PDA

View Full Version : Which do you preffer: BGM, Ambience or just Silence?

Imaginary Whisk
21st Mar 2008, 23:53
As far as music goes in TR, we've seen a variety over the years. As far as music mixes with her adventure, I'm curious which you guys prefer to hear most often throughout her raiding, although I'm pretty sure which one will probably win provided anyone votes. xD

I'm just this post has probably popped up a few dozen times before but I'm just to lazy to search for old threads. :(
*this may be an example of posting when bored* D:

rabid metro
22nd Mar 2008, 02:35
i would prefer that you actually write background music instead of BGM, if that is in fact what you intended ...

just for that i'm not going to vote ... :cool:
:cool:

Joshorty
23rd Mar 2008, 01:31
BGM when necessary. Just like how the original TR 1 did. Funny Anniversary did the same though it's just not the same as the way Tr1 had it...

I mean, it's cool to hear the background wind noise behind hwile running aorund or the sound of a far away water fall (my gosh so peaceful) and all that jazz...

Legend made me lose focus that I was in the outside world, despite the awesome music.

humbug
23rd Mar 2008, 10:52
I liked the way they did the music in TR1, the music really added to the atmosphere of the game. The trigger music at key points through the game was amazing.

Jezyk
23rd Mar 2008, 12:42
I liked TR1's minimalistic background 'music' and Legend constant themes. In TRA perhaps there is some background sounds, but I hardly notice any (except for trigger themes like Peru Serenity or Poseidon Room, those are great)

POSSL
23rd Mar 2008, 16:15
I like to hear the ambient around me, like the wind, some rocks falling and some times and interesting background music like the one you had in Tomb of Qualopec in TRA. I also love those musics we had in TR1 when we found out something like the Colosseum.

But most of the time, specially when solving puzzles, silence is the best, its easier to concentrate and gives you that strange feeling of being alone in some old tomb with no help*.

*This is also why i donĀ“t want either Zip or Alister snooping around.

Mangar The Dark
24th Mar 2008, 13:17
I think TRA handled it very well-- mostly relying on ambient sounds, and just occasionally some background music to heighten the mood when appropriate. So I'd be glad if they continue with that style for TRU.

Rai
24th Mar 2008, 13:25
Ambiance is all important. It adds to the atmosphere and can be quite spooky. Add to that the occasional background music for emphasis, then you've got an ideal combination.

Yes, TRA had just the right combination, in my opinion. Keep that style for TRU.

(is there an echo around here..ere...re...)

jordoz12
24th Mar 2008, 17:16
I dont like the BGM or ambience, i usually turn them off so i hear if an enemy is on the way, when i replay through the game ill turn it on for the tombish feel

LisaB1962
24th Mar 2008, 21:20
Music should be used sporadically to raise the drama and tension. A constant soundtrack makes it feel too much like a movie and not like an adventure. Less is definitely more. ;)

michael-croft
24th Mar 2008, 23:01
on xbox 360's you can play music and play lara croft at the same and if you don't have a 360 and don't like the music 4 the game just play a cd and turn the game volume down... to answer i like country related music like in legend:p

Imaginary Whisk
1st Apr 2008, 23:55
I hate the poll/post setup on this thread. I thought I deleted this one when the poll wasn't set up right. But I guess it didn't. /failatlife

Fickji
2nd Apr 2008, 00:17
Ambience with little to no BGM in the levels.

I didn't like how they did the music selection in Anniversary. I wanted to run around the manor with the main theme or the wolf attack theme playing. I don't want to sit there and just listen.

cutscenes though should have real music to enhance these.

I wouldn't mind having songs if done in a real way. Like its playing through a radio that Lara comes across. And she can shoot it if it gets annoying for the player.

Joshorty
2nd Apr 2008, 22:03
^ :vlol: :D

Well for me, definitely ambiance sounds. With BGM (no offense Troels - your music is still awesome :tmb: ), it makes me forget that I'm in a tomb...and it takes away the feel also. I was SOO glad they realized that in Anniversary. I'm not sure if it was the request threads or them playing TR1 but that was a must!

