PDA

View Full Version : Outfits should not be earned.

Mate
7th Apr 2008, 20:55
I didn't like the outfits as prizes in the two previous games. I loved them yes, which is why I didn't like them to be so hard to get. All the outfits should come "free" with the game, it is OK that the first time you play a level you use the default, cuz there are reasons for them (wheather) but i think that after you've finished the story, there should be all outfits available to replay levels.
If they still want to give outfits as rewards, PLEASE EIDOS don't put things THAT hard. The gold artifacts were SOOO hard to find, and the majority of the time trials too.

Sorin
7th Apr 2008, 23:20
I didn't like the outfits as prizes in the two previous games. I loved them yes, which is why I didn't like them to be so hard to get. All the outfits should come "free" with the game, it is OK that the first time you play a level you use the default, cuz there are reasons for them (wheather) but i think that after you've finished the story, there should be all outfits available to replay levels.
If they still want to give outfits as rewards, PLEASE EIDOS don't put things THAT hard. The gold artifacts were SOOO hard to find, and the majority of the time trials too.

If Underworld has the pitifully small amount of outfits that Anniversary had, I'd be more inclined to agree. But I don't know, there were an awful lot of outfits in Legend to keep me happy. Some of them were gold rewards, some of them were time trial rewards. But there were also a lot of outfits rewarded for other things. One thing I do agree with however, is that the bikinis shouldn't require all time trials and/or 100% completion :D.

I just hope Underworld has more outfits than Anniversary had. Anniversary barely had any, and they were 'meh' to boot.

Bampire
7th Apr 2008, 23:25
AGreed with the first two posts. I'd love for TR:U to have more outfits, but in ways, it doesn't take an arm and a leg to get. Somethings are too difficult to get..

pinkangel07
8th Apr 2008, 01:40
I just hope Underworld has more outfits than Anniversary had. Anniversary barely had anyway, and they were 'meh' to boot.

I totally agree. You could say I prefer the "Barbie doll Dress-up Lara" to the... pixel Lara/Skeleton-Muscle Lara/ Gold Lara/wet suit Lara. :D

What can I say?

Legend had a bunch of outfits that I could have Lara replay in. For example, the TR1 outfit came in 2 colors. (woot!) And the Shirt/Shorts combos were cool too, my fave was the blue. AND she had exercise outfits AND 2 catsuits. :D AND she had dresses... AND winter outfits, with or without the jackets in 3 colors... yeah, I pretty much loved dressing her... it's a tad embarrasing, lol.

Imaginary Whisk
8th Apr 2008, 04:41
I always ended up suiting her in the one from AoD or the Catsuit anyways. To many outfit selections makes it feel to much like other games Such as the Sims or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. ☼__☼

As long as they're Not doing stuff like giving special resistance to damage or something lame like that, then I'm happy. :/

TDK
8th Apr 2008, 08:39
na i think its good to earn the outfits i ws watching tr film last night and there is alot of great outfits tht angelina wears such as the pajama it was really cool ones

Lo
8th Apr 2008, 09:00
It's funny but I always maintained I wasn't really that fussed about Lara's outfits. Until they put her in that wretched denim ensemble in AoD :eek:

Because the controls were a bit 'buggy', I felt inclined to blame everything on that one outfit :p Denim is not designed for flexibility ;)

Werner Von Croy
8th Apr 2008, 10:06
It's funny but I always maintained I wasn't really that fussed about Lara's outfits. Until they put her in that wretched denim ensemble in AoD :eek:

Because the controls were a bit 'buggy', I felt inclined to blame everything on that one outfit :p Denim is not designed for flexibility ;)

Oh I liked that, but know what you mean denim isn't very practical for climbing on a rainy day in gay Paris :lol:

Lo
8th Apr 2008, 10:31
LOL, you'd expect a man to loathe it more than a woman because of the lack of flesh on display :p But I disliked it because it looked so oppressive and, as you say, not very practical.

Wearing tight denims when scaling drain pipes and roof tops is the equivalent of wearing a Mr. Blobby suit to a Led Zeppelin concert :nut:

Werner Von Croy
8th Apr 2008, 10:33
LOL, you'd expect a man to loathe it more than a woman because of the lack of flesh on display :p But I disliked it because it looked so oppressive and, as you say, not very practical.

Wearing tight denims when scaling drain pipes and roof tops is the equivalent of wearing a Mr. Blobby suit to a Led Zeppelin concert :nut:

:lol: :lol: Blobby blobby blobby

Lo
8th Apr 2008, 10:38
:lol: Hey Wern, sorry to run off topic but...just briefly...did you know Noel Edmonds is chatting up contestants backstage and asking 'Dinner. Deal or no deal?' Wha? :lol:

Anyway erm...outfits...

