PDA

View Full Version : Spikes?

Tomb-Dude
26th Feb 2008, 16:55
Ok... Just a random question. But has there been anything about our most friendly spike pits?

If not i really want them back, there wan't enough in Legend and when there was, they weren't that good. (flashback and Ghana)
I didn't really like the fact that when you touched the spike in anniversary she went flying and didn't get impaled. I thought it was quite unrealistic and i would prefer her to get impaled.
But the only good thing about get hit away by the spikes was that me and my sister laugh about it?

But do you want them back? And would you rather get impaled or get blown away by them?

William Croft
26th Feb 2008, 17:16
Hhahahaha, you have a point there, you touch them and you went flying :lol: While surfing youtube I found thing a animation of lara getting stabbed by spikes, very realistic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_qb8Pgvkc&feature=related

As for you question, Impailing pleaase :D

Off topic heres an underwater turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPCTvYF2x8&feature=related

Heres a Faster climb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLgByCRU4M&feature=related

Lol theres one more :D Lara walking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2OtvDXp-mQ&feature=related

There you go, I think theres some very decent and brilliant animations there have a look. A bit off topic I would think lol.

Treeble
26th Feb 2008, 17:49
I didn't really like the fact that when you touched the spike in anniversary she went flying and didn't get impaled. I thought it was quite unrealistic and i would prefer her to get impaled.

They actually explain why they can't have Lara being impaled anymore in the director's commentaries. The ESRB wouldn't let them get away with it these days. I think that's the main reason they'd rather have as less spike pits as possible.

Headache
26th Feb 2008, 18:06
The ESRB wouldn't let them get away with it these days.
Huh... And having sexual images is alright... There are things far worse than watching someone getting impaled in video games these days :rolleyes:

Tomb-Dude
26th Feb 2008, 18:08
They actually explain why they can't have Lara being impaled anymore in the director's commentaries. The ESRB wouldn't let them get away with it these days. I think that's the main reason they'd rather have as less spike pits as possible.

I never knew that... But that's quite a shame?
Why wont the ESRB let them do it? To gory perhaps now?

TDK
26th Feb 2008, 19:22
lol Headache :lol: :lol: :lol: ur right really

LegendLost
26th Feb 2008, 19:29
Lara used to squirt blood when she got impaled, maybe if they just had her impaled and not have the blood they could get away with it. I'm sure they prob can't otherwise they would have done it in Anniversary. but oh well.

Tomb-Dude
26th Feb 2008, 19:58
She got imapled in Legend in Ghana and the flashback? It's just a shame that they can't do that anymore.

LisaB1962
26th Feb 2008, 21:06
I can't say that I need the gore involved in Lara getting impaled in next gen graphics, but I too didn't like the "flying off" and bouncing around Lara did in Anniversary. I suppose it's lose/lose for the developers. :D

Those animations were very good. I really liked climbing onto the box and the underwater turn.

rabid metro
27th Feb 2008, 04:51
Ok... Just a random question. But has there been anything about our most friendly spike pits?...

CD gives every impression of wanting to move forward creatively.
there are ways to have spike pits without them being ... gory spike pits.

okay, next random topic:

darts? poisonous or simply stunning ...

Feb. 27 ... i can't wait ...
:cool:

Bampire
27th Feb 2008, 06:29
I don't want to see Anti-gravity spikes anymore, even though they're a source of Lara death entertainment!

I want the realism back in Tomb Raider Spike-pit deaths. It makes things much more.. How do you say... Trilling..

Mangar The Dark
27th Feb 2008, 14:00
Huh... And having sexual images is alright... There are things far worse than watching someone getting impaled in video games these days :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm not against showing impalement, but your logic is odd.
You're implying that showing something sexual is worse than showing someone dying a nasty death? Wow. So an attractive body, or two people enjoying each others' bodies, is somehow more offensive to you than seeing someone being brutally killed?

ditom
27th Feb 2008, 15:08
You're implying that showing something sexual is worse than showing someone dying a nasty death? Wow. So an attractive body, or two people enjoying each others' bodies, is somehow more offensive to you than seeing someone being brutally killed?

Yes (it's my strange opinion).

27th Feb 2008, 15:12
men you're crazy vato........... some logic you have

Jezyk
27th Feb 2008, 16:16
Either have realistic spikes, or none... these anti-gravity ones are annoying:/

William Croft
27th Feb 2008, 16:36
Either have realistic spikes, or none... these anti-gravity ones are annoying:/

I don't agree with you on that one. Sure having realism if good but thats an extra.I really couldn't care if she was blown away by spikes or implailed but one thing I do care about is spikes. I want them, they make that jump even more scary. They add massively to the game and I suggest they add them. Sure i would like Lara to be impailed by them but I don't care about that half as much as I do about the return of spikes. :D Lets see if anyone agrees with me.

Jezyk
27th Feb 2008, 16:45
Well than at least let them be spike pits. Spikes like in Midas look good, but the way they work is just... strange.

Tomb-Dude
27th Feb 2008, 16:52
I want them in and i don't mind if she blows away to be perfectly honest as i mainly laugh about how many possible ways she can die on those spikes.
On the other hand i would like her to get impaled as it will add to the realism and make it more... thrilling as some said said?

But what ever CD/Eidos decide to do i wont mind.

Headache
27th Feb 2008, 23:20
In general: To some people it might be offensive... Several also still believe sexually related things are something meant to be private. 'Tis not a personal opinion on my part at all. Nor did I say that it was worse than gore.
It's just that sexual themes have become drafted into the gaming world more frequently now. And anything with sexual themes (movies, TV shows, games etc.) were usually rated M or R. Now it's PG-13 or T anymore. Sex is to be handled by someone who's mature... Hypothetically speaking. And the age group to whom TR caters to (a majority) is young people. So my point being, something that used to be reserved has now become nonchalant.

Imaginary Whisk
28th Feb 2008, 08:04
They could just pump up the rating to M and inject blood back into the series. xD

They got away with similar stuff in AoD, I don't see why they feel the need to remove gore in the new ones. Besides, one of the things I've felt was funniest about these were the creative ways they came up with to kill her.

I think they should bring back the spike pits & let us impale her to our hearts content. :D

Mangar The Dark
28th Feb 2008, 16:44
In general: To some people it might be offensive... Several also still believe sexually related things are something meant to be private. 'Tis not a personal opinion on my part at all. Nor did I say that it was worse than gore.
It's just that sexual themes have become drafted into the gaming world more frequently now. And anything with sexual themes (movies, TV shows, games etc.) were usually rated M or R. Now it's PG-13 or T anymore. Sex is to be handled by someone who's mature... Hypothetically speaking. And the age group to whom TR caters to (a majority) is young people. So my point being, something that used to be reserved has now become nonchalant.

I get what you're saying. I guess I just find it odd that, in general, society is more bothered by sex than about violence. These days, you can watch movies on TV with people being beheaded, tormented, etc, but showing a woman's nipple is strictly off limits (at least here in the US.) Men's nipples, oddly enough, are fine. But somehow women's nipples are forbidden. Logic? Nope, don't see any.

But I'm getting off topic, here.

As for the spikes, yeah, it would be cool to have them back. The more variety of traps, the better.