PDA

View Full Version : cover up??

Tomraider
2nd Mar 2008, 00:32
well in my opinion..i think the designers need to give lara a shirt that isnt so revealing! I mean come on ... laras just a sex symbol now! Im sorry but im an oldfashion kid of guy!As much as i couldnt stand her legend outfit..i think it was great how they didnt just CABLAM!!expose her like they're doing now!If you feel the way i do then :) great..if not then ok.. we all got our own opinions!

Rai
2nd Mar 2008, 02:38
To be fair, Lara was showing her midriff in Legend just as much as the TRU top, which is only slightly more revealing and is sleeveless. But you're right, it isn't necessary to have her in those skimpy clothes. She should wear clothes that are both weather/environment appropriate and practical. But her clothes have always been on the tight side and her short shorts are almost a trade mark, not unlike her backpack.

matches81
2nd Mar 2008, 11:55
well in my opinion..i think the designers need to give lara a shirt that isnt so revealing! I mean come on ... laras just a sex symbol now! Im sorry but im an oldfashion kid of guy!As much as i couldnt stand her legend outfit..i think it was great how they didnt just CABLAM!!expose her like they're doing now!If you feel the way i do then :) great..if not then ok.. we all got our own opinions!

Imho Lara has been a "sex symbol" for quite some time. I remember, back when I was still reading games print magazines regularly, one issue of such a magazine came with sort of a "pin-up" like poster of Lara. That was quite a few years ago.
So, it's nothing new, and I think it's part of what made her one of the most well-known game characters of all time.
The only thing that changed is the visual quality of games really. I must admit I noticed nothing out of the ordinary when I looked at the TRU screenshots last time. In fact I don't see too much of a difference now, either. Pants and top are tight, as always, but that's nothing new.

LisaB1962
2nd Mar 2008, 13:34
Graphics do make a difference though. Things look much more suggestive in PS2/next gen graphics.

Personally, I hate it when Lara is sex-kittened up. That is just so not in her personality. The Japan dress was a travesty that belonged in DOA not in Tomb Raider. ****

However, it is a game, so I understand allowances must be made. I'll take the tight shorts and shirt, just lose the exposed midriff. That's just unprofessional, plus it's out of fashion now anyway (although it's taking some time for mall rats to get the message.;) )

Headache
2nd Mar 2008, 16:12
You also need to take into account that to do the things that Lara does (IE, acrobatics), she needs as little restriction as possible. Although I very much agree they're slightly overdoing it.
But like LisaB said, it is a game.

Captain Mazda
2nd Mar 2008, 20:30
Oh dear...

KasigiYabuSama
7th Mar 2008, 06:16
I disagree entirely. From the instant Tomb Raider I hit the shelves it was trashed by "superior cynics" (as Professor Peart would put it,) as "sexist" and "lewd" and "something only adolescent boys will want to play."

'Turns out those criticisms were blown away not just by logic but by gamers who voted with their wallets in droves. And the rest, as they say...

If you think about it, the mix of overamped sexiness with overamped action hero (I've always considered Lara to be a borderline Marvel-type superhero, just more subtle in her abilities,) is a big part of what made the franchise such a success. Maybe it's my perspective as a guy, but Lara's femininity-on-steroids serves to enhance, not detract from, her pedal-to-the-metal abilities and the strength of her character. She's not afraid of lions and tigers and bears and Atlanteans and Natla, so the idea of her nervously uglying herself down to cater to this weirdo PC/Moral Majority merger we've seen arise in the last decade, would be just a little out of character.

As a concrete example, though Angelina is at the top of my list of fave actors ('can't wait to see her Dagny,) and her performance in the first movie was perfect despite a horrid story, the way she was "masculinized" for "Cradle of Life" resulted in a Lara that seemed like she was straining to morph into the next Terminator - a Lara that was, as a result, dull as a test pattern.

Maybe this is an issue that'll have a clear divide on gender lines, maybe not, but my attitude is "the sexier, the better," within reason. What I'd dread is Lara getting transformed into a watered-down, sexless, postmodern "PC"-prude monstrosity of the general Rosie O'Donnell/Jeanine Garofalo model - meaning: the attitude those two project, not a slam on their physical appearance. (Jeanine is actually kinda hot anyway IMO. D'OH! That's probably "patronizing," huh. Tsk.)

If anything the new Lara has already gotten a shade too bland and too overtly serious, despite the outfits and polygon counts. I hope CD will refocus on the original TR attitude on Lara's appearance and personality - basically thumbing their noses at all things trendy, prudish and Politically Conformist - as much as they've suggested they're trying to do with the overall feel of the game. From the start Lara has been hardcore, but also projecting a subtle sense of fun and...a self-confident, over-the-top sexiness.

And that, I submit, is a good thing.

I yield the soapbox to....

Tomraider
16th Mar 2008, 22:41
I disagree entirely. From the instant Tomb Raider I hit the shelves it was trashed by "superior cynics" (as Professor Peart would put it,) as "sexist" and "lewd" and "something only adolescent boys will want to play."

'Turns out those criticisms were blown away not just by logic but by gamers who voted with their wallets in droves. And the rest, as they say...

