PDA

View Full Version : SOMMERDAMM Sommerdamm

Oroibahazopi
19th Dec 2013, 16:01
After playing it last night and thinking a bit about it I think there is one area that overly favours Humans and is very easily defendable.

I want to say the south of the map but I honestly don't pay that much attention. The area I mean is where there is the raised T junction with arcs underneath and a raised walkway along the edge of the map.

For the Humans there are two healing stations very close by there and you have very good vision of the map.

Against the Vampires, and specifically Tyrants, you cannot jump from the central building close by onto the walkway along the wall, at least I always missed. Charging along the walkway is just death.

Monkeythumbz
19th Dec 2013, 16:09
How did you enjoy playing on the map and how do you think it compares with the game's other maps?

Oroibahazopi
19th Dec 2013, 16:14
It's good, same standard as the other ones I'd say in terms of design and playstyle.

There were issues with climbing in a lot of places, either vamp or grapple. Also people were getting stuck carrying dead bodies around if they picked one up near a wall.

And yeah that one area stuck in my mind as being too easy for humans, similar to the docks on the other map.

Tube_Reaver
19th Dec 2013, 17:15
How did you enjoy playing on the map and how do you think it compares with the game's other maps?

In terms of aesthetics I personally liked the map's art design and feel. It's a nice change from the other current available maps.

As for gameplay terms, I do like that it has a lot of corners and such, and is a lot less open or revealed compared to some maps or specific areas on the other maps.

Razaiim
19th Dec 2013, 18:44
I really like this map. I like how humans have an option to go to higher ground more frequently, beyond scout grappling, but there is enough structure to negate this so vampires are endlessly picked off. I love the aesthetic above the other maps. I haven't noticed any gameplay issues myself, but I noticed a couple grappling locations are accessible with out it. I'm not sure if I dislike it for the redundancy, or if I like it as it forces a decision of quickly getting into a position with less fire power (switching damage skill for grapple) or taking a longer route but keeping the heavy hitting items

blincoln
21st Dec 2013, 07:13
The visual design of the new map is awesome. It's very, very obvious that the people who worked on it studied their Blood Omen 2 reference material :).

Hugbringer
22nd Dec 2013, 22:06

I very much like this map and I hope that there are many more like it. It feels much more 'Grand' than the others, in that it feels like it is much more in-line with the theme of the previous games. The play-area is more diverse and varied with less 'obvious' places to hunker down and varied avenues in which to engage or defend.

Sommerdamm and freeport ( I believe thats the name, the one with the docks) are my favorites so far. The other two feel a bit too 'flat' and 'small' especially after playing on Sommerdamm.

lucinvampire
22nd Dec 2013, 23:16
I've kind of said this elsewhere - but I am very much in love with the Sommerdamm map - it's very sexy - gorgeous looking - stunning. I love the nods to the previous games- such as the statue and runes and BO2esc feel of the place... :D its great work - and by far my favourite so far! :thumb:

Maxximusblue
22nd Dec 2013, 23:49
i really liked this map. fun for both imo. the healing stations are positioned pretty nice. like how it has a lot of small walk ways and things really easy to pick a human up and trap him . a lot of turn ways so i can run and dodge from vampires a little easier .

Xaragoth
23rd Dec 2013, 17:47
Sommerdamm thus far felt to me like a complete cluster**** of asset placement. Very crowded, very few balanced spots to camp for humans, loads of cool mobility for vampires though.

Also my eternal dislike for map edge walls not being climbable to at least a ledge somewhere below sight range into the big void beyond grows massively on this one, since while there is cover everywhere to approach on the ground, the walls are usually fairly far apart - and usually you can't climb 2-3 of them. Also there's some really annoying invisible walls in some places (that greek-temple structure has a walkway above from which you could perfectly reaver pounce people. But it's blocked by hardened air >_>)

It's visual style however I really enjoyed. But I feel it needs some work to be more on par with others. Then again most maps have gigantic sight ranges for humans, while this one does not.

Tube_Reaver
23rd Dec 2013, 18:40
Sommerdamm thus far felt to me like a complete cluster**** of asset placement. Very crowded, very few balanced spots to camp for humans, loads of cool mobility for vampires though.

I personally disagree, I think this map is awesome for this reason, all the cover, the corners and such make it a much more dynamic make, which requires tighter team-play by the humans and you have to keep moving from station to station rather than sit in a single spot, and gives vamps a lot of spots to jump from.

From a human stand point, I enjoyed this the most as it was the most exciting
From a vamp stand point, I think this is the best map, as it's not so open and clear so that scouts can snipe you from across the map.

Honestly speaking, played the most fun games on this map.

Hugbringer
24th Dec 2013, 13:57

Also my eternal dislike for map edge walls not being climbable to at least a ledge somewhere below sight range into the big void beyond grows massively on this one, since while there is cover everywhere to approach on the ground, the walls are usually fairly far apart - and usually you can't climb 2-3 of them.

I'm going to unfortuantely disagree with the 'Cluster' of asset placement as well. I played on it maybe 6 times and want to say that its not nearly as bad for the humans as it might seem. I've seen both vamps and humans dominate on that map. There seemed to be 2 good spots for humans that I'd noticed so far. One was by the Gate/Drawbridge by one of the arena walls, and the other was in a rubbled courtyard flanked by a building in the map corner and a damaged 'over-pass' looking bugger. Both had 2 healing stations close by, room to spread out and long lines of fire over the walls. I personally feel the humans work better when they are moving as team instead of camping anyway, makes it harder for the vamps to 'choose the battlefield' and is more exciting. Though I understand the natural intuition is to huddle in a corner and play a refused flank tactic.

I do agree though with the climbable outside walls as in Sommerdamm and the human 'camping spot' by the Gate/Draw bridge worries me a bit. It seems to be the better of the spots to be at as all the surrounding terrain is 1 level high and the avenues of approach are all long alley ways. Being able to go up along the outer wall and either come down from above or get behind (Not literally, but close enough) would make that camping spot a bit less potent. Skilled humans in that spot won't let a vamp even hardly get close enough to throw a smoke grenade. Maybe we just lacked a decent tyrant :)

I do wish more maps had an outer 'halo' in which the vamps could use to come from all sides and humans couldn't reach, instead of all fights eventually becoming a 'back to the wall and hold the line' encounter. Though I doubt that'll ever functionally happen due to balance concerns.

Monkeythumbz
7th Jan 2014, 13:43
The visual design of the new map is awesome. It's very, very obvious that the people who worked on it studied their Blood Omen 2 reference material :).

Means a lot you saying that, Ben! Thanks :-)