PDA

View Full Version : The Dentons (vote three times)

jordan_a
5th Apr 2008, 19:19
So far there have been various opinions about how the Dentons should be considered for DX3.

IT'S A MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL, there are 2 alternatives per choice, please vote. :scratch:

The issue here is whether one can dissociate Deus Ex from the Dentons.

Blade_hunter
5th Apr 2008, 19:55
I vote 1a) 2a) 3a)
Beacause the dentons are the most advenced nanotech agents (they have some mechanical powers and keep an human look)
The previous "models" of agents are Anna, Gunther, Jordan and Walton (from DX 1)
And DX 1 and 2 uses the dentons JC for the 1 Alex for the 2

The "clones" can made something interresting to the game ...

jordan_a
5th Apr 2008, 20:03
1b, 2b, 3a for my part, that would bring some change.

Kevyne-Shandris
5th Apr 2008, 20:07

NO!

Deus Ex isn't Deus Ex without JC. Paul was even expendable in DX1, so even by canon standards he's second to JC.

So to me, none of the above poll questions applies.

Vasarto
5th Apr 2008, 22:58
I think we should be able to play as paul. Making alliances with the paris people and meeting those whom we never saw in number 1. Going through paul's life and missions he did before JC arrived. Than finnaly the Final mission...which would be like an epiloge thing. GO meet JC at the Pier Docks...Hence the Beginning of DX 1.

Gary_Savage
6th Apr 2008, 03:20
That, or we could even follow Paul past JC's meeting him in Hong Kong (as in DX' Zodiac mod), and taking on UNATCO/MJ12, and maybe even the Illuminati, later on, since he was allied with Tong.

Blade_hunter
6th Apr 2008, 16:01
I don't know but most of us think this DX is a prequel intehead of a sequel ....

Gary_Savage
6th Apr 2008, 16:18
O, I meant starting off as a prequel (I seriously want a prequel), but (if the story writing, resources, and time permit) following the story into the DX1 period. I would certainly like to know what Paul was up to, when Manderley said that he had not reported back, yet. I am sure that Manderley could have known, with his always on infolink, but somehow Paul managed to elude everyone. I want to delve into these mysteries.

jordan_a
6th Apr 2008, 21:59
The polls seem clear: no revolution wanted! :D

Illuminati
6th Apr 2008, 22:05
Although the idea of playing as paul and hear his story is intriguing, I'd rather see new things.

Imagine playing as paul.. If ur a hordcore DX fan like most of us here, then u would already know what to expect.
That would be a bit disappointing to me..

Larington
6th Apr 2008, 22:16
As long as the feel and elements of the themes of DX1 are carried forward, fundamental differences in the story shouldn't hamper the games reception too much, in my opinion anyway.

Vasarto
8th Apr 2008, 02:14
As long as the feel and elements of the themes of DX1 are carried forward, fundamental differences in the story shouldn't hamper the games reception too much, in my opinion anyway.
Yes I agree. I am kinda really hoping for a prequal cuz I would really love to
play as paul and see what his side of things were before Deus Ex 1. His secret Betrayal. His missions with the Triads and the Paris terrorists and
the places he has been and done. If they did that and kept it as great
with all the same feel and elements as the first game than I think deus ex
3 will be even better than the first....maybe.

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 02:41
Although the idea of playing as paul and hear his story is intriguing, I'd rather see new things.

Imagine playing as paul.. If ur a hordcore DX fan like most of us here, then u would already know what to expect.
That would be a bit disappointing to me..

Sure, a lot of us have played DX1 so many times, as to know where the guards are, before we even peek around the wall, but perhaps DX3 could still have multiple endings, even if we played as Paul? Sure, nothing would change the events in DX1, but:

1) DX3 could end some time before the events of DX1, so that by the time of DX1 everything becomes the DX1 world we all know and love.

OR,

2) Paul's prequel could start out before the events of DX1 (I have suggested that before, somewhere), continue through the events of DX1 (so you get to not report back to Manderly, after JC takes out the NSF generator in NYC), and continue beyond Paul's being saved from the killswitch (okay, so I am forcing a story event, but I so want Paul to live), so we get to play him beyond the time that JC was in Hong Kong. Paul was always so secretive, so it is not unreasonable to think that Paul was behind some of the things that happened in DX1, like the explosion at OceanLab's underwater facility, so maybe we get to follow Paul through there. Since Jock was so good with secrets, maybe he did not tell JC that he was also transporting Paul. Maybe we even get to follow Paul's actions beyond JC's DX1 endings; perhaps he was helping restore order, as the MJ12 collapsed, with the fall of Area 51, or perhaps he organized resistance to the Illuminati's new bid for world power, or perhaps he opposed Helios' seeking to control everything. Maybe this is the point where Paul has to make his endgame choices: whether to ally with the Illuminati (or to fight them), or to oppose Helios (or to fight those who oppose it), or to take the long route of helping the individual small groups (like Silhouette, NSF, etc.) restore order in their own respective territories (as in Tong's Dark Age).

