PDA

View Full Version : What kind of gamer were you...

Xcom
9th Apr 2008, 08:57
BEFORE playing original Deus Ex?

1. Dedicated, all-around gamer? You played lots of games of various genres, possibly on different platforms.

2. Hardcore gamer? You played quite a few games but usually of one genre (eg. shooters)

3. Casual gamer? You played some games... occasionally.

4. Novice gamer? You weren't really into videogaming before Deus Ex.

Be objective. :p

And additional question: did playing Deus Ex change your gaming habits? Did you start playing more games / less games?

Inane Mythos
9th Apr 2008, 09:05
I was and still am a (less than)casual gamer. I've been playing games for about 15 years now but my time is always spent on my work (3D visualisations and Architecture and Animation). I'll at the most maybe get about 4-6 hours a week to play a game.

Deus Ex didn't change the way I played games, but it did change what games I'd play if that counts for anything! :p

Blade_hunter
9th Apr 2008, 11:24
Much before DX, I was a dedicated gamer I've played some different kind of games and I finally prefer the FPS genre; and when I've played DX I discover the first true mix between genres (FPS,RPG,Infitration).
I loved the global gameplay because We can use each part of the different gameplays of the game to turn them into my adventage when need to pass each situation.
I loved this game because we can customize our character, because we must made choices (what item are must necessary on my inventory, how I can aboard each situation, how sentence I must chose to obtain what I want or what is much necessary) I loved the characters in the game, How the world is changing after our actions, the interactivity with the world and more ....

I vote dedicated because, just before DX I was an hardcore gamer but with not sufficient experience on games to say I'm an hardcore gamer

Red
9th Apr 2008, 12:03
Dedicated.

RTS, RPG, FPS, racing, you name it, I played it.

I hate(d) sport games, though.

Deus Ex did not make me change my gaming habits although it did leave a special impact on me like no other game. I'm still waiting for a game to impress me as much as DX1 did.

Rayz
9th Apr 2008, 13:32
Hardcore. I'm sorry to say. Screwed up my life dramatically, but boy! I don't regret a second of the pleasure i got out of it. :lol:

jordan_a
9th Apr 2008, 13:54
BEFORE: dedicated
AFTER: casual
Gaming habits: completely changed, after DX and the fall of the N64 then Dreamcast I became very exigent, demanding and stern about the quality of the games. And I must say that as the market has been very poor since, I focused on oldies.

Smoke Screen
9th Apr 2008, 14:43
Hardcoregamer since Doom,but "woke up" while playing System Shock 1.
2nd Jordans opinion.

MaxxQ1
9th Apr 2008, 15:59
Novice. DX was only my third game. My first was Descent: Freespace - The Great War, followed by Homeworld. Then, on a whim, I installed the demo of DX from a magazine cd, and after finishing the demo, waited impatiently for release day. I must have played that demo half a dozen times waiting for the game to be released.

Kneo24
9th Apr 2008, 20:02
Hardcore
Playing Deus Ex has not changed my gaming habits.

Vasarto
9th Apr 2008, 21:00
Dedicated Gamer, Mostly Fps's and RPG'S. I kinda suck at Racing but I play them rarely though. Im...okish at fighting games eccept Bloody roar. I don't even think those korean kids could beat me at THAT fighting game.

I played lots and lots and lots of games. before and after. From Mario and Zelda to Bioshock and Assassins Creed and Guitar Hero 1-3.

jd10013
9th Apr 2008, 22:51
definitely casual. I find a few games I really like and play them. I probably could be a hardcore gamer if we could change to a 35 hour day. But right now there's just too much else to do to have a lot of time for games. I don't think DX really changed me much, but it was one of the first games I played more than once.

Unstoppable
9th Apr 2008, 23:41
I was dedicated somewhat hardcore but wasn't exposed to what was possible on the PC in terms of RPG till Deus Ex.

minus0ne
10th Apr 2008, 00:00
Dedicated, my experience mirrors jordan_a's as I became much more demanding after playing DX. Since then I've barely ever played anything even remotely subpar.

