PDA

View Full Version : Thief TDP Compatible with XP?

mattmanr
20th Mar 2008, 23:38
Ok, I have reinstalled Thief The Dark Project and as soon as I start a missions the screen remains blank and an Error shows up. The Error reads as follows: "Direct3d device does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accelerator for updated drivers."

Here is all my system information:

Manufacturer: INTEL_
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Hard Drive: 160 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Monitor: SyncMaster 204T/204Ts/204B,SyncMaster Magic CX201Ts(Digital)
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [B800]
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1

Has anyone else had this problem? I have seen a similar post located here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=66670 but when I did this it didn't change anything. If any of you have Xfire add me at mattmanr. Please help if you can.

mattmanr
20th Mar 2008, 23:51
Is it possible that his Ebay offer is telling the truth?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180225624818&Category=62053&_trksid=p3907.m29

Huntress
21st Mar 2008, 00:39
as far as game...NO, I don't believe it...as far as I know that is not an official release. If you read the FAQ here or on TTLG.com there are some instructions about making older Thief playable on XP but I think some ppl didn't have to do anything extra...other than additionally making an adjustment if they have duel CPU's. But I'll also let other folks give you more info as I'm only giving a simplified fast answer till Peter or whoever respond to you later when they see your post. :)

theBlackman
21st Mar 2008, 01:19
I run ALL the THIEF games on XP.

Look at the TECH thread (THIEF FORUMS) from the main menu. You will find answers to all the questions including Texture error.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=2263

theBlackman
21st Mar 2008, 01:20
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=2263

Huntress
21st Mar 2008, 06:55
but I checked it to see what was there and I really didn't see anything about a reference link to playing Thief games in XP. However, if you checked his link what he was asking about...seems they were trying to sell Thief games that said on pkg...they were XP compatible as if they were official releases. It just didn't look right and sortof misleading as far as I saw the way it was being advertised.

I have also read where some folks did have problems running T1 in XP but T2 ran pretty well with maybe that switch in command line in some machines to make it work, etc. However, the FAQ at TTLG gives a complete run-down about various subjects that are possibly now more up-to-date regarding things to do and fixes to use if needed. :)

Anyway, the link to Thief Wanted Poster is moot. I don't know how much the other info here has been updated as I didn't read them through...so if they have been as to compare with TTLG's then excuse my thinking they might not be. :o Ta and Good Hunting!

mattmanr
21st Mar 2008, 13:01
yeah the seller of that Ebay item has a lot of positive responses, so i don't think they are lying. i've bought it and am waiting on the delivery, hopefully it will work when it gets here. my Thief 2 did the same thing (froze at black screen once it started a mission) now my Thief 2 won't even load to the Menu but i think it's because there are too many scratches on the CD, the laser can't even read the CD anymore lol well i'm going to wait on this new CD coming in and see if they are telling the truth. i'll keep you posted :)

Yandros
22nd Mar 2008, 02:07
The point is, that's not the original release. TDP came out before XP existed, so the "Works on XP" printed on the cover is a giveaway that it's a rip or re-release of some sort. Hopefully you can get it working. The most common issues with running T1 and T2 on newer machines are dualcore/hyperthreaded processors and later video drivers.

Peter_Smith
23rd Mar 2008, 19:57
Yandros has it right. Even if you fix the dual core and safe texture manager issues, you must have the correct drivers or Thief TDP will crash. You need to have all three conditions right.

To be more specific about drivers, Thief TDP and Gold will not usually run with hardware rendering under XP with an NVidia card and any drivers in the 9x.xx series and many drivers in the 1xx.xx series. I say not usually because there are exceptions, such as I had a 7950 GT AGP card that worked with 93.71, but then the same card by the same manufacturer with a PCIe interface failed with 93.71. T1 started working again with drivers 163.71 and 163.75. Then Nvidia broke many games including Thief with drivers in the 169 series. My recommendation, if it supports your graphics card, is to use 163.75 and call it a day.

