PDA

View Full Version : Thief 2 states it is not compatible with my video card?

nepa
13th Apr 2008, 13:47
Really strange problem with Thief 2. I installed the game and played a few levels and now when I try and play the game I get the error message the my vid card is not compatible? I did not change anything on my system and now it syas it won't work WTF? My vid card is an ATI Radeon X1950 pro which should be plenty good to play Thief 2 considering I was playing it just fine yesterday. Any suggestions? I checked the hardware acceleration and it is at full so that is not the issue. This is the buggiest old game that I have ever had the joy of replaying. Had less problems with it back when it came out using a much much less powerful PC. I tried the compatibility mode at Win 59, Win98. edited the line in the user.cfg as suggested on another post. I am ata loss here. How can something work fine and then suddenly not work ehen nothing has changed. i just tried updating my vid driver and it made no difference same error message.. Ideas?

nepa
13th Apr 2008, 13:50
here is my DXdiag info.. No problems that i can see?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/13/2008, 08:22:39
Machine name: WEEN
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model: MS-7125
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 467MB used, 3978MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Radeon X1950 Pro
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7280)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7280&SUBSYS_0B121002&REV_00
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
{EDITED}

Peter_Smith
13th Apr 2008, 16:55
That is just a little too much information to absorb.:eek: I suggest you edit the last post and replace it with a simple description of your components (mainly CPU, video card, and video card driver versions) plus the OS.

The 1950 Pro is a great card for running Thief 2. There are three things, sometimes four, one generally has to do to get Thief 2 to work on a modern computer.

1. Make Thief run on only one processor. Test it with Process Manager / Processes tab, right click on thief2.exe, and set its affinity to one CPU. Then make a backup of your EXE and make it permanent using imagecfg.
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/guides/hyperthreading/

2. Register the Indeo codecs so movies play reliably. In rare cases this must be repeated before each execution.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#movies

3. If you have an Nvidia video card (I know you don't), edit USER.CFG and remove the semicolon from the line
;safe_texture_manager

After you get it working, consider installing the DDFIX patch for 32 bit rendering and no resolution switching with menus and books.
http://timeslip.chorrol.com/ddfix.html

4. For some very recent Nvidia cards (e.g., 8800 GT), you have to install DDFIX before it will run. DDFIX also has an option to take care of the Indeo codec registration, and it automatically takes care of the affinity, so it is a good way to go. If you have issues with DDFIX, there may be solutions posted at TTLG:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117616

I am going to make these notes into a sticky thread.

Please post back and let us know if this works.

Peter_Smith
13th Apr 2008, 19:51
OK, I made the above and quite a bit of other information into a new sticky thread.

I realize that I did not answer your question about the card working one minute and not the next. I can't explain that. Did you install a new driver? Try installing Cat 8.1 or later, look at the items in my sticky thread, and report back.