If you think about it, the mix of overamped sexiness with overamped action hero (I've always considered Lara to be a borderline Marvel-type superhero, just more subtle in her abilities,) is a big part of what made the franchise such a success. Maybe it's my perspective as a guy, but Lara's femininity-on-steroids serves to enhance, not detract from, her pedal-to-the-metal abilities and the strength of her character. She's not afraid of lions and tigers and bears and Atlanteans and Natla, so the idea of her nervously uglying herself down to cater to this weirdo PC/Moral Majority merger we've seen arise in the last decade, would be just a little out of character.

As a concrete example, though Angelina is at the top of my list of fave actors ('can't wait to see her Dagny,) and her performance in the first movie was perfect despite a horrid story, the way she was "masculinized" for "Cradle of Life" resulted in a Lara that seemed like she was straining to morph into the next Terminator - a Lara that was, as a result, dull as a test pattern.

Maybe this is an issue that'll have a clear divide on gender lines, maybe not, but my attitude is "the sexier, the better," within reason. What I'd dread is Lara getting transformed into a watered-down, sexless, postmodern "PC"-prude monstrosity of the general Rosie O'Donnell/Jeanine Garofalo model - meaning: the attitude those two project, not a slam on their physical appearance. (Jeanine is actually kinda hot anyway IMO. D'OH! That's probably "patronizing," huh. Tsk.)

If anything the new Lara has already gotten a shade too bland and too overtly serious, despite the outfits and polygon counts. I hope CD will refocus on the original TR attitude on Lara's appearance and personality - basically thumbing their noses at all things trendy, prudish and Politically Conformist - as much as they've suggested they're trying to do with the overall feel of the game. From the start Lara has been hardcore, but also projecting a subtle sense of fun and...a self-confident, over-the-top sexiness.

And that, I submit, is a good thing.

I yield the soapbox to....

So you are saying that lust should be allowed?I seriously dont think it should!

naraku
16th Mar 2008, 23:51
Uhmm it already has been e.i Tomb Raider the Cradle of Life. Lara and Terry on that Chinese ship sexing it up. Anyone here ever seen those gymnastic competitions, or jogging or been to the Gym? Well skimpy clothes are everywhere. Places like the Grand Canyon. Its not mandatory its a matter of choice and a reflection of said persons. In comparison Lara in Legend and Anniversary is covered up. From the screen shots of TRU the shorts she wears don't appear to be as short as TRA or TRL. I'll bet those Gymnast are wishing they could wear shorts.

matches81
17th Mar 2008, 02:57
I disagree entirely. From the instant Tomb Raider I hit the shelves it was trashed by [...]

I agree completely.

james987654321
17th Mar 2008, 03:00
The Japan dress was a travesty that belonged in DOA not in Tomb Raider. ****

Haha I agree about the dress, but i think her Legend raiding outfit is fine, she is running around in hot climates all the time. Maybe they could lower her shirt a bit...

matches81
17th Mar 2008, 03:02
So you are saying that lust should be allowed?I seriously dont think it should!

AFAIK, even in the USA, lust is allowed, because lust is a feeling ;) So... if you want to live in a society where lust is "forbidden", you probably should become a monk.
Are you seriously suggesting there should be no tight / sexy clothes depicted in games (and probably other media, too, I guess)? If so, why?

Fickji
17th Mar 2008, 03:29
I think it all depends on where she is. In a warm climate shorts and a t-shirt would be good. Like in TRL the clothes she wears differ with the locations she's in. Colder climates like Russia, Napal and England, she was wearing clothing that would keep her warm and were not revealing at all.

Besides its a game. If I wore shorts like she does I would scrap all the skin off my arms and legs before the end of the mission.

It really depends on your comfort level. If you don't like seeing her in all her faminine glory than change the outfit. They give you a choice now. What says coverup more than a beige suit.

laralova101
17th Mar 2008, 08:11
oh my god! finally someone said it! i could not agree more with you its discusting how their portraying Lara now a sex symbal she is much more than that!

TDK
17th Mar 2008, 10:34
Lara is a sexy woman and there is nothing wrong with showing some things or as u said revealing stuff and yes she is a tomb girl but who would go to a tomb wearing a baggy jeans with cotton sweater !

Laura Croft
17th Mar 2008, 13:27
Me? I mostly just miss the original outfit. But I have to confess I do enjoy seeing what different outfits they come up with for her. Who really cares about all this "sex symbol" & "feminism" tripe? The way Lara is is what made her such an iconic video game heroine in the first place. You can't really take that away can you? And as TDK said, why would you climb jutting rocks, swim in jungle rivers, kayak down rapids, somersault & flip over the bad guys wearing a baggy shirt & pants? She needs tight fitting stuff so it won't snag on things as she darts around.

RinoTheBouncer
17th Mar 2008, 14:14
Lara looks great however she is
and the legend outfit were better than ever , at least they weren't as boring as her classic outfits...c'mon guys , let's make new things , Lara isn't only about Tomb Raiding , TOMBS ONLY ? Gimme a break ,that's too boring , i mean when she finishes all the tombs What's NExt ?

so she gotta start showin new style NOT AS A SEX SYMBOLE ONLY but she can be an adventurer in many many sections , archealogical , political , social...etc. she can do a gr8 job......n i love her outfits btw , n it's better if we can go to a botique or a dress maker to make out own outfits in TRU (as a special feature).......dats my oppinion...thanks for listenin hehehehe.

