PDA

View Full Version : Who's Sticking Around For The New Thief If This Sucks?

AaronJ
12th Apr 2008, 01:19
Just asking, if Deus Ex 3 turns out to be bad, will anyone stick around and wait for the new Thief?

Vasarto
12th Apr 2008, 03:13
Just asking, if Deus Ex 3 turns out to be bad, will anyone stick around and wait for the new Thief?
Never played theif...so...no I won't!:rasp:

minus0ne
12th Apr 2008, 11:47
Definately. Thief 4 could be pure gold (heh) just like DX3. And if DX3 sucks, I'll be needing something else to play for sure ;)

Unstoppable
12th Apr 2008, 16:19
Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 will not suck. They will at least be above average games and are being developed to be AAA games. Which means a score of 8.5 or above.

jordan_a
12th Apr 2008, 16:40
Which means a score of 8.5 or above.
Which means nothing, I've seen tens (hundreds?) of useless and desperately stupid games get marks above 8 on the Internet or magazines.

Larington
12th Apr 2008, 16:55
Since the core gameplay of the two are very different from eachother (Thief series is all about sneaking and stealing, whereas DX series merely supports/encourages it) I see no reason why one can't be great merely because the other isn't.

Besides, it may simply be a matter of personal taste, I enjoy both types of gameplay immensely, but I enjoy DX gameplay far more (Greater variety), conversely I tend to hate sports games, though Wii sports was rather fun partly because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

LordCarnage
12th Apr 2008, 18:46
No way will this suck! Especially compared to Thief 4 - if its even coming out.
I will admit, the last Deus Ex wasn't the best game ever, but Thief 3 wasn't something to write home about either.

At the end of the day, both games were only enjoyed by people who wanted to get the rest of the story lines, but as a fan of both series, Deus Ex2 just seemed alot better then Thief 3, longer as well. :cool: - JC Denton emoticon, cool...

Tracer Tong
13th Apr 2008, 18:06
EA bribed Gamespot reviewers to rate C&C3 9.6, it sucked.

Ghostdog
13th Apr 2008, 19:50
Was Thief 4 even confirmed yet?

Kneo24
13th Apr 2008, 21:31
Well, after the debacle of Kane and Lynch, where the PC users got shafted with no patch, if this game is terrible, I won't buy another game with the Eidos tag on it.

Vasarto
13th Apr 2008, 22:45
So whats theif all about anyway? I think I might have heard about it before but I don't know anything about it!

minus0ne
14th Apr 2008, 00:03
So whats theif all about anyway? I think I might have heard about it before but I don't know anything about it!
That's twice you wrote "theif" instead of "thief" ;) Anyway read some reviews, it's a great stealth thievin' series, as the name implies. It takes place in an alternative Victiorian age combined with some steampunk. You basically play a master thief who gets embroiled in all the wrong (but profitable) things and ends up having to save the day. Thief 1 and 2 are excellent games, albeit unplayable on an LCD monitor (unless it has some really good black levels) sadly. TDS is a gorgeous if not somewhat simpler game, but very much worth playing regardless.

If that doesn't sell it, Warren Spector also briefly worked on Thief The Dark Project. It's a series any Looking Glass/Ion Storm fan ought to have played... a dozen times (all games have a very high replay value since they're pretty hard on the highest difficulty).

Dave W
14th Apr 2008, 10:56
Well, after the debacle of Kane and Lynch, where the PC users got shafted with no patch, if this game is terrible, I won't buy another game with the Eidos tag on it.

Yeah, because IO Interactive is the same part of Eidos as Eidos Montreal isn't it?

AaronJ
14th Apr 2008, 17:12
Which means nothing, I've seen tens (hundreds?) of useless and desperately stupid games get marks above 8 on the Internet or magazines.

I agree. See "Halo"

Kneo24
14th Apr 2008, 20:05
Yeah, because IO Interactive is the same part of Eidos as Eidos Montreal isn't it?

You're missing the point. They're part of the same company in a sense that Eidos put their name on the box. We actually have no idea why a patch wasn't released, and one could only speculate. The only thing we can look at is a.) terrible customer service regarding the issue, b.) no official apology or statement from Eidos on the issue (points back to terrible customer service, c.) part of the same company.

There's a point where the whole company is just as guilty for one studio's doing because Eidos slapped their label on the game. It's been five? Six? months with no patch. Not a single patch. Most PC users can't even play the game in a working manner.

I personally refuse to put my name on shoddy workmanship. If it's broke, I fix it, and do so with a great deal of care to make sure it's quality work. It's what I do for a living. If someone on my line does terrible work, I apologize to the customer for their inconvenience and make sure it gets done properly myself, and get it back to them as quickly as possible. It's only good business practice.

Frog
15th Apr 2008, 17:37
Was Thief 4 even confirmed yet?

Yes. In 2005 or 2006 Eidos claimed they would bring Thief back, and sadly it would be set in modern times.

Recently the confirmed it's development with this job-posting...