Gary_Savage
10th Apr 2008, 03:21

2. Hardcore gamer? You played quite a few games but usually of one genre (eg. shooters)

I am not sure which one to choose, since I definitely played the FPS and RTS/Turn Based Strategy games more often, though my resume does not include a great number of games, in any genre. I used to play Sid Mier's Alpha Centauri, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, and SWAT 2, among strategy games, and Half-Life1, Thief1, Soldier of Fortune1, and Metal gear Solid, a lot, before playing DX1. By that time I had also played Age of the Empires, Joint Strike Fighter (a flight sim), and Quake. Of course, though I played Alpha Centauri the most, all I had was a demo version. I used to mostly play demos, since I did not have the money to pay the exorbitant prices that game shops charged, where I lived. I generally played strategy games more often, resorting to FPS games when I wanted to cool off with some mindless nonsense. Of course, Thief1 added the element of strategy to first person, and HL1 (Half-Life1) also removed the mindless-ness of FPS games.

And additional question: did playing Deus Ex change your gaming habits? Did you start playing more games / less games?

I can't tell. Sure, more game shops opened right before DX1 came out, and so I was able to afford to buy games (though I still had to save up for nine months), but right after I bought DX1 the pressure of a second set of public exams (British system) went up, and I did not have time for gaming. I did buy Dark Reign 2, though, and I finally bought the full version of Alpha Centauri, right before I left for college.

If DX1 affected my gaming preferences, these changes did not show up until two years down the line, when I bought games again. This time, I went for games that required stealth, cunning, and (very importantly) patience. I bought Sub-Commander (though I lost patience with its crashing to my desktop), Hitman (great game, though I got too annoyed to play, after a night club scene -- I was unaccustomed to girls being objectified to that extent, pardon me). I also bought HL1 (with all of its expansions), Operation Flashpoint (one of the best combinations of stealth, cunning, AI, and realism I have yet encountered). Among strategy games, I bought Command and Conquer: The First Decade (I love this series, and I also wanted to try the original C&C), Empire Earth, and Civilizations4.

Besides that, I have tried, in vain, over the years, to find a game that gave me the same feeling of DX1. That is how I ended up on this forum.

So, overall, I think that DX1 has affected my choice in FPS games, or at least my play style, but has left my gaming alter-ego (the guy that plays strategy games) in tact. As for my buying more games now, than before, it's just that I don't get overcharged here, that's all. Of course, my game involvement was kept down by all the nights that I spent in lab work, so even my college life (and beyond) game resume does not look impressive.

P.S. DX1 is the only first person game that I have played more than 5 times. I am sure my current playthrough is in the higher teens, and I have lost count. I have a run that I get back to, once every few days, even now. Also, when I saw HALO, I just knew it was not my thing. Other than that, I used to play on PCs, only before, and I still do that, now.

auric
10th Apr 2008, 03:35

1. Dedicated, all-around gamer? You played lots of games of various genres, possibly on different platforms.

4. Novice gamer? You weren't really into videogaming before Deus Ex.

I don't know which category I fall in.

I play lots of games, from (Shooters, simulators, strategy, RPG, adventures, etc.)
I play them for the story mostly, so most games in my list will involve sequels.
I don't play them for multiplayer (sometimes do), or just for the fun of it.
And this is before & after I play Deus Ex, not saying it didn't inspire me or anything, just when it first came, it brings hope to new & exciting shooter games.