Randy 54
17th Mar 2008, 23:24
:scratch:

Peach
17th Mar 2008, 23:34
When has Lara Croft not been a sex symbol? I remember playing the first one in 1996 and she was a sex symbol then (only with Madonna-esque cone shaped bosom). Since then, she's just continued down that course. Almost every female gaming character is a sex symbol (within reason) or portrayed in an exposed manner. Why? Think of the audience most game production companies are catering to: Men. That's why. It's like placing a bikini clad beauty next to a gorgeous muscle car. It attracts the audience they're looking for.

Would Tomb Raider have been as successful if Lara was instead a man? Doubtful. In 1996, the audience for gaming was (and to a degree still is) widely populated by those of the Y chromosome (aka men).

Her outfits are part of what makes her an icon in the gaming industry. To change them, or to try and conceal her is not only to detract from who she is, but also rather puritanical, don't you think? I could see the argument if her outfits were similar to DOA, and her jiggly bits were all.. jiggly.. but the focus (in my opinion) has always been not on making her a sex symbol (the general populace did that on its own) but on the adventures and missions she goes on. Her clothes have (while designed to attract the attention of the male audience and thus move product) not been designed to be overtly and unnecessarily risque. Though they definitely could have been.

I say: Keep her clothes the way they are.

KasigiYabuSama
17th Mar 2008, 23:40
I don't really know what you mean by "lust should be allowed," but yeah, like Matches says, I don't think it's a matter of anyone "allowing" anything, it's a part of life that's hardwired into each of us. A good part, I think - assuming reason is in charge.

If you're asking if I think CD should be actively pushing the lust envelope, well I'd say that I'll defer to their judgment and trust it - everything they've done with the character thus far has been positive, IMO. (A couple of the technical changes are another story...ach-achch-SAVEgameCAMeralock! Sneeze - sorry.:D )

But given that from Day One the Lara character was hardly a modest wallflower, I think "sexy" (or "lusty" or whatever) is more consistent with the character we all know & love than some late PC/PeerCaptive modification in the opposite direction.

I guess to boil down my verbiage to a nice nutshell, as long as the character remains consistent with the original concept, it's all good - but a significant, undeniable element of that concept is: sexy. I can't believe it even bothers some people this late in the game's history.

KasigiYabuSama
17th Mar 2008, 23:55
When has Lara Croft not been a sex symbol?...

Would Tomb Raider have been as successful if Lara was instead a man? Doubtful...

...but the focus (in my opinion) has always been not on making her a sex symbol (the general populace did that on its own) but on the adventures and missions she goes on.

Yeah, that's another point worth emphasizing: The combination of a.) a sexy woman who is also b.) an independent, unflinchingly self-confident, kick-butt heroine, is a potent mix that taps into much more than just "adolescent male lust" or the usual snide perjoratives some in the media toss out. Lara is a character that players are just jazzed to hang out with, and not only because she's sexy. She's a little like the female James Bond, or more obviously, Indy Jones. It is edifying - even inspiring - to contemplate a character who is endlessly resourceful, usually in control of every situation, and just a little bit superhuman.

Which is why TR has a female fan base that's just as fanatical, if not as numerous, as the male fan base. Lara is a heroine who is also sexy.

Fickji
18th Mar 2008, 22:00
Where did I hear or read this? I know one of the original developers wasn't too happy when they put her in a bikini. Even than they didn't want her to be slutty. There is a fine line between sex symbol and slutware(sounds like dishware:) ) and as long as they don't let you run around the tombs in a bikini I'm fine with the way she looks.

Imaginary Whisk
19th Mar 2008, 07:30
To everyone asking when she hasn't been a sex symbol... not everyone played the game for her at first for one. And watching her character change and evolve over the years, I don't think it's hard to see why some fans don't want her to be displayed as eye candy.

In my opinion it's easier to think of her as a friend who's personality grew out of a fad, but dresses the same way out of habit. xD

CatSuit&Ponytail
19th Mar 2008, 08:07
I like Lara being a sexy and strong woman who wears what she feels comfortable wearing whenever she chooses. A lot of women wear little clothes because they have the inner strength and great body to pull it off, and asking them to cover up would get you a laugh in the face. Lara is one of those women, even if she is only pixels. ;) Fashion be damned, fashion is for those mindless sheep who do not know what to wear unless everyone else is wearing it first. Baaaaaaaack off, I think she'd say. :rasp: :D

naraku
21st Mar 2008, 05:54
When has Lara Croft not been a sex symbol? I remember playing the first one in 1996 and she was a sex symbol then (only with Madonna-esque cone shaped bosom). Since then, she's just continued down that course. Almost every female gaming character is a sex symbol (within reason) or portrayed in an exposed manner. Why? Think of the audience most game production companies are catering to: Men. That's why. It's like placing a bikini clad beauty next to a gorgeous muscle car. It attracts the audience they're looking for.

Would Tomb Raider have been as successful if Lara was instead a man? Doubtful. In 1996, the audience for gaming was (and to a degree still is) widely populated by those of the Y chromosome (aka men).