I love the evening dress in Legend. I love the Nevada combats too. I think my least fave is the 40 Fathoms short diving skinnies because she had nothing on her feet. Filthy mare :p

Werner Von Croy
8th Apr 2008, 10:41
:lol: Hey Wern, sorry to run off topic but...just briefly...did you know Noel Edmonds is chatting up contestants backstage and asking 'Dinner. Deal or no deal?' Wha? :lol:

Anyway erm...outfits...

I love the evening dress in Legend. I love the Nevada combats too. I think my least fave is the 40 Fathoms short diving skinnies because she had nothing on her feet. Filthy mare :p

Yeah liked evening gown I didn't like Doppleganger from TRA

Noel Edmonds only has one thing going for him, his dosh he's got amazing blue eyes but apart from that he really has nothing else, his dress sense is a lot to be desired with they horrendous shirts :lol: Paul O Grady's been hilarious recently, not seen wee Buster for a while :( Hope he's ok

Jezyk
8th Apr 2008, 11:14
I don't really think outfits were difficult to get. I'm not a great new-gen TR player (can't make most of the time trials in TRA), but getting the outfits is not a problem for me. To be honest I love the idea of searching for secrets and doing time trials not just for the sake of satisfaction but for the outfits too.
I could only agree if TRA time trials had outfits as a prize. That WOULD be too much.

LisaB1962
8th Apr 2008, 12:26
Most games require outfits to be "earned" somehow. Usually one is unlocked upon completion, but most are unlocked through subsequent achievements. Some can be quite difficult to get. (Kaede's alt in Onimusha requires beating the game with the highest ranking.) In fact, MOST require completion of another game, so when you think of all the outfits that can be unlocked with a single play of TR, we're getting off cheap.

I prefer unusual outfits that make replay interesting, so the same outfit in another color won't make me want to replay the game.

And any outfit that cliches Lara as a sex-kitten should be right out. (I'm looking at you Japan dress.) I can't believe people are complaining about how unpractical tight denim is for climbing, yet the Japan dress makes perfect sense. :nut: At least in AOD Lara didn't set out to start an adventure in denim; the events caught her unawares. Yet I'm supposed to believe she knew she was going into a fire fight and chose that dress? How stupid am I supposed to believe Lara is? Funny how the desire for realism is relative to the amount of skin exposed. :whistle:

Mangar The Dark
8th Apr 2008, 13:34
I can't believe people are complaining about how unpractical tight denim is for climbing, yet the Japan dress makes perfect sense. :nut: At least in AOD Lara didn't set out to start an adventure in denim; the events caught her unawares. Yet I'm supposed to believe she knew she was going into a fire fight and chose that dress? How stupid am I supposed to believe Lara is?

Exactly!! Took the words right out of my mouth. In AOD, Lara thought she was just visiting her old mentor, so a denim outfit for a rainy day in Paris is perfectly fine. The Japan dress was just ridiculous, and not well-suited for anything (unless she was trying to get a job with Hugh Hefner.)

jayjay119
8th Apr 2008, 15:43
At least in AOD Lara didn't set out to start an adventure in denim; the events caught her unawares. Yet I'm supposed to believe she knew she was going into a fire fight and chose that dress? How stupid am I supposed to believe Lara is? Funny how the desire for realism is relative to the amount of skin exposed. :whistle:

THANKYOU, I was wondering when somebody was going to mention that lol. Lara wasn't intending for another adventure so she wouldn't have come equiped with her shorts and holsters. Plus I gotta say though Denim isn't that constricting depending on the type you wear. I actually quite liked the denim outfit, it was nice to see Lara in some normal clothes for a change. The dress in TRL was a bit stupid, I mean are we really supposed to believe that Lara just shoved her gins into her garters? I'm not against Lara in a dress though, like in chronicles, it needs to be classy, not over sexed! ****

On the topic of the post though, I think CD should strive for a Back-catalogue of costumes Lara has worn in the past. None of the stupid ones like the 'doppleganger' or 'legend union-jack' though!

Fickji
8th Apr 2008, 15:46
So, exactly what type of dress/non dress would you rather have her wear?

Just asking out of curiosity, most people don't like it. But I did, just not the bust line(she should have fallen out of it just once to make it realistic with all the jumps)

I was fine with unlocking outfits but not with time trials. Ok I'll admit I HATE TIME TRIALS, HATE THEM HATE THEM. So unlocking anything with time trials is a bad idea.