To name a few: (Expensions Included)
X-Com: Enemy Unknown / Terror from the Deep / Apocalypse / Interceptor
Homeworld: 1 & 2
C&C: Red Alert / Tiberium / Generals series
Splinter Cell: 1 / Pandora Tomorrow / Chaos Theory
Hitman: Agent 47 / Silent Assassin / Contracts / Blood Money
Warcraft: Orcs & Humans / Tides of Darkness / Reign of Chaos
StarCraft
Star Trek: Elite Force 1 & 2 / Starfleet Command 1-3
Star Wars: Jedi Knight 1, 2 & Academy / Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Fallout: 1 / 2 / Tactics
Monkey Island: Secret of MI / Le'Chuck's Revenge / Curse of MI / Escape from MI
Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate & Torment
Star Control: 1 / 2 / 3

My favourites are
Star Control 2, X-Com, Torment, Fallout, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell & Hitman
Because they are all mostly non-linear in how you play the game, not all have multi endings.

So what category do I fall in?
:)

Xcom
10th Apr 2008, 06:59
So what category do I fall in?

I'd say you were a dedicated gamer. :)

@Gary_Savage,

You seem hardcore to me :p (at least in the way that I defined "hardcore" in my first post).

minus0ne
10th Apr 2008, 07:44
Is it me, or is there an unusual amount of people on this forum who've played adventure games? (and still are, although with the trickle pace they've been coming out..)

I played a lot of them before DX. Somehow DX also managed to fill my 'adventure' apetite, and I began looking for that element (good dialogue in a good story/setting) in other games such ranging from the Thief series to Beyond Good & Evil and KOTOR. It's too bad we've only got Sam & Max these days (and perhaps a possible TLJ sequel to look out for), although I believe the genre will return someday - the day the EA business model won't prove sufficient anymore.

Xcom
10th Apr 2008, 08:07
I've played loads of adventures although I prefer dialogue/inventory based adventures as apposed to puzzle based. Games like Myst fry my brains, but I've been a big fan of all LucasArts adventure titles.

Red
10th Apr 2008, 08:30
Hm... Actually, as you mention it minus0ne, my last adventure was Grim Fandango. An excellent game...

I've never found any time to play Lost Journey or Fahrenheit etc... but I do plan to do it during the summer. Thanks for the reminder.

minus0ne
10th Apr 2008, 08:52
Yeah LucasArts games were gems back then, Grim Fandango sadly being the last one. I couldn't get into Myst either, too node-based and too puzzle-oriented for my tastes, although some point & click games managed to 'fry my brain' as well :nut: Monkey Island has got to be the epitome of lateral thinking.

Xcom
10th Apr 2008, 09:07
I've never found any time to play Lost Journey or Fahrenheit etc... but I do plan to do it during the summer. Thanks for the reminder.

TLJ is a must-play for an adventure fan, IMO. It's easily in the Top3 of my favourite adventures (actually, alongside GF and GK3). Fahrenheit you can skip. :p It does have interesting concepts but it's mostly an annoying QTE fest.

And yeah, Monkey Islands are quite hard, LOL!

auric
10th Apr 2008, 09:12
TLJ is a must-play for an adventure fan, IMO. It's easily in the Top3 of my favourite adventures (actually, alongside GF and GK3). Fahrenheit you can skip. :p It does have interesting concepts but it's mostly an annoying QTE fest.

And yeah, Monkey Islands are quite hard, LOL!

Monkey Island wasn't that hard, only hard part was the monkey device in Part 4.
in the deaf guy's store.

I find the "Longest Journey" more harder. Big place, tiny stuff to point out.

Love them both, including Septerra Core. :)

jordan_a
10th Apr 2008, 09:19
I met the developers of Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) once , Quantic Dreams, in Paris. They're very open minded.
The game itself is rather short and has (way) too many QTE but overall it's really pleasant.

Xcom
10th Apr 2008, 09:36
I met the developers of Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) once , Quantic Dreams, in Paris. They're very open minded.

Too open minded, if you ask me. Sometimes they probably forget that they are making a game, and not a movie or some sort of scientific, virtual reality project. Personally, I was more impressed with Omikron: Nomad Soul, their earlier game. It was very innovative for 1999, and to be honest, it affected me more than Deus Ex.. and/or System Shock. It was also Eidos published, by the way, and I actually joined these forums because of it. Unfortunately, the game was too weird to have mass-appeal, so it probably flopped (but I don't know for sure). I know it got very mixed review scores (either crap or excellent and nothing in between).

jordan_a
10th Apr 2008, 09:46
Omikron was just great, and a true PC game.