Her outfits are part of what makes her an icon in the gaming industry. To change them, or to try and conceal her is not only to detract from who she is, but also rather puritanical, don't you think? I could see the argument if her outfits were similar to DOA, and her jiggly bits were all.. jiggly.. but the focus (in my opinion) has always been not on making her a sex symbol (the general populace did that on its own) but on the adventures and missions she goes on. Her clothes have (while designed to attract the attention of the male audience and thus move product) not been designed to be overtly and unnecessarily risque. Though they definitely could have been.

I say: Keep her clothes the way they are.
Toby Gard did think of having a male be the main character. Complete with hat and Whip, till someone said you're a decade to late. It's been done. :lol:
So now we have a lovely Lara Croft as our Tomb Raider. I guess if they didn't make her features uhm, Noticeable with the graphics back then we probably wouldn't have known it was a Female. Like Samus from Metroid. I really thought it was a man or at least a robot then, Dope! Its a chick. I was like:eek:

jordoz12
24th Mar 2008, 18:18

Well..If she gets in a tight situation she can distract someone...i guess..

lara's_bro
25th Mar 2008, 00:22
who cares, it is a game. get over it and play:rasp:

SmartCookie1035
1st Apr 2008, 23:32
A noble statement, but I doubt anything will change. I do agree, her evening dress and the biker outfit (especially with no jacket) took it a little over the top, but other than that, I don't think she dresses in a highly offensive manner, and coming from a girl. I'm hypersensitive to these things.

Anyway, I'd say that if a person- male, female, or anything in between- turns to a video game character as a source of sexual gratification, they're very... shallow.

Fickji
2nd Apr 2008, 00:11
Would this be an issue if they just kept her in her original TR1 clothes?

I can understand the dress because it worked in the Tokyo level with a fancy party type atmosphere. Having her run around in it? I don't know. She seems comfortable in it. BUT she took her bag she should have had an extra pair of clothes.

She is a strong independent woman who is comfortable with who she is and what she wears.

But the mid-driff is teenagerish and should really be replaced with something better. And more colorful. Like blue.

Can anyone think of any other female character running around in less. I think I can. Dead or Alive and Bloodrayne comes to mind.

Besides BIEGE SUIT, CAT SUIT, COMMANDO OUTFIT, are you realy saying you can't use outfit change and play with her covered up?

Imaginary Whisk
2nd Apr 2008, 00:30
I don't really care how she dresses on a Sexiness rated scale. I think the more annoying concern should be if she's dressing appropriately for her environment. I don't just mean weather wise either. Do you think she should be prancing around in short shorts and no sleeves, exposing herself to ticks & mosquitoes in the more humid climates? Bug repellent is can only be so effective if you're going to be swimming in swampy water soon after. Also there's the chance of sun burn with all that excessive exposer to the sun in those deserts. D:

just.tim
2nd Apr 2008, 09:35
lets just put her in a mumu or a burqa!

lara IS a sex symbol... for gamers all around the world, guys and girls! if you cover her up she wont be lara. The underworld outfit is the best yet and plus her curves might come in handy to distract a male opponent dont cover them up ... please

by the way im gay so this isnt some pervy reply to covering up lara

LaraLara
3rd Apr 2008, 00:19
She could be running around tombs naked for all I care. Heck, that would be even better. :lol:

Imaginary Whisk
8th Apr 2008, 04:47
Eww, her feet would be so messed up after running & climbing in tombs naked. xD

And I don't mean as in dirty, I mean as in cut, bruised, battered, and maybe infected. D:

Laionidas
9th Apr 2008, 15:23
Uhmm it already has been e.i Tomb Raider the Cradle of Life. Lara and Terry on that Chinese ship sexing it up. Anyone here ever seen those gymnastic competitions, or jogging or been to the Gym? Well skimpy clothes are everywhere. Places like the Grand Canyon. Its not mandatory its a matter of choice and a reflection of said persons. In comparison Lara in Legend and Anniversary is covered up. From the screen shots of TRU the shorts she wears don't appear to be as short as TRA or TRL. I'll bet those Gymnast are wishing they could wear shorts.

ROFL, you can't be serious!

How can you compare hiking, climbing and combat in humid environments at high altitude with exercise at the gym? Obviously you have never walked any further than the local grocery store. Just take those shorts Lara wears; if it's not for the risk of hypothermia or the bashing against a rock with your knees not protected at all, then surely at least those thigh-straps of her holsters would start irritating like hell after 5 minutes.

But on topic; I think Lara looked a lot more decent in Legend than in any of the previous titles. If it was more revealing, then it was only because of the development of better graphical technology.

Bampire
10th Apr 2008, 03:43
I don't mind her stomach showing, because her stomach is uber sexy.. But her breasts being exposed to the point where it looks like they're going to fly out, when jumping onto a ledge, or just jumping in general just ruins it. I'd like to see a little more covered up, over her bazookas. xD Something like her costumes in TR3.

Bampire
10th Apr 2008, 03:48
Would this be an issue if they just kept her in her original TR1 clothes?

I can understand the dress because it worked in the Tokyo level with a fancy party type atmosphere. Having her run around in it? I don't know. She seems comfortable in it. BUT she took her bag she should have had an extra pair of clothes.

She is a strong independent woman who is comfortable with who she is and what she wears.

But the mid-driff is teenagerish and should really be replaced with something better. And more colorful. Like blue.