Just my thoughts, why we could have a great game, and still get to follow Paul, starting with a prequel.

P.S. Is it just me, or are the positions of the guards, and a few other things, different in the version downloadable from Steam, as compared to the DX GOTY edition from 7 years ago?

WhatsHisFace
8th Apr 2008, 03:15
I don't know but most of us think this DX is a prequel intehead of a sequel ....

And Eidos has been working tirelessly to reverse that notion.

Gary_Savage
8th Apr 2008, 03:45
And Eidos has been working tirelessly to reverse that notion.

I'm not so sure: the concept art shows mechanical augs. Of course, it is possible that law enforcement agencies went back to mech augs because of the potential for nano augs to hide among the public, to cause trouble; say the MJ12 MiBs/WiBs became ordinary citizens, in the aftermath of DX1, and some of the more notorious ones started causing trouble, leading law enforcement to think that their super-agents should always stand out in the crowd.

Bloodwolf806
8th Apr 2008, 17:37
1a, 2a, 3a.

Deus Ex isn't Deus Ex without the Dentons.

Imagine Zelda without Link, Halo with out Master Chief, Half-Life without Gordon, Tomb Raider without Croft.

It just doesn't happen.

Also, if Deus Ex 3 is a sequel to Invisible War, I would like Alex to return as well.

Xcom
8th Apr 2008, 18:11
All those options are valid, as far as I am concerned, but it should be possible to continue the game without Dentons in the lead.

jordan_a
8th Apr 2008, 18:46
We have 39/60 allowed votes... :(

Should I erase that thread and create a new one in which title I will precise it's a multichoice poll?

Xcom
8th Apr 2008, 21:44
I am not sure I understand what you mean ???

jordan_a
8th Apr 2008, 22:33
Well 20 have voted, and 3 questions are submitted thus 3 votes: 3x20 = 60 votes. And we only have 39/60 so far.

Maybe we should repost the thread and underline the availibity to vote three times. To erase or transfer that topic within a new thread.

Xcom
9th Apr 2008, 08:09
Well, as you pointed out yourself:

This can obviously be answered and clarified in a post instead of voting, so a poll is not that important in this case (IMO). :)

pHdeus
10th Apr 2008, 02:08
I have too much to say for this post, but I will start with my aspirations.

The creation of Deus Ex was the creation of something that had not been seen before and perhaps since. The artistry and dedication, and attention to detail has not been seen at least by me before or since. Creating a being in the future world in a way that allowed you to Be the being in the future world was a unique gift. (Yes, I know it get the RPG label, but I think there was more there.)

Perhaps what would make Deus Ex 3 as good as the first is that it would be as unexpected, as artistic, as challenging, as thought provoking, as literary, true to the being of human being, as evolutionary in relationships. A game where you don't know or know the wrong thing, and where some people you meet are just people and not important to the plot or your actions. A game where the ordinary is profound because it is grounded in the way real life works. ..complaining about soda machines, having an office and a boss.

So like the dragon fly, Deus Ex it is headed somewhere and it carries with it the DNA of the previous two games, but where it will end is anyones guess.

dani
10th Apr 2008, 21:17
Kill everything (including all children at all levels). Gunter will help to achieve this mission. The player will become a God at the end of the game.

Voltaire
22nd Apr 2008, 16:02
1a, 2a, 3a.

Imagine Zelda without Link, Halo with out Master Chief, Half-Life without Gordon, Tomb Raider without Croft.

It just doesn't happen.

Also, if Deus Ex 3 is a sequel to Invisible War, I would like Alex to return as well.

I'm not sure. I voted 1b, 2a, 3a. I think DX is more like a saga series, not an "adventures of" series. I don't know.

I would like to learn more about Paul though, as he was obviously the only person in DX1 that you HAD to trust. I think it would be cool to find out something about him that would make you go "oh!" when you played through DX1 after playing DX3. Like some major plot thang. Paul saves Walt Simons' life, that kind of thing.

Tracer Tong
22nd Apr 2008, 18:46
I would like to learn more about Paul though, as he was obviously the only person in DX1 that you HAD to trust. I think it would be cool to find out something about him that would make you go "oh!" when you played through DX1 after playing DX3.

Sounds great! Haven't thought of it up until now and it would make a great plot

Gary_Savage
24th Apr 2008, 01:29
Like some major plot thang. Paul saves Walt Simons' life, that kind of thing.

That would be cool, something like this would come about in the DX3 plot. Considering that Paul bled for me, when I led the NSF bot onto the dock (despite having a GEP gun), in DX1, I think that it is plausible that Paul would save the life of anyone in trouble.

I think it would be cool to find out something about him that would make you go "oh!" when you played through DX1 after playing DX3.

I really LOVE that idea. I loved the Paul character from the first time I played DX1. It gave me a sense of why younger siblings cling to the elder ones. I'd really love to play Paul, again (yes, I enjoyed the ZODIAC mod, eventhough there he was more a lone wolf, than a big brother), and meet some of the old gang, like Smuggler, the NYC bartender, Juan Lebedev, Tracer Tong, and my namesake. My current avatar is testimony to how much I like Paul.

