PDA

View Full Version : Love Interest?

LCraider08
18th Feb 2008, 06:49
who agrees that a love interest should be involved..i really wish that throughout the games there was someone that wanted her (like in the movies) and she was too busy with the Tombs :) I know in AOD, there was Kurt, but he sucked and so did that game. I just think it would be alot more fun with a cliffhanger on a male interest...and some sex. you gotta have some love makin for the girl..:)

Bampire
18th Feb 2008, 06:56
You also forgot Larson from TR1/TRA.. But she ended up killing him.... By shooting his shoulders... And not in the head or the chest... Yeah...

LCraider08
18th Feb 2008, 07:13
thats why i didnt put him on here because she beat that boy up! dont you agree with me on a love interest...im not saying make it a romance novel drama cry baby chick flick, but it would be nice to have a little lovin

TDK
18th Feb 2008, 10:53
nooo i dont like it at all it will be just like the films and it was reall (sorry for this) it was stupid and silly lara is a one hero !

Spong
18th Feb 2008, 11:57
I agree with TDK, a love interest in Tomb Raider would be a terrible idea. It was poorly implemented in the movies and would be nothing but wholly out of place in the games. It's bad enough that the games have changed insurmountably as it is without Crystal Dynamics shoehorning in some ill-placed romance as well.

It's completely superfluous, when has Lara ever needed to rely on a man to raid tombs? She is and always has been a fiercely independent woman, why water that down?

Tomb-Dude
18th Feb 2008, 12:43
I would like if there was a male tomb raider going after the same artifact that she was going after and she thought he was kinda fit? And at the end she had to kill him but she found it really hard kinda thing but other then that no sex Lara isn't a one to sleep with any random guy who she finds a tomb... She has been for 10 years the woman who ends up killing the guys never getting anywhere except Kurtis? Which i found strange... But no.... Other then her thinking they are fit but no lovey dovey!

Spong
18th Feb 2008, 13:08
Camaraderie & competition between Lara and a male adversary is all well & good, but no chemistry. I imagine Lara as the kind of woman who just doesn't "do" love in the biblical sense. She's the consummate professional at what she does, raiding tombs is her love.

@Crystal Dynamics
Please don't put a love interest in the game, with everything else you've done that'd be the final nail in the coffin.

Sadistic Raider
18th Feb 2008, 14:43
I don't agree, I think it wouldn't do anything for the game...

ditom
18th Feb 2008, 15:34
nooo i dont like it at all it will be just like the films and it was reall (sorry for this) it was stupid and silly lara is a one hero !

I agree.
This is Tomb Raider not Romeo and Juliet.

BurialGown
18th Feb 2008, 17:22
Yes and No Hahaha :: )))) Yes she is a Tomb Raider, but the way the love interest was involved in AOD was quite good ... It wasn't that officious actually :)

TouchOfPink
18th Feb 2008, 22:19
Yes she is a Tomb Raider, but the way the love interest was involved in AOD was quite good ... It wasn't that officious actually :)

I agree :)

LCraider08
19th Feb 2008, 01:20
It really wouldn't fit, since she does do everything on her own...sometimes I just see her as being way to "butch" with her being her own woman and out smarting the guys. Yes its great and everything and yes lara is the last bit butch but do you understand what I'm saying? Girl power all the way but the girl has to have more feelings than just for tombs...I dont know it was just an idea..but it would kinda ruin the game...BUT i wasn't going towards romeo and juliet...

rabid metro
19th Feb 2008, 06:05
... certainly not a sappy, school girl love interest. that just makes no sense ...
however, a compelling storyline love interest is plausible ... maybe that could be something like Lara encountering an independent, intelligent, mysterious figure that circumstantially is always there for Lara in a time of need. So she develops an interest and discovers that this guy is also very powerful, so she makes plans ... still, this is tomb raider, so inevitably its gotta turn out that this guy has intentionally baited Lara into the relationship with the intent of getting his hands on her ... noteworthy artifacts. so then Lara faces a dilemma: fall for this guy or do the right thing ... leading to boss battle and Lara being ... well Lara (a true fighter (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/christinaaguilera/fighter.html))!
:cool:

...@Crystal Dynamics Please don't put a love interest in the game, with everything else you've done that'd be the final nail in the coffin.
hmmmmmm ... my sense is that CD is building an ark, not a coffin ...

Angie Croft
19th Feb 2008, 15:29
Love in the game.....huh....:whistle:
I wouldn't mind - as long as they don't turn it into a soap opera, or Lara ends up killing the guy...