Can anyone think of any other female character running around in less. I think I can. Dead or Alive and Bloodrayne comes to mind.

Besides BIEGE SUIT, CAT SUIT, COMMANDO OUTFIT, are you realy saying you can't use outfit change and play with her covered up?

I would say Jen' from Primal, but she covers up more skin. Yet her back is fully exposed.

BigEd
11th Apr 2008, 23:56
Lara looks just fine the way she is...to me, anyway.

quick-cookie
12th Apr 2008, 19:11
Lara is as she always has been kinda, but some of laras clothes look kinda small irl her mammery glands would pop out here and there when she is running and jumping around.
But then again it might b a tactical move to throw her male opponents offguard, heck i'd b surprised if a woman with guns blazing ran at me and all of a sudden her... pops out.. well atleast i would die happy.

But yeah some of her outfits seem kinda small and tight...whats next???
Master cheif in a thong?

Btw was there not a nude TR mod?? i mean u cant complain bout any clothes there. ****

ElevenTR
13th Apr 2008, 14:20
I just think she must be FREEZING in rainy weather like that! Yeah, she ought to wear tight fitting clothes but i thought the game was supposed to be realistic? She should take a hint from what the mercenaries wear.

NightRain'06
13th Apr 2008, 17:42
Speaking of freezing.

In Anniversary, before entering the mountain cave, she was in her classic tanktop and shorts. Granted, she was going inside eventually and it'll be hot in there once running around but when she was outside I was thinking "Why is she dressed like this ? Either the guide must be dressed the same way and suffer like her or she has to dress the same as him and be cozy. Why isn't she ?" LOL..
They should've had her wear a winter coat and pants and when she's inside, we could have had her put the outerwear away in the abyss of a tiny tote backpack. :p

ETA:

As for Underworld Lara (pictured in my banner), just provide her with a Kevlar body vest for better protection.

But then again, maybe it's not better unless the vest could be flexible "made" material which can allow her to move freely as if she never wore one. :scratch:

Jason Miller
3rd May 2008, 14:59
Lara is a sexy woman and there is nothing wrong with showing some things or as u said revealing stuff and yes she is a tomb girl but who would go to a tomb wearing a baggy jeans with cotton sweater !

I totally agree, mate! Even though Lara's clothes are tight, that doesn't mean she's a SEX icon**** ! I'm not saying she's ugly or anything**** , it's just that people see her like that & that's pretty much annoying! :mad2:

pinkangel07
5th May 2008, 02:47
Graphics do make a difference though. Things look much more suggestive in PS2/next gen graphics.

Personally, I hate it when Lara is sex-kittened up. That is just so not in her personality. The Japan dress was a travesty that belonged in DOA not in Tomb Raider. ****

However, it is a game, so I understand allowances must be made. I'll take the tight shorts and shirt, just lose the exposed midriff. That's just unprofessional, plus it's out of fashion now anyway (although it's taking some time for mall rats to get the message.;) )

Yeah, as a female I don't like how Lara is wearing uber skimpy clothes. What's weird is that in the game, she is a very well-rounded female, so you'd think that she cover up a little more, especially when running around outside in the rain or inside jumping around tombs.

I'm not going to go on strike or anything, but I think CD should cater a little more to female gamers.

ziad
6th May 2008, 17:26
why should we cover lara up? i mean i see where ure coming from with the whole sex symbol thing but lara is a figure of dominance. covering her up to stop weird children who like to perv on CGI isnt going to solve any issue. IMO lara should wear what she wants as she is a strong, amplified exagguration of the 'superwoman'. so no, i dont think lara should 'cover up', its as if she done something wrong. which brings me onto another point.... SHE'S NOT REAL, i mean the only reason one should 'cover up' is if they were causing any offence (i say this even though i'm sure running around ancient tombs, destroying them, stealing artifacts and killing people would cause much more offence then lara's dress sense). and having a computer generated woman cant do much harm, especially if that woman is the main character, we're controlling her, and she's kicking arse, again if she's dominant then in no way would she be degraded by wearing any less. i'm sure GTA have done worse (if we're talking about the potrayel of women in games).

perhaps we shouldnt focus on the media fueled sex symbol status that was created and have more admiration for what she stands for.

Anarae
8th May 2008, 08:09
I don't have a problem with Lara's revealing outfits. If you think about it from a Feminist point of view: Lara has the right to dress sexy. Yes, some men look at her with cheap sexual appreciation -- but not everyone is objectifying Lara. The revealing outfits are a bit like saying: "I am a woman, I have assets, and I shouldn't be considered a harlot for being proud of what I've got". Lara, to me, isn't a sex symbol so much as an icon for the power of being a woman, and being able to do everything men can do.

LisaB1962
8th May 2008, 12:29
The revealing outfits are a bit like saying: "I am a woman, I have assets, and I shouldn't be considered a harlot for being proud of what I've got, even though I look utterly ridiculous traipsing about a jungle in a thong as if I had no idea what sort of environment this was. Oh look! A butterfly! "

There. I finished the thought for you.