Thursday, April 3rd, 2008

Eidos-Montréal is proud to announce the recruitment for our 2nd “AAA” project.
… A hint! The title begins with the letter “ T ”…

http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/news.html

Larington
15th Apr 2008, 18:51
Until I see a source I can rely on (Sorry but, at the moment I only see a rumour) I'm going to stay clear of the suggestion the new thief might be set in a more modern period, gonna wait for the teaser or concept info to come out of Eidos Montreal/D'Astous' before I believe that.

Ghostdog
15th Apr 2008, 18:53
Oh, that´s right - the "T-hint".

Frog
15th Apr 2008, 20:31
Until I see a source I can rely on (Sorry but, at the moment I only see a rumour) I'm going to stay clear of the suggestion the new thief might be set in a more modern period, gonna wait for the teaser or concept info to come out of Eidos Montreal/D'Astous' before I believe that.

Yea, I hope it is not true. I can't even find that rumor back. But I know it came straight from someone at Eidos and they stated something like "Yes, there will be another Thief. We think it would be cool to set it in modern-times" or something like that.

I hope they stick with the Medieval setting.

Vasarto
16th Apr 2008, 02:22
That's twice you wrote "theif" instead of "thief" ;) Anyway read some reviews, it's a great stealth thievin' series, as the name implies. It takes place in an alternative Victiorian age combined with some steampunk. You basically play a master thief who gets embroiled in all the wrong (but profitable) things and ends up having to save the day. Thief 1 and 2 are excellent games, albeit unplayable on an LCD monitor (unless it has some really good black levels) sadly. TDS is a gorgeous if not somewhat simpler game, but very much worth playing regardless.

If that doesn't sell it, Warren Spector also briefly worked on Thief The Dark Project. It's a series any Looking Glass/Ion Storm fan ought to have played... a dozen times (all games have a very high replay value since they're pretty hard on the highest difficulty).

Sounds interesting..

btw..theif? ya...I always get confused with that I..before e thing...As you may know english is my WORST subject...with math after that and General Science after that.

DXeXodus
16th Apr 2008, 04:30
If Thief 4 is set in a medievel setting then what happens to the legendary Garret? Axed? or does he undergo some 'time-travel' or cryo-storage to get him to the modern day? We cant lose Garret... he is Thief, he makes the franchise.

gamer0004
16th Apr 2008, 14:13
Sounds interesting..

btw..theif? ya...I always get confused with that I..before e thing...As you may know english is my WORST subject...with math after that and General Science after that.

Where are you from then?

Tracer Tong
16th Apr 2008, 14:16
Eagle Point Oregon of course... It's in Germany, in case you didn't know...:rasp:

Unstoppable
16th Apr 2008, 15:47
Here is source but this person no longer works for Eidos.

http://www.fragland.net/news/Thief-4-and-Deus-Ex-3-coming-up/8605/

At this point it could go either way. My theory is they will stick with medieval setting.

minus0ne
16th Apr 2008, 15:54
Yea, I hope it is not true. I can't even find that rumor back. But I know it came straight from someone at Eidos and they stated something like "Yes, there will be another Thief. We think it would be cool to set it in modern-times" or something like that.

I hope they stick with the Medieval setting.
I highly doubt they even could go modern with Thief 4. It's set in a fictional (and very alternative) universe, very different from a medieval setting. They could probably go 50 years past the events of TDS but not much farther.

Sounds interesting..

Definately worth picking up :) I recommend starting off with Thief 3 as it's the easiest by far, then get Thief Gold and Thief II Gold.

If Thief 4 is set in a medievel setting then what happens to the legendary Garret? Axed? or does he undergo some 'time-travel' or cryo-storage to get him to the modern day? We cant lose Garret... he is Thief, he makes the franchise.
I highly doubt they would want to do that, or even could. But here's hoping they won't turn Garrett into Sam Fisher.

Frog
16th Apr 2008, 20:39
Here is source but this person no longer works for Eidos.

http://www.fragland.net/news/Thief-4-and-Deus-Ex-3-coming-up/8605/

At this point it could go either way. My theory is they will stick with medieval setting.

That is it. I was furious when I read that!

:eek:

Larington
16th Apr 2008, 22:33
Interesting, but I'll still wait for more offical word on T4s setting... More modern doesn't necessarily mean present day, for all we know, it could be an equivalent to elizabethan England or some such... Perhaps something with the plague going on in the background and Garretts successor discovers whats causing the plague (And I don't mean disease carrying rats)...

minus0ne
17th Apr 2008, 00:44
Wow, how come no one's noticed that article is dated AUGUST 2004.

Ghostdog
17th Apr 2008, 06:39
Yeah, seems kind of old.

Frog
17th Apr 2008, 15:44
Wow, how come no one's noticed that article is dated AUGUST 2004.

Uhh we did. We said it was an old rumor that we heard years ago.

minus0ne
17th Apr 2008, 20:55
Uhh we did. We said it was an old rumor that we heard years ago.
Shame on me for missing that bit, but this shouldn't be treated as even remotely relevant now.

Larington
18th Apr 2008, 15:28
I did note the date, which is part of the reason why I maintain my wait and see stance.