about you guys, but I think that the visible mapping system should be more advanced in this game should be more sophisticated than the original.

I grew up playing games like Duke Nukem 3D and Dark Forces, FPSs that had a "you are here" style map available at the touch of a button (tab :) ) I think that this could be implemented at least partially into DX3

In DX1 for example, you got the occasional satellite photo of your location, along with the rest of the images, to help you with missions. You'll excuse me if I say that with some maps, especially towards the end of the game, I got kinda lost...

A simple line map of the nearby corridors and hallways would be helpful, and technologically not beyond the 3Drealms of possibility (especially if it's a sequel). It could even be passed off as an Aug, like a sonar ability or something, with better and better degrees of accuracy.

I don't know.
Maybe I'm just slow, but I think that a feature like this might be a good idea. Any thoughts?

Larington
19th Apr 2008, 16:22
I always did like the top down map display in System Shock 2, don't tend to use it now though because I know the layout of the two ships too well.

minus0ne
19th Apr 2008, 18:55
If it's optional, fine. They could tie it to the difficulty setting and allow real time 'hand holding' like that for the easier difficulty setting, perhaps with a FoW. I'd like to be able to turn it off though.

GruntOwner
19th Apr 2008, 21:14
I'd like it as an optional on many missions. Not XP granting, otherwise the map isn't it's own reward, but maybe a possibilty. There might be a sniper in an awkwardly placed crane with a map of the area highlighting key traps or bot patrol routes. Sometimes it would be nice to have them handed to you for free, ar an NPC who you were nice to earlier should give you a rough idea, but for the most part make them something to do a bit of work for. I'm not saying they should have a map for every level, otherwise they would just become part of the routine, and having a mini map would just be too FPSy and take away some of the tension/shock. An aug to do it would be strange to justify, and I think it was probably the original purpose of the scout drone before they became Bot-Be-Gone. Basically as long as it isn't for free, isn't repetitive and is balanced against the effort to get them, I'm all for it.

Dead-Eye
20th Apr 2008, 07:43
This could easily be acceptable to me. We already have google earth this could just be google earth with benefits.

Blade_hunter
20th Apr 2008, 09:56
In deus ex I never need a map to guide me in the game, I used the map in the pictures menu like a real map.
A map like SS2 can be useful if someone wants one, not a fully revealed map but a map that reveals where you are explored and the locations where you never go aren't revealed, it should be fine,
In SS2 I always used the map because the decorations are the same in DX we have much variety, and this is the fact I never used the maps.

Nathan2000
20th Apr 2008, 11:15
In DX1 for example, you got the occasional satellite photo of your location, along with the rest of the images, to help you with missions. You'll excuse me if I say that with some maps, especially towards the end of the game, I got kinda lost...

I had that problem as well. I was trying to match the areas I can see with the map, but I often failed. Area 51 (sector 3) is a perfect example. It was a tangle of green lines. I'd be good if the maps had a label showing you where you came from. Additional markers are unnecessary, IMO.

The devs in Ion Storm didn't use the System Shock-style automap on purpose. Quoting them:

No "automaps." If JC got a hand sketched map on a bar napkin, he can view the napkin.

Tracer Tong
20th Apr 2008, 18:47
Ruins realistic gameplay. The DX1 map infolink receiving was great.

Apollonius
15th May 2008, 06:24
Infolink was great, but it woulda been nice if the game would let me save while the info link was on :P but i'm just nit-picking.

DXeXodus
15th May 2008, 07:56
A mini map could be nice in a sense, but, as mentioned above, it should be optional or hard-wired into some form of augmentation. I liked the way that DX1 did it, it was alot more realistic in the sense that it was a real map and real style plans of buildings. I think I find it quite alot easier to read the maps now due to a combination of the facts that I have played the game alot and I am an architect.

So, include it by all means, but allow us to switch it off and read conventional maps :)