LCraider08
20th Feb 2008, 01:11
[QUOTE=rabid metro;731863]... certainly not a sappy, school girl love interest. that just makes no sense ...
however, a compelling storyline love interest is plausible ... maybe that could be something like Lara encountering an independent, intelligent, mysterious figure that circumstantially is always there for Lara in a time of need. So she develops an interest and discovers that this guy is also very powerful, so she makes plans ... still, this is tomb raider, so inevitably its gotta turn out that this guy has intentionally baited Lara into the relationship with the intent of getting his hands on her ... noteworthy artifacts. so then Lara faces a dilemma: fall for this guy or do the right thing ... leading to boss battle and Lara being ... well Lara (a true fighter (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/christinaaguilera/fighter.html))!
QUOTE]

I have always wanted ZIp or Allister to fall for Lara...mainly ZIp..just cause they would be soo cute together...Allister is just...annoying and a lil ****

LCraider08
20th Feb 2008, 03:13
here is some links for you that crack me up. Please tell me that watching these you wouldn't mind alittle something like this in Underworld :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KWi1YPpEtBg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3t03jIJBY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmvxlnXZ9nw&feature=related

naraku
20th Feb 2008, 05:34
I agree with TDK, a love interest in Tomb Raider would be a terrible idea. It was poorly implemented in the movies and would be nothing but wholly out of place in the games. It's bad enough that the games have changed insurmountably as it is without Crystal Dynamics shoehorning in some ill-placed romance as well.

It's completely superfluous, when has Lara ever needed to rely on a man to raid tombs? She is and always has been a fiercely independent woman, why water that down?

TR Chronicles: Zip helped. TR Legends: Zip and Alister. Maybe she could date Zip.

rabid metro
20th Feb 2008, 22:09
... Maybe she could date Zip.

your comment reminded me of an old thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=67946) ...

Chadster
21st Feb 2008, 07:49
your comment reminded me of an old thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=67946) ...

That link was hilarious! As soon as I get a good screenshot I might bring it back...?

naraku
21st Feb 2008, 08:41
I forgot to mention Kurtis Trent helped in AOD for those Trent fans:p If you call locking Lara in and taking her guns away as helping:rolleyes: :

Larapink
22nd Feb 2008, 13:12
You also forgot Larson from TR1/TRA.. But she ended up killing him.... By shooting his shoulders... And not in the head or the chest... Yeah...
He could be still alive she shot his shoulders, I was thinking Lara and Larson would make a good couple, lol not really.

Larahair
23rd Feb 2008, 05:09
Ohhhh mighty yehhhhhh gotta have a little raider to keep raiding on
maybe Lara and her daughter could raid together now that would be
so cool! The whole family going out raiding!

Larahair
23rd Feb 2008, 05:23
Love interest
New guy another raider
Game - Kurtis Trent
Movie - Hilary

William Croft
26th Feb 2008, 16:28
Hmmm. While were playing Tomb Raider I would like her to stick to raiding tombs. As for her free time, Go for it Lara ;)

Fickji
26th Feb 2008, 16:53
IF, IF, IF (i can't help stressing the ifs) she does have a love interest then they need to do it right.

It must be a guy she can respect. Like another raider. Also he must be the competion. This sparks the whole chemistry thing off. And if he is after what she is after something has to happen at the end. Like she leaves him in a percaraus (bad spell) situation. Like under a boulder. :p
Or she finds out that he's married.

She can't kill him. I hated that in the tomb raider 2 movie. They also did that with Larson (unless Larson didn't really die ... oohh)

However I don't see the whole sidekick thing for a love interest. Like Kurtis

Thats Lara's minion buddies jobs (Zip and Alistor) to be sidekicks I mean.

Headache
2nd Mar 2008, 20:44
Ummm.

Let me think.

NO!

That would entirely ruin the game for me as that's not what TR is about.

Wess~Gamer
2nd Mar 2008, 20:54
NO!

agreed!

Larapink
2nd Mar 2008, 22:17
NO!

Why whats wrong with Lara having feelings for a male in the game, she is a human video game character after all.

Larapink
2nd Mar 2008, 22:35
who agrees that a love interest should be involved..i really wish that throughout the games there was someone that wanted her (like in the movies) and she was too busy with the Tombs :) I know in AOD, there was Kurt, but he sucked and so did that game. I just think it would be alot more fun with a cliffhanger on a male interest...and some sex. you gotta have some love makin for the girl..:)
I agree with you there, Kurtis did not have much of an important role. Why is it always Kurtis everyone always finds him as a love interest and people forget about poor Larson who had real potential to be Lara's love interest. Toby Gard (creator of Tomb Raider) said that they have quite a bit of chemistry on the commentary in the Lost Island level in Anniversary and that Larson clearly liked her. She did feel alot of emotions after shooting and (she might have killed him but we don't know for sure) becuase she shot his shoulders. Anyway if Crystal Dynamics and Toby come to a decision about a love interest I think they should bring back Larson and give him a second chance.

Fickji
2nd Mar 2008, 23:51
Does anyone remember Alex West from the first Tomb Raider movie?

