PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 Protagonist

Azrepheal
23rd Mar 2008, 16:13
What it says on the tin: How do YOU want to act in DX3?

(And yes, I know there will be multiple ways of doing stuff, Im just interested in people general view of what theyd like)

jordan_a
23rd Mar 2008, 16:35
In my opinion the poll's options are quite confusing.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Mar 2008, 21:54
What it says on the tin: How do YOU want to act in DX3?

(And yes, I know there will be multiple ways of doing stuff, Im just interested in people general view of what theyd like)

The beauty of DX is that it's not primarily a shooter. You could even play the game with just killing one person. Otherwise, you could sneak through the levels or just knock the opponents unconscious.

You have choices.

BTW, a cyberpunk game will have to have hacking, let alone other geeky persuits. ;)

Kaff
26th Mar 2008, 22:48
In my opinion the poll's options are quite confusing.

Simply put, do you want to just run and gun, or use wwhatever you like to complete missions? If you like FPS games and not stealth games, just vote for Guns/skills/augmentations (biomods).

Personally, I like the exploding crates etc as well as my biomods and guns. If you vote for the choice with the most options, we all win

dimaf1985
27th Mar 2008, 01:47
Um, well, what was good about DX1, was that you had the option to be ANY of those characters. And you could go back and replay it several different ways. I dont want the character to be JUST ONE of those options. I want ALL of those options to be available and then i can make my choice.

Kill Switch
27th Mar 2008, 03:38
The great thing about Deus Ex is we could choose how we executed our plans. Be it the way of the gun, shadow, or brain it was our choice to make. This poll seems to categorize our options for when we get game when its those very options we will have the freedom to choose from when were in the game.

D: All of the above.

Blade_hunter
27th Mar 2008, 23:06
For me we have an objective it's to "save the world" against an unidentified ennemy/threat. and some factions/groups/people needs your help.
In the game we are a sort of superhuman with biotech abilities we must find the right way to identify the ennemy and stop him.
The game itself is something difficult to exeplain because your choices makes the world different
In DX 1 Bob page lose, but the other groups wins or lose

In the game I want an opened gameplay as what I've sayed in other threads

The thing is the game give choices to accomplish each task and we have a number of options to accomplish the task.

The game has a sort of main objective but we chose the way to respand at the situation
More the choices are, more the game is fun and the replays are interesting
DX 1 was good for this and if DX 3 have more the game will be better than it's prequels...

Romeo
28th Mar 2008, 06:41
If it's possible, I'd really like to see a nice stealth system this time around. Maybe like a mix between Oblivion/Thief/Assassin's Creed. Sneak up behind someone and kill them quietly. SAVE AMMO!

Freddo
31st Mar 2008, 01:36
In DX1 I always prefered to take the sneaky route, and will probably do the same here.

Just sneaking around, hacking some devices, tazering some guard, planting some LAMs. They never knew what hit them :cool:

What poll option that would be, I have no idea.

Gary_Savage
31st Mar 2008, 02:00
If it's possible, I'd really like to see a nice stealth system this time around. Maybe like a mix between Oblivion/Thief/Assassin's Creed. Sneak up behind someone and kill them quietly. SAVE AMMO!

I like that (not that I know anything about Oblivion, though). I like playing Metal Gear Solid style, in the sense that I like to sneak past guards, so I would like to be able to grab and throw guards, and also to break their necks. If other martial arts based combat skills and movement skills (rolls, breakfalls, etc.) are also provided (as many have mentioned in other threads), then that would be great.

DX3 will not deserve to be called a DX game (IMO) without the use of augs; though I tend to use them sparingly, until the end.

P.S. I voted the Jason Bourne option; not because I want the game to be as described for the Bourne option, but rather because Jason Bourne did indeed have extremely good fighting and movement skills (you only need to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" to note that), he was good with gadgets (as seen in "The Bourne Supremacy," where he tracks a van using some radio device), and (in a way) he was augmented (he had an electronic implant, in "The Bourne Identity"). Furthermore, Jason Bourne was 'born' of a project created to make super agents; a process that made him forget his former self; that was quite reminiscent of JC Denton. given all that, and his ability to blend into the crowds, I think an augmented Jason Bourne would make a perfect protagonist for a DX universe.

Blade_hunter
31st Mar 2008, 21:55
errase ...

Blade_hunter
31st Mar 2008, 21:59
For me I like some ideas arou here but I vote multitask because I want to use everything in the game world.

Use some everyday weapons like some tools, like kitchen tools, DIY tools and farming tools can e very funny to use (Use a frying pas to knock your ennemy :D)
using some objects like chairs, bottles, trash lids, bins, fire extinguishers, fireman axes, hammers and more

Use military and civil fire arms and other kind of weapons like more anciant weapons lke swords ....