I object to costumes that have no basis in how a real woman fighter/explorer/heroine would dress. I can promise you that if these women were real and dressing themselves, they would definitely go for something genuinely functional, something that won't ride up, or slip down or break if the wind blows too hard. It's not that women should never be "proud of what they've got," but circumstances matter otherwise we'd all wear high heels all day long because, gosh--don't they make out legs look great?! But we don't wear high heels all the time because we know that high heels aren't appropriate for every situation.

As any educated, enlightened, person will tell you, sex appeal has far more to do with the individual's character and personality than how much skin is exposed. Lara is sexy regardless of attire because she is smart, strong, and presents a challenge.

It's not that Lara shouldn't be sexy; it's that it's that she shouldn't be dressed for sex, and you can be one without being the other.

pinkangel07
10th May 2008, 03:26
lol at LisaB.

I liked how you finished that quote. :)

Anarae
10th May 2008, 06:47
There. I finished the thought for you.

I object to costumes that have no basis in how a real woman fighter/explorer/heroine would dress. I can promise you that if these women were real and dressing themselves, they would definitely go for something genuinely functional, something that won't ride up, or slip down or break if the wind blows too hard. It's not that women should never be "proud of what they've got," but circumstances matter otherwise we'd all wear high heels all day long because, gosh--don't they make out legs look great?! But we don't wear high heels all the time because we know that high heels aren't appropriate for every situation.

As any educated, enlightened, person will tell you, sex appeal has far more to do with the individual's character and personality than how much skin is exposed. Lara is sexy regardless of attire because she is smart, strong, and presents a challenge.

It's not that Lara shouldn't be sexy; it's that it's that she shouldn't be dressed for sex, and you can be one without being the other.

I agree with you. I suppose I didn't word it the way I meant. Lara's outfits (especially the classic) are there for function. Realistically, the less weighing her down, the easier it is for her to navigate/jump/flip/etc. Pistols aren't light and I'm sure all the gear she's wearing isn't a picnic to pack around all day. Also, wearing jeans would increase the likelihood of being caught on objects/ripping etc. And it's also weather appropriate most of the time since there are some tropical/jungle temperatures and sometimes fire.

The only outfit that wasn't really functional in Legend was the dress. It revealed a lot and there wasn't a functional reason behind it -- but I have no objection to it because Lara has always dressed this way. She's been criticized for it, but for me, it was about showing the players that she isn't always the tough badass. Sometimes she dresses up (even if it's revealing) and just has fun being herself and being comfortable with her body.

I liked that she kicked ass in the black dress in Legend, because it was really nice to see someone be really feminine and confident while saving the world. I see a lot of women heroines who are scared or unsure of themselves, but Lara just puts on her dress and gets the job done.

NightRain'06
10th May 2008, 06:49
Let's just pray for no wardrobe malfunction......

Rai
10th May 2008, 10:04
Lara's clothes are functional. Apart from the Legend dress, which she tore herself, her clothes have always stayed completely intact haven't they. They have never torn or snagged or been damaged despite all the climbing, swimming and tumbling and narrowly missing traps she does. Except the jacket she's wearing on the train that catches fire and she takes it off (Legend). Her clothes must be really good quality and much stronger than they look. :D

Her tops are on the skimpy side and I swear she doesn't wear a bra, (the hussy!) just take a gander when she's wet or cold, you'll know what I mean. :lol:

But it's Lara, I'm kinda used to it.

LisaB1962
10th May 2008, 12:39
Lara's clothes only "stay there" because designers make them stay. There is no way on this green earth that Japan dress would have stayed put doing anything other standing still. There's not enough fashion tape in the world to make it "stick" while jumping and flipping. Sorry. Gravity wins every time.

So it's a stupid choice. It makes Lara look stupid, as if turning on the mercenaries were more important than getting the artifact. Or perhaps she doesn't understand the basic concepts of gravity despite having been plunged to her death a billion collective times. :lol:

Greenas
10th May 2008, 16:27
I absolutely and totally agree with you :D Besides lara is lara and she can wear what she wants to wear . I've said it before and I'll say it again :

AS LONG AS HER PERSONALITY REMAINS THE SAME

NightRain'06
10th May 2008, 22:16
Lara's clothes are functional. Apart from the Legend dress, which she tore herself, her clothes have always stayed completely intact haven't they. They have never torn or snagged or been damaged despite all the climbing, swimming and tumbling and narrowly missing traps she does. Except the jacket she's wearing on the train that catches fire and she takes it off (Legend). Her clothes must be really good quality and much stronger than they look. :D

Her tops are on the skimpy side and I swear she doesn't wear a bra, (the hussy!) just take a gander when she's wet or cold, you'll know what I mean. :lol:

But it's Lara, I'm kinda used to it.

Must have been a MIRACLE for the Japan dress (clearly inspired by Jennifer Lopez's plunging V-Stomach green dress) in Legend to stay the way it abnormally did. Unless it was burned into Lara's skin. That has to be it.

I was surprised about the wet/dry clothes effect added in Anniversary.