But also fix the dual core / hyperthreading and the safe texture manager problems.

mattmanr
26th Mar 2008, 19:35
Well I finally got the "new" Thief and it's doing that exact same thing. I looked at the FAQ and saw that our Nvidia card is in the 9x.xx range. I believe my dad had rolled back the drivers before but hasn't had any luck with getting the game working. As you stated above there are many things that have to be delt with in order to get it working. Hopefully he'll take a look at it again soon.

mattmanr
26th Mar 2008, 21:24
so far we have disabled the hyperthreading and are going to downgrade the drivers once we know how to fix the "safe texture manager". Can anyone explain how to do this? thanks for the help in advance

Peter_Smith
27th Mar 2008, 03:06
There are separate methods for T1 and T2. This link explains them both:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#texturememory

Peter_Smith
27th Mar 2008, 03:09
There is no longer a need to roll back the drivers. You can use Nvidia drivers 163.75 now. Driver versions 169.xx give problems for some people, although I am using Nvidia's latest official drivers (169.21 WHQL for Windows XP), and it works for me.

Let us know if you get it running and if you have further questions.

mattmanr
27th Mar 2008, 15:19
I've read this area over and over again: Please Note:
If you are using an nVidia card with drivers in the 9x.xx range then the fixes listed below will not work. At present the only solution is to downgrade your drivers to versions in the 8x.xx range or below.

Is that statement still true? We have the 163.71 driver as of now. So you're saying that the Thief1.33fixit file should work anyways?

mattmanr
27th Mar 2008, 15:35
seems like everything I've tried hasn't worked. I'm sorry if I've started to become a pain, it's just I really wanted to play this game again but it seems like you have to go out of your way to get it working. Can you tell me how you got it working Peter? Not exactly step by step but something that I can follow. I love this game and I wish I could get it working again.

Btw I downloaded the Thief133fixit file and when it got to loading the mission it gave me the "Thief The Dark Project needs to close, sorry for the inconvenience". How do I overwrite the normal Thief File? Or can I just start it up from the Fixit extracted file and play from there? (which is what I did)

Peter_Smith
28th Mar 2008, 19:47
I stated above that you don't need to revert to the older 8xxx driver, specifically 84.56. The 84.56 that worked for T1 was a special modified one anyway that is only applicable to 7950GT and below. I have just tested Nvidia's latest version (as of a week ago),
169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe,
and it works fine for me. If that doesn't work, 163.75, available in Nvidia's "Software" section as an archived driver, is iron clad. I suggest you download one of those two and install it. Deinstall current drivers, reboot, install, and reboot. That should be the first step.

You should be able to start by running the fixed EXE by double clicking on it. Or make a shortcut of it. It needs to be located in your Thief install folder. As for the modified EXE needed to avoid the texture manager error, there are three versions at The Circle. The one you need depends on which T1 version you have. 1.33 is for a Thief TDP released as or patched to 1.33. Gold is for 1.37 (Gold). The other one is for original TDP, as I recall, before being patched to 1.33. Which version do you have? Where did you get it? My understanding is that nothing works for the Steam version. There could be compatibility issues with other recent repackaging, as well. I don't know. Please describe your Thief version and where it came from in detail.

The third thing you need to do is to fix the dual core / hyperthreading issue. This can be done temporarily by starting Thief but not starting a mission (playng the game). Then, excape out of it using Pause/Break. Then, in the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL + Task Manager tab), select the Processes tab, then right clicking on the thief.exe process. Select Affinity, and uncheck all but one CPU. There is a permanent fix involving IMAGECFG, which is described in detail as Salvage's permanent fix at the TTLG FAQ. Before doing the permanent fix, check that the temporary method works. Make a backup of your original EXE before modifying it.

All three of those things need to be done in order for T1 (any version) to work with an Nvidia card 7xxx or later.

