PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Ascension clip

hangnailproductions
25th Feb 2008, 18:20
Hi Guys

I have just put a short clip from Tomb Raider Ascension online not as great quality as the big screen but just want to give you a taster of what's to come. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2FJyMdEgs

Myself and Anna also did a radio interview with two really cool guys who run a fan film website over in the States, Chris and Will http://www.fanfilmpodcast.com/ have a listen to the podcast

Over the next week or so the website www.tombraiderascension.com will be updated with some behind the scenes clips.
We've also just confirmed a screening in New York here http://www.bigapplecon.com/

Hope you all happy keep raiding!!!

Steve Reynolds

Randy 54
25th Feb 2008, 22:53
Thanks for the entertaining clip.................................

pot
25th Feb 2008, 23:22
OMG it looks even worse than the first two. :eek:

Treeble
25th Feb 2008, 23:32

I love informed people. :rolleyes:

Rai
25th Feb 2008, 23:54
I love informed people. :rolleyes:

Misinformed or no, he doesn't have to like it does he.

;)

Treeble
26th Feb 2008, 08:30
Like it or not, he doesn't have to bash it, does he? I mean, it's not like he's paying for it...

;)

hangnailproductions
26th Feb 2008, 08:39
Calm people

I wouldn't expect anyone to think this was on the scale of the first two, they had 60 million pounds+ and we had a mere 15k. So understand the comment that it doesn't have the production values of the first hollywood blockbusters, this is a fan film made purely for fun and fans for entertainment and non profit gain
Will be uploading more clips soon hopefully. many thanks Treeble glad you like the clip.

Steve

CatSuit&Ponytail
26th Feb 2008, 12:28
:) Fan art is always welcomed here when it is made with love and respect for the material.

pot
26th Feb 2008, 13:12
Like it or not, he doesn't have to bash it, does he? I mean, it's not like he's paying for it...

;)

For an artist to have any kind of integrity, he/she must be willing to take positive AND negative criticism.

So there is no point in bashing me because of my opinion, I am entitled to it.

I don't anticipate the film critics will be any kinder either, but who knows, I may be wrong.

TDK
26th Feb 2008, 14:00
hey thanks 4 the vid im lokking to watching the film :D

-Roli-
26th Feb 2008, 15:08
I liked that clip, I looking forward to the full film :) And other fan films;)

A very enjoyed the Tears Of The Dragon too.

rabid metro
27th Feb 2008, 04:44
For an artist to have any kind of integrity, he/she must be willing to take positive AND negative criticism...

just because you have a proclivity for dishing out negative criticism does not mean that anyone has to take it, less they lack integrity.
it simply indicates imbalance and a typical unwillingness, on your part, to be nice.
:cool:

regarding TR Ascension, who among us can do better?
kudos to hangnailproductions!

Raid On!

Bampire
27th Feb 2008, 06:22
Eh.. Yeah.. Thanks.. For showing us..

james987654321
27th Feb 2008, 06:26

I think that would be inevitable considering the budgets of the first 2... I loved the clip and thought it looked really good and professional, directing was awsum. I would love to watch the whole movie aswell!!! Good job!

pot
27th Feb 2008, 10:15
just because you have a proclivity for dishing out negative criticism does not mean that anyone has to take it, less they lack integrity.
it simply indicates imbalance and a typical unwillingness, on your part, to be nice.

There is a difference between being critical of someone's work, and being downright rude to them. YOU have shown plenty of aptitude for the latter!

I simply expressed my opinion of a film coming out, big deal. You seem to enjoy taking every opportunity to reply to my posts by putting me down.

Care to explain why that is, or should I just assume it is because you have an inflated ego?

MercuryRapids
27th Feb 2008, 10:35
Excellent work. The stunt fighting was terrific. It was well-shot and edited. The music and sound was of great quality. The acting was good.

And it had a helicopter (a good chunk of the budget must have gone on that!!) :)

Can't wait to see the complete film.