But unlocking outfits through finding rewards, yeah I'm ok with it. Actually the more special the outfit the harder the getting should be. Like playing as another character. But others should just be easy, like just get "bronze rewards" that are easier to get for most of the outfits. More special stuff like cheats should be harder to find.

And all color changes for certain outfits should be included in an easy to use menu for that outfit. Not like Legend.

BUT NO TIME TRIALS MANDATORY TO GET CHEATS NOR OUTFITS.

ChOnyD
8th Apr 2008, 16:25
I think outfits should be earned through unlockables, I mean just think about the replayability value. (Very important to games)

If the outfits needed to be unlocked through going back, finding rewards, and REPLAYing levels with time trials, then there would be tons of replay time.

Now with that said, I'm not saying that there wouldn't be any replay value if there were no unlockables... Just that there would most likely be less. :nut: :)

AND, I like the feeling of accomplishment when I just completed a time trial or found a hidden treasure to earn a great reward. Well, it could be just me...:rolleyes:

LisaB1962
8th Apr 2008, 17:25
So, exactly what type of dress/non dress would you rather have her wear?

Something that was at least going to stay in place. I didn't even mind the guns appearing through slits, but just the thought that any woman would actually select an outfit like that for action insulted me. We're smarter than that.

But I would have accepted this:

http://cmerry.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/_5200126.jpg

Of course, it would look more . . . um more with Lara's dimensions, but at least it wouldn't look like she had to use twelve rolls of Hollywood Fashion Tape to keep it in place. :cool:

Mate
8th Apr 2008, 19:29
I DID like the Japan dress in Legend. I think you misunderstood that part of the game. Lara wasnt exactly PLANNING to have an action adventure, she went to have a peaceful negociation with Takamoto and things just didnt go as expected. She brought her guns just in case. As for the dress...she had to wear something to fit well in the party environment.

Fickji
8th Apr 2008, 20:07
LisaB

Something that was at least going to stay in place. I didn't even mind the guns appearing through slits, but just the thought that any woman would actually select an outfit like that for action insulted me. We're smarter than that.

But I would have accepted this:

Thank You LisaB. I think this also would have been more appropriate to the Lara image.

Mate I DID like the Japan dress in Legend. I think you misunderstood that part of the game. Lara wasnt exactly PLANNING to have an action adventure, she went to have a peaceful negociation with Takamoto and things just didnt go as expected. She brought her guns just in case. As for the dress...she had to wear something to fit well in the party environment.

Lara was going into negotiations with Shogo Takamoto and she knew from past experiance was dangerous and would most likely try to kill her and probably did try in the past. His character bio said he had been disgraced by Lara in the past. He was part of the Yakuza and so she would have known it would be dangerous. Thus the guns and her bag.

Imaginary Whisk
8th Apr 2008, 20:23
Well, she brought guns & her headset and was planing on using a contact to meet with someone who despises her for something that occurred in a past event... You're telling me, that this doesn't scream "gun-fight"? :rolleyes:

The denim outfit would be a nice unlockable. But when I was mentioning the AoD outfit, I meant the vest & camouflaged pants. D:

Overall I wouldn't mind if Time Trials stayed, but maybe if they unlocked something other than outfits or cheats. Like maybe a hidden weapon pertaining to the level that wouldn't be unlocked by turning "All Weapons" on. Not to be nerdy, but I think a compound-bow would be interesting. Or if they brought the quad course back to her home, unlocking different vehicles with the Time Trails would be interesting. But please not clothes or cheats, not everybody enjoys grinding through a games content to get to the extra fun... I think artifacts & Relics were enough of an accomplishment. :(

EDIT:
Just another thought, maybe as far as time trials go they could make it so completing them unlocks some of the "doors" in her house? Just a though. :D

pinkangel07
8th Apr 2008, 23:21

I thought Lara thought she was going to a swank dinner party... then worse came to worse and she just ripped her dress and got out her guns and popped a cap in his.... rear. :nut:

Werner Von Croy
8th Apr 2008, 23:26
I thought Lara thought she was going to a swank dinner party... then worse came to worse and she just ripped her dress and got out her guns and popped a cap in his.... rear. :nut:

And I bet that was a Gucchi too what a waste :lol:

LisaB1962
8th Apr 2008, 23:43

Meh, the insults fly pretty quick in the cut scene; I doubt Lara ever believed it wouldn't become violent. But even if Lara were an optimist, it'd be stupid to be so unprepared by wearing something so impractical.

