PDA

View Full Version : what about Lara in the comics?

raidingsince'96
5th Mar 2008, 04:22
which is your fav. comic book artist that has drawn Lara Croft? I LOVED when Micheal Turner drew the tomb raider/ witchblade series! i just think his style was best.

Spong
5th Mar 2008, 10:43
I've never read any of the comics, not my thing I'm afraid. I've seen pictures down the line though, and I always thought they made Lara look too gritty, rugged and rough. All that kick-ass attitude is nonsense, Lara's elegant & refined, at least she was until the likes of Legend & Anniversary came along.

And welcome to the forum raidingsince'96 :D

raidingsince'96
6th Mar 2008, 01:30
why thank you! what is it about TRL and TRA that you don't like?

Headache
6th Mar 2008, 01:43
I've never read any of the comics, not my thing I'm afraid.
Same goes for me as well.
Though I've been entertaining the idea vaguely... I just don't want to get too immersed because I don't need another stack of reading material around here since I have enough as it is... As far as horse magazines and catalogs go at least. :D

raidingsince'96
6th Mar 2008, 01:58
Same goes for me as well.
Though I've been entertaining the idea vaguely... I just don't want to get too immersed because I don't need another stack of reading material around here since I have enough as it is... As far as horse magazines and catalogs go at least. :D

i hear that...but if you did i would recommend just the tomb raider/witchblade...thats all i got into...mainly for the artwork...it's good if you want a lil taste :D

Larahair
6th Mar 2008, 02:12
I never read the comics cause I couldn't read them due to being legally blind the print is too small also I didn't like the way they drew Lara they made her ugly.

Fickji
6th Mar 2008, 02:52
I loved the way they drew Lara. I could kick myself for not buying the Tombraider/witchblade crossovers. They were so elegent and beautiful.

I actually collected Tomb Raider comics 1 thru I think 17 and then some after that sporatically.

Whenever I find one I buy one. But I don't get to comic shops much anymore and none of the bookstores I go to sell comics anymore.

I wonder though who drew the first Tomb Raider comics? Maybe it was the same person as the crossovers?

I also want the Tomb Raider/Witchblade/Fathom crossover comics.
SO BEAUTIFUL!

Spong
6th Mar 2008, 08:26
what is it about TRL and TRA that you don't like?

Well my friend, where shall I begin?
This is off-topic for this thread, so I'll make it quick.

Legend:

Was horrifically short
Was too easy
Was too much about the graphics
Had awful 'context sensitive' gameplay that precluded you from doing what you wanted when you wanted
Had ridiculous bike sections
Had a stupid "techno" soundtrack
Was all about Lara and not about the tombs she raids
Was set in too contemporary an environment
The only good thing about Legend was the new combat system.

Anniversary:

Was too short (when compared to the original)
Was too easy (even on 'Hard' difficulty)
Was missing HUGE sections of certain levels
Was missing ENTIRE LEVELS in fact
Placed too much emphasis on a couple of set-pieces cherry-picked from the original

Hang around these boards long enough raidingsince'96 and you'll come to realise that my heart most definitely lies with the original Tomb Raider games, not the shallow, short-lived graphics-fest next-gen titles. They're okay, but they can't hold a candle to the old-skool Raiders.

Anyway, back on topic people...

naraku
6th Mar 2008, 09:10
Whoever did #32 and #4. Was it Alex Ross? I have the comics but I can't find them right now to look for artist names.

Fickji
6th Mar 2008, 21:22
4th comic penciled by Andy Park, inked by Jonathan Sibal, and colored by Jonathan D. Smith.

Hope this helps, these were my favorite too.

I only have comics up until 23 so I don't know about 32.

AND I love the next-gen games. They don't give me heart attacks like the old ones. Their easy enough for the new gamers to get into or me who went on hiatus from the old ones.

And I like the bike ones even though the one in Russia? was way to long. More jumps and less linear would have made it better though. Like TR3 india level. Another problem was that the levels were way to long and there was no way to break them up and play what you wanted

Besides Anniversary was what the title stated. It wasn't supposed to be a carbon copy of the original. Something to bridge the gap btw Legend and Underworld for those who never played the originals. AND CAN'T DO TO STUPID COMPATIBILITY ISSUES.

TwinPistols
7th Mar 2008, 21:04
Last week I read two TR comics and I didn't like it. Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but when I read it, I thought:" This girl is called Lara, she's a Tomb Raider, but she isn't Lara". I had a big disapointment.:(

Fickji
9th Mar 2008, 20:17
It's easier to read the comics if you read them in Lara's british accent. It makes it more believable.

Also if you put on some Tomb Raider music. Atmosphere is key to a better reading.

And yes, it is more fun to play with Lara then to google over comic pictures of her. But it helps when waiting for the next game instead of getting withdrawel symtoms.

Treeble
9th Mar 2008, 20:26
I enjoyed all the comics, and it's interesting too see different artists taking a Lara approach. Sometimes the stories are a bit over the top, but what in Tomb Raider isn't. ;)

I'm still waiting for Top Cow to announce volume 2. :thumbsup:

Bampire
9th Mar 2008, 22:22
Spong.. I love you. You explained everything that I disliked about Legend and the true faults about the Tomb Raider remake.

Spong
10th Mar 2008, 00:40
@Goar
Well, there's a compliment I never saw coming... :o