PDA

View Full Version : .Spector talking about games, including DX3. IGN.

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 14:54
Grom GDC 2008 : http://pc.ign.com/articles/853/853794p1.html

Note that Charles Onyett, the writer, wrote "Deux Ex" all the time. :whistle:
Damn bastard!

Just kidding. :o

Edit: IGN already fixed the misspelling.

rokstrombo
21st Feb 2008, 15:15
That's a great interview, thanks for posting.

It's awesome that Warren Spector is so interested in advancing game characters and stories. I agree with his comparisons of Call of Duty with a movie. That's exactly what I said after I played one of them!

I hope Deus Ex 3 is not ruined by hype. Although I must admit I read a lot of good things about System Shock 2 before I finally played it a couple of years ago, and that game exceeded all expectations.

minus0ne
21st Feb 2008, 16:06
Good interview, thanks for that! I'm cautiously looking forward to WS' new project(s) as well. Disney may sound like a weird choice, but don't forget they've produced Tarantino flicks as well, not to mention a great many other projects where the makers enjoyed a lot of freedom (Wes Anderson films, Hitchhiker's Guide, 25th Hour, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Ed Wood, Kinky Boots etc.).

I'm growing more optimistic about DX3 though.

jordan_a
21st Feb 2008, 19:22
Thanks for posting.

"I was mostly talking to some of the execs, I never talked to the development guys, but their hearts are in the right place and I know their intentions are good, so I am cautiously optimistic."

:thumbsup:

Lo Bruto
21st Feb 2008, 19:58
I wish Warren Spector could oversee all the development process... with a Invisible Hand.

:D

rhalibus
21st Feb 2008, 23:24
Warren Spector stated:

I look at my games and I think they're really amazing intellectual experiences, but I have never made a game that had an emotional moment that equaled what the Call of Duty guys achieve on a regular basis, or what the Valve guys achieveā€¦

I respectively disagree. Call of Duty and the games from Valve were great, but no game has come close to the emotional involvement I got from Deus Ex: Simmons executing the NSF soldiers, The chilling first contact from Icarus, Refusing to kill Levedev and watching Navarre do it instead...any one of these events coming out of the immersive environment of DX affects you a lot more than the most "emotional" moment of any rail-shooter.

This is why Deus Ex is special. ;)

WildcatPhoenix
22nd Feb 2008, 01:48
Simmons executing the NSF soldiers

Actually I think it was Caboose who did it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

-Wildcat

Angel/0A
22nd Feb 2008, 15:17
Actually I think it was Caboose who did it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

-Wildcat
*O'Malley ;)

Lucifer
22nd Feb 2008, 19:38
Warren Spector stated:

I respectively disagree. Call of Duty and the games from Valve were great, but no game has come close to the emotional involvement I got from Deus Ex: Simmons executing the NSF soldiers, The chilling first contact from Icarus, Refusing to kill Levedev and watching Navarre do it instead...any one of these events coming out of the immersive environment of DX affects you a lot more than the most "emotional" moment of any rail-shooter.

I agree with you on 100%

Lo Bruto
22nd Feb 2008, 20:09
Warren Spector stated:

Yep... seeing Paul's body in MJ12 facility when you escape by the window in his apartment is so sad. When I first saw it I just thought "I'm so ****ed up"... He was the reference of what I was supposed to be in the game... he was always there to give me advices (and prod charges too. :nut: )

Blade_hunter
22nd Feb 2008, 20:33
Changing the events was one the best thing in DX's games and it give each playthrough interresting and restart a new game to made something different as the previous game.
Killing or knocking the ennemies makes some differences in game
some actions will affect the game and it's enjoyable :)

And thanks for the link :)

Frog
24th Feb 2008, 16:20
Thanks for posting.

"I was mostly talking to some of the execs, I never talked to the development guys, but their hearts are in the right place and I know their intentions are good, so I am cautiously optimistic."

:thumbsup:
That is great to hear! I can't wait to see some in-game screenshots, CG, and concept art for this game!

Smoke Screen
26th Feb 2008, 01:08

To be honest both System Shock games achieved this also in a brilliant way. The new Bioshock was kinda disappointing here and
felt a couple steps backwards in gamemechanics and structure.

lightbringerrr
26th Feb 2008, 02:28
No Warren Spector?

And...the pre-order box goes BACK ON THE SHELF! LOL!!!

Just Kidding. Who knows, maybe the new crew will elevate the franchise to a spectacular new level. I hope so.

Don't MAKE ME come Canada new crew!!!

lightbringerrr
26th Feb 2008, 02:31
On a diffrent note:
Watching Edward Norton play a character like "Smoochy" is disorienting my brain...

Necros
8th Mar 2008, 11:27
Warren Spector stated:

100% true! I think he was being too humble. :) CoD never reached a level where I would really care about any of the soldiers. HL 2: EP2 had a few nice moments but that's it, though the end was quite good. The Brothers in Arms games on the other hand were great in this regard as well (just to mention something else too).

Edx
8th Mar 2008, 12:11
No Warren Spector?

And...the pre-order box goes BACK ON THE SHELF! LOL!!!

You didnt know he wasnt involved?

Ed

IcarusIsLookingForYou
8th Mar 2008, 15:06
No Warren Spector?

Considering he was involved in creating IW and it sucked anyway, it doesn't really matter. Besides, Spector has even said himself that he's tired of doing the types of games he used to create. No sense having him involved in a project he isn't passionate about.

Having a new team, with a fresh perspective, creating DX3 is going to have either miraculous or disastrous results. But let's face it, it's the best shot we have.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Mar 2008, 12:25
Considering he was involved in creating IW and it sucked anyway, it doesn't really matter. Besides, Spector has even said himself that he's tired of doing the types of games he used to create. No sense having him involved in a project he isn't passionate about.

Specter is THE reason DX became DX. Even in the interview, his constant theme is about the character interactions and especially the dialogue.

This is what sets DX apart from other games, it's full of talk, and more complex character interactions. Spector also tried to interject EMOTION and FEELINGS (how you feel in the situation, and how you can related even to supposely enemies).

No game made me feel actually sorry in shooting a thug. DX can.

Specter isn't everything, but he's spot on with dialogue and AI.