PDA

View Full Version : Does Eidos Montreal Understand Deus Ex And Its Fans?

AaronJ
10th Apr 2008, 20:46
I haven't seen the quotation myself, but I've heard that there was an interview about Deus Ex 3 and someone mentioned the "2027" date being removed. Apparently, they said: "We weren't expecting the trailer to be that analyzed." That is the dumbest thing I've heard about Deus Ex 3 yet. This is DEUS EX. It has to be DETAILED DOWN TO THE LETTER. So they release a teaser trailer with a flashing image sequence, and they didn't expect me to slow it down, take some pictures, and find out what they were? The images weren't supposed to mean anything? And the writing on the fetus was just random babble? To be honest, this was the first thing that came to mind after I watched my completed analysis for the first time. Is this all just random crap? It just might be.

jordan_a
10th Apr 2008, 21:06
Interesting point there. But it still requires confirmation.

If it is confirmed the 2027 date has been removed because they weren't expecting the trailer to be analysed I see two things:

1) It's very worrying since
a) it might mean they don't have the full story written yet
b) a random picture is just as confusing therefore all the other pictures have to be questioned

2) Just a glitch because
a) They don't want to reveal anything
b) The date might be wrong

It that "story" is true and verified it could give us a considerable and indisputable indication about the opinion of the team towards the community.

AaronJ
10th Apr 2008, 21:20
Indeed, this all depends on whether it was true or not.

Larington
10th Apr 2008, 22:12
I suspect its because people assumed that it implied the game was set in or very close to this date, when in fact its set say, at least 5 years after that. Simply, they didn't expect the community to assume so much from so little and as a result moved to omit that from the video. The date is given as part of the games back story, but people assumed that it meant the current ongoing setting that the player is in, rather than a piece of history designed to provide context for the setting of the game.

Its kind of similar to having a conversation with someone, saying something and realising as you are finishing the sentence that you didn't quite mean it *that* way and quickly move to rephrase the sentence a little. Or at least, thats how I see it.

minus0ne
11th Apr 2008, 13:29
I think you're overanalysing the response they gave about the first overanalysis that was made (the date). While one of DX's trademarks is an incredibly detailed gameworld, that doesn't have to hold true for a TEASER trailer. You've got to look at the design process and remember they're still at an early stage (anywhere between 10% and 30% I'd say) - they're not going to throw in gameplay footage obviously, but they WANTED to give the community something (they didn't have to), so they put together an awesome appetite-wetting montage of some of the themes combined with a taste of the great DX soundtrack. It looks like a lot of that stuff came from the concept stage where basically anything goes.

Or, if I'd have to choose jordan_a list'o'possibilities I'd vote both 2a and 2b.

Vasarto
11th Apr 2008, 17:29
I heard they took out the date becuse it would confuse players as to the date. The 2027 was supposively only when the fetus was a fetus. But would take place when the fetus was an adult! So the True date of Deus Ex 3 could tale place anywhere between 18-20 somthing years later. My estimate is that the real date of when Deus Ex will begin is 2047. Twenty years later. Which would make me believe that That fetus is indeed paul denton since paul is older than jc but only by a few years. So 5 years before the date DX1 took place would make alot of sense!

Tracer Tong
11th Apr 2008, 17:40
I am starting to have my doubts whether we overrated that teaser trailer.

But then again, they weren't in a hurry to release this trailer. After all, it came out unforeseen. They could've released it a month later if they wanted, with real details. I really want to believe that they put THAT much effort (as to hiding details everywhere in the trailer) in that teaser trailer.

Hard to hear such a truth from the analyzer of the teaser himself.

AaronJ
12th Apr 2008, 01:07
If I wasn't so questionable of this game, I'd be bouncing around like a damn leprechaun. I need a steady flow of things to keep me down, and so far they've been doing an okay job.