Interesting to note, Voltaire, your post is numbered, starting with "747," the very place where your trust (i.e., the player's trust, in DX1) in Paul is put to the test.

auric
27th Apr 2008, 04:14
Just spraying thoughts here about the story.

We're a prototype Nano Aug (got problems ;) )
not related to the Denton's DNA.

Learn or even meet the original host of the Denton clones (assuming he/she exists & not 100% gene engineered from nothing)

Meet the younger Gunther / Anna / both, when they are more human.

Jonno
30th Apr 2008, 09:59
I think the main character should be Paul. Before all of the stuff of DX1. Go through Paul's shoes. From the time of Pauls arival at UNATCO to the point of where DX1 begins, from Hong Kong, to making alliances with the NSF. :)

EDIT: As Vasarto said. Play it from begining to where DX1 takes off, maybe even a little after until JC's espionage.

auric
30th Apr 2008, 19:25
I think the main character should be Paul. Before all of the stuff of DX1. Go through Paul's shoes. From the time of Pauls arival at UNATCO to the point of where DX1 begins, from Hong Kong, to making alliances with the NSF. :)

EDIT: As Vasarto said. Play it from begining to where DX1 takes off, maybe even a little after until JC's espionage.

Well I hope they make that as an expension set or something. Maybe after the part 3. :)

Part 3 as a prequel, leading to an expension of Paul's part, than Part 1 JC's part
:)

rhalibus
30th Apr 2008, 20:22
I wouldn't mind a Paul Denton adventure--Steve Tack's ZODIAC mod used Paul as the protagonist and he found a lot of cool missions to create...But if the game does become a prequel and take place in 2027, it would be a few years before JC Denton was born (he was 23 in 2052, according to canon)...So maybe the most we would get would be a very minor reference to the whole Denton clone project...

auric
30th Apr 2008, 20:26
I haven't finish Paul's Mod last time & lost the files.

Where can i dl another?

auric
3rd May 2008, 07:18
Ok, I got the Zodiac mod again, dl the full version or so they call it, around 61mb

after patching & installing it, I start the game it begins in liberty island as JC.
what's wrong, or do we have to start like that?

rhalibus
4th May 2008, 03:08
While I don't exactly want to change this thread to a ZODIAC troubleshooting forum, I'll just say to make sure you're starting the ZODIAC executable and not the Deus Ex executable. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure; you could try some of the gamespot and ttlg forums...

Just to get back on thread, it was JC Denton's cool demeanor and monotone voice that made you identify with him and psychologically push his persona into your own ego. I hope the character you play in DX3 has more of that kind of personality instead of the more earnest Alex D of DX2...

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 22:52
I think playing as paul would suck. Picture this your about to stab a guy in the back and as you go to attack paul starts to say, you know you have a flash nade and a baton, why kill him? he turns around and shoots you in the face. How about your sniping and about kill the mission target but as you pull the trigger paul jumps in and starts his whole damn speach about how rubber bullets would be better... Come on just try a beanbag shotty for once... Dude I don't understand how he could be the main character in the prequel. In the first one I don't think he shuts up about not trying to kill anyone.

auric
24th Jun 2008, 23:15
I think playing as paul would suck. Picture this your about to stab a guy in the back and as you go to attack paul starts to say, you know you have a flash nade and a baton, why kill him? he turns around and shoots you in the face. How about your sniping and about kill the mission target but as you pull the trigger paul jumps in and starts his whole damn speach about how rubber bullets would be better... Come on just try a beanbag shotty for once... Dude I don't understand how he could be the main character in the prequel. In the first one I don't think he shuts up about not trying to kill anyone.

He's not against killing nor love it.

The reason he's the way he is in 'Deus Ex: Conspiracy'
Is because he don't want JC to kill the NSF.
That's all.

Blade_hunter
25th Jun 2008, 00:07
For me playing as Paul were used on mods, the prequels too because we have the DX story to make them ....

Alex Denton
25th Jun 2008, 06:46
Well as I said, I'm kind of hoping DX3 isn't a prequel as thats been done by game series before and I'd like to see DX take a different direction. I would like to encounter both Paul and JC somewhere along the way in the story however. I'm also thinking if its a sequel we could play as a descendant of the Denton's, or a friend of theirs perhaps entered into a new augmentation program. Who knows? I would also like to see the rest of the old gang that was left out of IW. I mean its not like they all died of old age or dropped off the map in the 20 year gap between games :P

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 10:54
He's not against killing nor love it.

The reason he's the way he is in 'Deus Ex: Conspiracy'
Is because he don't want JC to kill the NSF.
That's all.

Doesn't he go on to say don't kill unatco troops as well?

auric
28th Jul 2008, 21:37
Doesn't he go on to say don't kill unatco troops as well?

I don't recall him ever saying that but I'm sure he does think that, at least for those he know back then.

Just because someone switch sides, doesn't mean they don't care about those from before.
But he don't seem to hesitate to kill NSF before joining them. The troops getting gas grenades were shocked at this.