There is a patch called DDFIX that fixes some other things, but I suggest you get vanilla Thief working first before considering that.

mattmanr
28th Mar 2008, 22:04
my Thief is version 1.33, and I bought it from a place called "Hoots Loot" off of Ebay. on the front it says that it is compatible with XP, which means it was a re-release of the game.

mattmanr
28th Mar 2008, 23:14
ok i have it working now after installing the 163.75, but i have to shut off the Hardware option which is ingame. Also I had to shut off a lot of other programs on my desktop to get it to work. Do you know what the "Hardware" entails? Basically it makes the graphics worse when you turn it off, and the game runs a little faster but other than that it is fine.

Peter_Smith
29th Mar 2008, 05:36
If you have to turn off hardware rendering, it is not working. Software rendering looks absolutely terrible. I have done hours of testing drivers with the objective of making T1 play in hardware on an Nvidia 7950 GT. I modified a driver myself by substituting lines from another driver's INF file, I found a Russian modified 84.56 that worked, and then nothing at all worked until 163.75. Other people have had results similar to mine.

Also, you should not have to stop other programs from running. 1 GB should be plenty. My previous computer had 1 GB, and I could have Word, Excel, a graphics editing program, several browser windows, etc., open with no ill effect. In my computer at work, I do some serious computing with maybe 30 windows open on a typical day with 2 GB, and it seldom goes over 1 GB actually used.

I am beginning to think that there could be something wrong with your computer.

I have seen situations where messing with a configuation (CFG) file caused some issue, but I cannot recall what they were.

Have you done anything other than the three fixes I mentioned? Nothing else is necessary, so far as I know. If you did, maybe you messed something up. If you are unsure, a reinstall plus a repeat of the essential steps may be in order.

Again, please explain what version of Thief you have. Your problem does not seem to be typical.

prustage
2nd Apr 2008, 11:09
I have been following this thread with interest since I have the same problem.

I have listed my system configuration below but basically I am running XP SP2 (up to date) with NVIDIA 163.75 driver on a dual core processor. The version of Thief I am trying to run is Thief Gold. I start Thief using "RunFirst" which guarantees it runs on a single processor (it does - I checked).

My machine had all disks reformatted and XP reinstalled and updated only 3 days ago. It is completely virus free.

In theory I have done everything everyone has recommended yet still I cant run Thief TDP.

If I use the standard .exe I get as far as the start of a mission then black screen and the "3D texture error".

If I use the "texture-fixed" .exe for Thief Gold then at mission start it just crashes with the standard "Thief has encountered a problem and must close..."

I can run Thief with Hardware switched off but it looks pretty crummy and runs very fast.

Incidentally, Thief3 runs fine and Thief2 runs fine with the dual processor fix.

I have run out of things to try now! The only thing I might try is rolling my driver back to 8n.n but that seems a bit drastic to me and probably pointless since everyone reckons my current driver is OK.

Any suggestions??? I would so like to play Thief again!

OS
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Processor
System Model Dell DXP061
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.47 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Graphics Card
Name NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0292&SUBSYS_037010DE&REV_A1\4&F15FA5E&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce 7900 GS, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.11.6375

Peter_Smith
3rd Apr 2008, 05:54
This is very odd. There must be something funny going on in recently packaged Thief 1 versions which make them incompatible with the texture fixed exe. I don't have any idea what is causing this problem, but I have a few ideas of other things you might try if you want to give it a go.

@prustage,
Do you also have a package that says compatible with XP, meaning it is a re-release? BTW, thanks for the information about RunFirst. I tried it and it works.

Before running the fixed EXE, you may want to check to see if you are running it in compatibility mode. If so, try turning that off. This may be enough.

Could you be having problems getting the movies to run, that is, it is crashing after a game starts but before you see any graphics? If so, this may be your fix:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#movies
I have always thought this was a fix for Thief 2, not Thief 1, but I could be wrong.

I have heard that some people have problems running Thief TDP or Gold in spite of having done everything in my list. Maybe this re-release thing could be the common cause.

I seem to recall reading that some people have gotten Thief 1 to run using a patch called DDFIX (see below), when they could not get it to run otherwise. I can't find a reference to that now, so I can't promise anything, but it may be worth a try.

