PDA

View Full Version : Dark Prophecy, Dead Sun, or Both???

Topherous86
17th Dec 2013, 11:08
So if you had a chance to see one of these cancelled games be resurrected in some form or another, which one would you like to see?

Honestly, I'd pick Dead Sun. It seemed to have a lot more going for it. Even if not in the form of a video game, I'd still like to see it's story elaborated in another medium (comics, novels, animated/live action film or webseries) or something. Dark Prophecy, while having awesome concepts and whatnot, should just be integrated into a future game or more, much like the other Kain games before it, who've had concepts and ideas pulled from cancelled games and later integrated into the final product, this would seem a more fitting role for Dark Prophecy.

JanusDominus
17th Dec 2013, 14:25
Dead Sun should stay dead. It's nothing but a pretentious unoriginal betrayal. Dark Prophecy while wouldn't have been fantastic, would give the players the long-wanted conclusion.

Topherous86
20th Dec 2013, 17:11
Yeah, I really don't know why people still have the mindset that the NEXT game should be the FINAL game. I believe that if this franchise is revitalized (not rebooted) in a proper manner (like, perhaps, remakes of BO1 and SR1 as a start) then this series has serious potential to keep going. It's still one of the best stories told in the medium, and with that, should get the attention it deserves, not just some 'one-off' to end the series and give what fans it does have some form of closure.

SynthFetish
20th Dec 2013, 19:39
As long as they never, ever try to make a MOBA it'll all be good.

IKathaarI
21st Dec 2013, 06:01
I want to see Kain's story continued, that said, after reading the synopsis on dead sun, I would LOVE to have played it! It looked like a great spin-off, with a very interesting story of two souls trapped in one body.

JanusDominus
22nd Dec 2013, 20:59
Yeah, I really don't know why people still have the mindset that the NEXT game should be the FINAL game. I believe that if this franchise is revitalized (not rebooted) in a proper manner (like, perhaps, remakes of BO1 and SR1 as a start) then this series has serious potential to keep going. It's still one of the best stories told in the medium, and with that, should get the attention it deserves, not just some 'one-off' to end the series and give what fans it does have some form of closure.
Well, you DID ask "Dead Sun, Dark Prophecy or both?", so I answered. If we're talking about having the series go, the best route to take is to remake BO1.

VikingVern
1st Jan 2014, 21:52
I feel popular franchises get drawn out too much for too long, Though I like how they tried to continue the story of blood omen by making soul reaver which was originally planned as a spin off. Good stories should come to a conclusion eventually, and sence the story spans millennia there is plenty of room for more spin offs and mid chapters. This nosgoth war game is a good example of something they could have made after they concluded the story. Or revitalizing a cancelled game stat starred vorridor, or even created an origin story involving the anciants and the hilden. Its possible that great story like this with a good conclusion years ago could have made kain's tale epic and popular enough for plenty of universal expansion.

ParadoxicalOmen
14th Jan 2014, 15:31
From the screenshots of the 'Dark Prophecy', it seemed to the same thing as Defiance in terms of visuals and gameplay.
Since i wasn't a great fan of Defiance's gameplay (already ranting about it on another thread Defiance was same as SR2. Wonderful story, yet gameplay paled in comparison with SR1 and BO1. It was focused on melee, with it's arcade-y style combat (reminded me of 'Devil may cry'). Our only powers were telekinesis and the reaver's charge attack.
Also, we could only use the reaver, so variety died a little more there. I was also bothered that Raziel and Kain played very much alike...they didn't differentiate them. They are each so unique, yet in the game it felt like a minor skin change. You even had a limited time to feed as Raziel! For Kain it made sense, since its blood, but why did Raziel have to feed before they died?

They had so much to work on...Kain had an amazing set of skills, powers and abilities in BO1. So many spells, so many transformations (Human, Werewolf, Ghost)...Same thing with Raziel... ) i wasn't particularly mad at it's cancellation at the time.
I assumed they were going to do a re-design of the game...sadly they gave up on it entirely.

As for Dead Sun, after reading what it was about, i was glad it was cancelled. It's story was very unpleasing to me. It didn't make sense that blue vampires appeared and had the ability to shift into the spectral realm (this was something unique of Raziel, due to his remaking...to my view) etc...