Absentia
28th Jul 2008, 23:11
Am I the only one who wants to play a totally different character?
Deus Ex for me is not just about the Dentons. Deus Ex is about a dark and gritty world where theres a constant struggle for power, where public relations between corporate entities and normal people are practically nonexistant, where there are more underclasses than any middle-class and where governments introduce crafty schemes and never give anywhere near the full picture to the outside world.

Yes, the Dentons helped change this world dramatically, but only in the short-term. There will always be organizations who take control, there will always be corruption, there will always be this underclass who resort to drugs and prostitution and try to salvage what they can. In DX:IW you hear people talk about The Collapse, but it didnt exactly have a huge effect. People recooperated, organizations retained power and seized the general public again, and JC's actions were only limited to his construction work in Antartica, and nothing else can become of it until Alex helps him out.
It's only because of them being player characters that Alex and JC had the opportunities to actually make a big impact. In the larger scheme of things, the Dentons were just the first working experiment with nanotechnology, and better ones have been made since (the Men In Black were more advanced than you were anyway). JC got corrupted by technology, and turned into a barely-recognizeable overzealous weirdo. That's just the way things go I'm afraid, and it's just another example of how gritty and screwed up the DX world is. There's no "heroes".

I am of course, ignoring the fact that one of the endings meant that JC/Helios became the ruler of the world and used nanotechnology to link everybody together, which is kinda a big deal.
But as I've said before, I see the ending clips at the end of IW more as "visions" of the ideal outcome than true fortellings of the future.

My personal idea for a main character: An outsider. Lets play someone who for once, is NOT working for a corporation. Someone who is still connected in some way (perhaps some kind of Denton descendant, although that would be kinda cheesy and predictable) but someone who originally appears to be a nobody, but uncovers more about himself and ends up getting himself into something much much bigger. It's a nice blank canvas to work on. Hell, what do I know, they've no doubt made the entire story by now anyway.

EDIT: I realise, I may have just described Case from Neuromancer.
Oh well. It's awesome!

Freddo
29th Jul 2008, 04:56
I pretty much agree with Absentia.

I don't think the main character has to be related to the Denton, and I don't think the story needs to be around the Dentons either, although it would be nice if they had some part of it. Throw some bones to those who played the first game and so on :p

As for meeting the Dentons in the game, that's a hard one. While it could be very cool to meet JC in the game, it can also be a disaster. JC is the main character of the first game, and he behaves differently than how you played him in DX1, you might be in for a major WTF!? moment (just like how most people reacted with DX:IW). It would probably be better if the player only got information about JC thru Paul, e-mails, news, other people or whatever. Keep the players vision of JC intact.

If you played The Elder Scrolls series, for example, so are the vast majority of NPCs in Morrowind not in Oblivion and vice versa. They are stand alone games and the player doesn't need to play both to get the most of the story from one of the games, and the hero of Morrowind isn't in Oblivion. Also, how many adventures can the Dentons be a part of? They had their big glory adventure. I don't want this series to become something like a detective sitcom where some strange things happens to the main character in every new episode. Some new blood is needed, but the person should be way more interesting than the Alex dork.

Spiffmeister
29th Jul 2008, 09:28
The "embryo" in the trailer looks mechanical, so the game could be set before DX1, meaning the main character would be a mech. The Dentons would therefore not show-up, but maybe you could meet their fake/real pearents?

Fen
29th Jul 2008, 09:40
I would like to see a prequel. The Dentons are the first agents to successfully have nanoaugmentation. However it never says that there werent failed experiments in the past. I would like to see the character as an earlier prototype. Your of course going to be deemed as a failure by the organisation. And your nano-augs wont be up to par with JC's. But you would also have mechanical augs at you disposal as that would be the big technology of the time.

gh0s7
29th Jul 2008, 15:05
1b), 2b), 3a)

The Dentons should be directly involved, somehow, with the main plot of the game, absolutely. But playing as one or as a clone? I'd rather not repeat the previous games. And for that matter, meeting them isn't necessary to make it faithful to the original storyline.
But that's just my opinion. :)

urban_queen41
30th Jul 2008, 09:50
I agree with what someone mentioned before- I'd love to play as Paul, and find out something that really makes you go, 'Ohh, so that's why ________!!'
Something that nobody would expect, something that would really contribute to the game. The devs mentioned somewhere that they wished they could explore the game's characters more than they did in DX1- I think DX3 could really be a chance to do it.

jordan_a
31st Jul 2008, 01:24
137/219 allowed votes.

You can vote three times!!! :D

TrickyVein
19th Aug 2008, 11:35
you should play as Alex Jacobson - turn it into a SystemShock type hacking adventure where you need to infiltrate enemy systems and defeat dangerous nodes in order to aid the Dentons along in their missions. Maybe there is more to Jacobson then what was previously thought?