DDFIX is a patch primarily designed for Thief 2 that also works for Thief 1 and SS2. DDFIX results in improved rendering, using DX-6 calls rather than DX-9 calls. The improvement in graphics is really significant in Thief 2 and much more more subtle in Thief 1. Basically, it uses 32 bit rendering rather than dithering. DDFIX also has single-CPU patch built in. I am not sure whether it solves the texture manager error or not. Here is where you get DDFIX:

http://timeslip.chorrol.com/index.html

Look in the left margin at the bottom for two links, one for a manual install (needs a hex editor) and one for a GUI install. Read the readme file before doing either one.

Before installing DDFIX, you need to download and install the latest DirectX redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=3&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=2&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d740ac79a-5b72-447d-84f9-ee6407ed1a91%26DisplayLang%3den). This may be enough to solve your problem without DDFIX. In any case, it is essential for DDFIX to work.

My advice is to download DDFIX and then patch DDFIX first to the original EXE that came with the game. If that causes the texture error, then patch the texture-fixed EXE and see if that works. Before patching either one, make a copy of the EXE you are patching as a backup.

Note that the same DLL and INI files are used in T1 and T2. You must set the INI file to have the same resolution as you have currently set or it will crash. DDFIX will not work at less than 800 x 600. So, with T1, you have only two choices: 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. This must be set in the game to be the same as the settings in DDFIX.INI. If you can't start the game at all, make a backup of CAM.CFG and edit the game screen parameters in CAM.CFG.

Nameless Voice has a set of already patched EXE's that may work for you if there is not some incompatibility with the re-released version. They can be found here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1717673#post1717673

You still need to have the DLL and INI files to run these patched EXE's, but it may save you the problem of hex editing.

The above post appears in a very long thread that explains a lot of trials and tribulations with DDFIX. You may find it interesting. Note that much of this deals with bugs that have already been fixed. The discussion is kind of technical.

Please post back and let us know what works and what doesn't!

prustage
3rd Apr 2008, 16:05
Good of you to reply so quickly and with so much information Pete.

As it happens just before receiving your mail I tried something that I had read in a forum somewhere but had dimissed as unlikely.

I set the compatibility mode to Windows 2000 and - success!

Why this should work I dont know since according to eidos Thief Gold is not supported for Windows 2000 but whatever XP does to achieve this compatibility obviously fixes my problem. (Its worth mentioning I had tried every other compatibility mode - including none - EXCEPT windows 2000 prior to this!).

It is now running fine - a very nostalgic experience - I installed from original Thief Gold disks bought when first issued.

One amusing event since I have got it working again: I tried installing Daemonite's 16-bit meshes and textures. When I ran the game, wherever an AI was supposed to be there was just a pile of clothes that twitched occasionally with no AI inside them! I found this was fixable by re-integrating the new files back into the original .crf rather than have them lying in uncompressed folders. Why this was the case I have no idea.

Anyway - many thanks for taking the time to answer my mail - I was desperate when I wrote it. I hope that this thread will now help anyone else in the same situation.

theBlackman
3rd Apr 2008, 19:46
Thanks for coming back with your "Fix". I'm certain it will be of help.

Too often a gamer does get a "Fix" that cures the particular problem but does not tell us how.

It is always appreciated and of value to others.

Thanks again.

Dusty

mattmanr
6th Apr 2008, 05:10
ok so do you have the XP Compatible version that I have? Everything you did was what I did up to this point. I've been playing it without the hardware on (which I dont mind as long as I'm paying it) but it would be great to see it with the video card working. So you are able to turn the Hardware on if you put it to run with Windows 2000?

ffox
6th Apr 2008, 06:12
This post at TTLG (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1719596#post1719596) may be of interest.

mattmanr
7th Apr 2008, 21:24
yeah i've pretty much done all of that, but it's working with the hardware off (and any time i put the hardware on it crashes immediatly) so i really don't understand where you can do the "hit and miss" thing to get it working with Hardware on. i am using the texture fix, 163.75 driver, and have the hardware off.