PDA

View Full Version : Essential Level Design Themes of Deus Ex

rhalibus
18th Feb 2008, 07:28
I've noticed several ongoing design themes pervading throughout the levels of Deus Ex; A particular theme I love was incorporated in some of my favorite levels, and I hope they use it a lot in DX3:

The theme can be described as a sequential combination of "Analysis / Infiltration / Payoff"; in which the player first goes on a covert exploration to find an entrance or solution, then chooses an entry or action, and then receives the reward.

Example levels are Liberty Island, UNATCO HQ, and the Vandenberg Missle Silo, to name a few. Most of these levels revolved around a centrally or secretly located goal (Statue of Liberty, UNATCO HQ exit, elevator to silo level) that you had to locate by sneaking around until you were satisfied that you acquired enough infiltration options of which to choose. You then had to decide which option was best--which totally immersed you in the DX world.

I've had the most fun in DX when I was dropped into a level in which I knew the approximate location of my goal, but not the best way to access it...Leaning around corners and knowing that if you saw too many guards you could try a different tactic--this was the essence of Deus Ex.

What are other themes people have enjoyed--the ones that were essential to the soul of Deus Ex gameplay? Here are a few others I can think of:

SENSE OF WONDER - a discovery of an enormous scale or otherness that awes you for a second. (First view of cargo tanker, the Helios DNA structure, the bottomless air vent at Area 51.)

RESCUE - Infiltration, sometimes with a timing or sleuth element. (Tiffany rescue, Jock's helicopter sabotage.)

MORAL CHOICE - Being able to choose the consequence of major NPCs based solely on your actions. (Leo Gold, Lebedev, Paul Denton.)

INFORMATION RETRIEVAL - Exploring non-hostile environments, usually talking to and learning about NPCs. (UNATCO, Hong Kong, Paris.)

Post your favorite themes! :)

Lo Bruto
18th Feb 2008, 20:20
When Jock drops you off of the top of the catacombs, there are small windows just by your side... you can use you sniper rifle (or any other long range weapon) to kill the commandos that are down there in the Streets, and these two maps are separated by a Loading Screen... Get to the big picture, I could kill a enemy in a different Map than the one I were...

This is what Sniping is supposed to be... :)
Marvelous sense of wonder...

AI Prototype
19th Feb 2008, 00:03
That was a great part of Deus Ex. I can't quite recall the same kind of thing in Invisible War. It seems like they were afraid to make big open areas.

But yeah virtually every level of Deus Ex was laid out with the same underlying philosophy of giving the player full choice and freedom. You can case the area, take your time, look at the defenses, and then make a choice. I also liked how the other routes weren't closed off once you chose one. You could take one route and eliminate all the defenses you encounter, then back track and go through the alternate route, confident that when you take out that last cluster of enemies, you've left nobody else alive or conscious to interfere.

I think maybe another recurring theme was that every problem was solveable by: physical violence, or stealth, or negotiation, or information gathering, or by using skills (lockpicking, multitooling, hacking). They did a good job of mixing it up though, requiring you to pick usually two methods out of those five.

I hope DX3 continues with that, allowing the player a great deal of self expression and then tailoring subsequent dialog to match the player's choices and style.

"Don't worry about what the guys are saying about Hell's Kitchen. You had other priorities."

gamer0004
19th Feb 2008, 18:03
When Jock drops you off of the top of the catacombs, there are small windows just by your side... you can use you sniper rifle (or any other long range weapon) to kill the commandos that are down there in the Streets, and these two maps are separated by a Loading Screen... Get to the big picture, I could kill a enemy in a different Map than the one I were...

The maps aren't seperated. I thought so too but opn my last playthrough I discovered that it wasn't.
BTW: those windows are ideal to find out whether it is possible to take out a military bot using only an assault rifle and a pistol :D

Lo Bruto
19th Feb 2008, 19:24
The maps aren't seperated. I thought so too but opn my last playthrough I discovered that it wasn't.
BTW: those windows are ideal to find out whether it is possible to take out a military bot using only an assault rifle and a pistol :D

They aren't? I remeber a Loading Screen before I climbed up to the the streets from the sewers...
So, it must have been after the actual catacombs where Chad is... my mistake...

madeye
20th Feb 2008, 03:51
I guess my favorite theme would have to be Exploration. My favorite level was the Hong Kong level... there was so much to explore there. I loved the urban setting and how you could go into different areas like the police hq and chow's residence.

mouse
12th Mar 2008, 19:20
Not actually a design theme, but I loved to get criminal... that is to break into shops and appartements and loot everything :cool:

all in all a very 'important design philosophy' ... as a top-secret superagent you've to gather every resources ;)

I pity that that you couldn't take over the position of Sandras pimp *cough*