PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having this problem with Thief 3?

Avalon959579
25th Feb 2008, 11:04
Everything was working fine until I got to the mission where I had to enter the keeper compound via library.... I believe the mission's name is "Ol Brethren... and Betrayer" that it crashes on. Once I've gotten into Orlands office and click on the glyph to start the next mission, the game gives me a debriefing of the next mission, i click start, it loads to 1/4 of the bar or less and crashes to desk top. I've uninstalled the game, reinstalled the game, started an entirely new game to see if my save file was corrupted and I'm still crashing while trying to load that mission. When I originally bought the game (cd version - retail) it crashed at the same place. I've got a new system now and my third cd is trashed, so I purchased the game again from Eidos digitally. Also, ive noticed when it crashes I have over 30 t3.exe processes running when playing from start to that mission, but I figure that's because I have 2 processors thanks to the core duo. Ive tried setting affinity to cpu 0, and/or1 and that isn't helping. I've turned bloom off (whatever that is) and that doesnt help. I've been reading the forumns here and people have been talking about getting stuck on ladders... I had the same problem before I uninstalled and reinstalled the game to go from start to that mission after the game crashed. it fixed that problem, but not this one.

Game version is 1.0, and I was told according to eidos that if I bought it from the vendor (trymedia) it would be updated. It wasn't, and I can't patch it via the download on Eidos's support/download page. I get an error about old data and found new data or something...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model P5K-E (asus board with latest drivers)
System Type X86-based PC
(processor is Intel core 2 duo @ 3.0 Ghz)
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2999 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2999 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0906, 12/10/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
(3 gigs of ram)
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Video cards are twin Diamond ruby edition Ati Radeon 3850 HD with 512 megs of memory each and latest drivers.
Sound card is Sb! Live 24-bit (latest drivers)
keyboard is a 101/02 ps2 keyboard
mouse - microsoft wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 (optical)
resolution in game is 1024x768
no moniter issues so I'll leave that out.
cant think of any other needed spec's... hope what's provided will do

ericjs
13th Mar 2008, 03:00
I'm having that exact problem at that exact spot. Nvidia quadro here, so it sounds like the video driver theory is out. Have you had any luck getting past it since then?:mad2:

Peter_Smith
13th Mar 2008, 04:14
Since it is basically running, I can't be sure this will help. But quite a few people with dual processors need to set affinity of the processes t3.exe and t3main.exe so they both run on a single processor. IMAGECFG doesn't work on t3.exe. So, the fix (if this is it) is to use ProcessWatch to watch both t3.exe and t3main.exe. It can't hurt to try it.

DanekJovax
20th Mar 2008, 00:41
...then the only way to fix it is to get with Eidos support and request a CD copy sent to you.

I have had this exact problem, and that was the only thing that fixed it for my XP system...

...unfortunately, it made my Vista install worse, since now the CD copy CTD's as soon as it tries to load the main menu screen (I'm addressing this in another topic).

Anyways, I hope this helps.

jtr7
20th Mar 2008, 03:39
This is a common glitch. I managed to play through without any of the several bugs I've read many complaints about. Whew!

Most of the time the problem is worked around by downloading save-games (http://web.archive.org/web/20060528211713/http://www.the-neighborhood.com/thief-3-savegames.htm).

Avalon959579
21st Mar 2008, 12:34
I'm having that exact problem at that exact spot. Nvidia quadro here, so it sounds like the video driver theory is out. Have you had any luck getting past it since then?:mad2:

No, I eventually contacted Eidos about it since the vendor I purchased the game from didn't have the latest patch and wouldn't offer any kind of support, they told me I needed to contact Eidos since it was their game. Excellent service not! Eidos asked some questions naturally, and then they sent me the cds at no cost to myself. Now that's service. Haven't used the cd version yet since I rebought the game via steam the same night I made this thread. And haven't gotten the chance to play the game back to that spot. After restarting the game 3 times, it burns you out blazing through the entire game just to debunk that glitch.

Since it is basically running, I can't be sure this will help. But quite a few people with dual processors need to set affinity of the processes t3.exe and t3main.exe so they both run on a single processor. IMAGECFG doesn't work on t3.exe. So, the fix (if this is it) is to use ProcessWatch to watch both t3.exe and t3main.exe. It can't hurt to try it.

Yep, I tried setting the affinity to only 1 cpu; that didnt work for me either. Using the steam version I'm not getting the 40+ open game tabs either. I built this pc so I know what's on it so it's a pretty stable platform, no xtra proggies from software vendors that I don't need/want or even care to be solicited about. Good luck guys!

Peter_Smith
22nd Mar 2008, 03:05
Yep, I tried setting the affinity to only 1 cpu; that didnt work for me either. Using the steam version I'm not getting the 40+ open game tabs either.
But did you set both processes, t3.exe and t3main.exe (like I said) to one CPU? Did you check it afterward? You were not clear on that point, but you make it sound like you did only one.

As for Steam, their versions of Thief have caused lots of problems. Not only that, they have this insidious licensing thing that must call home over the internet every time you play a game. I would not have a Steam product. I caution people not to buy Thief from Steam. You were lucky that Eidos was supportive.

Flak
22nd Mar 2008, 06:58
As for Steam, their versions of Thief have caused lots of problems. Not only that, they have this insidious licensing thing that must call home over the internet every time you play a game. I would not have a Steam product. I caution people not to buy Thief from Steam. You were lucky that Eidos was supportive.

This is not entirely true. Once a Steam game is activated, you don't need to have an active internet connection to play it. Steam will start in "offline mode" and launch the game.

Peter_Smith
22nd Mar 2008, 16:41
Thanks for the clarification. I had read some complaints to the contrary. No personal experience though.

jcfree1970
19th Apr 2008, 04:47
I have the exact same problem loading this keeper compound mission on 2 different computers!!! One is an older XP, the other is a brand spanking new Dell XPS 630 on Vista . Other than the problem with loading this one mission, the game has run flawlessly!

Does anyone have a save game that actually starts in the keeper compound? Mr.Wynd's savegame starts at the end of the Library, so I have the same problem with not being able to start the mission.

I've already tried the usual of uninstalling, reinstalling, compatibility mode, etc. Downloaded the game from the EIDOS site.

Peter_Smith
20th Apr 2008, 16:22
There is a collection of save games out there somewhere. Try a search here and in Google. theBlackman knows the link, but I do not. He has posted it here several times, so a search may bear fruit.

jcfree1970
23rd Apr 2008, 23:24
EIDOS verified that there is a problem with the download version of the game from Trymedia, and EIDOS will be sending me a disk.

I wonder how many customers it takes before someone at EIDOS or Trymedia figures out it would be easier to just update the version of the download game or provide a patch?

Anyway, Maybe sales are low since it's an older game, but I think it totally kicks ars!

C'ya Taffers!