PDA

View Full Version : How would you Like to save in TR:U

William Croft
2nd Mar 2008, 18:15
I chose 'Chose after each level' Only way i'll be happy with the saving stystem, we'll have to see. :thumbsup:

Verios
2nd Mar 2008, 22:08
I'd have to say checkpoints that are further spread apart for me. The whole "Save Anywhere at Anytime" just makes (what will probably be, going by TR:Legends and TR:A) an already easy game even easier in my opinion.

Larapink
2nd Mar 2008, 22:11
Checkpoint system is the best, if you fall its very unlikely that you will have to start the whole level again to get back to where you were. So checkpoints a better becuase they are more practical.

LisaB1962
3rd Mar 2008, 03:02
Checkpoints only work in linear games where you don't go through areas multiple times. I want to control where I save, not be forced into saving.

Fickji
3rd Mar 2008, 03:34
LisaB
Checkpoints only work in linear games where you don't go through areas multiple times. I want to control where I save, not be forced into saving.

Sorry, I don't know how to quote.

But I very much agree with you. Especialy if the new game is so much nonlinear as what they wish it to be. Give me save anywhere.

But would it work in time trials?:scratch:

LisaB1962
3rd Mar 2008, 12:29
*shrugs* I don't do time trials. It's a non-issue with me.

William Croft
3rd Mar 2008, 16:01
*shrugs* I don't do time trials. It's a non-issue with me.

:eek: :eek: Non issue you don't want golden shotguns and soul reaver :eek: Sure is fun lol

LisaB1962
3rd Mar 2008, 18:25
I don't want to play Tomb Raider at a break neck pace. And those aren't cool enough rewards for me to do something I don't want to do. :D

Tomb-Dude
3rd Mar 2008, 18:43
:eek: :eek: Non issue you don't want golden shotguns and soul reaver :eek: Sure is fun lol

I agree with Lisa, Time trials are kind pointless...
I have done them, all in Legend on ps2 but on PC they are impossible for me! I got to egypt on Anniversary on PS2 (as thats the only copy i have for it) but i can't do it, you get a rediculas amount of time and you speeding though a level, which i don't find fun and very frustrating! :D

Mangar The Dark
3rd Mar 2008, 20:36
I want to be able to save whenever/wherever I want, just like in the old games.

I never really understand people who say that the ability to save anywhere makes a game too easy. If you want it to be more challenging, then DON'T save all the time-- have some self-restraint. Tell yourself, "I'll only save AFTER I get past this set of traps" or "I'll only let myself save after I complete this series of jumps."
The ability to save whenever you want means exactly that: "Wherever you WANT." If you don't want to save frequently, then don't. But for those of us with frequent interuptions and whatnot (or who simply don't like replaying the same set of jumps 20 times), we should be able to save when/where we want.

LisaB1962
3rd Mar 2008, 20:58
But for those of us with frequent interuptions and whatnot . . .

"Whatnot" . . . is that a technical term for Real Life? :D LOL. Totally agree.

TDK
4th Mar 2008, 11:41
Save where ever you want this is the best thing just like AOD :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
4th Mar 2008, 11:48
I do not like being told what to do. Never have. So I loathe being told when and where I can save my game, and how many spots I am allowed to save in. ;) I have over 500gb of harddrive space at the moment, and if I want to fill it up with savegames, it's my right. ;)

So, I always vote "Save Anywhere at Anytime" no matter the game. Easy or hard, I don't want to be controlled by how someone else thinks I should play the game.

Rai
4th Mar 2008, 16:27
Erm, what is the difference between save crystals and checkpoints? From my understanding, in at least one of the older games (was it TR1?) you couldn't save unless you reached a crystal and if you messed up you'd be taken back to the last crystal. Isn't that pretty much the same as the checkpoints? Obviously you still have the option to save at the end of a level in both cases.

I like the idea of save anywhere. The only problem with the older games is that they were less linear than the newer ones. Sometimes I'd save and forget where I was or what I'd done :lol: (Last Revelations comes to mind). At least you can't make that mistake in TRL and TRA. Just to clarify, I prefer less linear gaming.

Fickji
4th Mar 2008, 18:11
I'm not sure but I think that checkpoints are taken automatically and save crystals you had to run into to manually save your progress.

As I said I'm not sure as all the TR games I played were save anywhere. I mean on the PC and not counting the newest ones.Which is why I voted that way. Its better when you can save on a tricky jump or after a gruelling traps aplenty.

It doesn't make the game easier but at least you don't have to worry about dying and then having to do everything over again.
Especially with some of those secret artifact collecting. (TRA egypt Oblestic of Khamoon comes to find):mad2:

Mangar The Dark
4th Mar 2008, 20:10
Erm, what is the difference between save crystals and checkpoints?

I think in one of the console versions of TR3 (I may be wrong about this), you could stock up on Save Crystals and use them wherever you wanted. I only ever played the PC versions, though, which had unlimited saves (thank you, Core!!) so I'm really not sure.

