PDA

View Full Version : Real world items and improvments

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 21:58
What type of Enviormental items do you think should be in deus ex 3?

There was alot to the Deus Ex 1 and 2 but sometimes It could feel as if things were more...barren and lifeless. Example..There are not enough rooms to explore in deus ex 1 in certain places or No mail boxes or not enough people..

What would you like to see added to make the world itself feel more real.

Here are some of mine..
1.More books to read
2.Mailbox's
3.More people.
4.Better looking doors...doors that even if you can't go inside...they look real and as if you could just open it and go inside.
5.More things laying around in the streets like 7up bottles or pieces of paper floating in the wind or a plastic bag..that you can catch as its flying around and use it as a weapon.:cool: :cool:

5.More animals Example...diffarant kinds of birds and cats/strey dogs
6.Have not a single person..other than ones in uniforms wearing the same
artical of clothing or have the same face..So you don't see 50 of the same exact person walking around...make humanity look more distinguished and real like...you know?
7.Weather...Snow...rain..if it rains you get wet and leave wet foot prints..if it snows you get snow on your character and his shoes for walking around ect.

8.Day time?....maybe?...naaah..nvm

9.More stuff like Cd's,Video game consols,Clothing and food wrappers ect in
people's houses ect..Make places like that seem more...lived in.

10.More ambiant noise...sometimes its just a little TOO quiet.

Larington
2nd Apr 2008, 22:04
With regards the appearance of the doors there's a certain balancing act that needs to be done. Though the bars all over some doors in DX1 looked daft, the gameplay reason is that the designers wanted it to be obvious which doors you didn't need to walk up to, that said, the way those particular doors were barred up did look a bit... odd... In anycase, I'd personally advise against making doors which can't be opened look as though they can, it causes unnecessary confusion to the player(s).

I'm certainly very keen on the idea of making the appearance of civilian clothing much more randomised and varied, especially on non-essential NPCs.

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 22:18
Ok...well I see your point...maybe have them look real but have the barrs over them..

What about..More food items to eat..booze..candy bars,chips and soy food gets old quick

Inane Mythos
2nd Apr 2008, 22:37
5.More animals Example...diffarant kinds of birds and cats/strey dogs.
This doesn't need to be changed. Pigeons are all over the world so they apply to the cities. Dog and cats don't really need to be varied much unless you wonder around the world in hope of breeding them.

6.Have not a single person..other than ones in uniforms wearing the same artical of clothing or have the same face..So you don't see 50 of the same exact person walking around...make humanity look more distinguished and real like...you know?
Easier said than done. If you have say 50 people walking around each wearing different clothing then that's 50 different textures getting loaded at once which can drastically decrease performance. You can have the further away peoples textures blurred but that can look ugly.

9.More stuff like Cd's,Video game consols,Clothing and food wrappers ect in
people's houses ect..Make places like that seem more...lived in.
Deus Ex is a dystopia. Clothing and food are an obvious essential but Consoles and things like that would only really exist in the untouched/rich districts (per say) if they exist at all. It's hard to survive in the DX world, why would people want a console?

Tho I would get a chuckle out of seeing a Walkers Crisps packet flying around. :cool:

Larington
2nd Apr 2008, 22:42
Oh heck, I've just had visions of an ad-supported DX3, I think I'm gonna puke... :eek:

The impact of more varied clothing can be minimised by partially restricting it to texture variations, but the character model (in the sense of it not yet being textured) is duplicated, but the style of the clothing varies simply as the texture itself.

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 23:05
Oh heck, I've just had visions of an ad-supported DX3, I think I'm gonna puke... :eek:

The impact of more varied clothing can be minimised by partially restricting it to texture variations, but the character model (in the sense of it not yet being textured) is duplicated, but the style of the clothing varies simply as the texture itself.

Well for places where there are random people walking around and not important the game could somehow Randomize their the clothes they wear and their hair and Gender ect.. just for the non importants that don't impact the game very much. So that way you don't always see the exact same person. The clothing too does not have to be comlex. Mostly solid color shirts and black or blue pants ect.

