PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else read the article in Game Informer?

Mangar The Dark
18th Apr 2008, 19:08
There's an article in this month's Game Informer in which they ask various game designers how they would design certain games. At one point, they ask Ken Wanat (I think that's his name... I don't have the article in front of me right now) how he would design a Tomb Raider game.

He goes on to describe how the game would open with a shot of the bedroom, Lara's lingerie on the floor, clearly having just had sex with some guy. Then the camera moves into the bathroom, and we see Lara in the shower. Suddenly, the door gets bashed in, Lara jumps out of the shower grabs her guns, and the gamer begins to control a completely naked Lara as she shoots at the intruders.

All I can say is, I'm sure glad this guy is NOT designing Tomb Raider Underworld! If anyone else read the article, what were your thoughts on his ideas?

rabid metro
19th Apr 2008, 07:21
i'm not familiar with the afore-mentioned article, however ...
the concept sounds similar to the Tomb Raider re\Visioned project over at GameTap.
for example, what should you expect when you ask the Kim Possible cartoonist to create a Lara storyline?
the work can be entertaining ...
i'm glad that Tomb Raider development is in intelligent hands.
:cool:

naraku
19th Apr 2008, 08:13
Yes, Well actually I was going to make a thread about this, but decided not to. Whenever I post something regarding Game Informer articles no one seems to care. I was replaying Metal Gear Solid 2 "Son's of Liberty" There is a scene where Raiden gets striped of his gear and runs around naked. When I read the Game Informer article I felt a "been there done that" kind of thing. In MGS2 it sorta fits the top secret spy being interrogated and stripped down kind of way I just don't see it doing Tomb Raider any good. TR is just not that kind of game. When Raiden ran around and all he could do is hold his crotch and show me his bony butt I got so frustrated. :mad2: :mad2:

LisaB1962
19th Apr 2008, 12:40
That's just sick and wrong. :eek:

BitShifter
19th Apr 2008, 13:04
Definition of gratuitous: put there to titillate without being called for by a script, so as to cause people to buy it for the t1ts and not for itself.

I have no difficulties having Lady Lara Croft romp around nude it it falls into the script. There are ways to suggest without showing. To wit, Beowulf in the film and Ripley near disrobing in the Alien movie.

I would take exception to cheapizing the whole thing for spurious interests. Besides, I know there are hackers out there trying their best to get Lara's naked meshes.

Randy 54
19th Apr 2008, 13:27
The day they dishonor Tomb Raider by making it something that it wasn't meant to be is the day that I stop buying them.............period!

LaraLara
20th Apr 2008, 17:20
That's just sick and wrong. :eek:

I completely agree with you!

LaraCroftRox
21st Apr 2008, 10:21
OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Werner Von Croy
21st Apr 2008, 10:46
It's called Lara Croft Tomb Raider Underworld not Lara does Dallas **** What an Idiot that guy is

Lo
21st Apr 2008, 11:31
There is absolutely no justification for parading Lara around unclothed.

It's a precedent I for one would not like to see set any time soon.

Lara is sexy for all the right reasons in my eye. She's intelligent, organised, determined, opinionated, sassy, savvy and athletic in terms of physical attributes. But keep her physical assets under wraps I say.

I personally am sick to death of men sexualising women in games and everywhere else for that matter. I'm no feminist but let me give you an example of how irritating it is...

Pick up your average newspaper and read any two articles. One involving a woman and the other, a man.

At no time will you have the prefix 'Handsome' when they write about a man. But read an article about a woman and you'll see 'Stunning brunette, Joanne Bloggs...' or 'The pretty teenager from Harlow' or 'Curvy Michelle...' :rolleyes:

I rest my case. ****

quick-cookie
21st Apr 2008, 15:12
HAHAHA! dude its Tomb raider not Nude raider...

And it is true they do write "the beautiful Sara" and so on, but i guess if u read a (male)gay magazine they write "the smexy Orlando" aso...

But then again is it wrong to compliment someone for their looks?

Lo
21st Apr 2008, 19:12
Complimenting someone on their looks has it's place. When you are writing an article about some tragedy, do you not think it trivialises the victim when the author has to resort to personal comments regarding appearance?

It detracts from the seriousness of the article in my opinion.

Honestly, if there is a story involving a not so attractive larger woman, she has to be labelled as 'voluptuous' or 'Bubbly'. There's no need for it.

It's judgemental. Not to mention intrusive, irrelevant and insulting, particularly as it's women who are targetted and not often guys.