Rai
27th Feb 2008, 10:50

regarding TR Ascension, who among us can do better?
kudos to hangnailproductions!

Raid On!

Are you saying that if Pot doesn't like it, he should keep quiet - or say something nice about the film even if he doesn't want to? How is that fair? Pot didn't like the clip, he expressed his view. Yes, maybe it was a bit blunt, but that is his style and prerogative. His next comment, that you quoted, was really quite civil and constructive. That is fair. You shouldn't be arguing with the guy, just because of a different opinion to you.

From what I have seen of this film, the trailer and the clip here, it hasn't sparked enough interest for me to want to watch the whole film. I thought the acting was wooden and the actress who plays Lara is all wrong for the role. And what is that with Lara taking tuition? Yes, it makes sense that she trains herself up for her missions, But this clip makes her seem like a complete novice! :eek:

Should I praise the film makers for their efforts? Probably as obviously they are, what? Film students? Amateurs? I dunno. I know I don't have the first clue about making a film and these guys obviously do, but that doesn't mean I have to like this fan made film.

GoranAgar
27th Feb 2008, 12:29
No one is saying that you can not express your dislike about things. But saying "OMG it looks even worse than the first two." into someones face is rude. And I do not like rudeness.

People mistake the Internet for an enviroment where you can behave any way you like. At least in our forum, you can not!

pot
27th Feb 2008, 12:45
TBH I feel I might have been slightly harsh with my initial reaction, for a low budget effort it might not be that bad, quite often this can lend itself to a film genre which normally relies on lashings of expensive FX.

The two actors in the jungle look more like two crusty eco-warriors than the previous films, which I kind of like, even though it pains my cantankerous old bones to say so.

I wish that they would drop the whole weapons things from Lara altogether, and ideally from a Tomb Raider film I would like something more along the lines of an Indiana Jones, or Romancing the Stone type jungle adventure.

I'm sure some writers somewhere could come up with something good there.

I'd like to see Lara travelling back in time and becoming a pagan warrior princess, or living with a Red Indian tribe and exploring the shaman world through ritual participation. I'm tired of this fascination the world seems to have with girls and guns, it is not healthy, and I certainly don't find it appealing. I just like Lara because she is Lara.

They really could be a lot more creative with the concept if they tried.

MercuryRapids
27th Feb 2008, 12:51
Rai004 said:

And what is that with Lara taking tuition? Yes, it makes sense that she trains herself up for her missions, But this clip makes her seem like a complete novice!

If you go to the official site mentioned in the first post, there's a trailer for the film. It seems that this is supposed to be Lara's first adventure. So the training scenes are appropriate.;)

Randy 54
27th Feb 2008, 13:30
Being an amateur film maker myself back in the day, I can really appreciate the effort that went into this project. Producing a low budget film and having it come out with the quality of a big budget production is a feat in itself let alone bringing together the people and resources to do something just for the fun of it. My hat's off to Hangnail Productions for a job well done and I wish you all the success that is rightfully yours.

William Croft
27th Feb 2008, 16:09
No one is saying that you can not express your dislike about things. But saying "OMG it looks even worse than the first two." into someones face is rude. And I do not like rudeness.

People mistake the Internet for an enviroment where you can behave any way you like. At least in our forum, you can not!

Exactly my thoughts.

@ hangnail productions
I loved the clip I just watched (Youtube one, 'Tomb Raider Ascension Clip') If i'm right with the fact that you made the film with 15k in 6 days then you guys are absolutly amazing. Loved the fighting scene. Looked amazing and I also loved Laras attitude. It was a great project and you've made an excellent film. Well done and I hope for all the best in the future for you. Once again, well done on an excellent contribution to Lara. :thumbsup: Keep it up.

hangnailproductions
27th Feb 2008, 18:20
Thank you so much for the positive response.

so much passion and energy on this board it's great!!