Mate
9th Apr 2008, 01:32
well you might be right. Even though, I dont think it was THAT impractical. She must have thought of the material of her dress, which, after all, she was able to rip rapidly. She only had to kick off her shoes (whether they were Gucci or not), take her guns from a little bag, and rip her dress in a fast way, come on, it doesnt sound that hard to do. All that can be done in 5 or 6 secs, but for lara croft it takes less than that, im sure

Werner Von Croy
9th Apr 2008, 08:39
well you might be right. Even though, I dont think it was THAT impractical. She must have thought of the material of her dress, which, after all, she was able to rip rapidly. She only had to kick off her shoes (whether they were Gucci or not), take her guns from a little bag, and rip her dress in a fast way, come on, it doesnt sound that hard to do. All that can be done in 5 or 6 secs, but for lara croft it takes less than that, im sure

You know I have often wondered that, how the hell did Lara get two Guns and a rucksack from that tiny little handbag? :scratch: It must be the tardis in there or something, not to mention the gun holster as well

LisaB1962
9th Apr 2008, 12:07

The material doesn't have anything to do with it. It's gravity that's the issue. There's some dresses that are "standing around dresses" and that's one of them, because nothing stays put if you move around too much. Get my meaning? ;)

The dress probably had those velcro sides. Ever see the NBA players rip off those pants to go into the game?

Fickji
9th Apr 2008, 17:07
You know I have often wondered that, how the hell did Lara get two Guns and a rucksack from that tiny little handbag? :scratch: It must be the tardis in there or something, not to mention the gun holster as well

I thought that little handbag was just her backpack in disguise. Like with detachable and retachable handles to make it look like a pursy type handbag.

Maybe its just wishful thinking and too many red tart cherries from a can but I'm sure she had her backpack on after the dress ripping thing.

The tardis is right with all those guns in anniversary. Do you think she's got the doctor in there too?

Jezyk
9th Apr 2008, 17:17
Yep, the bag and the backpack is the same object.

pinkangel07
9th Apr 2008, 22:00
And I bet that was a Gucchi too what a waste :lol:

You mean Gucci?? I expect no less from a man. :) lol

I have to admit... I liked playing with the dress, but only for that level. Any where else and it didn't feel natural (duh). I say keep the dress, but have a good level for Lara to play it in.

Tomb-Dude
9th Apr 2008, 22:44
she pulled the guns from under her dress. When my sister saw that, (my sister is 25) said things on where she was keeping them. Made me laugh causing me to die on that part. But it is pretty strange pulling guns from under the dress? :scratch:
The handbag was her back pack in discuise :whistle:

But i think outfits should be earned as a few of them are earned getting the rewards (all in TR:A) but also some of them you get when you complete a level :D

Werner Von Croy
9th Apr 2008, 23:27
You mean Gucci?? I expect no less from a man. :) lol

I have to admit... I liked playing with the dress, but only for that level. Any where else and it didn't feel natural (duh). I say keep the dress, but have a good level for Lara to play it in.

How DARE you I am a gay dear :lol: Yes I mean Gucchi

Mate
10th Apr 2008, 02:35
"Gucci" goes WITHOUT h, god that's general knowledge

Jezyk
10th Apr 2008, 11:05
Uh, actually she took her guns out of the bag/backpack and not from under the dress :rolleyes:

Werner Von Croy
10th Apr 2008, 12:39
"Gucci" goes WITHOUT h, god that's general knowledge

And? I got burnt hands so who cares whether there's an H in Gucci:rasp:

JordG
10th Apr 2008, 13:01
If Underworld has the pitifully small amount of outfits that Anniversary had, I'd be more inclined to agree. But I don't know, there were an awful lot of outfits in Legend to keep me happy. Some of them were gold rewards, some of them were time trial rewards. But there were also a lot of outfits rewarded for other things. One thing I do agree with however, is that the bikinis shouldn't require all time trials and/or 100% completion :D.

I just hope Underworld has more outfits than Anniversary had. Anniversary barely had any, and they were 'meh' to boot.

