PDA

View Full Version : Tomb raider AOD ideas

LCraider08
18th Feb 2008, 07:27
Even though AOD wasn't the best game idea, I really did like when you have a cutscene and you have to talk to people and you get to choose which line you want to say, and it affects your outcome. It would be neat to have that in UNDerworld except, I don;t know how many humans we are going to come across...

Bampire
18th Feb 2008, 08:18
Meh, that just ruins the true nostalgia from the game, anyway.

Good idea, but I think it'd just ruin it for most people. The only thing that ruined it for me, with that game was how low and slow Lara was.. But it'd not hurt to re-play it once more. I still haven't finished it.. I don't even have it. D:

Treeble
18th Feb 2008, 10:25
That was one of the RPG elements that wasn't properly implemented in the game -- in very few occasions (I can only think of one), being rude would make an actual difference to gameplay, so the player would always end up for being polite. The character development is the same as in the regular cutscenes, however, except it breaks down the gameplay flow (and as far as I understand, it's an interactive cutscene anyway, and poeple don't seem to like those that much... :rasp: )

TDK
18th Feb 2008, 10:52
umm not bad idea to talk to ppl i would luv to see tht agin :D and solving puzzles in the game should be not only for moving objects no we should read things too just like Sherlock Holmes :D

Sadistic Raider
18th Feb 2008, 14:38
AOD ideas? That would be a NO, thank you. And fyi Tomb Raider is not an RPG and Lara Croft is not Sherlock Holmes. What's wrong with you people trying to make Tomb Raider into something it is not? :confused:

LCraider08
19th Feb 2008, 02:39
AOD ideas? That would be a NO, thank you. And fyi Tomb Raider is not an RPG and Lara Croft is not Sherlock Holmes. What's wrong with you people trying to make Tomb Raider into something it is not? :confused:

I'm pretty sure every game has some sort of RPG involvement in it.. "talking to people" like in cutscenes. If you think that what I am suggesting is RPG, than I guess you would think the superaction cutscenes are RPG too, since we do the buttons in the cutscenes, just like we would choose what she would say in the cutscene. I agree, it does slow it down a bit and AOD was not the best game of the TR series, BUT i do like the aspect of being able to choose what she says, from like three sentences.

rabid metro
19th Feb 2008, 06:25
...BUT i do like the aspect of being able to choose what she says, from like three sentences...

unfortunately, i think this was an idea that was proven to have very little appeal across the broad spectrum of raiders ...
:cool:

William Croft
19th Feb 2008, 12:00
I did like the fact that you were able to choose what she said it gave you more control of her although it did have its bad side which i'm not sure what it is was......:scratch:

Mangar The Dark
19th Feb 2008, 14:44
I think AOD had a LOT of good ideas, but they just weren't implemented well.

Talking to people in cutscenes was definitely one of those ideas that I liked, and I wished it had played a more crucial role in the outcome of situations. Not necessarily that a wrong response would get you killed, but that it would send you off in a different direction. When Legend came out, I was a bit disappointed that, rather than trying to improve on some of the new ideas in AOD, they simply scrapped them all and made perhaps the simplest, most arcadey TR ever. Not to say it wasn't fun, but it didn't offer anything really different.
Even AODs RPG elements, such as increasing strength, seemed like they could have added a lot to the experience IF they were handled better. Instead, they became nothing more than cheap ways to add extra steps to mundane puzzles ("wanna hang on this pole? Well, first you have to go over there and pull that rock so you'll be strong enough! ha!" Lame.)

So, yeah, long story short, I'd love it if TRU brought back the dialogue system from AOD, as long as they made it so that the conversations played a more vital part in the adventure. Kind of like those old LucasArts graphic adventures used to be.

Sadistic Raider
19th Feb 2008, 16:58
I'm pretty sure every game has some sort of RPG involvement in it.. "talking to people" like in cutscenes. If you think that what I am suggesting is RPG, than I guess you would think the superaction cutscenes are RPG too, since we do the buttons in the cutscenes, just like we would choose what she would say in the cutscene. I agree, it does slow it down a bit and AOD was not the best game of the TR series, BUT i do like the aspect of being able to choose what she says, from like three sentences.

I'm not saying that games never have any RPG elements, I'm just saying that I'm not interested in having some of them (like choosing what she says in dialogues) in Underworld. You have your opinion, I have mine. And for the record I didn't like the interactive cutscenes at all, did you know that? Oh yeah, you're in for a big surprise! I mean, pressing a botton to decide if Lara lives or dies? That's a kind of interaction I don't need.

LCraider08
19th Feb 2008, 18:39
:o
I'm not saying that games never have any RPG elements, I'm just saying that I'm not interested in having some of them (like choosing what she says in dialogues) in Underworld. You have your opinion, I have mine. And for the record I didn't like the interactive cutscenes at all, did you know that? Oh yeah, you're in for a big surprise! I mean, pressing a botton to decide if Lara lives or dies? That's a kind of interaction I don't need.

I guess all the little things that they put into TR are sorta pointless and odd, but when you put them all together, it really makes a good game. I just can't wait for Underworld, it seems to be really anticipated for TR series.

Mangar The Dark
19th Feb 2008, 20:56

I think dialogue choices, though, can be a lot more interesting than the types of interactive cutscenes we saw in TRL and TRA... IF they're handled better than they were in AOD. Think about it-- it could effect the way situations in the game are overcome. For example, maybe you could sweettalk a rival archeaologist into giving you what you want, or, if you say the wrong thing, you'd have to fight him. BUT, maybe if you fight him, you get a valuable weapon (or whatever) after the fight, which you may not have gotten if you tried to sugar him up with sweet talk. This is just a very basic example, of course, but the point is, dialogue choices should have some noticeable outcome on the gameplay, but they should not result in instant death if you say the wrong thing.
Another example-- if you say the right thing to someone, maybe he/she gives you a password that you'll need later to enter a particular area. If you said the wrong thing, you won't get the password, and you'll have to find another way into that area.

Sadistic Raider
19th Feb 2008, 23:08
I think dialogue choices, though, can be a lot more interesting than the types of interactive cutscenes we saw in TRL and TRA... IF they're handled better than they were in AOD. Think about it-- it could effect the way situations in the game are overcome. For example, maybe you could sweettalk a rival archeaologist into giving you what you want, or, if you say the wrong thing, you'd have to fight him. BUT, maybe if you fight him, you get a valuable weapon (or whatever) after the fight, which you may not have gotten if you tried to sugar him up with sweet talk. This is just a very basic example, of course, but the point is, dialogue choices should have some noticeable outcome on the gameplay, but they should not result in instant death if you say the wrong thing.
Another example-- if you say the right thing to someone, maybe he/she gives you a password that you'll need later to enter a particular area. If you said the wrong thing, you won't get the password, and you'll have to find another way into that area.

I get your point, put I still think that having to make dialogue choices does slow the game down a lot, and slow remembers me of AOD, and that's not good **** lol so if they are going to bring dialogue choices back they better work really hard not to make them boring, because they totally sucked in AOD...