Gary_Savage
10th Apr 2008, 09:46
@Gary_Savage,

You seem hardcore to me :p (at least in the way that I defined "hardcore" in my first post).

Great. Just what I voted for on the poll.

BTW, I am interested in how the DX3 team plans to use info from this poll. For example, is the poll going to affect what branches of a storyline the team will implement in the game?

Xcom
10th Apr 2008, 10:03
BTW, I am interested in how the DX3 team plans to use info from this poll. For example, is the poll going to affect what branches of a storyline the team will implement in the game?

Hate to disappoint you, but this is just something I wanted to know for myself, and I am not affiliated with DX3 team.

Blade_hunter
10th Apr 2008, 10:30
LOL, but Are they take a look sometimes to know our opinions for each post we can put on the forum?
I think It's better If one of them take a look and give some impressions because some of us make sometimes huge suggestions and others make more little suggestions. and some of them looks like unmakable or can be maded but someones are against the idea because some doesn't want it.
But perhaps the dev's want to keep most information about the game secret ...

Gary_Savage
10th Apr 2008, 10:43
Hate to disappoint you, but this is just something I wanted to know for myself, and I am not affiliated with DX3 team.

Not disappointed, at all! It's great to know that someone is even interested in knowing. At least through this thread each player gets to see what a lot of others have been playing. Hey, maybe I will find something that I might give a try. That Omikron thing looks interesting. Septerra Core was great (I played the demo, when it came out), but it was not the kind of game that I was used to. I had still wanted to play it, though, for the way it presents a story, and the settings it provides, despite that fact that I got thrown off by the combat system (I felt underpowered, in terms of controlling my character's actions). Alas, the game never showed up on shelves (not that it would have mattered, then, because the stores used to price their wares beyond the reach of many high schoolers, back then).

auric
10th Apr 2008, 10:56
Septerra Core was great (I played the demo, when it came out), but it was not the kind of game that I was used to. I had still wanted to play it, though, for the way it presents a story, and the settings it provides, despite that fact that I got thrown off by the combat system (I felt underpowered, in terms of controlling my character's actions). Alas, the game never showed up on shelves (not that it would have mattered, then, because the stores used to price their wares beyond the reach of many high schoolers, back then).

Well, IMHO it is worth it to try Septerra Core.
The story is great, gameplay is a tiny bit problem, but I prefer this than Final Fantasy, less confusion & time consuming.
Graphics & music is nice.

But I only recommend it, if money is not much of an issue with u anymore.

Gorky 17 is another good one, but not worth it compare to Septerra, I hear its sequels didn't do that well, though I never got the chance to try them. Septerra is a stand alone, but its great.

Gorky 17, unless u don't already know.
Is very linear, u'll face the same opponents at the same spots in the same positions. You get to choose where to move ur people step by step, what weapons to shoot, or stun the creature, etc.
Turn base
limited ammos like Resident Evil.
Love one of the gun where it shoots a beam forward & backwards all the way the screen, anyone in its path gets hit. Love to throw grenades at groups of people.

Only slight difference in combat is what u have & how many of it, depends on how effective u kill ur opponents without wasting ammos, oh & u got HtH weapons too to save ammo. Stunning is the major way to save ammo, stun them & keep wacking with HtHs, when its time for it to wake up again, stun it again, lol

Timing is everything in that game. Plan like chess.

Gary_Savage
10th Apr 2008, 11:05
Well, right now, the issue is time... sleeping only every other night, running experiments, and coming to this forum between them.

Gorky17, is that something like Odium? I heard mention of "Gorky" in that game: a place where the Soviets used to conduct experiments, but then decided to bomb (air strike). Odium has to do with some scientists finding a gene that will dictate the extinction of Humankind. Are Gorky17 and Odium two names for the same game?

auric
10th Apr 2008, 11:07
I guess it is, according to wiki

Gorky 17 (released as Odium in North America)

Xcom
10th Apr 2008, 11:11
LOL, but Are they take a look sometimes to know our opinions for each post we can put on the forum?

