PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex endings 'borrowed' from Asimov?

redvisage
7th Mar 2008, 02:45
Hey all, since there's renewed interest in Deus Ex, I'd like to post a realization I had while going trhough the endings in the original Deus Ex. The three branches offered - merging with an AI superbeing, plunging the world into darkness, and guiding society through a clandestine organization, seem to directly parallel the endings given to Golan Trevize at the end of Issac Asimov's Foundation series. I'll elaborate, and you can check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation%27s_Edge or the books themselves to see if you agree.

So basically the setup is this; in a global empire on the brink of collapse, several factions battle to implement their visions of what they feel is the right fate for the universe. A faction led by Mayor Branno wants the empire to collapse and the galaxy to go through several thousand years of 'dark ages', so it can start with a clean slate and eventually reemerge as a better society. The Second Foundation is a shadowy organization that wants to use Harry Seldon's psychohistory to control and guide humanity. The third is Gaia, a collective intelligence the size of a planet.

Starting to sound familiar? :)

So in the end, there is a stalemate that only Trevize can resolve. I'll quote from wikipedia:

"Once he trades ships with Compor, Gendibal is met by another ship, a First Foundation warship, commanded by Mayor Branno. As Gendibal's mental powers stalemate with Mayor Branno's force shield, Novi reveals herself as an agent of Gaia. Once she joins the stalemate, the three are locked until Trevize can join them.

Bliss admits to Trevize had been led to Gaia so that his untouched mind, a mind with amazing intuition, could decide the galaxy's fate. He also learns that the stalemate between the First Foundation (Branno), the Second Foundation (Gendibal), and Gaia (Novi) was intentional, and that through the ship's computer, he would decide who would ultimately prove victorious."

Three factions/visions for the world locked in a stalemate? Relying on a certain 'deus ex machina' to make help one of them win? Seem like some pretty strong connections to me. Not that this kind of cribbing makes it a bad game - I loved Deus Ex from beginning to end. In fact, I thought it was a great way of paying homage to great sci-fi writer. It's just that I've never heard anyone make the Deus Ex - Asimov connection, and wanted to share it with you all.

Tell me what you think, and remember, you heard it here first!

minus0ne
7th Mar 2008, 08:17
Tell me what you think, and remember, you heard it here first!
Actually no, I've come across this several times (though I haven't read any of the Foundation books). Many other works of fiction 'borrow' from Asimov's works, including other DX inspirations. There was an inspiration thread here some time ago, I think.