Not that I think that they would use him in the games but it still worked in the movie. Didn't it?

Larapink
2nd Mar 2008, 23:55
Does anyone remember Alex West from the first Tomb Raider movie?

Not that I think that they would use him in the games but it still worked in the movie. Didn't it?
We are talking about the game not the film.

Fickji
3rd Mar 2008, 03:52
OH, OH, they had a love interest in the comics too. Can't remember his name. Then again he got killed off in the 17th? comic anyways.

Ok, Ok, we're talking about the games and not the whole other side of the spectrum of the Lara Croft romance things. But when you get down to it ... she's only had two guys who seemed to like her. Kurtis Trent and Larson.

So why can't she have some hot stud drooling over her? The guy adventure games always have a romantic interest. Why is it so different for Lara? Is it just that she's a girl? Or is that there are guys out there that don't want their fantasy's replaced by a virtual boy toy? Why does she need some loving? What can't she just like a guy and not do anything with him? How many times did you actually see her kiss anyone.

AND WHY DO I SOUND LIKE A RADIO ANOUNCER WITH MY INSISTANT QUESTIONING????

Note to self: Lay off of caffine at 11:21pm eastern standard time

Headache
3rd Mar 2008, 17:28
Why whats wrong with Lara having feelings for a male in the game, she is a human video game character after all.
Because that's a typical game theme. Movie theme. TV theme. Whatever. Love interest is an often expected thing in cases like this. I'd like to think that TR is it's own element... A young, attractive woman, very independent and fearless. We don't need a male ego detracting from any of that. At least, I don't.

Laionidas
4th Mar 2008, 20:33
Girl power all the way but the girl has to have more feelings than just for tombs...

Not unlikely, but I've always regarded Lara as a person that doesn't make much of her love life public, e.g. by showing it off it in a video game. Makes sense as well, if you're the daugther of a lord or (in this case and) with international scum tailing you on so many of your expeditions.

james987654321
5th Mar 2008, 03:53
We are talking about the game not the film.

Its tombraider none the less so we can talk about the movie and see what worked and what didnt, i think they should introduce a love interest like alex west but just as a side story to add a little extra interest. He should be another tombraider and lara's competition, however he is a GOOD guy and lara falls for him... dnt knw how it will work or if it even will, it will just be interesting to see lara like that... in looove. :p She should show more emotion so every1 can relate to her better, athough her stoic, mysterious demeanor is kinda sexy.

Larahair
5th Mar 2008, 05:38
Make tr a modern soap opera like Home and Away and Neghbours but better

Laionidas
5th Mar 2008, 10:24
like alex west (...) He should be another tombraider and lara's competition, however he is a GOOD guy and lara falls for hi

Please, don't let Lara fall in love with the typical Hollywood badass,..

If she has to be in love and it has to be known in the game, let her love an English nobleman or something, one that keeps well away from danger and hunts foxes :P Else let her fall in love with a local pastryshop owner or any of the many "historical advisors/scholars" that must be assisting her.

Mangar The Dark
5th Mar 2008, 16:15
If she has to be in love and it has to be known in the game, let her love an English nobleman or something, one that keeps well away from danger and hunts foxes .

Somehow, I don't think that would be her type. She's adventurous, so why would she want to hook up with some guy who sits around sipping tea? And, would she approve of someone who hunts foxes? We already saw in Legend that she regrets having to kill animals. In her case, at least, it's self defense. For fox hunters, it's basically just murder, which I don't think would sit well with her. ;)

Laionidas
5th Mar 2008, 17:27
Somehow, I don't think that would be her type. She's adventurous, so why would she want to hook up with some guy who sits around sipping tea? And, would she approve of someone who hunts foxes? We already saw in Legend that she regrets having to kill animals. In her case, at least, it's self defense. For fox hunters, it's basically just murder, which I don't think would sit well with her. ;)

Because for the other to be even exactly the same as you, is incredibly dull and boring in a relationship. Well ok, that's my personal opinion; but don't you think Lara might actually want to "use" her love to take a break from all the adventure? And surely Lara is open minded enough to be able to love such a guy even if she would resent hunting foxes. Also, what's is wrong with sipping tea? :whistle:

Fickji
5th Mar 2008, 17:40
I just realized something interesting. Alex West from the first movie and Chase Carver from the comic book LOOK exactly like Larson.

Anyways the point is probably null and void. She is looking for her mother and the way to Avalon to find her mother.

Laionidas
let her love an English nobleman or something, one that keeps well away from danger and hunts foxes :P Else let her fall in love with a local pastryshop owner or any of the many "historical advisors/scholars" that must be assisting her.

Funny:D So she goes racing off all over the world and yet she's in love with the pastryshop owner. Maybe its just the dougnuts and pies.
HEY a girl still needs to eat.