Yes Lara is very much a Novice in this story we are telling. We are exploring the entire back story of Lara Croft, why she does what she does why she uses two gun and later on in the film why she should use a gun at all. I very much agree with pots in some respects with regard to the whole gun thing but as with the games (which we are trying to be true to) Lara at some point will inevitably be firing not one but two guns and as i mentioned later in the film we explore this. Lara's young and learning about the world and more importantly her world and the people she is going to come into contact in that world, we will see the extremities she must go to to deal with certain situations and people.
Yes 15k and six days with a day for pickups so exactly 7 days in the end. it was a great shoot. hoping to get some behind the scenes stuff up soon for you guys. its just lots of clips of me shouting at people (not really i'm lovely)

Keep raiding

Steve
www.reynoldsfilms.com

William Croft
27th Feb 2008, 19:13
. its just lots of clips of me shouting at people (not really i'm lovely)

Keep raiding

Steve
www.reynoldsfilms.com

Woot woot, I saw the vid with you and Anna (I think sorry if I got it wrong) talking about the fact it was purely just for fun.:thumbsup: I think you guys are major stars in the Tomb Raiding world. As I said keep it up and looking foward to the behind the scene clips. And btw your funny :lol:
Take care.

pot
27th Feb 2008, 19:21
In hindsight I am now more interested in seeing this when it comes out. I like low budget off beat stuff, I don't think it will be as off beat as I would hope, but contrary to what i said before I now expect it to be better than the first two.

In hindsight I am now more interested in seeing this when it comes out. I like low budget off beat stuff, I don't think it will be as off beat as I would hope, but contrary to what i said before I now expect it to be better than the first two.

(I assume you didn't get U2 to write the soundtrack for it this time at least?)

hangnailproductions
28th Feb 2008, 06:57
Nope. no u2 on this one i'm sure they could have changed elevation to sound like Ascension quite easily though ey? (rubbish idea)

We have all original orchestral score for this one. A really talented guy called Phil mountford you can listen to some of his stuff and a track from the film on his site www.philmountford.com
We also had a new band called TLA (almost TRA??) put a few of their tracks into TombRaider Ascension you can read abit about them here http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/articles/2007/11/27/introducing_this_love_affair_feature.shtml

Steve

naraku
28th Feb 2008, 08:05
Hello hangnailproductions are you hangnailer11? or are you someone else? I hope you didn't take my comments to heart but I wonder if you ever read my post on the Tomb Raider 8 Suggestion Thread and my new post's in L ... A ... U ... X, did you? Since I haven't seen the film is Errol a villain in you're movie? I'm really interested in Errol's Story. And I still haven't found where it says that about her new back story. hangnailer11 sent me a rather rude message but its alright. This new story was news to me when Legend came out and I'm still thinking about Lara's first back story. :confused:

Treeble
28th Feb 2008, 12:11
We have all original orchestral score for this one. A really talented guy called Phil mountford you can listen to some of his stuff and a track from the film on his site www.philmountford.com

I have downloaded the samples a while back and I must say this guy rocks! Excellent stuff. :thumbsup:

hangnailproductions
28th Feb 2008, 12:40
Hello hangnailproductions are you hangnailer11? or are you someone else? I hope you didn't take my comments to heart but I wonder if you ever read my post on the Tomb Raider 8 Suggestion Thread and my new post's in L ... A ... U ... X, did you? Since I haven't seen the film is Errol a villain in you're movie? I'm really interested in Errol's Story. And I still haven't found where it says that about her new back story. hangnailer11 sent me a rather rude message but its alright. This new story was news to me when Legend came out and I'm still thinking about Lara's first back story. :confused:

Hi there

No I am not Hangnailer11 I think this was someone adopting the name and thought they were looking out for our best interests. Hangnailer11 is not attached to Hangnail Productions in any way.
Here is a link to Lara's bio with the bit about Errol, http://www.laracroft.tv/bio.html
I wanted to try and incorporate stories from both Legend and pre legend. However when you're making a film for the big screen (and with so many budget and time restraints) it's sometimes difficult to incorporate every element. For example I'm aware that in one backstory Lara was about nine when her plane crashed in the Himalayas I really wanted Lara to be alot further down the line in terms of reaching adulthood for this to be more effective in our story telling. We do actually have a flashback sequence with a young Lara Croft in the film and I debated to have her do the plane crash sequence but the idea that Lara at nine survives in the Himalayan hills for two weeks was abit of a stretch and although I know my audience are fans and would respect the loyalty to the source there will be lots of audiences that are unaware of the story and as a film maker you have to try and keep an element of realism in there for them. Hope this answers some of your queries And not to ruin it completely but there is reference to Von Croy in there too for us hardcore fans.

I'm debating which clip to upload next maybe i'll upload some screen shots from the four i'm thinking about with a breif description and let you guys vote. What you reckon?

Steve

james987654321
28th Feb 2008, 19:29
I would like to see the clip where Lara is shooting her enemies while doing a cartwheel in that cave. However that may be a major part of the film so u might not want to show it. But it looked really cool

anna_tyrie
29th Feb 2008, 00:07
My name is Anna and I played Lara in this film. I was having a look through the forum and I am pleased to see that most of you like the clip that steve posted. So much hard work went into the making of TRA from a lot of people and its lovely to think that our efforts are appreciated. So I just thought I'd say Hi! :D

Randy 54
29th Feb 2008, 01:11
A big hello to you Anna, and welcome to the forums.

rabid metro
29th Feb 2008, 02:54
My name is Anna and I played Lara in this film ... I just thought I'd say Hi!

Hello Anna (Lady Croft) ...

was the movie as much fun to make as it was to watch?
it seemed like you were having a good time ...

RuumTaedor
29th Feb 2008, 04:39
Hi Anna! Welcome to the Eidos forums.

I only had a chance to see one clip, but I liked what I saw. As Mr. Metro mentioned, it must have been fun being involved in making a film of this type. Tell us more!

james987654321
29th Feb 2008, 09:13
:eek: OH MY GOODNESS! *Star struck* thank you for honouring us with your presence! haha! What was it like to play lara croft, r u a fan of hers?

anna_tyrie
29th Feb 2008, 09:44
I absolutely LOVED playing this role. I have always been a fan of Lara Croft - who wouldn't be, shes a hard core, kickass, intelligent and incredibly sexy lady. I was hooked on the games when I was growing up so getting to do it for real was one of the best experiances of my life so far.

Filming week was amazing - albeit cold constantly - Everyone got on so well and we were shooting at 100mph so there was a fantastic energy on set. I did come away from the shoot covered in scraps and bruises, but it was well worth it.
:D

MercuryRapids
29th Feb 2008, 17:41
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there going to be a DVD release for the film?

hangnailproductions
29th Feb 2008, 18:42
Eventually we hope so but there are lots of hurdles to get over. That decision may be down to Eidos, if they let us, then of course but unfortunately can't put a time scale on something like that.

Steve

pot
2nd Mar 2008, 11:49
Nope. no u2 on this one i'm sure they could have changed elevation to sound like Ascension quite easily though ey? (rubbish idea)

We also had a new band called TLA (almost TRA??) put a few of their tracks into TombRaider Ascension you can read abit about them here http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/articles/2007/11/27/introducing_this_love_affair_feature.shtml

Steve

You could have used the song Levitate Me by the Pixies, far better song, but perhaps not entirely appropriate.

The film score sounds pretty atmospheric and in line with the spirit of Tomb Raider. I always prefer films to have "proper" film music anyway, less commercial.

Couldn't get the streaming tracks for TLA to work with my MAC OS though.

MercuryRapids
5th Mar 2008, 21:18
Eventually we hope so but there are lots of hurdles to get over. That decision may be down to Eidos, if they let us, then of course but unfortunately can't put a time scale on something like that.

Steve

There was a Star Wars fan film out a while back called Revelations. They put a high-quality torrent online for peeps to download. Could that be an option? :)