They have to continue that here in Underworld and it seems like it so. And to hear how Zip and Alister won't be talking as much - :D:tmb:

Randy 54
2nd Apr 2008, 23:07
BGM sets the mood plain and simple. Therefore, I see it as being a necessary factor in some areas just like silence works for puzzle solving. TR1 is an excellent example of how BGM, ambience, and silence all come together to make a game an adventure. For me, a TR game without mood and atmosphere would be a really bland experience.

LaraLara
2nd Apr 2008, 23:44
I liked the soundtrack in Peru in TR:L. That was nice. :cool:

lhaymehr
3rd Apr 2008, 20:18
Ambience only, Music parts on important triggers/cutscenes of the game.

When the music isn't running all the time the ambient sounds amplify your sense of environment and the game draws you in more. And when the music actually does come in, the events that are taking place while it's playing make a much bigger impact on the player.

Imaginary Whisk
3rd Apr 2008, 20:43
But silence can be a more powerful mood setter depending on a fore coming situation in-game. ;)

Music so far has been generally used for cutscenes and introduction to a room that has a grand scale or is supposed to be awe inspiring. Ambiance is usually the BGM of the TR games anyways with creaks, the sound of cramped air flow, & occasionally some eerie moans depending on the level. And the transition from Ambiance to silence can be unnoticeable at times. I just ment stuff like silence when it's used appropriately, like when they wanna make you jump at a uprise enemy. :D

Randy 54
3rd Apr 2008, 23:34
Let's go back some years to TR2, we are in a room with chandeliers that raise and lower. After we make our way onto a platform where we throw a switch, a beautiful rendition of Lara's Theme begins to play. This music allows us to experience her warm side, without that music, one cannot "feel" that part of her character. Have I made my point?
And I'm sorry but, the music in Legend left me with the feeling of a one dimensional character, very cold.

LisaB1962
4th Apr 2008, 11:46
It just occurred to me that we've been using the wrong word.

The choice should be BGM, ambient music, or silence. Ambient is an adjective, ambiance a noun. :mad2:

Imaginary Whisk
7th Apr 2008, 18:51
It just occurred to me that we've been using the wrong word.

The choice should be BGM, ambient music, or silence. Ambient is an adjective, ambiance a noun. :mad2:

Well to go even further, in they game they're trying to simulate natural sounds of the environment to set the mood of the area. So it's more along the line of ambient sound.

Joshorty
7th Apr 2008, 23:53
Haha no English major I am, even living 10 years here, I only adapted to the language but not in a 'major' sense. Well we all understood each other anyway :)

To be honest, I'm kinda more sure they'll carry Anniversary's elements (in terms of what they learned to make Tomb Raider more Tomb Raider) to Underworld. They already got that with Alister and Zip not talking as much.

Imaginary Whisk
8th Apr 2008, 04:33
I wouldn't mind Zip & Alister if they weren't arguing or pointing out painfully obvious details all the time. I'm just hoping as far as that part of the game goes that their characters are included for the story & not to directly 'assist' in gameplay. xD

jayjay119
8th Apr 2008, 15:53
I like having the ambient sounds to add realism, and i think that seeing as CD are striving for a 'Real-world' feel to TRU it would be nice to hear rustling tree's, birds or thunder and rain etc. However I like the way music was incorporated in TR1 and the type also, the music in TRL seemed to bland. But yeah it should only be used at strategic points to heighten the Drama/ tension/ fear factor etc.

I didn't like the way it was used in TRA, it was okay at first but when you are on your 15th gorilla fight, there ain't no drama there anymore so there was no need for the music :scratch:

ElevenTR
8th Apr 2008, 16:49
Mainly ambience, but i like it when suspense music comes on very quietly.

mimi90
22nd Apr 2008, 14:27
Ambiance is all important. It adds to the atmosphere and can be quite spooky. Add to that the occasional background music for emphasis, then you've got an ideal combination.

Yes, TRA had just the right combination, in my opinion. Keep that style for TRU.

(is there an echo around here..ere...re...)

The only problem i had with BGM in TRA was that it was purposely placed when something was about to happen... it kind of ruined the 'jump out of your seat' moments that made TR1 so great.