PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Contest!

Alexio
18th Apr 2008, 08:26
Hello all!

I would like you all to view this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw3c1M8Ozd4

We at http://www.dxalpha.com are holding a competition for the best map/mod produced in less than a month. We're offering a small cash prize. So, for those familiar with Unreal Editor and Unreal Script for Unreal Engine 1, please participate or help us advertise this competition!

The contest will be taking place at:
http://www.dxalpha.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=135

Information about the contest:
http://www.dxalpha.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12710

Kaidan
18th Apr 2008, 08:38
Nice bit of money as the prize, strongly urge anyone with experience in Unreal to try out, and if you don't have any, have a look around anyway.

Goodluck!

auric
21st Apr 2008, 02:41
Why don't we have our own contest (no price but fun)
How fast we can finish a game, with given conditions like
- No violence (KO or leave them standing)
- Blood bath
- Ignore everyone & everything, except those that gives u the primary missions
- etc.
:)

Kaidan
24th Apr 2008, 12:11
Perhaps see how little you can kill xD. I think if you pick the right ending you only have to kill #2 people in the whole game.

auric
24th Apr 2008, 12:49
who r those 2?

& if we can avoid side killings when blowing up the generator & scuttling the freighter :)

imported_van_HellSing
24th Apr 2008, 19:10
Actually, the only absolutely necessary kill is Howard Strong. As for the second one, I suspect Kaidan thought of Anna at the second showdown with her, but you can actually keep her alive through that and still leave the UNATCO HQ.

auric
24th Apr 2008, 21:37
Actually, the only absolutely necessary kill is Howard Strong. As for the second one, I suspect Kaidan thought of Anna at the second showdown with her, but you can actually keep her alive through that and still leave the UNATCO HQ.

Who's Kaidan?

& how do you get out with Anna alive?

imported_van_HellSing
24th Apr 2008, 22:14
Kaidan is the poster above who wrote that two kills are necessary ;)

As for Anna, you have to damage her enough that she starts running and opens the door on her way.

Or, if you feel like a prankster you can block and ignore Anna and baton Alex into opening the door instead :P

Also, seems I was wrong about Strong, you can tranq him rather than kill. I could swear I read somewhere this was not possible :scratch:

So, a 100% no kill game seems entirely possible.

auric
24th Apr 2008, 22:25
Kaidan is the poster above who wrote that two kills are necessary ;)

As for Anna, you have to damage her enough that she starts running and opens the door on her way.

Or, if you feel like a prankster you can block and ignore Anna and baton Alex into opening the door instead :P

Also, seems I was wrong about Strong, you can tranq him rather than kill. I could swear I read somewhere this was not possible :scratch:

So, a 100% no kill game seems entirely possible.

It should be, I recall the creators of the game determined it to be possible.
The same was claimed for part 2, but I'm not sure about that. :)

If we baton Alex, do we see him in Hong Kong again?
:D

imported_van_HellSing
24th Apr 2008, 22:43
Well, the devs didn't actually plan for the Anna workaround, the game still considers her dead even if you use the above method and not kill her (Gunther's still mad at you for killing her etc).

auric
24th Apr 2008, 23:27
Well, the devs didn't actually plan for the Anna workaround, the game still considers her dead even if you use the above method and not kill her (Gunther's still mad at you for killing her etc).

It'll be nice to have them still live.
Imagine, irritating them every chance we get, always tried to kill us but failed & we let them live on to grumble about it.
:D

Gary_Savage
25th Apr 2008, 00:11

I have tranqed Howard Strong, then used the high jump aug (sorry, forgot its real name) to get up to his platform, to loot him; so it should be possible to carry his unconscious being outside the silo, so it does not burn when the rocket launches.

auric
25th Apr 2008, 07:33
I have tranqed Howard Strong, then used the high jump aug (sorry, forgot its real name) to get up to his platform, to loot him; so it should be possible to carry his unconscious being outside the silo, so it does not burn when the rocket launches.