LisaB1962
4th Mar 2008, 21:42
Here's the breakdown of the console save system:

TR1: save points marked by crystals that could be used only once. You were allowed one save per level labeled "current position" in the save list. You could also, however, restart a level at any time regardless of whether or not you had beaten that level.

TR2: Save anywhere, but still only one save point per level plus restart level.

TR3: Collect crystals that allow you to save your game at any point. You are still only allowed one save per level (plus restart level.) So while you can save at any point, the number of saves are limited. TR3 is a brutal game, and I had to use a cheat code to get more saves to finish the game. *shakes fist at Mine Car level* :mad2:

TR4: Save anywhere PLUS multiple saves in a level. However, gone is the restart a level from the beginning unless you had the foresight to save there (and still have the save file.)

TR5: I honestly don't remember, but I think it's the same as TR4's.

AOD: Who cares? :D *puts on flamesuit*

The problem with checkpoints as currently implemented is that they are unmarked therefore you are saving over whatever progress you've made involuntarily. The unmarked nature means you may inadvertently overwrite a more favorable point without meaning to.

I prefer save anywhere. I will accept GOW's save system for those who think save anywhere is too easy. Just kill the unmarked checkpoint system please!:nut:

humbug
5th Mar 2008, 16:30
I prefer to save anywhere I want. Its quite annoying when you have to complete difficult areas without being able to save the game, the great pyramid spings to mind!

zakker
5th Mar 2008, 17:01
i want both saving options:
the any where save.
the check points saving system, which allow restore of health when reloading.
:rasp:

Jezyk
5th Mar 2008, 17:17
the check points saving system, which allow restore of health when reloading.

That's another thing I don't like about checkpoints... why use medpacks when you can just go and kill her off? :rolleyes:

KasigiYabuSama
6th Mar 2008, 04:42
This has been the single most irritating change since Legend, based on a false presumption: that "checkpoints add difficulty to the game."

Wrong-o.

Oh, the checkpoints do force you to replay a single series of moves umpty-million times if there happens to be a move you can't get the hang of. But forced repetition of an otherwise mundane (and by the second millionth repetition, criminal-insanity-inducing,) sequence does absolutely nothing to enhance the game's difficulty. It just...forces you to repeat something.

:mad2:

IOW, forced repetition does not equal "difficulty," rather just a frothing hostility to that particular design decision and whoever made it - something more or less the polar opposite of AGoodTime.

There's one choice the Poll ought to have though: "User-Selectable." It looks like there's a genuine Tyranny Of The Majority happening here on behalf of save-at-will, but given that there is a good number of crazies who like other save methods too, the save method should be selectable in options, assuming no major coding hassles to include multiple methods.

SunriseSunset
6th Mar 2008, 11:35
Save anywhere at any time.

It's annoying having to go through a whole area again and again, especially if you end up worse off than the last time e.g. last you had 20 bullets, but this time a battle went wrong and now you only have 5.:mad2:

Plus sometimes I feel like turning the game off and doing something else, but I can't because I need to keep going until I reach the next save point, whenever that may be.

Like someone said, Saving any time you want lets everyone have their way e.g. you want checkpoints, then set your own.

William Croft
8th Mar 2008, 13:12
Save anywhere at any time.

It's annoying having to go through a whole area again and again, especially if you end up worse off than the last time e.g. last you had 20 bullets, but this time a battle went wrong and now you only have 5.:mad2:

Plus sometimes I feel like turning the game off and doing something else, but I can't because I need to keep going until I reach the next save point, whenever that may be.

Like someone said, Saving any time you want lets everyone have their way e.g. you want checkpoints, then set your own.

The checkpoints in TRL and TRA(E) wern't that far spread apart... They were reasonably close..

BlakeNowah
8th Mar 2008, 15:50
How would you Like to save in TR:U

I would choose the "save anytime you want" feature, offcourse with the restriction of NOT saving in mid-jump or when doing a sophisticated set of moves.

While the checkpoint save would keep the story more fluid, it is somewhat restrictive and can be frustrating at some points during the gameplay.

Hi comunity, and a big warm congratulations to the game designers/programmers. You aimed and hit the feeling of the original Tomb Raider.
In my oppinion, at least. ;)

killman
8th Mar 2008, 16:45
Save everywhere you want :D

Hi all :rolleyes:

Imaginary Whisk
9th Mar 2008, 09:27
I'd have to say saving where ever you want. And it goes both ways. It can help with difficult jump sequences that aren't timed, or right after a cut scene - right before a boss fight. This could also work against you, as you could get yourself stuck in a dangerous spot with no med packs(assuming they continue to use them) or just simply getting yourself lost if your last save was a while back in the middle of a complicated puzzle.