Drink more tea - its good for you.

Larahair
6th Mar 2008, 02:18
Not Larsen cause he is not a smart man and Lara needs someone smart. Trying to hook Lara up with a guy is so hard. She probably gets more dates than I do man..........

Falcon
8th Mar 2008, 07:26
This post is hailarious. Pastry man!! :D

No I think a love intrest would be intresting. But CD must make it mesterious and secretive. She meets a guy outside of tomb raiding, say she goes rock climbing. Little competition from another climber, starts chatting blah blah blah blah. Then keeps it secret, with a mesterious phone call, occasional letter:rolleyes: . I don't want to know who the guy is just he should be ordinary not too mucho, i can't see lara with a body builder. And the guy should think lara's just this very adventurous person. He doesn't know she's a rich countess/tomb raider, and she doesn't want him to know because she's afraid he'll think she's crazy and dump her. Then in about 5 games we find out who this mysterious person is, and so do the baddies:mad2:. Then they try to manipulate Lara by taking the guy hostage or somethin. Then alister and zip are all confused, who's this guy why's lara so upset. Then the whole mystery unravels. Of course with so extra serious raiding and taveling all over the world.

OH this souds like a romance/adventure novel. i'm gonna shut up now! :scratch:

Larahair
8th Mar 2008, 09:47
This post is hailarious. Pastry man!! :D

No I think a love intrest would be intresting. But CD must make it mesterious and secretive. She meets a guy outside of tomb raiding, say she goes rock climbing. Little competition from another climber, starts chatting blah blah blah blah. Then keeps it secret, with a mesterious phone call, occasional letter:rolleyes: . I don't want to know who the guy is just he should be ordinary not too mucho, i can't see lara with a body builder. And the guy should think lara's just this very adventurous person. He doesn't know she's a rich countess/tomb raider, and she doesn't want him to know because she's afraid he'll think she's crazy and dump her. Then in about 5 games we find out who this mysterious person is, and so do the baddies:mad2:. Then they try to manipulate Lara by taking the guy hostage or somethin. Then alister and zip are all confused, who's this guy why's lara so upset. Then the whole mystery unravels. Of course with so extra serious raiding and taveling all over the world.

OH this souds like a romance/adventure novel. i'm gonna shut up now! :scratch:

Sounds like a soap opera I say go for it. Lara should have it all the husband, pet and the kids

Laionidas
8th Mar 2008, 10:16
No, no kids. They are a liability when you go climbing mountains without gear every six months or so.

Larapink
9th Mar 2008, 02:16
Not Larsen cause he is not a smart man and Lara needs someone smart. Trying to hook Lara up with a guy is so hard. She probably gets more dates than I do man..........
Why not? His Anniversary self he has much improved from the orginal Larson they have made him in TRA to be much smarter and must I say a very very hot guy indeed ;)

rabid metro
9th Mar 2008, 05:05
... His Anniversary self he has much improved from the orginal Larson they have made him in TRA to be much smarter and must I say a very very hot guy indeed...

unfortunately, Larson is very cold now (and has been for over 10 years).
i think the restriction on zombies effectively rules out Larson returning ...

... unless Larson is revealed to be (the immortal) Tihocan suffering from memory loss or something ...

BlakeNowah
9th Mar 2008, 07:34

I think it might be risky to attach a love story to the game. Maybe a teasing one, like crossing paths with.. Let's call him Anthony Wayne, young archeologist, not very good with weapons. He has his own agenda and for a while they work together for a commune purpose (say, finding a person).
Lara would be commited to protect Anthony, but at the end they would part ways!

Laionidas
9th Mar 2008, 10:38
I think it might be risky to attach a love story to the game. Maybe a teasing one, like crossing paths with.. Let's call him Anthony Wayne, young archeologist, not very good with weapons. He has his own agenda and for a while they work together for a commune purpose (say, finding a person).
Lara would be commited to protect Anthony, but at the end they would part ways!

I'm a young archaeologist XD

Fickji
9th Mar 2008, 20:05
rabid metro
unfortunately, Larson is very cold now (and has been for over 10 years).
i think the restriction on zombies effectively rules out Larson returning ...

spoiler:
... unless Larson is revealed to be (the immortal) Tihocan suffering from memory loss or something ...

Hee, hee. Tihocan was missing from his crypt wasn't he? Maybe he'll be Lara's new love interest. Or he turns out to be the "Merlin" type figure in the large monomyth. Maybe even both. :D

Larapink
9th Mar 2008, 21:23
Hee, hee. Tihocan was missing from his crypt wasn't he? Maybe he'll be Lara's new love interest. Or he turns out to be the "Merlin" type figure in the large monomyth. Maybe even both. :D
Interesting theory, but I think it's highly unlikely Larson is not Tihocan.