I know that at least one dev from Montreal actively reads .. well, almost all threads here. They are of course well aware of this forum given that it's linked from the Montreal homepage, so I suspect that more people lurk here as guests once in awhile when they have time. After all, if you were a developer, you'd probably be curious too about what's going in the community.

Conspiracy Theorist
11th Apr 2008, 17:41
I hadn't played many computer games before Deus Ex. It is the one that really got me interested in video games by expanding my understanding of what they could do. You might even say that I often look for other games that will allow me to relive that same feeling that I had when I first played this game.

Conspiracy Theorist
11th Apr 2008, 17:55
Too open minded, if you ask me. Sometimes they probably forget that they are making a game, and not a movie or some sort of scientific, virtual reality project. Personally, I was more impressed with Omikron: Nomad Soul, their earlier game. It was very innovative for 1999, and to be honest, it affected me more than Deus Ex.. and/or System Shock. It was also Eidos published, by the way, and I actually joined these forums because of it. Unfortunately, the game was too weird to have mass-appeal, so it probably flopped (but I don't know for sure). I know it got very mixed review scores (either crap or excellent and nothing in between).

Actually, that's interesting what you say about the sort of open-ended mindset of the developers. I wasn't aware of the reception of that game, but it was very interesting to me at first. I had seen that Deus Ex was from Eidos and I sought out similar games from them. It hooked me early in the beginning with the mere size of the cities, the atmosphere, etc... but, from what I remember, the storyline became somewhat vague or just incomprehensible... I can't remember. I just lost interest and never finished it. Maybe I'm misremembering it, but what I remember complements your impression of their approach. Despite all that, however, there were definitely some really interesting elements that I am surprised did not get imitated more.

It was interesting that David Bowie was involved in that - in the music and as one of the characters. It gave me the impression that video-gaming - with an emphasis on the immersive virtual reality aspect - was about to take on a much larger role in the entertainment industry. As the technology improves I hope that more and more immersive games will continue to be created - and revisited. Perhaps they've tried this to some degree with the MMORPGs, but those try so hard to cater to everyone's fantasy that they end up lacking real character.

Bloodwolf806
11th Apr 2008, 17:56
Considering I played Deus Ex for the first time a few months ago...
Dedicated. IW made me a Deus Ex fan years ago on Xbox, but I got Deus Ex game of the year edition just out of curiosity and It became the best game I've ever played.

Xcom
11th Apr 2008, 18:20
Despite all that, however, there were definitely some really interesting elements that I am surprised did not get imitated more.

I have very fond memories of Omikron. You had sort of like big (parts of) cities, you have vehicles you could drive, shops you could buy stuff in. You could go to a David Bowie concert and then go buy a record and play it at home. You could fight (Tekken style) in the arena and make cash. You could (IIRC) even have sex with your girlfriend (French game, eh? :D). :lol: What other game had that kind of stuff in 99? I believe they also used motion capture for animations.. which was quite pretty cool for that time.

The game had just one major flaw: save system. It was ridiculous.

As for the story - funny, I don't really remember it any more. SF-fantasy mix, but I do remember that it was pretty interesting (well, for me, anyway).

MaxxQ1
12th Apr 2008, 23:53
Considering I played Deus Ex for the first time a few months ago...
Dedicated. IW made me a Deus Ex fan years ago on Xbox, but I got Deus Ex game of the year edition just out of curiosity and It became the best game I've ever played.

I envy someone discovering Deus Ex for the first time. Sometimes I wish I could have selective amnesia, so I can experience it as new over and over again.

I've played it at least once a year since it was released. Funnily enough, on my most recent playthrough, I found a couple of things, and had a couple conversations, I hadn't yet experienced. Almost made it feel new...