IF there were clothes damage effect, that could be better in addition to her getting dusty when you tumble her around utilizing gymnastics. Then of course, she should have the ability to stitch up the damage with needle and thread copying Solid Snake patching up his wounds in MGS3: Snake Eater. ;)
Okay, I guess no one else could see her sitting on the ground, beginning to stitch.... Hehehehe..... Or just simply carry around a Port-A-Closet and change clothes for the same. I mean, she could manage to inside that mysterious abyss of a small tote backpack. I also know she has a kitchen sink. :D

Speaking of the wet/dry shirt effect in Anniversary, I was surprised (in a good way) that they added that little detail. I HOPE that didn't sound awkward.

pinkangel07
15th May 2008, 01:21
Speaking of the wet/dry shirt effect in Anniversary, I was surprised (in a good way) that they added that little detail. I HOPE that didn't sound awkward.

I never realized that... then again, not like I'm going to break out the game and look right now either. :) lol

Well, as a female, I'm just over the whole skimpy clothes thing. It appeals to the male gamers and lets face it; more males play TR so it only makes sense to play to that crowd.

I would be happy and would have a lot of respect for Crystal Dynamics if they covered up Lara more... I don't think they would lose any fans just because Lara looks more environmentally suited... but whatever, it doesn't bug me that much.

NightRain'06
15th May 2008, 02:06
I suppose it did sound strange. To clarify, what I meant was I'm surprised they added that small detail for, I guess, realism.

Even in Uncharted, Drake's shirt has that effect (inspired by TRA ?) as well.

In any case, yes, I do want a better cover up.
Such as some Flexible body Kevlar vest ? Maybe not exactly like the mercenaries, you know. Somehow more dense or something.

naraku
13th Aug 2008, 07:43
ROFL, you can't be serious!

How can you compare hiking, climbing and combat in humid environments at high altitude with exercise at the gym? Obviously you have never walked any further than the local grocery store. Just take those shorts Lara wears; if it's not for the risk of hypothermia or the bashing against a rock with your knees not protected at all, then surely at least those thigh-straps of her holsters would start irritating like hell after 5 minutes.

But on topic; I think Lara looked a lot more decent in Legend than in any of the previous titles. If it was more revealing, then it was only because of the development of better graphical technology.
Sorry I didn't catch this months ago. Where to start. That was a low blow with the grocery bit. For the record I'm a guy. I have been to Bolivia, have pueked in one of its Capitals La Paz from altitude sickness. Climbed nearly vertically to the top all the way to the Cristo de la Concordia look it up. In fact herehttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Cochabamba4.jpg
I jog in Griffith Park in Cali where I meet several Olympic champs. Who give me tips on small things like the right jogging shoes. I started doing 3 miles with my friends around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Then 5 from my house then to Griffith Park. Now do 10 miles. The women do look and wear outfits like Lara Croft At least here they do.

josh1122
13th Aug 2008, 08:03
I personally have no problem with what she wears.

What do you guys want her to swear sweaters and baggy pants EVERYWHERE she goes? come on get real. lol.

With the stuff she does shes going to need as much flexibility as possible, so she'll wear whatever is necessary.

Now if she starts running around in a thong and bra in the middle of a blizzard, then ill start getting worried. Till then I'm fine with what she wears as long as they don't dirty her personality up and keep her the same lara we've known for years

josh1122
13th Aug 2008, 11:00
maybe lara could take inspiration from this dress, the commentry said it was the size of an elastic band, hehehe, she could have thousands and just keep changing them whenever they get dirty, that would distract the mercenaries. i am a feminist and dont see this as slutty ho for show, but more if youve got it flaunt it, shes a whole lotta woman.

link to cool dress

http://www.sandra.com/images/sandra_bullock_miss_congeniality_01.jpg

sandra bullock is hot. wait thats off topic.

Like it has been stated before. This is a video game and I know like most others we take Lara as being someone real, someone that women can look up to and admire. Which in the past she's always been admired by most people because of her elegance,determination,intelligence etc etc and the list goes on and on.

Lara has always had the knock out babe body from day 1. Only now that graphics are getting better and better, it begins to show tenfolds than it did years ago back in 96. I honestly think no matter what she would wear,someone out there WILL get offended because theres never a way to please everyone and lets face it, no matter what she wears, her curves are still going to be shown off. So theres no pleasing everyone.

In my opinion, as long as she stays the same Intelligent and determined Lara that we've grown to love in the past. Then that in itself saves her image that i know some people are worried about

CatSuit&Ponytail
13th Aug 2008, 12:30
Sorry I didn't catch this months ago. Where to start. That was a low blow with the grocery bit. For the record I'm a guy. I have been to Bolivia, have pueked in one of its Capitals La Paz from altitude sickness. Climbed nearly vertically to the top all the way to the Cristo de la Concordia look it up. In fact herehttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Cochabamba4.jpg
I jog in Griffith Park in Cali where I meet several Olympic champs. Who give me tips on small things like the right jogging shoes. I started doing 3 miles with my friends around the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Then 5 from my house then to Griffith Park. Now do 10 miles. The women do look and wear outfits like Lara Croft At least here they do.

That's impressive. :)

I always wonder why folks insist Lara doesn't have enough clothes on. For I know that people wear less clothing the hotter and more humid it is, and I ALSO know that lots of people wear shorts and t-shirts and sandals in winter and even in the snowy weather...It is a bare fact: Some people's thermostats are just set higher than normal. :D

Oh, and Sandra Bullock is indeed hot. :lol:

LisaB1962
13th Aug 2008, 12:37
There's a difference between being curvaceous and dressing provocatively.