Vasarto
12th Apr 2008, 03:26
Well im sure after a few months or so we might get a chance to see a little
something. The game is set for sometime 2009 as I have heard so they
have plenty of time to put alot of time and effort into it. Ussualy, when games
that are givin a years or more time for its release ussualy turn out very good.

Best example I can give is Legand of Zelda:Twilight princess, Took like
2 1/2 years or so to finnaly be finished and when it came out it was
an incredable game. Same ussualy goes for most other games givin long
periods of creation. So while I cannot say for sure Montreal understands
everything that needs to go into it. They have more than enough time
to figure it all out. If they fail...that would only mean montreal is a bad
gaming company!

gamer0004
12th Apr 2008, 10:55
What?!? Twilight princess was "an incredible game"? It's the worst Zelda ever...

jd10013
12th Apr 2008, 11:49
I think it's important to mention that the teaser trailer was just something they threw out there for the anouncement of the game. that thing was made sooooooooooooooooo early in the games development that its probably dangerous to read to much into it. at the time of its release, I doubt they even had the whole story nailed down.

Anyway, that they removed it is good. Shows they're paying attention to us. :eek:

c37579
12th Apr 2008, 13:05
I heard they took out the date becuse it would confuse players as to the date. The 2027 was supposively only when the fetus was a fetus. But would take place when the fetus was an adult! So the True date of Deus Ex 3 could tale place anywhere between 18-20 somthing years later. My estimate is that the real date of when Deus Ex will begin is 2047. Twenty years later. Which would make me believe that That fetus is indeed paul denton since paul is older than jc but only by a few years. So 5 years before the date DX1 took place would make alot of sense!

just one problem with your theory:
the feotus has augmentations, or mech implants, but paul only got his augs when he was a child, not a foetus

jordan_a
12th Apr 2008, 13:42
What?!? Twilight princess was "an incredible game"? It's the worst Zelda ever...:thumbsup:
It’s VERY easy, short, the music, overall, is average; additionnal quests are nearly non existent, items you get are dubious, the interface is enormous and too centered, dialogs are common.
There’s no way you can compare it with, say, Majora’s Mask.

gamer0004
12th Apr 2008, 14:42
:thumbsup:
It’s VERY easy, short, the music, overall, is average; additionnal quests are nearly non existent, items you get are dubious, the interface is enormous and too centered, dialogs are common.
There’s no way you can compare it with, say, Majora’s Mask.

Yup. Ocarina of time was brilliant too, and I also really liked a link to the past. Twhilight princess doesn't even come close to those. The characters were especially annoying and I can't stand annoying characters while they're supposed to be your friends (and not be able to kill them, a bit like Billie in DX:IW).

jordan_a
12th Apr 2008, 14:45
The worst is Wind Waker I believe. It's a pity but Zeldas have turned childish. Anyway let's stick to the subject here. :D

Larington
12th Apr 2008, 16:26
In the greater scheme of things I don't rate the teaser in any way, its a teaser, little more than a wind up of sorts (Though obviously its much more fun to be teased than wound up), especially since teasers are naturally open to interpretation and I've seen some pretty whacked out interpretations of song lyrics before so I'm choosing not to concern myself with the teaser too much.

With regards to the long development = good game thing, it really does depend on surrounding factors, it basically boils down to one question imho:

Did the game get given a long development time because the money holders and decision makers thought "lets give them time to make it good" or did it have a long development time because one or more aspects (Project management not predicting when feature(s) will be completed accurately for example) spiralled out of control forcing the developer to request more time to get back on track.

As an aside, I'm aware of cases where a project has spiraled out of control and actually been canned because the money holders have decided its not worth the extra resources (May just be a lack of available talent transferable from one team to the other, such as what happened to StarCraft: Ghost when WoW was gearing up).

Can't remember where I pulled the info from, but my understanding is that a founding principle of the Eidos Montreal teams is that projects developed there are done so with the understanding that the projects must be given lots of time to be made (The anti 'nine women producing a baby in one month principle') so I at least know the project isn't getting a long development time because someone screwed up which is in itself encouraging.