But in all seriousness, while inhabiting the same deus ex universe as the one with biomodification, versalife, illuminati and the like, DX3 can still very much be relevant to the original even without having ties to the original storyline. The Versalife base in Antartica was one of the better levels in that game (not JC's trippy sanctuary). I liked DX2 up until around Trier when it brought back Tong and then Paul was reintroduced - everything went straight to hell. As a player I didn't give a rat's ass that I was a clone of the Dentons - I felt no allegiance or ties to them - simply having JC be the cause of the Collapse was enough (I thought) to make the game relevant. I would have loved to have played through a fresh and unique story with its own characters.

Maybe you should play as Mr. Renton, having to protect your daughter from punks like JoJo, being able to evict people from the Ton - with a pistol.

gamer0004
19th Aug 2008, 11:47
Those are cool ideas if DX3 is going to be a huge succes and it will become a very poopular franchise - playing as the Rentons in an add-on would be awesome.

jordan_a
19th Aug 2008, 11:57
Maybe you should play as Mr. Renton, having to protect your daughter from punks like JoJo, being able to evict people from the Ton - with a pistol.That would be a flash game. :D

About the Dentons I would love to play someone who is not affiliated to them. That way you could develop the story from a totally new point of view, a different but very interesting angle, like a novel.

Demiurge
19th Aug 2008, 12:04
My vote is for Paul. He has such a rich history that is completely untapped. Anyways if it's a prequel the choice is between him and Simons, and I think that Simons makes a far better antagonist. Playing as Paul would serve bothe the purposes of giving people new to the series a fresh, undecided character to play, while giving us hardcore fans those "Ah, That's why he did this and became...", uncovering many of the mysteries of DX. One thing I badly want though is a LONG game, 2 years should give a lot of time for level design and I don't want a game that will take me 6 hours to finish, that is pathetic. I hate this trend of short games in recent years, what happened to giant levels?

Absentia: the MiBs were hardly a match for the mechs, let alone you. I believe the email about the Series-P Agents stated that they were "nearly as effective, at less than a quarter of the price". They were just cost-effective, and so were you.:cool:

Necros
19th Aug 2008, 12:33
I think we should be able to play as paul. Making alliances with the paris people and meeting those whom we never saw in number 1. Going through paul's life and missions he did before JC arrived. Than finnaly the Final mission...which would be like an epiloge thing. GO meet JC at the Pier Docks...Hence the Beginning of DX 1.
Hey, that's a really great idea! I love it! :cool: And as others said, continuing into DX1's story, following Paul. This would be awesome.

My choices were: 1A, 2A and 3C. :D I mean, 3A+B, a different storyline would be welcome but the main character, who is a Denton, has to be involved somewhat.

foxberg
19th Aug 2008, 13:43
1b), 2a), 3a)

If Deus Ex is to have future installments they have to move away from concentrating entirely on Dentons. It not like we had Sam Fisher as the main character in both games and we have to continue with the third. But an encounter with one of the Dentons would be welcome. How about a lone Denton's head kept alive and stored in some secret lab at the Apostecorp. Next to it is a broken crate with a visible marking of UAC (just for fun). The "Denton's Spirit" should be woven into the game plan though.

TrickyVein
24th Aug 2008, 16:54
the spirit of deus ex can be kept alive through secret passageways through bathroom stalls and man-sized maintenance air shafts anyway without the direct presence of the dentons.

ikenstein
3rd Sep 2008, 19:34
it would be neat if some of the chars that were just in emails in dx1 fetured in dx3. like leon woods and decker. i'd like the smuggler to make a comeback too.

mj12_agent13
4th Sep 2008, 06:14
I think that the dentons should be left alone personally, it gives the designers more to work with. I think the beauty of DX is the world it's set in and while the characters were great i feel there is much more of this universe to explore... A different perspective, further away than Paul, would be the best option in my opinion.

pewbeng
6th Sep 2008, 22:19
I don't know, but as I read the thread title i had to think of "The Waltons".

Just.. paint yourself a picture.

"Good night Paul..." :)

Moon Hoplite
24th Feb 2009, 06:46
I though you should meet them when they were kids (since this is a pre-equel), like meeting them in some agent training academy for kids, or a lab.

auric
24th Feb 2009, 07:31
I though you should meet them when they were kids (since this is a pre-equel), like meeting them in some agent training academy for kids, or a lab.

That's assuming the main character has even heard of UNATCO, when was it started?

by DX3's time, I'd say they are still wearing the white uniforms 1 of them mentioned, the time before Simons provided the new green uniforms.

gamer0004
24th Feb 2009, 11:02
That's assuming the main character has even heard of UNATCO, when was it started?

by DX3's time, I'd say they are still wearing the white uniforms 1 of them mentioned, the time before Simons provided the new green uniforms.

"We'd still be wearing those little white helmets" if I recall correctly.

GamerX51
24th Feb 2009, 12:46
I personally don't think that the Dentons should even be mentioned at all in DX3. As far as I'm concerned, the Denton story arc is over... I would much rather EM gave us something entirely new and different, instead of rehashing a ten year-old plot line simply to placate the Majority. :nut:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing either the Dentons or the Majority... :whistle: I just think that it's time to move on to a new, fresh perspective.