Although i wasn't pleased with Dark Prophecy, mostly due to the fear of it playing just like Defiance, it looked very interesting. There were concept arts of Hylden different than those in BO2, and Kain in wolf form (maybe they were finally going to consider Blood Omen 1?).

Well...I hope one day they make a game worthy of Kain. He is the most powerful being in Nosgoth after all (isn't he?)

Sluagh
14th Jan 2014, 17:16
I liked some of the concepts behind both. If I really in my heart of hearts had to pick one it would be Dark Prophesy, but Dead Sun I think was a brave concept, that with some good art design, plot and scripting (and the rest) would have been quite fascinating. I hope if they do another game though they develop the Dark Prophesy ideas that were in the mix, however:

- I am not sure how Kain can "fix" the whole Pillar thing. Going into the Hylden realm and taking them on there might be interesting, but despite being pretty venomous there's a certain tragedy to the Hylden like the Ancients, so it would be sad if he just went around mullering them completely (I don't know an awful lot of what they had planned in fairness).
- I think using the Seer as a sort of Ancient/Hylden hybrid who helps Kain could have been interesting, and maybe explained how she escaped the binding if that's what she was.
- Vorodor existing in the post Defiance landscape is kind of troubling and hard to resolve. I can't imagine Kain wanting to share power - he doesn't take to kindly to it in BO 2 when he's still quite young, even with all that extra history popping into his mind. Is the whole paradox meant to temper his personality somewhat? I don't know. If the Hylden really are a true enemy that need to be kept out by restoring the Pillars, then Kain could in some way have some kind of alliance with Voro, maybe even the humans, but I don't quite see how that would work, unless it was very cynical arrangement where everyone benefited. And Legacy of Kain is a very cynical series, there's not a lot of altruism on show.

ParadoxicalOmen
15th Jan 2014, 22:10
I liked some of the concepts behind both. If I really in my heart of hearts had to pick one it would be Dark Prophesy, but Dead Sun I think was a brave concept, that with some good art design, plot and scripting (and the rest) would have been quite fascinating. I hope if they do another game though they develop the Dark Prophesy ideas that were in the mix, however:

I really felt against Dead Sun after reading about a clan of vampires naturally gaining the ability to shift-at-will to the spectral realm, and devouring souls...seemed like they were trying to "bring back" Raziel. I couldn't see how this was possible, and probably any explanation would have felt like a load of crap.

Raziel devoured souls as he was a spirit, materialized in the physical realm...
Raziel was a spirit that for some reason was exempt from the wheel of fate (hope we find out some day...but perhaps somethings are better left as a mystery).
This made him 'immortal' as the Elder God could not absorb him, and maybe this is why he was chosen as his 'champion' to kill Kain,..but anyway, the EG gave him conduits to the spectral realm. Later he could shift to the spectral realm by possessing a body and reshaping it.

So, vampires that naturally gained shifting-at-will ability seems really wrong...same thing with they devouring souls. They're vampires...they are not revived vampires, just vampires.
And i would guess that the revived vampires, that learned the ability to devour souls from the spectral realm, didn't need souls to survive after they were brought back...

- I think using the Seer as a sort of Ancient/Hylden hybrid who helps Kain could have been interesting, and maybe explained how she escaped the binding if that's what she was.

I can't say for sure...but i remember her being a pure Hylden

- Vorodor existing in the post Defiance landscape is kind of troubling and hard to resolve. I can't imagine Kain wanting to share power

Most speculate it was Kain who revived him after refusing the sacrifice, perhaps to aid in the revival of the vampires?

I didn't re-do the research, but as i remember, Kain's ability to create vampires was different...he had to give a portion of his soul to an undead vessel, whilst Vorador could create vampires the normal way, by passing the curse.

Lord_Aevum
15th Jan 2014, 23:04
Raziel was a spirit that for some reason was exempt from the wheel of fate (hope we find out some day...but perhaps somethings are better left as a mystery).

We can say why that is right now, though. It's because he's the Soul Reaver. If two Reavers clash, history is displaced and the timeline is derailed. When you yourself are the Reaver and you wander around with a later version of yourself conjoined to your arm, you're a walking paradox waiting to happen and it's not going to be possible to track your moves accurately.