Use augmentations as weapons if we have some can act as a weapon

Use some normal vehicles as weapons .....

Use the environement like DX series but with more use the doors to make traps
In DX 1 we ca use the doors but not really as the reality is In DX 1 the NPC's or yourself can open entierly or close the door an when the door make a move and if an breacable obsticle is on the door's path the door breaks the objets in it's path like the crates or the barrels

With the automatic doors we can keep this thin but with a normal door we can half open/close the door in the reality and put an object above the door You make a noise to attract an NPC to open the door the object falls and the NPC die or be knocked or simply takes some damage.

An other thing can be intersting is capture an ennemy,
In first place we knock the ennemy
We attach him to avoid his wake up
When he's finally conscious, he can't move himself you must transport him or point your gun on him and tell him to trust you and attach him again when you found the right location.

These NPC's can be used to retrieve informations for example or stole his equipment
If you don't want kill capture them! but if an ennemy soldier find other soldiers like him attached they liberate your prisonners and can try to find you or make a trap !

Using the automatic systems against our ennemies like in all DX's are good and make the hack very useful, but I think we can use animals or a captured creature to use against your ennemies
In DX 1 I remember we have something like this the greasel in the versalife laboratory

Or simply avoid the ennemies infiltrating the building using your abilities and some objects like jump boots, maybe desguise, a jet pack, a grapple launcher, hack, lockpick, find a key and open doors, or some sealed crates, swimm, jump over crates, climb ladders (some ladders can be moved), use the vent areas, a climbing abilitie to use some wall like some infiltration games or other alternate ways

We can play as a rambo but not too much of course, sometimes in DX 1 I've killed my ennemies using the brute force and loose only a little part of my HP

Why I say all of this things, and I perhaps forget some ways to use the gameplay on your adventage; It's to keep the base of the DX series and adds more diversity in the game, some ways to use our brain and our , more elements is more thinking to plan an action or improvise with the elements of the game

For that the AI must be envolved at the point of if you are in a room and close the main access to the room they try to find you, calling their allies to attack you or make traps to kill you more easily if you try to open the door you closed before it's an exemple ....

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 22:00
I think it should be a mix of just about everything but mostly the skills and augs...thats what made dues ex so great anyway!

but who cares what I say..I bet the team whom are making dues ex 3 are not even listining to us or even dream of caring about what we have to say
about that..:(

WhatsHisFace
8th Apr 2008, 03:19
It's obvious the thread starter has no idea what Deus Ex is.

Blade_hunter
8th Apr 2008, 11:50
Why do you say that, and what is DX for you ?

He has proposed some answers and gives you an option if you think the firsts options aren't good for you ...

To resume my own vision of the game DX is a combination of gameplays in a FPS game it adds RPG elements (inventory, conversation, biomods), infiltration (hack, lockpick, interract ....), and action as older FPS made but with some realistic gameplay

Aries_cz
8th Apr 2008, 14:59
My favorite style is using Augs/skills. If there were any biomods like throwing energy bolts at you enemies, it would be even better. Something like Adept class in Mass Effect (cant wait for the PC version)
In DW2, I played Hacker with Magrail gun :D (i.e. Eye enhancement, Neural Interface, Bot Domination, Thermal Cloaking, Speed Enhancement)

Bloodwolf806
11th Apr 2008, 17:31
Augs/skills, gadgets AND whats at hand (I can multitask!)

Voltaire
13th Apr 2008, 21:27
I personally don't think you can really get to grips with the DX series without trying to crack it more than one way. I don't suggest we all try no-item runs :cool: , but keeping an open mind as to how we treat the game wouldn't go amiss.

auric
14th Apr 2008, 01:46
All of the above.

I would like every level be able to accomplish in multiple ways.

Sometimes we can do 2 or more ways at once & have the game take notice of our methods.

Quietly sneak by
KO/Kill
blow down/pick/hack/Codes doors
Airvents/Sewers/Rooftops
People providing aid in different ways, either directly or supply info/equipment

using any of these will have cumulative view by NPCs about the player

Oh & I want to go to different areas not just through a door like in DXIW
That made it feel so unrealistic, too typical game like.
Also it'll be nice to get to places your self & not always rely on blank screens to take you around.

Though part 1 had Jock flying us around, at least we had to go to him & watch them fly off to the next location, in DXIW its head to the spot & watch it turn blank. Well been years since I touch IW, can't recall exactly how they go to the next scene, but it just didn't feel the same as part 1, too artificial.
:)

gamer0004
14th Apr 2008, 16:29
Oh yes, very important, no-item runs should be possible! They were possible for the first two games, and it really adds to the game. I recommend the no-item run to everyone who loves DX (the DX no-item run, not the DX:IW no-item run which is really really frustrating).