That's the 'Speed Aug"

gamer0004
25th Apr 2008, 08:56
It's possible without the Spped aug too, btw.

auric
30th Apr 2008, 08:55
If we don't want to kill or arm people to kill & not consider as a kill even though we KO them, good people will die.

JoJo, if we don't kill him & not arm Mr Renton, JoJo will kill the Rentons, i'm surprise Paul allowed him to do that.

And Paul will die, unless we can keep an eye on him while he kill every Unatco around us.

imported_van_HellSing
30th Apr 2008, 12:57
Paul is invincible at the hotel. He only dies if you leave through the window.

Voltaire
30th Apr 2008, 14:38
JoJo doesn't have to be killed. If he is tazered/darted, he doesn't kill the Rentons, but Sandra runs away. The point of this decision piece is basically to say to the gamer "Open your mind". If anyone has read/seen the Arthur Miller play A View From The Bridge, they will know that there is no such thing in the world as absolute justice i.e. sometimes things have to be compromised. In this instance, arming a civilian seems like the lesser of two evils, yet less "morally correct" than non-lethally taking down JoJo yourself.

Choices of action here (in reverse order of how morally acceptable they are in JC's position):
1) Do nothing - Rentons die
2) Arm Mr Renton - Rentons live and are happy
3) Non-lethally take down JoJo - Rentons live and are unhappy

The "best" option here seems to be one that is morally dubious, a lesson that kinda applies throughout the DX ideology.

Gary_Savage
30th Apr 2008, 14:43
I read somewhere that you can arm Mr. Renton with your cross-bow (I think, by dumping all other weapons, BEFORE talking to him). That way, he gets to take out JoJo in a non-lethal way, and the Rentons live happily.

Voltaire
30th Apr 2008, 14:46
I read somewhere that you can arm Mr. Renton with your cross-bow (I think, by dumping all other weapons, BEFORE talking to him). That way, he gets to take out JoJo in a non-lethal way, and the Rentons live happily.

Now that changes things. It is still morally questionable to arm him in the first place, but we agree at least that a non-lethal solution is probably needed here.

EDIT: What is that guy's name? I keep calling him "Mr Renton" like he's a Matrix agent or something...

auric
30th Apr 2008, 18:57
Now that changes things. It is still morally questionable to arm him in the first place, but we agree at least that a non-lethal solution is probably needed here.

EDIT: What is that guy's name? I keep calling him "Mr Renton" like he's a Matrix agent or something...

He's name is Gilbert Renton

When I realise we may give more than just Pistols/Stealth P.
I was just picturing JC said to him, "You can have my Plasma gun" :D

Anyway, arming Mr. Renton & KO Jo Jo still considers him dead, well at least JC didn't deny that he's dead or not when someone assumes so.

Ok I've tested each weapon & the flow goes like this
Pistol - Stealth Pistol - Knife - MiniCrossbow

I guess this is like all ment to kill, assuming u didn't arm the Crossbow with tranquilizer.

After the Crossbow, JC won't give anything else, not even the Baton or Stunprod.

JC Denton: "I'm not carrying anything you could use effectively."
Sandra Renton: "If JoJo finds out someone with the Feds is here, you're dead."
Gilbert Renton: "What am I going to do?"
JC Denton: "Besides, it's against the law for civilians to carry weapons."
Gilbert Renton: "Tell that to the gangsters."

If only the dialogs say he will be taken to prison or something if we KO him.

Anyway, what I like about in DX of the Rentons was finding Sandra in another location much later. :)
It was so cool the feeling of such an event occuring in the game. I forgot what I did that time when I first play.
When I first play I also did like the movies, went out the window as people burst in the room while someone (Paul) stay back to fight.
At that time, I didn't fully realise there are other paths to take, such a concept in a shooter game haven't reach me yet.

Usually in other games under the same circumstances, we are suppose to take the window.