Vampmaster
16th Jan 2014, 00:07
We can say why that is right now, though. It's because he's the Soul Reaver. If two Reavers clash, history is displaced and the timeline is derailed. When you yourself are the Reaver and you wander around with a later version of yourself conjoined to your arm, you're a walking paradox waiting to happen and it's not going to be possible to track your moves accurately.

Are you saying the ability to change the past and the ability to the defy the EG are the same thing? It's not like Raziel didn't have free will before he aquired the Soul Reaver in SR1.

Lord_Aevum
16th Jan 2014, 01:28
Er, no, I'm not saying that?

Anybody can defy the Elder God. Elzevir or Irmok could defy the Elder God, if they knew of him and had a mind to. That's a choice of attitude, not any kind of world-bending superpower, to my understanding.

Vampmaster
16th Jan 2014, 08:15

Anybody can defy the Elder God. Elzevir or Irmok could defy the Elder God, if they knew of him and had a mind to. That's a choice of attitude, not any kind of world-bending superpower, to my understanding.

Oh, so it's time and not the EG that has taken away peoples free will? Where was that confirmed officially?

Sluagh
16th Jan 2014, 12:28
I really felt against Dead Sun after reading about a clan of vampires naturally gaining the ability to shift-at-will to the spectral realm, and devouring souls...seemed like they were trying to "bring back" Raziel. I couldn't see how this was possible, and probably any explanation would have felt like a load of crap.

I think maybe if they ran with the idea of soul devouring vampires over-developed it too much, you could object quite a lot to Dead Sun on those grounds. However in terms of lore, it's not that infeasible. Remember the revived vampires in SR? They could soul siphon from adapting to the spectral realm. Also, although we've never seen any vampires that could be said to exist in the spectral realm - Melchiah can be seen trundling around in the spectral realm, so must have some "phase" like power. You can chat to Dumah in spectral form too. Anyway, ultimately I suppose Dead Suns was going to be a game that a lot of people found conceptually quite unsatisfying.

I can't say for sure...but i remember her being a pure Hylden

I think it says somewhere about that here: (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=698), but I didn't realise until reading this. Although it says "a Seer." How many seers are there though?

Oh, so it's time and not the EG that has taken away peoples free will? Where was that confirmed officially?

Surely we don't know a great deal about the EG, other than it being present in different times, and fairly powerful (and potentially indestructible). Surely if he had some kind of control over wider powers like free will,, he would have acted against Raziel other than just try and lock him up. I always assumed Time stood outside of this. However there's not an awful lot of evidence to go on.

I wasn't sure that Elzevir knowingly defied the EG, did he? I mean, he seemed to be into his "soul" dollies for some kind of undisclosed, and possibly quite private purposes. The days before welded vinyl...

ParadoxicalOmen
18th Jan 2014, 20:44

So, as Raziel is the soul devouring entity in the Soul Reaver sword (said in SR2 epilogue), when Kain casts Raziel in the abyss he can't
be absorbed as he is also in the sword at the same time...is that it?

I think it says somewhere about that here: (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=698), but I didn't realise until reading this. Although it says "a Seer." How many seers are there though?

It's unsure to be honest, it could be a different seer or not. They describe her as a "Powerful and Mysterious Hylden" though ( http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/az/seer.php )

Lord_Aevum
18th Jan 2014, 22:09
So, as Raziel is the soul devouring entity in the Soul Reaver sword (said in SR2 epilogue), when Kain casts Raziel in the abyss he can't
be absorbed as he is also in the sword at the same time...is that it?

Kind of, but I don't think that's quite it. Raziel comes out of the Abyss because he is resurrected by the Elder God (although, he would still have risen one way or another because of his role). The thing I'm saying about his free will comes from Dan Cabuco (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339#p339): "because he exists both inside and outside the blade, he is a paradox." Also (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2023#p2023): "as for destiny [...] only twin bound Soul Reavers could change that."

My interpretation of that is: when you bring the Soul Reaver into proximity with itself, what happens? History feels threatened and starts preparing itself for the possibility of change, because you can't reave your own soul. Fate will simply not allow the Reaver to alter its own fundamental path. Raziel bound to the wraith-blade, just walking around, is a smaller version of that in himself. He is a constant threat, and a special exception to the rule, slightly decoupled from destiny. As long as he gets where he is ultimately supposed to go, history cannot really stop him or define his potential actions ahead of time. This prevents him from being tracked or predicted.