TwinPistols
9th Mar 2008, 09:46
I vote save anywhere, but I would like a save system with checkpoints, but you could save anywhere you want. This way, if Lara died, we would load the last checkpoint (if you don't like to be always saving) or the last manual save, wherever she is. With checkpoints, if you die you have to do a puzzle or a trap sequence again and again after you reach the next checkpoint, sometimes it's frustating.

matches81
10th Mar 2008, 02:01
This has been the single most irritating change since Legend, based on a false presumption: that "checkpoints add difficulty to the game."

Wrong-o.

Oh, the checkpoints do force you to replay a single series of moves umpty-million times if there happens to be a move you can't get the hang of. But forced repetition of an otherwise mundane (and by the second millionth repetition, criminal-insanity-inducing,) sequence does absolutely nothing to enhance the game's difficulty. It just...forces you to repeat something.

:mad2:

IOW, forced repetition does not equal "difficulty," rather just a frothing hostility to that particular design decision and whoever made it - something more or less the polar opposite of AGoodTime.

There's one choice the Poll ought to have though: "User-Selectable." It looks like there's a genuine Tyranny Of The Majority happening here on behalf of save-at-will, but given that there is a good number of crazies who like other save methods too, the save method should be selectable in options, assuming no major coding hassles to include multiple methods.
QFT.
I don't see a reason why one would have to choose between checkpoints and "save anywhere". Both things together would work fine:
- People who always forget to save will be happy to have a checkpoint.
- I don't have to repeat a mundane sequence over and over again just because there's a difficult thing at the end of it and the level designers somehow thought a checkpoint would be unnecessary there.

Also, it wouldn't be a problem to make "save anywhere" an option you can turn off if you really want to. Furthermore it would allow to spread the checkpoints a bit further apart without adding too much frustration for less skilled players.

There are only benefits from using both options together, so I don't see why not.

PS: I voted for "save anywhere", just because if I'm forced to choose, I'd pick that.

GrieverFX
10th Mar 2008, 06:38
Save anywhere of course :rasp:

William Croft
16th Mar 2008, 20:04
I vote save anywhere, but I would like a save system with checkpoints, but you could save anywhere you want. This way, if Lara died, we would load the last checkpoint (if you don't like to be always saving) or the last manual save, wherever she is. With checkpoints, if you die you have to do a puzzle or a trap sequence again and again after you reach the next checkpoint, sometimes it's frustating.

Yer, it can be fustrating but the checkpoints arent that far spread apart.

Laura Croft
17th Mar 2008, 09:32
I say bring back the "save-wherever-and-whenever-you-like" option. It's gets really boring when you die many times over a difficult part and have to keep replaying the last 60 seconds of gameplay.

Imaginary Whisk
18th Mar 2008, 08:58
Brings the fun option to the table of loading a sibling/friend/spouse's game & leaping out over lava or a spike pit & saving just to mess up their game. xD

I think it'd be better to save where ever you want, but not while preforming a complicated action. :p

William Croft
21st Mar 2008, 13:42
Brings the fun option to the table of loading a sibling/friend/spouse's game & leaping out over lava or a spike pit & saving just to mess up their game. xD

Hhahahahaha, too true, good days huh?

singyouranthem
22nd Mar 2008, 14:27
Checkpoints are useful as they're automatic and, so far, placed in appropriate locations by the game designers. However, 'save anywhere' is much better in terms of having more control/freedom and better organisation of savefiles (oh, and I like that we can name our savefiles in TRA! - though we can't rename them in the game itself after one is saved, can only do so after exiting the game using Windows' folders). Checkpoints get erased after another one is saved making manual saves essential.

So, checkpoints and 'save anywhere' - too much to ask for? :scratch:

I also would like the 'quick save' feature found in the earlier games back! It's annoying having to scroll down during a manual save all the time. :mad2:

OLDTRer
25th Mar 2008, 00:48
I'm an old fart, so I prefer saving almost anywhere. Like when she can stand, hanging (on a rope, cliff, etc.), under or above water, in/on a car/truck/motorcycle/boat/airplane/etc..

OLDTRer

rabid metro
25th Mar 2008, 03:11
I'm an old fart, so I prefer saving almost anywhere. Like when she can stand, hanging (on a rope, cliff, etc.), under or above water, in/on a car/truck/motorcycle/boat/airplane/etc..

ummm, would you, could you in a box? ...

sorry, i couldn't resist ...
Raid On!
:cool:

LaraCroftRox
25th Mar 2008, 16:12
I'm mixed with checkpoints and save where ever you want because I like the check points but if Tomb Raider Underworld is non-linear then it wont really work...:scratch:

OLDTRer
26th Mar 2008, 03:38

sorry, i couldn't resist ...
Raid On!
:cool:

Certainly, but maybe as a new save file name :rolleyes:

OLDTRer

wgell
3rd Apr 2008, 17:07
Save anywhere, any time with auto saves spread throughout the game in case you forget to save. Perfectly simple. The checkpoint system of TRL and TRA is out dated and just plain annoying.:mad2:

Mangar The Dark
3rd Apr 2008, 17:18

I do not like checkpoints and ham!