PDA

View Full Version : Characters and outfits

herothing11
16th Apr 2008, 17:11
Hi, i have just started this creating and would like to know how to make and play as your own characters, i have been searching trsearch and i dont understand how this is done exactly, can someone plz help me. Also i have problems craeting a level because it says when i try to put in a door something to do with check neighbours

GeorgeMaciver
16th Apr 2008, 21:58
Hi, I'd recommend working through the Official Manual and build the tutorial level step by step. There is an online version of it here:

http://www.skribblerz.com/tuts/trleintro.htm

:)

herothing11
17th Apr 2008, 09:07
ok that looks good, thanks a lot

herothing11
17th Apr 2008, 11:36
also, the tutorial looks good but now, it doesnt say how to place someone elses character into a created level.

GeorgeMaciver
17th Apr 2008, 11:51
No, it doesn't, it's just a basic tutorial that teaches you the . . . ta da . . . basics :D

If you try to jump straight into messing with customised objects and customised WADs without learning the basics I'm afraid your adventure into the world of the Level Editor will quickly turn into a nightmare. I'd say it takes about 2 - 3 months to work through the manual properly and learn the rudiments.

However, if you're totally committed to diving straight into the deep end before you can swim, check out all the other tutorials there. You will need WADmerger :eek:

herothing11
17th Apr 2008, 12:22
ok, thanks for your help

herothing11
17th Apr 2008, 13:16
something is wrong with that tutorial, i have done everything it says, and when it comes up to try my level, it comes up with the original tutorial level. I see what you mean now. I have followed the tutorial step by step and the default tutorial level is still there instead of starting with my room. PLease help me

herothing11
20th Apr 2008, 11:25
Hi, ive designed my whole level but i dont quite know how to get a Wad file, plz can someone help me and also can you tell me how to start the level without the pistols in the inventory!!!

GeorgeMaciver
20th Apr 2008, 21:08
You can disable weapons in the new game engine but as this new editor is brand new I've not got my head around much of it yet so can't help you on that. You could use a young Lara object but then you wouldn't have weapons for the whole level.

As to WAD file, I'm not sure what you mean. Your WAD files are in your graphics folder. You shouldn't need to touch them for anything.

herothing11
21st Apr 2008, 06:20
ok, thanks again!

bedazzled
21st Apr 2008, 14:53
Using the new game engine you disable lara's use of weapons by setting a trigger for this flipeffect in the set trigger type window, the weapons are still shown in the inventory but she can't use them.

http://www.laras-workshop.co.uk/weapons.jpg

and to enable them again set a trigger for this flipeffect.
http://www.laras-workshop.co.uk/weapons2.jpg

You must then select them from the inventory before you can use them again.

herothing11
24th Apr 2008, 18:03
kwl, thanks a lot

herothing11
26th Apr 2008, 06:49
can i just ask.... what is tha engine?:confused:

GeorgeMaciver
26th Apr 2008, 07:09
Hi the Tomb Raider Level Editor and game engine has been rereleased by Paolone, with many enhancements and a new engine. An engine is what drives a game, much like an engine in a car :)

herothing11
27th Apr 2008, 15:12
ok, ive got my head round everything i need now, but i want to know one more thing.
I downloaded a character for the von croy slot but i do not know how to make him follow my character around. Plz can you help me again.:mad2:

GeorgeMaciver
27th Apr 2008, 17:15
Er, if you're brand new to level building, this may cause you problems. You might find it easier to use a Guide slot object rather than a Von Croy slot object simply because the Guide slot is much easier to set up and there's a tutorial on it here:

http://www.skribblerz.com/tuts/guide.htm

If you want to use Von Croy, you will have to download the Angkor Wat files and study the setup from that. Not easy.