LaraCroftRox
11th Mar 2008, 15:05
Who is kurtis that everyones talking about? A love interest would ruin Lara Croft. something like with her and Larson is fine but anything else would ruin her.:rolleyes:

Spong
11th Mar 2008, 15:34
Kurtis is the male character in Angel of Darkness that you play as at one point and he represents the closest Lara has come to "chemistry" in any of the games.

Laionidas
11th Mar 2008, 16:45
Kurtis is the male character in Angel of Darkness that you play as at one point and he represents the closest Lara has come to "chemistry" in any of the games.

But a bit one-sided wasn't it and AoD doesn't really count. Bit of spin off, that was actually cancelled since part 2 and 3 were never made.

Fickji
11th Mar 2008, 17:16
He still there floating around in the TR universe. Maybe they will explain what happened in Underworld to Kurtis. I must have answers.

Wasn't she wanted by the cops and such. OOOH the lost game between AOD and TRL.

As to the love interest. I've been thinking (always bad when I think).

There can be no true love in Lara's life but the tombs she's always raiding. Thats her real love interest.

Laionidas
11th Mar 2008, 17:32
Wasn't she wanted by the cops and such. OOOH the lost game between AOD and TRL..

1. That would be two games.

2. Legend isn't a sequal to AoD, the AoD storyline was simply cancelled because it sucked.

Fickji
11th Mar 2008, 17:41
1. That would be two games.

2. Legend isn't a sequal to AoD, the AoD storyline was simply cancelled because it sucked.

I know that. Thats why I said it was lost. :D

And thank the developers for pulling the plug (YIPPIE for no more AOD2/3) BUT as they are the developers they could always do something else. Just because somethings lost doesn't mean its forgotten.

Laionidas
11th Mar 2008, 19:25
I know that. Thats why I said it was lost. :D

And thank the developers for pulling the plug (YIPPIE for no more AOD2/3) BUT as they are the developers they could always do something else. Just because somethings lost doesn't mean its forgotten.

Well I think that forgetting AoD is exactly what they want us to and what I want too :D

Katin-ka
18th Mar 2008, 13:10
I think THE ONLY guy that suits Lara and her character -is Kurtis! He is smart, attractive, and also adventurer....and good guy of course! All other candidates arent concurent-able!
Just look at that..so cute..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj8IuQFiUpA

Laionidas
18th Mar 2008, 16:12
I think THE ONLY guy that suits Lara and her character -is Kurtis! He is smart, attractive, and also adventurer....and good guy of course! All other candidates arent concurent-able!
Just look at that..so cute..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj8IuQFiUpA

Someone give that guy a decent razor and a haircut,..

Imaginary Whisk
19th Mar 2008, 07:15
I think one of the reasons they introduced Kurtis was because they(Core) we're planing on branching the series out and not focusing entirely on Lara.

naraku
19th Mar 2008, 08:11
Larson + Lara had more chemistry than Lara + Kurtis

Someone give that guy a decent razor and a haircut,..:lmao:
Here here. He did look like a like a bum. :whistle:

melviso
19th Mar 2008, 11:50
A love interest can't be totally ruled out.I personally think its high time that girl got some sparks in her life.Except for tomb raiding,her life is really boring.
I think she should meet some dude who is very tough,some chemistry but they never become the it couple.They cross paths every now and then.Something of that sorts....someone investigating phenomenoms or the UNEXPLAINED;)

Icetea555
19th Mar 2008, 19:30
It would be nice to bring a little love interest in the game. At lest we will now that she has someone in her life they she loves to. And why not it would not hurt to put it there anyway they did in AOD and it tun out to be good and it wasn't the may plot of the game either it just had a little love interest there and it work perfectly in TRAOD. I say bring a little to TRU to even if it is not Kurtis she should have some one she loves. It would make it more of a reality anyways.:D

Moosey1020
21st Mar 2008, 03:02
it would be so stupid have a love interest i hated when kurtis came in and im sure ill hate if they put in another.aod was a tragedy (story wise)lets not repeat it****

laralova101
21st Mar 2008, 03:16
Lara should have a love interest i dont no, i loved the character kurtis, despite AOD being a realy bad game it was kurtis who kept me playing just so i could see what would happen next between him and Lara. kurtis added flavour, i dont see why in TRU Lara cant have a little love interest as long as it is only a interest I dont want Lara to start a family or marry. i dont think she is ready to settle down yet or maybe its me who is not ready for her to settle down either way i dont want it to get to Hollywood!

Imaginary Whisk
21st Mar 2008, 08:24
I think the closest thing you guys or gals will get is a reoccurring flirt. xD

That was probably the basic idea behind Kurtis, but I can only speculate as I'm pretty sure Core's plot wont be coming back any time soon.... if ever. xD

POSSL
21st Mar 2008, 20:50
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last two games where already messed up due to linearity and short playing time, and you want to mess it up even more with stupid romance????
Lara doesn´t need a man, she needs tombs, putting romance in the game would sc#ew everything up.