Dan is talking about The Seer in all those instances, the same old Seer from Blood Omen 2. Here (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2153#p2153) is another quote to support the point: "I thought it would be a nice loophole if she were a hybrid between the two races."

Sluagh
18th Jan 2014, 23:18
Dan is talking about The Seer in all those instances, the same old Seer from Blood Omen 2. Here (http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2153#p2153) is another quote to support the point: "I thought it would be a nice loophole if she were a hybrid between the two races."

Ah ok, thanks for finding that and clearing that up Aevum. I think her both might be an interesting loophole. Makes her character a bit more interesting than just Hylden who somehow avoided the binding. Also she would still have been an elder race or whatever, which I think was what Kain needed to kill the Mass was it not? (slightly not so good plot aspect of BO 2 that it was).

ParadoxicalOmen
21st Jan 2014, 03:35
I read what Daniel Cabuco wrote, and i learned quite a lot...thanks :)

I see that the Seer isn't a pure Hylden then...but since she owed Vorador a favor, my guess would be he passed the dark gift unto her. Therefor changing her nature and freeing her from banishment into the Demon Realm. In other words, the same way he converts humans to vampires by passing the curse...he did the same for her. So she is a hybrid but not in a sense that both races had a child...(Just a theory though)

I must admit i'm more confused about Raziel. I have 3 major questions...

1 - Why is he immortal?
2 - Why does he have free will?
3 - The Soul Reaver only devours souls because Raziel is trapped in it (and that is why the sword shatters in SR1...He can't consume himself)...but how is this possible? Raziel exists in the sword before he was remade in the abyss?

My theories: (please correct me if i'm way off)

1 - He can't be absorbed as he is an "agent" of the EG, since he (EG) "plugged himself into Raziel as he was being unmade/remade" (said by Daniel Cabuco http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2153#p2153 ).
Does this mean the Agents we saw in Defiance are also immortal? (the Crab-like and the flying Shark-like creatures)

2 - Does he have free-will because he is a living paradox, being bound to the Soul Reaver's wraith form, which contains himself?
Also on this topic...Does his free-will mean anything without the dual reaver paradox??
Because Moebius is only afraid of Raziel when he has 2 Reavers...(Wraith blade wrapped around the normal blade)

3 - My brain is kinda in a knot because of the time continuity thing...someone save me x(

Sataine
21st Jan 2014, 15:38
Here is what I always assumed or read into:

1. Destiny. Raziel is destined to be the lynch pin in the entire existence of Nosgoth. Without him the realm would fall into a barren wasteland. Which we see it beginning to do regardless in the events of Soul Reaver.

2. The Elder God is not completely tied in to the very fabric of Nosgoth as he claims. My personal view is that he is a foreign parasite that has only grown stronger after feeding off the life forces of the lifeforms of Nosgoth for millenia. Therefor, he doesn't control all as he claims. Raziel, having a greater destiny and not being tied down by the Elder God, is able to do as he pleases.

3. From my understanding out of the games' veritable dialogues is that Kain leaves the Raziel-infused Soul Reaver in the past after the events of Defiance and whatever possible games may (if ever) come afterward. Having William, Vorador, and one day Kain find it in the future since.

ParadoxicalOmen
22nd Jan 2014, 18:20
1. Destiny. Raziel is destined to be the lynch pin in the entire existence of Nosgoth. Without him the realm would fall into a barren wasteland. Which we see it beginning to do regardless in the events of Soul Reaver.

This really doesn't answer anything...it's the same as saying Kain survived his battle with Raziel because of his nature as Scion of Balance. Except in Raziel's case he isn't anything of the like, that i know of...

2. The Elder God is not completely tied in to the very fabric of Nosgoth as he claims. My personal view is that he is a foreign parasite that has only grown stronger after feeding off the life forces of the lifeforms of Nosgoth for millenia. Therefor, he doesn't control all as he claims. Raziel, having a greater destiny and not being tied down by the Elder God, is able to do as he pleases.