Voltaire
15th Apr 2008, 06:48
Oh yes, very important, no-item runs should be possible! They were possible for the first two games, and it really adds to the game. I recommend the no-item run to everyone who loves DX (the DX no-item run, not the DX:IW no-item run which is really really frustrating).

No-item runs are hardcore! Just the idea of it being just some unarmed dude running round infiltrating the most advanced military organisations in the world. I will cry if DX3 is impossible without items (or too easy for that matter)...

Gary_Savage
15th Apr 2008, 16:04
No-item runs are hardcore! Just the idea of it being just some unarmed dude running round infiltrating the most advanced military organisations in the world. I will cry if DX3 is impossible without items (or too easy for that matter)...

Just curious: does a no-item run consist of just going through the game without lockpicks and multitools, or do you have to abstain from using weapon upgrades, as well? Or, do you have to abstain from weapons usage, entirely, on top of no lockpicks and multitools? Also, does a no-item run place constraints on your use of skill points?

I need to know this before I try it: it will be a whole new experience for me.

gamer0004
15th Apr 2008, 16:19
The DX no-item run is not that hard actually... It takes long to find certain things out (how to blow up the generator at the cemetry for instance) but when you're doing it it's not that hard (when following your (or Alginon's :rasp: ) route). I'm playing DX (realistic setting) ramob style and it's actually harder to do :P

Gary_Savage
15th Apr 2008, 16:31
P.S. I voted the Jason Bourne option; not because I want the game to be as described for the Bourne option, but rather because Jason Bourne did indeed have extremely good fighting and movement skills (you only need to see "The Bourne Ultimatum" to note that), he was good with gadgets (as seen in "The Bourne Supremacy," where he tracks a van using some radio device), and (in a way) he was augmented (he had an electronic implant, in "The Bourne Identity"). Furthermore, Jason Bourne was 'born' of a project created to make super agents; a process that made him forget his former self; that was quite reminiscent of JC Denton. given all that, and his ability to blend into the crowds, I think an augmented Jason Bourne would make a perfect protagonist for a DX universe.

Could it be that the DX3 protagonist will be a chemically enhanced agent? That way, even if we do have a prequel, we can have a non-nano augmented agent who can blend into the crowds. By chemically enhanced, instead of a mechanically enhanced agent, I mean someone who has been conditioned to respond to chemicals, in certain ways, or someone who uses chemicals to enhance certain abilities. An example (from the game Metal Gear Solid, since I do not know if this works in real life) is a drug that calms a sniper's nerves, so he/she can shoot better, at long ranges. With Page's Biotech involvement in DX1, it could very well be that he (or some of his predecessors) tried to use chemicals to (temporarily) enhance agents before DX1. Perhaps Lebedev's saying:

"You were made by a cabal of technophiles so crazed for power, that they would not only control governments and people, but the chemistry of our bodies, as well."

could be used as a reference to a technophile organization that tried to play with people's chemistry, even the chemistry of their own agents?

If DX3 lies between DX1 & DX:IW, then a chemically enhanced agent could still be a protagonist, since all the technology to nano-enhance agents could have been destroyed with JC's blowing up Area 51 (where JC, and the others, were augmented). I like the idea of a chemically enhanced agent, since (like in Metal Gear Solid) chemicals could be used to change an agent's metabolism, so he/she could stay in cold water, longer, without hypothermia, or become more resistant to pain (I am sure Jason Bourne could have used that when he got shot up, while exiting the rogue leader's boat, in the Bourne Identity movie), or perhaps temporarily store more oxygen in his/her blood, for a long swim, or enhance speed, or strength. The game could also add a penalty, by introducing a short recovery period for the use of chemicals to enhance oneself, during which time the agent might see things differently (as, when drunk, or high on zyme, in DX1), or have a more wavering aim, or run slower, or take up more lockpicks/multitools for lock/keypad/panel, or a combination of the above, depending on which chemical was used, or how much.

As for the concept art, showing mechanical parts, it could be that those mechs are the ones our agent is up against. That would go well, parallel to DX1's visit to the Hong Kong MJ12 labs, where JC witnesed the development of transgenics (greys, and greasels) that would be used against him.

Any takers?

AaronJ
15th Apr 2008, 16:46
He must be a badass, but not over the top. See "JC Denton".

Gary_Savage
15th Apr 2008, 16:56
I don't see being chemically enhanced as being over the top, since some militias do use chemicals before they fight. Of course, the ones that I have heard of use illicit (narcotic) drugs.