Lara has always been curvaceous. Only recently has she dressed provocatively, and in ways that are not suitable to the task at hand. It is because the graphics have improved that I think more care should be shown in how Lara dresses.

CatSuit&Ponytail
13th Aug 2008, 13:45
LOL LisaB, you and I continue to be the bookends of this concept. :D I see no reason NOT to dress provocatively, whether I have a "reason" to or not. :D I dress sexy because I like to, so that is reason enough. I imagine if Lara was real, that would also be her reason, besides the fact the shorts and sports top are comfy to her while she jumps around. This is how she is written, this is what she is. :D She loves beans on toast, nobody cares that that is her written personality, it just is what has been carved in sandstone. :)

I love to see beautiful sexy women and men. I love eye candy. I also love strong characters and deep stories and good gameplay (in videogames, in real life gameplay is for chimps :lol: ) and thankfully with Tomb Raider I get all that and more. :)

Lara is strong regardless of how she is objectified, maybe more because of it, she blows it off, as should we who think she's boss. :)

I find it endlessly funny how you and I see exactly the same thing out of opposite eyes. :) :thumbsup:

eatlimegreen
13th Aug 2008, 14:31
I like Lara being a sexy and strong woman who wears what she feels comfortable wearing whenever she chooses. A lot of women wear little clothes because they have the inner strength and great body to pull it off, and asking them to cover up would get you a laugh in the face. Lara is one of those women, even if she is only pixels. ;) Fashion be damned, fashion is for those mindless sheep who do not know what to wear unless everyone else is wearing it first. Baaaaaaaack off, I think she'd say. :rasp: :D

that was really good

josh1122
13th Aug 2008, 19:25
LOL LisaB, you and I continue to be the bookends of this concept. :D I see no reason NOT to dress provocatively, whether I have a "reason" to or not. :D I dress sexy because I like to, so that is reason enough. I imagine if Lara was real, that would also be her reason, besides the fact the shorts and sports top are comfy to her while she jumps around. This is how she is written, this is what she is. :D She loves beans on toast, nobody cares that that is her written personality, it just is what has been carved in sandstone. :)

I love to see beautiful sexy women and men. I love eye candy. I also love strong characters and deep stories and good gameplay (in videogames, in real life gameplay is for chimps :lol: ) and thankfully with Tomb Raider I get all that and more. :)

Lara is strong regardless of how she is objectified, maybe more because of it, she blows it off, as should we who think she's boss. :)

I find it endlessly funny how you and I see exactly the same thing out of opposite eyes. :) :thumbsup:

Amen cat :D

LisaB1962
13th Aug 2008, 20:07
I agree we disagree. I see Lara as single-minded and not concerned about things like beauty or fashion, much less dress in a way that could create a liability when the game is on the line. As someone who has spent a lot of time dancing, there are definite things you learn to avoid wearing because, although they look nice, they don't cooperate when things get busy. When I see Lara wear things that I know won't cooperate, she's just another Video Game Babe trotted out to please the masses.

annebelle86
13th Aug 2008, 20:21
i agree with catsuit&ponytail and eatlimegreen... i really like lara sexy, being woman myself or not...(and no, i'm not gay) i think it's her trademark, same as her dual pistols, backpack etc.

however, i don't like when she's being used in sex-related marketing, but that's the same with every game/movie etc. character

kidtendo
13th Aug 2008, 20:42

I agree! I like the Anniversary Lara more than the Legend one cuz she [Mod edit]Watch your tone and language please[/Mod edit] I think they shouldn't show off all of that in Underworld.. I hope they don't do that with her other outfits:( It's no wonder why lots of sick perverts talk about Lara with such disrespect****

Kami
13th Aug 2008, 20:46
I dont think that would ever happen! :p but then again - I have no problem with this! Lara has always been sexy and isnt afraid to use that in her advantage. Its a part of her character

josh1122
13th Aug 2008, 21:01
yeah wether anyone likes it or not. Lara has and always will be crucified by her body. There's no way around it. She's always had the sleek slender busty body and always will and it will show alot more every game with the continuing growth of graphics.

As stated before, if she starts showing up in thongs and a bra in a blizzard or snow storm, then that is the time to worry,until then I think Lara is fine the way she is. If people think Lara ''shows too much'' then I seriously don't think you've payed any attention to gaming what-so-ever. Lara compared to 99.9% of other women in games is a saint when it comes to what she wears.

Claymore
13th Aug 2008, 21:23
yeah wether anyone likes it or not. Lara has and always will be crucified by her body. There's no way around it. She's always had the sleek slender busty body and always will and it will show alot more every game with the continuing growth of graphics.

As stated before, if she starts showing up in thongs and a bra in a blizzard or snow storm, then that is the time to worry,until then I think Lara is fine the way she is. If people think Lara ''shows too much'' then I seriously don't think you've payed any attention to gaming what-so-ever. Lara compared to 99.9% of other women in games is a saint when it comes to what she wears.Agreed so why do people always bring this up When there's a new game?

TombLover
14th Aug 2008, 08:37
Agreed so why do people always bring this up When there's a new game?

I don't know. It should be all about what the game is about and how good it is...not how she looks, of there are limits but i dont think theres anything to worry about at the moment... anyway, we're mostly going to see the back of her as we're controlling her, so yeah, no worrys from me.