Now, if you want to put a man in the game, like Pierre, searching the same thing she does and in the end they fight against each other than its OK.

ms croft
3rd Apr 2008, 10:33
sorry 2 spoil ur fun ppl bt ive herd a rumour tht kurtis trent frm AoD is cummin bk nd him nd lara may end up as more than friends ;) nd after all tht lara has bin thru i think tht she deserves sum happiness in her life

Mangar The Dark
3rd Apr 2008, 15:02
putting romance in the game would sc#ew everything up.

How, specifically, would it screw "everything" up? She'd still be raiding tombs, leaping from dangerous ledges, shooting bad guys, etc, etc. A romance would just add a new element to her character and to the storyline... maybe give her a new motivation. If handled properly, I don't see why it couldn't work. And even if the romance element of the game did fizzle, it wouldn't necessarily ruin the actual gameplay.
Really, it all just comes down to how it's implemented. I think it COULD work.

Also, there are plenty of games in which the male protagonist has a female love interest, and nobody ever thinks it makes the guy less of a man because he loves a woman, so why do some people have the strange notion that Lara would somehow be less of a strong woman if she loved a man? I don't get that. Isn't it possible to be strong AND have feelings for someone else?

Not saying I necessarily want a love interest, I just don't get why some people are so sure it would be a bad thing and would somehow weaken Lara's character.

JonSnow
3rd Apr 2008, 17:50
You've GOT to be flippin' kiddin' me...

Go watch some Hentai or something... wtf???????

It's a Tomb Raider GAME...

What is WRONG with you people?

:mad2: :mad2:

Mangar The Dark
3rd Apr 2008, 20:07
You've GOT to be flippin' kiddin' me...

Go watch some Hentai or something... wtf???????

It's a Tomb Raider GAME...

What is WRONG with you people?

:mad2: :mad2:

Ok, seriously, you need to relax. Nothing is "wrong" with us people.
I honestly don't get what's the big deal. Indiana Jones always has love interests and no one gets bent out of shape about it. Why can't Lara?

Imaginary Whisk
3rd Apr 2008, 21:05
I think the problem with Indie was that he always had a different one, he's like James Bond but only less of a womanizer. And his adventures weren't as inter-connected as they're making her's now. :/

JonSnow
3rd Apr 2008, 21:47
Ok, seriously, you need to relax. Nothing is "wrong" with us people.
I honestly don't get what's the big deal. Indiana Jones always has love interests and no one gets bent out of shape about it. Why can't Lara?

Indiana Jones is a movie character... STARTED as a movie.

Tomb Raider is a game character... STARTED as a game.

There's no NEED for Lara Croft: TOMB RAIDER to have a LOVE interest.

Rai
3rd Apr 2008, 22:13
Well they will with remarks like that one, Jon. Good grief, was that really necessary? It's not as if they have that in game already. All anyone is doing is stating an opinion. Just because some one's opinions differs to yours doesn't mean you have to react that...immaturely and fly off the handle.****

If you don't like the idea of a love interest for Lara, then fine. State your case and be done. But you don't own Lara nor the Tomb Raider franchise, so whatever story that is come up with, if you don't like, you don't have to play. Simple. Or you could play for the Tomb Raiding and be peeved at the storyline. Your choice.

I can't see a problem with some mild flirtation. Sure, Lara is a self assured, intelligent and strong willed/minded individual who doesn't need a man to make her complete. But I can't see what harm it would do if she had love interest - as long as they don't make it the main focus in the game story. The odd flirt or witty/playful remark in a cut scene might even spice things up a bit.

Lara is just a character, TR is just a game, but if story line is something that is incorporated into the game, then why not a bit of flirting - there's no need for the whole love thing necessarily. What's wrong with adding to it? A love interest doesn't mean the raiding will be affected, be less important. And if they make it so the flirting is with a rival - think of the possibilities. fireworks. ;)

Fickji
4th Apr 2008, 01:27
JonSnow **** **** ****

You made me blush, there may be children present.

And I think you don't grasp the concept of love interest. No kissing, foreplay or anything else has to happen with a love interest. Thats why its an interest.

Flirting would be fine but no marrage or babies or well, anything else.

Other games w/ love interests: Prince of Persia, Uncharted, Far Cry, give me some more examples posters. I know theres more out there. Maybe w/ guys but why can't girls.

just.tim
4th Apr 2008, 03:39
agent 47 and lara... hot

Mangar The Dark
4th Apr 2008, 12:45
Other games w/ love interests: Prince of Persia, Uncharted, Far Cry, give me some more examples posters. I know theres more out there. Maybe w/ guys but why can't girls.