I Totally Agree, I Think That Outfits Should Be There For You So You Can Enjoy The Game Many Ways, What I Didn't Like Bout Anniversary There Was Hardly N E And That Doesn't Make Me Enjoy The Game So Much... What I Found Dissapointing About Legend Is That You Couldn't Wear The Bikini's Out On Missions:( So I Think In Underworld There Should Be A Wide Selection Like Legend Had And Bring Back The Old Outfits I Loved The Snow Suit And The Evening Ripped In Legend I Liked The Wetsuit And I Like Playing Amanda In Legend, I Think They Should Have Every Costume Lara Has Wore Even In The Films.... They Should Let Us Have Diffrent Costumes Like Amanda In TRL... I Think That They Should Let Us Have Different People As Costumes So Say There Was A Mercenary We Could Dress Up Like Them Or Something... Just To Make The Game Play Exciting:)

Mate
10th Apr 2008, 19:25
I Totally Agree, I Think That Outfits Should Be There For You So You Can Enjoy The Game Many Ways, What I Didn't Like Bout Anniversary There Was Hardly N E And That Doesn't Make Me Enjoy The Game So Much... What I Found Dissapointing About Legend Is That You Couldn't Wear The Bikini's Out On Missions:( So I Think In Underworld There Should Be A Wide Selection Like Legend Had And Bring Back The Old Outfits I Loved The Snow Suit And The Evening Ripped In Legend I Liked The Wetsuit And I Like Playing Amanda In Legend, I Think They Should Have Every Costume Lara Has Wore Even In The Films.... They Should Let Us Have Diffrent Costumes Like Amanda In TRL... I Think That They Should Let Us Have Different People As Costumes So Say There Was A Mercenary We Could Dress Up Like Them Or Something... Just To Make The Game Play Exciting:)

i TOTALLY agree.

Werner Von Croy
10th Apr 2008, 19:32
i TOTALLY agree.

Do you know a sentance always starts with a capital, also the verb of "I" begins with a capital god that's general knowledge :rasp:

Tomb-Dude
10th Apr 2008, 21:12
Do you know a sentance always starts with a capital, also the verb of "I" begins with a capital god that's general knowledge :rasp:

Werner please don't go annoying people. Remember last time you got acused of telling the person to shut up. :rasp:

Werner Von Croy
10th Apr 2008, 21:14
Werner please don't go annoying people. Remember last time you got acused of telling the person to shut up. :rasp:

I know couldn't resist was just telling Emily Pankhurst how to use grammar properly :rasp:

Tomb-Dude
10th Apr 2008, 21:18
I know couldn't resist was just telling Emily Pankhurst how to use grammar properly :rasp:

:lol:
Be nice about it, God people and manners these days. Discrasful... (i can't even spell)

Werner Von Croy
10th Apr 2008, 21:21
:lol:
Be nice about it, God people and manners these days. Discrasful... (i can't even spell)

:o Ok blaming the morphine :o

Tomb-Dude
10th Apr 2008, 21:25
:o Ok blaming the morphine :o

:lol: :lol:

Morphine is good :thumbsup: stops pain, makes you happy...:lmao:

(Like the way we changed hte topic to our own little confo)

ElevenTR
13th Apr 2008, 14:51

That musta taken AGES with all the capitals! lol.

To stay on topic though, i bet Nishimura San was REALLY peed off when she ripped that dress (it was a gift from him to her xD)

ElevenTR
13th Apr 2008, 14:53

S-E-N-T-E-N-C-E

:rolleyes:

Jezyk
14th Apr 2008, 11:32
We've already asked this guy to write normally and he still uses capitals all the time O_O
Personally I ignore most of his posts because they're tiresome to read.

4croftsake
14th Apr 2008, 11:40
I agree, the outfits for Lara should be aquired upon completeing certain levels or menial tasks in levels. Tomb Raider: Legend was a bit annoying, due to the fact you had to complete time trials, which are not my favourite tasks in any game. I have tried Tomb Raider: Anniversary time trials and they are far more difficult to complete, but thank god they do not unlock the outfits.

rg_001100
15th Apr 2008, 03:59
The whole legend-japan dress was cause she was going to a party,

the guns were just the "accessories" (good ones, too)

I'm amazed everytime I play that level, in the short time she jumps behind the counter she does a half dozen things or so, (shoes off, guns out, holsters...)

Convenient bag. The one in TR3 is an armoury isn't it (MP5, shotgun, bazooka, grenade launcher, etc..)?

diTaykan
18th Apr 2008, 04:07
As long as they're Not doing stuff like giving special resistance to damage or something lame like that, then I'm happy. :/

This makes me wonder-- did anyone else feel like certain outfits somehow worked better for completing certain time trials?

mimi90
18th Apr 2008, 14:41

i think it's a good thin to have them locked... there are so many games that once you've completed it that's it... but at least with this you have a reason to go back... tbh I don't think the gold artifacts were that hard to find... they were just cleverly placed.

_Tomb_Raider_
20th Apr 2008, 15:55
I don't agree, beacose that what makes me to find all artifact, specila in Legend, there was a looooot of oufit.