Theres also this argument that because its a new team they'll therefor screw up, which I think is a big assumption because if theres one thing that new teams will often have (indeed, new companies) its enthusiasm and thats critical for having the drive/will to push boundaries and generally try to do something new or different...

LordCarnage
12th Apr 2008, 19:04
:mad2:
I think you're overanalysing the response they gave about the first overanalysis that was made (the date). While one of DX's trademarks is an incredibly detailed gameworld, that doesn't have to hold true for a TEASER trailer. You've got to look at the design process and remember they're still at an early stage (anywhere between 10% and 30% I'd say) - they're not going to throw in gameplay footage obviously, but they WANTED to give the community something (they didn't have to), so they put together an awesome appetite-wetting montage of some of the themes combined with a taste of the great DX soundtrack. It looks like a lot of that stuff came from the concept stage where basically anything goes.

Or, if I'd have to choose jordan_a list'o'possibilities I'd vote both 2a and 2b.
:nut:
Don't listen to minusOne - he,she or IT is one of THEM!!!
Their lying, its all fake, fake I tell you!
Why would experiened animators, artists and video editors make a mistake like that? They wouldn't! Its a clever ploy thought up by the reticulans at their lunar underground base, and changed the trailer so we true believers will get confused and start doubting each other - or maybe one of our people finally infiltrated them and is trying to send us a message! Yes, yes thats it, its a message! 2027 is the release date aaargh!!!!:mad2:

Tracer Tong
13th Apr 2008, 18:02
The worst is Wind Waker I believe. It's a pity but Zeldas have turned childish. Anyway let's stick to the subject here. :D
OT: QFT.
Best Zelda game: OoT, next best is Majora's Mask

The only reason I liked twilight princess is because they returned to the original planned graphically awesome Link.

It's a sad story about how they used the Cel-Link in the handheld games later on. Killed the original, good Link.

Back to topic (which is slightly offtopic too):

Games that have been developed for long (i.e. Duke Nukem Forever(11 years in the making), Prey(9 years and out)) are not necessarily as good as shortly-developed games. Of course there's Half Life 2, which was delayed for a bit but was VERY groundbreaking.

(I really hope DX3 will be groundbreaking and will get the gaming industry out of the local minima it is stuck in ;) )

I say Eidos Montreal should make yet another teaser trailer which is twice as awesome and deep as the first one, just to reassure us that they INTEND to be analyzed very very deeply. (by very I mean finding the source of that hell drawing that you later found, GlobalNode. It can't be a coincidence, it mustn't be (with the exception of the Fibonacci frame, it was pretty much useless but who knows?))

AaronJ
14th Apr 2008, 17:25
(by very I mean finding the source of that hell drawing that you later found, GlobalNode.

1. I would've found those pictures myself, but I read the article first. Won't do that again, after all the **** I received for not citing him.
2. It was probably a developer of the trailer.

jordan_a
14th Apr 2008, 18:40
By the way, where is the source of all that fuss?

AaronJ
14th Apr 2008, 19:07
I don't know. All of that information was deleted by the fascists over at wikipedia anyway.

jordan_a
14th Apr 2008, 21:26
You're telling me you did not copy and paste or print anything?

O.m.a.r
14th Apr 2008, 21:37
I think the teaser trailer was just put out to tell the fans that the game is coming. I doubt that anything in their had much meaning. The Fetus could be in any time period. Anyhow the pictures could be just flashbacks, it doesnt mean that will be the story line of the game. Most likely they havent even finished the story yet since its so early in development.

AaronJ
14th Apr 2008, 21:45
You're telling me you did not copy and paste or print anything?

Source of information for:
*Studies of the Shoulder and Neck, A Study of the Spine, and Detail of Anatomical Studies of the Muscles of the Neck, Shoulder, Chest and Arm by Leonardo da Vinci

*Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt

*Lament For Icarus by Herbert James Draper

-Deus Ex 3 wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_3

And the "unknown drawing of hell".