Inane Mythos
2nd Apr 2008, 23:39

While that's true about the peoples models, it still doesn't help the fact that multiple textures being loaded will still cause slower performance. But I guess the point is moot until we see how detailed the models are and how high-res the textures are.

Blade_hunter
3rd Apr 2008, 21:44
some things can be randomized but in the game we must adds some models like heads, torsos, legs
for the soldiers most of the have an uniform, but in DX 1 a Unatco soldier have only one face and they're mask in they're bases this is no problem but in offices they only use the uniform not a mask in DX 1. this is an old game and we need to light some points of the game because when DX 1 has benn created the computers are slower than today ....
Actually our computers have some power and can use a wide variety of skins ...
Not too large but with some variety

For the post I've maded a post talks about interractivity and says something similar to your ideas ...

HamburgerBoy
4th Apr 2008, 03:08
It's not completely relevant to your point, but the original Deus Ex does have mailboxes. Check Hell's Kitchen again.

Igoe
4th Apr 2008, 07:17
Anyone ever play Redsun2020? Of course you have.

Remember the office buildings near the end? Endless rooms after rooms? Sometimes realism adds nothing but woes to level designers, and ultimately doesn't mean you want to explore every last identical office. (You did, but just to see the Demotivators)

Striking the balance between something that LOOKS realistic enough, and something that PLAYS well, is something all level designers struggle for.

In the end it has to fit the GAME WORLD, not the REAL WORLD. If the game has mailboxes, they need to serve a purpose. If they don't, it means someone WASTED time making a mailbox model so you can look at it once, and then never give it so much as a passing glance again.

If you put more random people in the game, not every one of them can say something meaningful. Soon you have "filler" NPCs that don't contribute much to the story and water down the conversation exploration aspect. This can ultimately confuse or dismay players from talking to all NPCs because of the inevitable crapshoot of "Well, this Lady on Street 5 is probably going to have the same thing to say the other 4 did..."

If you keep the NPCs limited, but meaningful, you stand a better chance of having the player talk to EVERYONE, thus making all those space hogging .ogg files worthwhile.

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Apr 2008, 19:26
What type of Enviormental items do you think should be in deus ex 3?

As much as I hate (and I mean h-a-t-e) Sierra/VU/Monolith for their most disrespectful customer service, I did like the level design in F.E.A.R.. It's a corporate look, but the props were placed well, giving rooms a lived in feel. While the other gamers were fighting, I prefered to check the 3D models and graphics. ;)

But with DX3, the environment will have to be d-a-r-k again. The cities even dirtier than the original. Seedy but not obscene. Would prefer attention to the little details, such as placement of even potted plants -- but in the scheme of things, it's secondary to the storyline (can't stress it enough: #1 priority with DX3 is a story to die for!).

Another important feature is to bring back the stacking ability. Haven't played a game in at least 4 years that has allowed picking up a crate/box and using it. This environmental interaction is something I truly miss in games now -- to do something other than shooting weapons that devs spent more time incorporating in their games than anything else. I don't need another rail gun, but need a damn crate that doesn't get me stuck in it (BF2142 anyone??).

Improved lighting effects. Love seeing ray traced lighting coming through windows (for DX3, it could be street lights illuminating a room). Adds that realistic effect that most gamers would ignore, but for graphic designers would admire handsomely. DirectX has improved so much, that even street and wall lights can literally glow.

Cars. Let's admit it DX1 had p-l-e-n-t-y of smashed cars. How about this time we can actually get in and use a non-smashed one? The F.E.A.R. devs had to pull the car chase level due to time issues, but the ability to drive a car (or truck or motorcycle) would be an icing on the cake!

Breakables. More destruction possible. Like with some newer FPS games, the ability to blow up walls and more takes the interaction to new heights (literally!). Even the ability to kick in doors and boards.

Ugh, half asleep! Have 1001 other scene prop suggestions. More later. :)