PDA

View Full Version : Physics?

Mr. Poppalopolis
31st Mar 2008, 03:55
I was wondering what kind of physics will be in the game. I read about it being on the Tomb Raider engine (is this true?), and I have no idea how the physics are in that. Even something like Havok (Havok sucks, but it's not the worst). I thought it would be fun to be able to set up physics traps, and be able to create ropes, nail objects together, and do a lot more. Almost like Gmod for Half-Life 2.

If you don't know what Garrysmod is, it's a HL2 mod that gives you tools to create ropes, welds, nails, elastic, balloons, and a bunch of other constraints. I don't think there should be wheels or thrusters or anything like that, but maybe if you can pick up rope lengths, and nails, you could use a nailgun to constrain props together, and maybe create traps with pulley systems and a rope as a tripwire.

Just an idea, but it sounds like it would be fun, and would be great for a game like Deus Ex.

Wgibbsw
31st Mar 2008, 15:00
The more I hear about it using a Tomb Raider engine the more I can't help but think this is going to be a platformer/shooter with robots :mad2:

I think it's good for the game to have a realistic physics engine and being able to create traps yourself would make it a truly unique experience because almost everyone would have a different approach to a situation. As long as things aren't included just for gimmicks and they actually help the gameplay and plot then fair enough.

minus0ne
31st Mar 2008, 15:57
The more I hear about it using a Tomb Raider engine the more I can't help but think this is going to be a platformer/shooter with robots :mad2:
Then you clearly can't differentiate between a game engine and a game's contents.

I think it's good for the game to have a realistic physics engine and being able to create traps yourself would make it a truly unique experience because almost everyone would have a different approach to a situation. As long as things aren't included just for gimmicks and they actually help the gameplay and plot then fair enough.
How is that? Nothing in the DX gameworld has anything to do with traps other than leaving a gas/EMP/LAM grenade on someone's patrol route. Frankly I suppose traps are a thing of fantasy RPGs, little to do with Deus Ex. Also, the DX world has far too little flora for that.

Garry's Mod is fun for a few hours, but again, traps have no place in DX. I don't feel like creating your own traps would be any more fun than scripted events the devs put in (for example unleashing reprogrammed milbots on unsuspecting enemies). It's not Deus Ex 3: Carpenter's Dream (or at least I hope not).

enoch_root
31st Mar 2008, 16:51
I'm not too keen on the booby-traps and nailing things together idea TBH. However, how about an attachment to the mini-crossbow which allows you to fire a tripwire attached to the end of a dart? It could be finite or have unlimited capacity and I don't think it deviates in style too much from the previous games.

IceBallz
31st Mar 2008, 17:18
Maaaaaaan this getting out of our hands. Get real, people !

enoch_root
31st Mar 2008, 18:19
Just an idea, no harm in speculating. :)

Mr. Poppalopolis
31st Mar 2008, 20:11
I know Gmod isn't fun for a long time, because once you've built everything, there isn't much else to do. But if you incorporate it into a FPS, it could be pretty fun. They should at least make the game moddable so the community can make mods like that for it. Even if physics isn't a big part of the game, I still think it's important to have in almost any FPS game.

Wgibbsw
31st Mar 2008, 20:18
Yeah chill out these are just people's opinions. It seems we don't know as much about the content of DX3 as some people, which is nothing.

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 21:47

HELL NO! Tomb sucked ***. Although the Physics should be realitic Tombraider was anything but realistic in anyway IMO. Im sorry but I just hate tombraider with a passion.

The way objects would react to being blown appart or how people actually fall down and squerm when they are shot and dying. That is something dues ex 3 needs. Jumping and long jumping cannot be too high unless enhanced by augs. When people get shot in the arm they drop their gun including yourself.
If someone is shot and injured in the leg they should hobble instead of run normally. Running with a gun for enemy's should be more realistic.

We should be able to use things like turning over ANY table for a shield or picking up large items like a metal garbage can and use it for shields ect.

Being able to run and leap through windows or climb up a tree for a sniping spot or to get away from people who use melee weapons Than when you fall out of the tree you fall at the same rate as in real life you would.