I think you got this wrong, mate. Everyone in Nosgoth is destined to follow a pre-ordained path in history..."History is immutable". Except this isn't always true...you CAN change history, but to do this you need to have 2 Soul Reavers as the paradox is strong enough etc etc...
But throughout the game everyone said that Raziel is an exception. He is the only creature in Nosgoth that truly has free-will and the power of choice. My question is "why?". And my second question was, does his free-will mean anything is he doesn't have 2 Reavers to change history? Did his free-will only matter in terms of his battle against Kain??

3. From my understanding out of the games' veritable dialogues is that Kain leaves the Raziel-infused Soul Reaver in the past after the events of Defiance and whatever possible games may (if ever) come afterward. Having William, Vorador, and one day Kain find it in the future since.

To my understanding, for the Reaver paradox to be possible, you need to get a future Reaver and bring is to the past. (it is the only way that 2 Reavers can exists simultaneously, respecting the time continuity)
Which is the case with Willaim (Kain traveled to the past to kill him, and he had the Reaver);
and in SR2 it was the case as the future Wraith Reaver came in contact with the corporeal Reaver in Raziel's decision to spare Kain, AND in the end where Raziel was saved by Kain.

Sure i get that Kain can leave the Raziel-infused Reaver in the past, i get the idea. So young Kain gets it in the cathedral, and many years later he will use it on Raziel and it will shatter etc etc.

The future Reaver was destroyed and bound into Raziel's arm as a wraith blade. So only the past Reaver exists and Raziel can alter history by reuniting past and future Reavers (wraith and corporeal).
And thus the events or SR2 happen, but Raziel isn't consumed by the past Reaver as Kain saves him (it remains a blood reaver).
So the events of Defiance happen, with Kain holding the past reaver (still blood reaver), and in the end of the game it will become the soul reaver.
Now Kain can go into the past once more and leave the Soul Reaver for young Kain to find in the Cathedral.

Here is where i get confused...the past (blood) reaver is turned into the soul reaver by Raziel entering the reaver, but Raziel has the wraith soul reaver which is the same one he is entering (its the same soul reaver, but in wraith form)...???

Razaiim
22nd Jan 2014, 19:18
Copy pasted from another post i made:
I always felt it would be highly inappropriate to call any additional games in the Nosgoth Legacy of Kain. The legacy has been lived out. Kain heralds the return of the Pillars to Vampire caretakers, Nupraptor's taint has been eliminated, and the Binding stands firm. The Elder God, while not vanquished, has had much of his influence shattered, and is surely cowering in some extra-planar crevice. The story has reached full circle, and is as complete as it ever could be. I will compare it to Halo here. Halo's main story is complete. The Halo array is deactivated, the Flood contained. The Covenant/Human war is over, disregarding the splinter faction in Halo 4. The new trilogy (4,5,6) are a new tale, set in the same universe, but built on the events of the prior trilogy (The relationship between Cortana and Chief). There are also the spin-off titles such as Reach which sets the stage for the Main Trilogy, and ODST/Halo wars, which take place during the war, but are alongside the main story, and do not affect it's outcome (Where Nosgoth sits right now).

What I am trying to get at, is that Nosgoth has such a rich universe, with so much unexplored and such a great amount of time between some events, that another story could be told. Could it involve Kain? It's Possible. Should it continue his Legacy? Doubtful I feel. His journey to change his nature, and remove a taint since his birth, and restore Balance and Nosgoth, is his true legacy, and it is complete.

Ideas: The war between the Ancient Races. Yes we all know how it ends (same with Halo Reach). But would it not fit Nosgoth to show the struggle that drew the Ancient and "noble" vampires to such desperation to banish the Hylden from their homeland, or cast a new light on events, and view them in away that hasn't been explored, to maintain the ambiguity of who's cause was right and just (can't remember the Hylden Lord's exact quote)? Or a tale that shows how the War for Nosgoth we are currently experiencing in the game ended, and how it was that the numbers of both humans and vampires throughout the land were so decimated, their species could barely continue in the Soul Reaver Era. What drove Raziel's "High-born kin" to the depraved depths we see in that era, beyond their devolution, as we see his brothers are still stupidly proud and vain, they must have been driven to the lowest of the low somehow.

