PDA

View Full Version : Please consider



outworld8
18th Feb 2008, 06:59
There is one very important reason that many games fail on pc. (Many people I talk to agree) Make the game for pc first then port to console. Making the game for console first is extremely bad for the interface abilities of the game.

rhalibus
19th Feb 2008, 03:28
Unfortunately Crysis--arguably one of the best games of the year--didn't sell a lot of copies. (It might have been the high PC requirements, but go figure.) Crytek is now porting Crysis to next-gen consoles...

Bioshock only got 20% of its sales from PC; the other 80% was from the XBox 360. We just might be in an era in which AAA titles will always be written to include console development. The best we can hope for is a respectful consideration of the mouse-based interface...:rolleyes:

Papy
19th Feb 2008, 08:34
Am I the only one who thinks the differences between "console" games and "PC" games are not only limited to the interface? Deus Ex to Invisible War. System Shock 2 to Bioshock. Morrowind to Oblivion (I didn't like either of two, but that's not the point). Do I need to go on? With all these games sequels (or "spiritual successor") that went from PC centric to console centric, the interface didn't bothered me, it was the gameplay that I felt was wrong. I mean... I still play from time to time with Colecovision and Intellivision emulators, so obviously I really don't mind a "console" interface.

I'm playing Gothic 2 right now (from the Gothic Universe release), and even though it's interface could directly be ported to consoles and gamepads without noticeable modifications, which I guess means its interface could be qualified as console like, this game doesn't feel like a "console" game at all.

Also, Thief : Deadly Shadows was a good PC - console game (the divided levels, the city part, and some things missing like rope arrows and swimming, were annoying, but not game breaking). Of course, I heard it didn't sell that well on console... Which makes me think console gamers really don't like games with a PC like feeling. This is not about an interface, I don't think console players complained about Deadly Shadows interface, but obviously the gameplay was not interesting enough to people who play only on consoles.

To me, interfaces are really a minor thing. I do have two gamepads and a joystick plugged on my computer, and I don't mind using them. Again, am I the only one?

(BTW, if someone from Eidos read this, just forget what I said! Thief : DS was a great "console" game. :whistle: )

Kneo24
19th Feb 2008, 10:44
Unfortunately Crysis--arguably one of the best games of the year--didn't sell a lot of copies. (It might have been the high PC requirements, but go figure.) Crytek is now porting Crysis to next-gen consoles...

Bioshock only got 20% of its sales from PC; the other 80% was from the XBox 360. We just might be in an era in which AAA titles will always be written to include console development. The best we can hope for is a respectful consideration of the mouse-based interface...:rolleyes:

Those games lacked in gameplay, that's why. Console gamers generally don't require much from gameplay like a PC gamer does.

Xcom
19th Feb 2008, 17:41
Unfortunately Crysis--arguably one of the best games of the year--didn't sell a lot of copies.

According to EA it sold over million copies... which seems kind of odd to me given that it's PC only, and more than that -- it's very high-end PC-only game. Perhaps they counted illegally downloaded copies in their statistics.. LOL. Well, if true, then it's not that bad. Besides, I don't think Crysis is the type of game that was made to generate profit anyhow. It is more of an technology advertisement than a game. CryTek is planning to compete with Epic's UE3.

Lo Bruto
19th Feb 2008, 19:12
According to EA it sold over million copies... which seems kind of odd to me given that it's PC only, and more than that -- it's very high-end PC-only game. Perhaps they counted illegally downloaded copies in their statistics.. LOL. Well, if true, then it's not that bad. Besides, I don't think Crysis is the type of game that was made to generate profit anyhow. It is more of an technology advertisement than a game. CryTek is planning to compete with Epic's UE3.

Crysis was just created for the kids ask theirs daddies new PCs and corporations like Alienware profit... this is the true... it's all about the money... all about the damn god money... :nut:

Unfortunately, I'm on my own... and my PC is pretty crappy :D
But I still can play DX, hell yeah!

IcarusIsLookingForYou
3rd Mar 2008, 22:55
Am I the only one who thinks the differences between "console" games and "PC" games are not only limited to the interface? Deus Ex to Invisible War. System Shock 2 to Bioshock. Morrowind to Oblivion

It's not really an issue of different interfaces, but an issue of that damned term, "streamlining." The gaming industry has made so much money by making an appeal to casual gamers and they've done that by removing "complicated" gameplay features. That's why a ton of great skills and weapons were removed from Oblivion. Its exactly why all of the RPG elements were sucked out of Bioshock. Although PCs have far more functionality and versatility than consoles, there's no technical reason for the "dumbing down" of a game. Unfortunately, its all about marketing...

Dave W
3rd Mar 2008, 23:38
There is one very important reason that many games fail on pc. (Many people I talk to agree) Make the game for pc first then port to console. Making the game for console first is extremely bad for the interface abilities of the game.

Ok, let's assume games fail on the PC because they're made cross-platform (not the case with IW, by the way). Your argument to make it for the PC first then port it would make sense if it wasn't that the PC market is nowhere near as big as the console market.

Unstoppable
4th Mar 2008, 03:11
Unfortunately Crysis--arguably one of the best games of the year--didn't sell a lot of copies. (It might have been the high PC requirements, but go figure.) Crytek is now porting Crysis to next-gen consoles...

Bioshock only got 20% of its sales from PC; the other 80% was from the XBox 360. We just might be in an era in which AAA titles will always be written to include console development. The best we can hope for is a respectful consideration of the mouse-based interface...:rolleyes:

This is false. Crysis has sold over 1 million worldwide.

MiB
5th Mar 2008, 15:48
Anyway,


In my opinion, I hope that Deus Ex 3 wont fail to the easy plot and fast-finished game that was DX2.

I dont know if the company spent much time to do DX2, but it looked and felt like they finished it in a rush.

sorry for all the people involved, because they did a good job, but the feeling was that.

I think that console games are too much action-oriented. not to stop and think and be so tactic than in pc. ( yes, there are console games very tactic, but pc gets even more thru gamin history).