Sabretooth1
24th Feb 2009, 15:13
I think the Dentons would be kids at around the time Deus Ex 3 is set, if at all alive. I think their inception and stuff could be a major part of the game's plot, their creation as successors to and solutions to the whole mech controversy.

But I'd really prefer they stay out of the game as major characters and more importantly, that Adam isn't related to them in any way. It could be interesting to meet the Dentons' parents, though.

jamhaw
24th Feb 2009, 17:00
1b), 2a), 3a)

Next to it is a broken crate with a visible marking of UAC (just for fun). The "Denton's Spirit" should be woven into the game plan though.

That would be the greatest thing! :cool: I honestly have developed a timeline including that. (and Starcraft, Penumbra, Scratches, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Might and Magic.:o ) and others...

AaronJ
24th Feb 2009, 21:14
Take away the Dentons and you take away a part of what makes a DX game. But then again, it hasn't stopped them so far. :whistle:

Mindmute
24th Feb 2009, 21:50
Take away the Dentons and you take away a part of what makes a DX game. But then again, it hasn't stopped them so far. :whistle:

To be blunt, this isn't Harry freaking Potter.
I'd be happier with thinking that the DX universe is big and vibrant enough to allow room for two sagas (The Denton's and Adam's), than I'd be with being nudged in the direction that everything in that world gravitates around the Dentons...

But considering it's probably inevitable that the Dentons will be in this somehow, I just hope the tie-in isn't too cliché...

AaronJ
24th Feb 2009, 22:09
I'd be happier with thinking that the DX universe is big and vibrant enough to allow room for two sagas (The Denton's and Adam's), than I'd be with being nudged in the direction that everything in that world gravitates around the Dentons...

But considering it's probably inevitable that the Dentons will be in this somehow, I just hope the tie-in isn't too cliché...

It is damn ridiculous to believe that with all the mystery and potential surrounding JC's parents (and especially their death) that EM hasn't involved it/them in the story HEAVILY.

Mindmute
24th Feb 2009, 22:22
It is damn ridiculous to believe that with all the mystery and potential surrounding JC's parents (and especially their death) that EM hasn't involved it/them in the story HEAVILY.

I didn't say I don't think that's what they did, I just said I'd rather if they didn't.

hem dazon 90
26th Feb 2009, 04:19
The polls seem clear: no revolution wanted! :D

and that will be this games death blow

hem dazon 90
26th Feb 2009, 04:50

amen :thumb:

auric
26th Feb 2009, 08:58
Based on the estimations of the game through the trailer, I'd say Adam save the Denton's existence in some way. To avoid the law from banning augmentation hence making the Dentons some underground property.

Hence paving the way to legal experimentations on nano-augmentation.

In the old games they seem to take augmentations as almost no big deal, only 1 dialog was talking about it being "questionable" by 2 NSF

Guess this new game will dwell deeper into the augmentation crisis or something.

IOOI
4th Apr 2009, 20:53
I voted 1b) 2a) 3a). The reason for that is here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=962950&postcount=134).
When you finish reading my post, you'll see that there's enough reasons for the team of Black-Ops commandos to break into AJ's company headquarters.

JCD
5th Apr 2009, 11:02
I believe that the main character can be a totally different person than the Dentons. I would of course really love to see the story involving the Dentons and at some point, even meet young Paul.

The thing is that people believe that game prequels/sequels MUST have a heavy connection to the main character. I disagree.

Some games do. Imagine Hitman, Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell without 47, Lara and Sam. Not good.

Imagine Far Cry without Jack Carver. It's called Far Cry 2 :rasp: Imagine Half-Life without Gordon. Look at the expansions of the original + Portal (I consider it a Half-Life sub-title, since Black Mesa is involved)

So, DX can be seperated from JC, but not entirely. Some connections should remain, but the plot itself should focus on Adam.

---

As I see it, Adam is "the first one". Look at JC -> connection to Jesus Christ via the name, connection to a God via Deux Ex (we all know what Deus Ex Machina means), connection to the Sun God via Helios. He is a savior, a "Messiah".

Adam, we all know who he was. It would be nice to have this connection implemented in the story of DX: He is the first human in the Bible - here he can be the first serious test subject of human-aug project. He also went "rogue" from God, who exiled him from the heavens - we can see Adam losing his "faith" to the system he protects ;)

We can even see an "Eve" :thumb:

auric
5th Apr 2009, 12:22
I believe that the main character can be a totally different person than the Dentons. I would of course really love to see the story involving the Dentons and at some point, even meet young Paul.

The thing is that people believe that game prequels/sequels MUST have a heavy connection to the main character. I disagree.

Some games do. Imagine Hitman, Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell without 47, Lara and Sam. Not good.

Imagine Far Cry without Jack Carver. It's called Far Cry 2 :rasp: Imagine Half-Life without Gordon. Look at the expansions of the original + Portal (I consider it a Half-Life sub-title, since Black Mesa is involved)

So, DX can be seperated from JC, but not entirely. Some connections should remain, but the plot itself should focus on Adam.