The Broken Sword series is another. And Dreamfall (if you're looking for a female protagonist with a love interest-- in fact, Zoe has two love interests in that game.) The list goes on and on. In fact, throughout the history of books, movies, AND games, one of the main motivations for the protagonist has been a love interest.

I think the problem is, some people think it makes Lara less of a strong, independent woman if she's attracted to a guy. But if a guy is attracted to a woman, nobody thinks anything of that (in fact, they think it's odd if he isn't.)

JonSnow made the argument that Tomb Raider is a game, whereas Indiana Jones is a movie, so things are different. I disagree. These days, plots in games are becoming as complex (and sometimes much more complex) than plots in movies, and game designers are trying to flesh out their characters to make them as fully developed as possible. A love interest would merely be another possible step towards making Lara seem more real.

Again, I'm not saying I necessarily want them to go in that direction. I'm just saying I could see why they would, and if it's handled properly, I would have no problem with it.

Miss. Croft
6th Apr 2008, 03:07
Hmmm.. no i dont want Lara to have a 'love interest' in TRU or in the next up coming games. Maybe, on the last TR game, yes a love interest would be good, that way when Laras kid grows up, she becomes just like her mother lol :D But otherwise no. I like her 'Falling in love all over again' with ancient tombs and civilistations & nature :D than a man. Just a thought...:)

Sandra Croft
6th Apr 2008, 11:06
Everyone needs love or they aren´t human. Maybe if Lara got her heart broken it would explain why she would be finished with men, kind of how Casino Royale explains why James Bond never falls in love again.

Imaginary Whisk
7th Apr 2008, 18:44
Believe it or not, some people can go a very long time without feeling love. A prolonged lack of any single emotion has just as strong of an effect as exposer to it. Different people can deal with things such as this in different ways, and Lara's personality & priorities don't give her much room for swooning over other people. I think if anything the best we'll be seeing for a while might be an occasional flirtly comment with [Insert Character Name Here]. :whistle:

I don't think love is going to be much of a factor in the scenario that she's in at the current stage of this series, possibly future installments, but I don't think they're gonna be making an attempt any time soon with Core's fumbling attempt with Kurtis' still in recent memory. :/

Just my 2 cents. Or maybe just 1 cent & a button that was in my pocket. ö_Ö

quick-cookie
12th Apr 2008, 18:49
Love or not, Lara needs offspring, lets face it she aint getting any younger...how old is she now anyway? 37? 40?

i c 2 ways of keepin the series alive in a non Bondesque(Bond is 100?) way.

1: She gets a daugther, to continue after Lara,, Lara could have a daughter named Laura?
2: Fountain of youth/Idun's(a norse goddess) apples of youth.
3: Clone herself..........a Lara croft clone army...

So as i said love or not love,,, there kinda have to b a guy in the mix for nr 1.

(Note: do not take this post 100% seriously, take it bout 50/50)

Arctic
14th Apr 2008, 14:44
I would like to know what happened to Kurtis. It doesn't mean that he have to come back, but at least it would be nice to know if he is dead or not.
A new love interest could be interesting, but I don't think Lara and him should start a relationship.
But NOT sex! It just doesn't fit Tomb Raider!

diTaykan
18th Apr 2008, 04:17
For a love interest, I don't like Kurtis.

Larson. Please, Larson. They interacted, teased each other, seemed to have had a long-standing knowledge of each other, and his 'death' (I don't think he's dead, even if it's wishful thinking) visibly affected her.

That, and I just think that Larson and Lara had more chemistry. A lot more.

Peterburger
18th Apr 2008, 17:45
The Theme of Love was discucced enough in the Comics, where Lara seemed to have met an old Friend of her, Chase Carver, whom she had to shoot his name onto the aim-card, for reminding him on old love and giving him that smelling-away kiss, after which she invited him to her car to the Restaurant and so on.
Lara Croft is an Icon and not to be spoiled by those ugly phantasies of blue-eyed "hey-show-me-sex-at-the-whole-screen".
I prefer, for example, to behave in public also accurate and icon-like.
Whom I let into my privat-sphere, may have sex with me, if not an ugly bastard.
But to destroy the game by blue-eyed phantasies is not any-one's will or wish. The Icon stays the Icon and not a lousy bull**** for people without character. them are enough in the world.
I don't like such people.

May Lara Croft live well and prosper!! A Life long!!

Fickji
19th Apr 2008, 21:48
They killed Chase Carver off in the comics. Lara also may have kissed him (more like he kissed her without her wanting him too) but she held a grudge. Go after what she's looking for when you know thats what she wants and its like you betrayed and backstabbed her. Watch out.