Razaiim
22nd Jan 2014, 19:21
Here is where i get confused...the past (blood) reaver is turned into the soul reaver by Raziel entering the reaver, but Raziel has the wraith soul reaver which is the same one he is entering (its the same soul reaver, but in wraith form)...???

The wraith blade is Raziel's future soul. It is his future self, gone mad and deranged. It is bound to him because it is him. It takes the form of the reaver most likely because it is the only thing it has known in the many many....MANY centuries, possibly millenia (I don't remember).

ParadoxicalOmen
23rd Jan 2014, 03:42
Copy pasted from another post i made:
I always felt it would be highly inappropriate to call any additional games in the Nosgoth Legacy of Kain. The legacy has been lived out. Kain heralds the return of the Pillars to Vampire caretakers, Nupraptor's taint has been eliminated, and the Binding stands firm. The Elder God, while not vanquished, has had much of his influence shattered, and is surely cowering in some extra-planar crevice. The story has reached full circle, and is as complete as it ever could be. I will compare it to Halo here. Halo's main story is complete. The Halo array is deactivated, the Flood contained. The Covenant/Human war is over, disregarding the splinter faction in Halo 4. The new trilogy (4,5,6) are a new tale, set in the same universe, but built on the events of the prior trilogy (The relationship between Cortana and Chief). There are also the spin-off titles such as Reach which sets the stage for the Main Trilogy, and ODST/Halo wars, which take place during the war, but are alongside the main story, and do not affect it's outcome (Where Nosgoth sits right now).

What I am trying to get at, is that Nosgoth has such a rich universe, with so much unexplored and such a great amount of time between some events, that another story could be told. Could it involve Kain? It's Possible. Should it continue his Legacy? Doubtful I feel. His journey to change his nature, and remove a taint since his birth, and restore Balance and Nosgoth, is his true legacy, and it is complete.

I disagree on this.
The pillars are still in ruin...so Nosgoth is still doomed, no?

The wraith blade is Raziel's future soul. It is his future self, gone mad and deranged. It is bound to him because it is him. It takes the form of the reaver most likely because it is the only thing it has known in the many many....MANY centuries, possibly millenia (I don't remember).

I think the wraith blade isn't purely Raziel's soul...i think it's both Raziel and the Reaver, because if it was merely Raziel the Dual Reaver paradox wouldn't happen with the wraith blade.
I'm thinking of the ending of SR2...Kain altered history by saving Raziel, thanks to the temporal displacement created by 2 Reavers. And as i recall, the Reaver plunged in Raziel was still a Blood Reaver.

By the way, i started thinking more about my question, and saw that i was just confused about the chronological order of what happened hehe :p

mappalazarou
27th Jan 2014, 04:27
Although it was probably for the best that Dead Sun was cancelled, I would have been really interested to see how they'd handle a reboot/continuation. Square-Enix had the right idea when they wanted to go for a distant continuation, that way you can reboot the franchise whilst remaining loyal to the previous canon.

I wasn't totally against all of the concepts of Dead Sun, such as the blue vamps reappearing. I mean they're not the ancient vampires. They just happen to look like them. As for the spectral realm thing, yeah - that sounded sort of bizarre. Maybe if the main character was the only one who could do it then I wouldn't have been totally against the idea, because he is unique.

I'm still holding out for another single player Legacy of Kain game. To be honest, that's what really made me want to be a part of Nosgoth. I want it to be a success so that the franchise can bloom again. If such a game did ever get made though, you guys should probably understand that in all likelihood it won't be a direct continuation of Defiance, at least not like The Dark Prophecy was going to be - because so many years have passed.

The only way a single player Legacy of Kain can work now is by starting afresh. Use the previous games as a history to tell the next story, whatever that may be. Personally I think Kain himself should return to the 'skulking in the shadows' role he had back in Soul Reaver.

I always imagined Kain was going to crop up right at the end of Dead Sun anyway, like the main character stumbles into the subterranean ruins of the Sanctuary of the Clans and finds Kain sleeping on his throne, having been there for perhaps thousands of years since Defiance...

Sometimes my imagination gets the better of me :P

Kazimira
27th Feb 2014, 03:21
Nether. Both seemed to need something. I have a feeling though the pillars might need saving by younger Kain getting a doable reaver stabbing.