---

As I see it, Adam is "the first one". Look at JC -> connection to Jesus Christ via the name, connection to a God via Deux Ex (we all know what Deus Ex Machina means), connection to the Sun God via Helios. He is a savior, a "Messiah".

Adam, we all know who he was. It would be nice to have this connection implemented in the story of DX: He is the first human in the Bible - here he can be the first serious test subject of human-aug project. He also went "rogue" from God, who exiled him from the heavens - we can see Adam losing his "faith" to the system he protects ;)

We can even see an "Eve" :thumb:

Wow, that's some deep thought there. :)
and I agree on everything.

I didn't know who the main character is or what the game features have until just recently reading on wikipedia. (I don't get the news on games on TV here nor do i buy PC Mags) :D

But if what wiki says is true, a lot of my expectations have been met.
Like the dumping of a universal ammo (U.A. is crazy idea considering this is the past, not the future), natural healing (seem to be a common addition in most new games now, even RTS), Interesting AI awareness improvement (AI knows & react differently to our style of approach), Mech Augmentation (I hope appearance does change when augmenting & people react differently to us, and if we can win without augs, it'll be something. ;) ).

IOOI
9th Apr 2009, 04:06
@JCD
Yes, I can see AJ kind a betraying his company and more than that I can see him as Paul's role-model and protector - after all Paul will be 8-10yo.
Thats what I was trying to imply with my news story.
Oh, and in my story Paul was the little children at the coffee house.:eek:

("---------------------REPORT---------------------
Testing the Primary Unit in real-life situation for environmental awareness.
Subject: P.D.
Test result: Pass
Commentary: although the Primary Unit succeeded in this task, the tremor effects still need to be controlled. We need them with nerves of steel! Another unit may be
required."):D

auric
9th Apr 2009, 10:21
"May be required?"

That sounds like JC was not grown yet. Which can't be the case because they grew up together.

@JCD
Yes, I can see AJ kind a betraying his company and more than that I can see him as Paul's role-model and protector - after all Paul will be 8-10yo.
Thats what I was trying to imply with my news story.
Oh, and in my story Paul was the little children at the coffee house.:eek:

("---------------------REPORT---------------------
Testing the Primary Unit in real-life situation for environmental awareness.
Subject: P.D.
Test result: Pass
Commentary: although the Primary Unit succeeded in this task, the tremor effects still need to be controlled. We need them with nerves of steel! Another unit maybe
required."):D

IOOI
9th Apr 2009, 13:08
@ auric
Nein. Paul was born around 2018 and JC was born in 2029 (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=715884&postcount=8),
My story is set around 2027-2028, at the time Paul was 10yo when the Majestic 12 decided to implant Paul's mother with a cloned embryo of Paul (JC). (http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/dx1/index2.shtm)
So as you can see, its possible.:D

Pyronox
10th Apr 2009, 15:00
Let's recap: Paul is a naturally born human, JC is a clone of Paul that was placed in his mother's womb artificially.

Didn't they say their mom raised them on her own before the "accident"? Or am I just imagining things?

Therefore:

AJ to Paul: Paul... I am your father...
Paul: K?
Fans: THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

auric
10th Apr 2009, 15:51
Let's recap: Paul is a naturally born human, JC is a clone of Paul that was placed in his mother's womb artificially.

Didn't they say their mom raised them on her own before the "accident"? Or am I just imagining things?

Therefore:

AJ to Paul: Paul... I am your father...
Paul: K?
Fans: THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

What I remember is, Lebedev talking to JC about them "both" being clones.
And JC said, they both figured that's the case.

2nd, I also remembered them saying that their parents are not their biological parents, just workers of the company who made them. But they got a bit too attached.

Oh & their father is most definitely alive & raising them with their mom.

JC: "Our dad? a Toast?"

TrickyVein
17th Apr 2009, 12:05
You should have the option to kill JC/Paul's entire family. Leave a traumatic mark on both their lives, driving them to fight terrorism and evil, propagated by you, AJ.

JCD
17th Apr 2009, 13:03
They were killed in a car accident (as JC tells us), but way after the events of DX3 - Paul had his dad making a toast at the official dinner for his honour. So, although the thought is good, it cannot be implemented :(

auric
17th Apr 2009, 16:21
They were killed in a car accident (as JC tells us), but way after the events of DX3 - Paul had his dad making a toast at the official dinner for his honour. So, although the thought is good, it cannot be implemented :(

That's assuming he's info is right.

Hagrid: "A car Crash! Lily & James Potter dying in a Car Crash !!!"

that can just be a cover up story, who knows maybe Adam have crossed paths with the Denton's parents.

Spyhopping
17th Apr 2009, 16:29
Just in case this is a spoiler- it was a cover up story. Page tells you when you are about to 'meet' the man who killed them in area 51. I remember reading some speculation here about whether that man could be weaved into the story to be Adam, but it would probably be a bit too clumsy.

auric
17th Apr 2009, 16:31
Sorry if this is a spoiler,

Don't have to be him directly.