Peterburger
20th Apr 2008, 00:56
Lara Croft kissed Chase Carver and not he her. The intriguing part of the Love-Story was perhaps the Trick, when she got out of the Bath and he stood in the Door and threw an Eye on her Backside naked.
But a Man, who goes up and kisses some Woman without her Permission, as You explain this, is an ugly Bastard. The Lady ALWAYS does the first Step.
But I feel really no need to let Lara Croft been shown in a Love-Story.
She is an Ego-Shooter, living Alone all the Time and glad with this Way of Life.
The same Way I do behave.
When a Girl goes up to Me and wants to kiss with Me, like yesterday Evening a Lady with my Friends, we do this with Pleasure. Else I live completely alone on my Own. Well, I will invite her into my Single-Appartment ofcourse tomorrow, but this is our Private-Sphere and of NO Interest At All to any Outstanding Person. Single-Livings do not share their sexual Experiences. They are Personalities for themselves. That is Enough.

May Lara Croft live long and prosper!!

Anarae
27th Apr 2008, 15:03
I always thought of Lara as timeless. For ages she's had a birthday but never a year. What ruined it for me was that Kurtis' birth year was revealed and they should be about the same age. So it sort of put a time clock on Lara for me. Until then I've crawled into a pit of denial and decided that Lara is ageless. I really don't want Tomb Raider to turn into something like the new Indiana Jones film where he's old/rusty at raiding and some new kid is stepping up to the plate.

As for love interest, I vote Kurtis. In the films neither Alex West nor Terry were good enough for her. They couldn't keep up and they were both corruptible men. Lara has a gift for being incorruptible. Kurtis can't do half of what Lara can, BUT he has Kinetic powers, which don't suck in Tomb Raiding. Lara wouldn't have to depend on him, but he's someone that could be counted on if she needed to be in two places at once.

I could deal with Lara having children and continuing her legend, but we all know that Lara wouldn't be exactly cheerful letting her daughter or son go jumping off cliffs, fighting evil entities, and facing biologically screwed up monsters.

Peterburger
27th Apr 2008, 16:41
You are soo true, Anarae,

the Story with Chase Carver got to the End, when both - Lara and Curtis - were giving their final Forces to save each-other. Alas Chase had to get off the Plot that time. He was the one, who wasted the Money from the Galleone in the Casino, wasn't he? And kissing did she him first. Yet only the poetic face-picture, when she breathes the Kiss onto Chase - I could not either way, than painting the Picture greater and putting it onto my Window in the Flat.
You are true, she would be the simply PERFECT MOTHER. At my Ages actually (and always having been), she would have behaved to her Children the same way, I did.
Well, I brought my Child every day to the Kindergarden, went with her to the swimming school regularly, we were with the Family at the Beaches to exercise swimming, including diving and all styles of movements. But the Segment of the Beach, Father (Me) visited usually alone - the naked beach - stood for always the Secret to the Family. There Me was alone only.

Kurtis might show her the magical characters and entities. But he played a simply too small role in all the adventures. His movements were either too incorrect to behave as a Lover.

But why should Lara Croft, as a Single-Ego-Shooter at all have a Love-Affair in her Public Performances?
She acts there as the most perfect character on Earth. With no touch in any crime or violence. She solves the Guessers of the Story-Line, does the heavy work and finishes each game succesfully.
For that she may after this then find her closure again for the next passing period of relax on her own, like I am absolutely alone on my own in my Single-Apartment. My Parents did not throw me from this. I chose no new girl-friend or Wife. I do behave on this perfect Single-Dream simply, too.
It gives so much Force.
And no-one should spoil it by any 'virtual-love-affair'.

Lara Croft comes now up to the ages, where one has got still about 30 years to fight efficiently and significantly. The Family-Life is behind. The Single-Life is actual. And who knows, what shall come around in the 30 years left.
When that point after the next 30 years happens, I will for sure go with confidence. It was worth living. But I ad no Luck at all.
But I had Lara Croft.
This is enough for Me.

On the Behalf of Lara Henshingley Croft!!

Imaginary Whisk
28th Apr 2008, 04:27
A new kid stepping up to the plate might be what this genre needs, unfortunately. But that's just from my stand-point.

I am more of a Tomb Raider fan, than a Lara fan. I'm sure there's possibly at least a another couple of needles in this haystack that liked the platforming and puzzle-solving, over watching sassy conversations and straightforward gunfights. Probably the folly of my ways, but one thing I don't think her character needs, at least for the time being, is a love interest. :scratch:

Katin-ka
1st Jun 2008, 00:03
just look at that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy_IVLstr0&feature=related
that guy(who madethis)is really talanted!:thumbsup:

Guardian of the Ankh
1st Jun 2008, 21:04
I totally agree with you man:thumbsup: :thumbsup: they also should improve the size of her skinny booty & thighs, and make the size of her breast from TR AOD.