PDA

View Full Version : TR games don't need to be to realistic

Icetea555
19th Mar 2008, 19:52
I feel that the TR games could be in danger of being bordering if it gets too realistic. They don't always need to be realistic for it to be a good game some thing are better left unrealistic like for example her gun inventory. It is unrealistic but still fun. If Crystal Dynamics make everything realistic than it can be in danger of being bordering after a while so I say keep it realistic but don't be afraid to have unrealistic things in TR games.:rasp:

Werner Von Croy
19th Mar 2008, 20:08
I feel that the TR games could be in danger of being bordering if it gets too realistic. They don't always need to be realistic for it to be a good game some thing are better left unrealistic like for example her gun inventory. It is unrealistic but still fun. If Crystal Dynamics make everything realistic than it can be in danger of being bordering after a while so I say keep it realistic but don't be afraid to have unrealistic things in TR games.:rasp:

Yes agreed TR after all is a Fantasy game and should be very unrealistic as possible, such as I'm very surprised in Tomb raider 3 that Lara emerged from the murky Thames without having to get her stomach pumped, and seeing a dead Alien in the High Security Compound :lol:

rabid metro
20th Mar 2008, 02:12
i don't think the devs are interested in realism for the sake of realism. its more like, if realism enhances playability then lets exploit it creatively. realism may be subjective, but the trajectory of the current devs has yet to disappoint, so i think there's a realistic chance that they'll add just what is necessary to make TRU ... better than previous games, if not all-time great (just yet) ...
:cool:

Headache
20th Mar 2008, 19:27
Oh wow...

Miss. Croft
31st Mar 2008, 06:01

Hmm.... ive thought of this, and i agree half half. :D I think that the environment and Lara should look realistic, but as you said, the gun inventory doesnt need to be realistic. Its good to have a mix of both. Like with TR3, she had soo many weapons, fitted in a small backpack, and you think, how does she fit it in there? I liked that because it was pretty funny. I dont know really, id like a mix of both in TRU :D :)

JonSnow
1st Apr 2008, 00:11
When I first played Tombraider in '96, I was mesmerized by the opening theme. It only played through once and this was ok because it was a moment of reflection that eased me into Lara's adventure and allowed me to let go of all the stress of the real world.
I (and others) may have actually been pseudo-hypnotized into suspending our disbelief. My friends and I would discuss the details of the game. As I saw it, Lara had a touch of e.s.p. (all of her visions that we as the player used as clues to find whatever was being highlighted) She also had items which appeared to be of a mystical nature. She could fit all manner of things in her small backpack. Many keys, many items of healing, many weapons... let us all remember that her first adventure shows us that she killed (or was it captured) Bigfoot; she tracked down the resurrected Queen of Atlantis. She came across the Hand of Midas which turned ANYTHING (including herself) into solid gold. She fought living statues (St. Francis' Folly)
Before I type a novel, here we pause once more to reflect on the patterns here.
Unrealism...
She defies physics with her jumping, grabbing and landing abilities...
Why would ANY of us want to muck about with making it all more realistic? Imagine this... a player makes the character call for a ride to the airport where her private plane is waiting. General Aviation makes her wait until the pilot lodges his (or her) flight schedule. Lara gets hassled at Customs for her pistols (which she won't need anyway) because when she arrives on site, all she really gets to do is kneel in a mud pit and sift dirt through wire-mesh screens to find some near-insignificant shards of pottery. Meanwhile, poaches have stolen the gold trinkets six decades before anyone at the dig was even born!
Now the Egyptian Antiquities Authority come running.
Where would this end???
PLEASE just make a game with this in mind: TR has been an innovator in games that take us OUT of realism and straight into ESCAPISM.
why mess with that? ****