Spyhopping
17th Apr 2009, 16:32
Oops- I decided to wrap spoiler tags around it after you quoted. Recon you could re-quote that post so that it doesn't reveal it for people? :)

Edit: sorry for completely sabotaging your post! Most people here know DX like the back of their hand, but I prefer not to spoil it for anyone.

SemiAnonymous
17th Apr 2009, 17:05
I suppose it could be wrapped into one of the endings, where Adam joins the MJ12 in whatever form they will be in. At the end of it, you see him wearing a black suit with the funky eye tatooed onto his back, on his way to do some dastardly deed (perhaps the actual murder of the Ma and Pa Denton?). That'd be kinda nifty.

gamer0004
17th Apr 2009, 17:45
That's assuming he's info is right.

Hagrid: "A car Crash! Lily & James Potter dying in a Car Crash !!!"

that can just be a cover up story, who knows maybe Adam have crossed paths with the Denton's parents.

Or - better - Voldermort crossing paths with the Dentons!

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! I mean, the whole industry has grown up. We can't ignore Harry Potter anymore.

Jerion
17th Apr 2009, 18:15

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! I mean, the whole industry has grown up. We can't ignore Harry Potter anymore.

Don't make me kill you.

SemiAnonymous
17th Apr 2009, 18:21

I can see it now:

Magic resistance aug
MP replacing Bioenergy
Spells replacing weapons
beautiful.

Irate_Iguana
17th Apr 2009, 19:57
I can see it now:

Magic resistance aug
MP replacing Bioenergy
Spells replacing weapons
beautiful.

My wand is augmented.

auric
18th Apr 2009, 00:30
My wand is augmented.
:D

H.P. Denton :D

Aguamenti = Fire Extinguisher
Alohomora = Picklock
Avada Kedavra = Sniper
Bubble-Head Charm = Aqua Lung Augmentation
Crucio = Tranquilizer
Disillusionment Charm/Invisibility Cloak - Cloak Augmentation
Expecto Patronum = EMP (specific target only)
Lumos = Light Augmentation
Silencio = Stealth Movement Augmentation

Arach666
1st Sep 2009, 02:44
I never thougth it would come to this....:(

Azrepheal
1st Sep 2009, 03:05
Hagrid: Yer a wizard, JC!
JC: ...what a shame

spm1138
1st Sep 2009, 05:16
It'd be cool if they could get it in neatly.

It's not obligatory though.

It might make it too soap opera-ey if it's too contrived.

Jerion
1st Sep 2009, 05:35
Hagrid: Yer a wizard, JC!
JC: ...what a shame

I'm not gonna lie, that made me chuckle. :D

El_Bel
1st Sep 2009, 11:17
In 2028, the mother of Paul Denton, wanting another child but unable to conceive, was approached by MJ-12 operatives posing as fertility experts. She was told they could preform a low-risk experimental procedure that would allow her to bear another child and that they would pay her handsomely for their participation in the experiment. They impregnated her with a clone of Paul, whom they had determined had the most promising genetic makeup for their nano-augmentation project. Nine months later, in 2029, JC Denton was born.

In 2035, Majestic-12, displeased with Paul's progress, decided that his parents should not be allowed to raise JC. Paul and JC's parents were killed and JC was sent to Majestic-12's Swiss School where he spent the next 12 years of his life. During this time Majestic-12 attempted to instill in JC unquestioning loyalty to superiors and a willingness to obey orders. Instead JC developed a hidden rebellious attitude.

Sometime between his brother becoming UNATCO's first nano-augmented agent in 2050 and his own recruitment by UNATCO in 2051 JC's adopted parents were killed.

In 2052, JC is nano-augmented and becomes a UNATCO agent.

InGroove2
8th Sep 2009, 21:55
1a, 2a, 3a.

It just doesn't happen.

I totally agree. This is heightened by the role that JC plays in the original. he was a sort of "chosen one". his "family" are the chosen people, clones, augmented... doesn't matter... they were built by the bad guys and defected to search for the true good of humanity. it'll be pretty hard for me to really buyy the idea of someone else going on a mission to save the world knowing that after i save the world in this game, that JC is gonna go ahead and save it again... seems anticlimactic... it diminishes the greatness of JC... . this needs to be the story of a family and their important role throught a period of history... like a dynasty.

also, if there were some other non-related savior of the world, seems like the world of DX would have made mention of the person... it can only be denton related, i think....

Sabretooth1
9th Sep 2009, 01:35
seems like the world of DX would have made mention of the person... it can only be denton related, i think....

If the hero was anything like JC, I wouldn't count on it. Remember, it's all about secrets and conspiracies. :D

Hertzila
9th Sep 2009, 13:54
I can understand them being mentioned and perhaps at one point doing something related to them but most likely they are only related to the main plot and themes, like the rise of MJ12. And seriously, they should not do an "obligatory" Denton plot theme. If it fits and supports the main plot, they should naturally put it in. But if they just want to make it for us fans with sloppy design and without any consideration of how it fits in DX3, they shouldn't and should only mention them, if even that.

0.02€
Now if you excuse me, I have an asbestos suit to put on.